Home
Posted By: scbigben Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Planning a trip out west with the family this summer. We will be to flying into Salt Lake City in early July and plan to go north into Wyoming and Montana. Trip will be from Wednesday through Friday the following week and we will be flying home out of Salt Lake City. Looking for suggestions on must see locations and experiences as well as possible routes to take.

Thanks!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Can't speak to WY as I've only driven across part of it.

And didn't spend much time in MT but if you get up that way you might want to check out Glacier NP. Probably be a bit crowded that time of year, maybe the MT folks can speak to that. Awfully nice park for sure. Going to the Sun road is a bit of a trip, unless they've ruined it since I was there in '96 or so.
Posted By: seppli Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
I'm assuming you'll be headed from Salt Lake to Jackson/Grand Teton/Yellowstone. Make the first leg of the trip more scenic by driving Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) from Kamas,UT, to Evanston, WY. Then head towards Daniel/Cora, WY, up to the Green River Lakes for a day. From there, you can get back on Highway 189 to Hoback Junction and up 89 to Jackson.

There is lodging in Pinedale and some of the other small towns along the way, camping is allowed on most BLM and forest service lands.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Browning Firearm Museum in Ogden UT.
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Tetons and Black Hills. Glacier is incredible. Inadequate parking for hiking spots. We drove up and down a few times. Yellowstone is in there but not my favorite
Posted By: CCCC Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Big country - long drives between some points of interest - but true natural beauty to be seen and enjoyed. After traveling through those areas many times, I tend to skirt tourist attractions and enjoy some more remote places where one can feel the greatness as well as view it. If you want such, some of us here can recommend routes off the Interstates - but your group needs to wannadothat.
Posted By: Robster Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
RMEF headquarters in Missoula
Charles Russel museum in Great Falls
Posted By: Robster Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
And CCCC is spot on in his comments.
Posted By: longarm Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Skip Oregon. It sucks. Learned that right here on the Fire! You're welcome.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Dons99 Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Haven't been but heard the Cody Firearms Museum is fantastic.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
The Cody museum is the best memory I have of my Yellowstone trip.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Originally Posted by longarm
Skip Oregon. It sucks. Learned that right here on the Fire! You're welcome.

Yea...same here Utah is full up..head to MT

Hit up Sammo & Big Jim

They maybe have ya throw some hay bales in July

The suggestion of Mirror Hwy 150...outta the way

Beautiful drive.......full of SLC peeps getting outta the city...drive aware

I'm wayy south of all that

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Sounds like some good ideas. My wife and I are going to Glacier this summer and I was looking for some side trips on the way out or the return trip.
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
Don't pet the fluffy cows.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
I hear that the prime rib at the Mint in Big Sandy is good.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Trip Out West - 04/05/24
See the Tetons, Yellowstone, then over the Beartooth Hwy are a must, the Cody Museum is fantastic if you like guns and the Old West. If you are near the Custer battle sight go.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Montana ain’t West.

Ocean is West.

P
Posted By: pointer Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by seppli
I'm assuming you'll be headed from Salt Lake to Jackson/Grand Teton/Yellowstone. Make the first leg of the trip more scenic by driving Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) from Kamas,UT, to Evanston, WY. Then head towards Daniel/Cora, WY, up to the Green River Lakes for a day. From there, you can get back on Highway 189 to Hoback Junction and up 89 to Jackson.

There is lodging in Pinedale and some of the other small towns along the way, camping is allowed on most BLM and forest service lands.
I'd second this, but suggest on either the outbound or returning trip to be sure to get past Bear Lake on the ID/WY/UT border. Be sure to get a milkshake! If doing it on the return trip, after Bear Lake you can head through Logan Canyon into Logan, UT and back towards the airport. That route back will also take you past Antelope Island. Is worth a short stop. Get to see some bison, smell the Salt Lake wink and possibly see some bighorn sheep and very big mule deer.
Posted By: Osky Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
I would make a point to stop at the Custer battlefield.. then again I’m a breed.
If you swing far enough east the black hills are worth a look.

Osky
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by Osky
I would make a point to stop at the Custer battlefield.. then again I’m a breed.

Osky

I've never been.

Is it only breeds that want to go? Haha!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
I am always delighted to serve as tour guide to the Browning and/or Hill AFB museums, if you'd like to see those. Figure half a day total, including lunch.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I am always delighted to serve as tour guide to the Browning and/or Hill AFB museums, if you'd like to see those. Figure half a day total, including lunch.

Meet this man.

You won't regret it.
One vital tip: I see SC in your screen name. If you are coming here from near sea level, do NOT plan on doing any hiking or strenuous activity. We're a mile higher and the air here is not what you are used to. One flight of stairs may leave you wheezing. And bring lots of sun block and skin lotion.
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by seppli

I'm guessing you'll have a rental car, you will appreciate it on the dirt road up to Green River lakes. Washboardy sumbich, but the veiw is worth it!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Osky

I've never been.

Nah Jim, just trying to revel in the old glory. Can’t find a lot of those places around.
Kidding of course.

Osky

Osky

I've never been.

Nah Jim, just trying to revel in the old glory. Can’t find a lot of those places around.
Kidding of course.

Osky

Haha!

Gotta take what you can get.

There probably aren't any famous Eskimo battle grounds.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
One vital tip: I see SC in your screen name. If you are coming here from near sea level, do NOT plan on doing any hiking or strenuous activity. We're a mile higher and the air here is not what you are used to. One flight of stairs may leave you wheezing. And bring lots of sun block and skin lotion.

what Rocky said

Along with......supply your group with a tube of Chapstick each

The 10% humidity will kick your butt

You'll be 'lickin your lips & pickin your nose'
Posted By: IDMilton Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
If it were me, I’d start with a day in Salt Lake. I’d go see the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day Saints Temple Square. Lots of cool history about the pioneers and the west and interactive displays, etc

maybe lunch at the spaghetti factory in trolley Square and then out to see the great Salt Lake may be going out to antelope Island if you’re going to swiim so you can see what its like to float in that much salt water, plan on getting a shower at the hotel soon after

North to Ogden and the Browning museum and then just head up I15. Turning on the highway 20 in Idaho Falls. Heading towards West Yellowsto if your family likes to fly fish, Island Park has some good fishing and then Mesa Falls scenic loop is beautiful

you could head into Yellowstone at the town of West Yellowstone, but in July the parks are all ridiculously crowded. Rather than fight for parking etc. it really might be worth it to just get on a guided bus trip

After you are back to a rental car, having seen the hot pots, the Grand Canyon of the Park, etc. you could travel east through the park and come out at Cody for the great Museum, and from there head out to see the Tetons

Glacier Park is also really, really crowded. I would highly advise getting on the free tour bus at the park hotel and letting them drive you to all the sites.

If you end up going to the Custer battlefield, you’ll be going through the bitterroot valley. Dozens of good hiking trails in the Bitterroot.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
A wide brimmed hat protects the tops of the ears. Check your meds for “increased sensitivity to the sun”…. I got toasted in less than half an hour at Yellowstone years ago.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
A wide brimmed hat protects the tops of the ears. Check your meds for “increased sensitivity to the sun”…. I got toasted in less than half an hour at Yellowstone years ago.

Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^

High elevation sunshine can be brutal
Posted By: ipopum Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
One thing to consider is that most of these locations are a long distance from each other. Yellowstone to Glacier is approx. 450 miles.

I have not driven from Yellowstone to the Black Hills for a while but it must be approx. 400 miles.

lots of driving time from place to place..
Posted By: Epishemore Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
https://buckrail.com/wydot-to-implement-tolls-on-wy22-over-teton-pass/
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
The mid west will be fun, sounds like you have a plan.
Posted By: tripod3 Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Yellowstone is cool with unique features, I equally liked Glacier even when sticking close to the road, going out of the park and back in to Many, then taking a day trip into Canada.
Saw a fool try to take a fifth wheel up the posted Sun road, a few curves and stuck. The citation and tow trucks were like $12,000 while we all waited on the slope. Betting he didn't brag about that at home.
Not enough time to type all the errors people made while I was there including several deaths.
I will go again to enjoy the high elevation cool nights and especially like that showers are available as the parks were created intentionally with none.

Osky

I've never been.

Kidding of course.

Osky

Haha!

Gotta take what you can get.

There probably aren't any famous Eskimo battle grounds.

Are you kidding Jim, nearly every day was a battle just to keep from freezing or starving to death up in that country. Who had time to fight each other?

Osky
Posted By: PJ65 Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by navlav8r

Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^

High elevation sunshine can be brutal
Not to mention the smog in SLC.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
I'll second or third the guys writing about the distances out there. It was pretty funny when I rode my Harley out west and the wife asked what will I do if I have trouble? I'll just walk to the nearest farm house I remember saying! Wrong. You can near see the curvature of the earth before you will see the next farm house out there. Anyway, if you get to "The Park", what the locals call Glacier, if you are a flat lander who isn't use to mountains and heights, I'd recommend that you buy a ticket to those red Going To The Sun Highway busses. I was breaking a nervous sweat just riding the bus! Driving it I'd have had a death grip on the wheel and wouldn't have taken my eyes off the road.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Enjoy your trip and take all of those memories home with you. It certainly will be a lot more memorable than just driving around the east coast areas. I still recall my first trip to Montana in 1969. Our Explorer Post, went to Glacier and hiked 190 some miles in Glacier and then over into Watertown I.P.P. in Alberta.

One of my most remember-able summers of my youth. Got back home to Virginia and the Shenandoah's looked like Kansas to us who went on the trip.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by ipopum
One thing to consider is that most of these locations are a long distance from each other. Yellowstone to Glacier is approx. 450 miles.

I have not driven from Yellowstone to the Black Hills for a while but it must be approx. 400 miles.

What ipopem states above is spot on.

It’s big country out west. Very expansive. Heck, it is a 10 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Glacier National Park. And there is a lot of scenery and places to see between the two.

Glacier is awesome. Yellowstone is pretty good, but the crowds make it a little less enjoyable.

Butte, Missoula, are always a favorite.

I’d pick a few places to see and not try to see it all unless you want a 2 week driving tour with little time out of the car. It will bring the “Are we there yet?” to a whole new level.

I’ve lived out west my whole life, been about everywhere, but I still ain’t seen it all.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by flagstaff

It’s big country out west. Very expansive. Heck, it is a 10 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Glacier National Park. And there is a lot of scenery and places to see between the two.

Glacier is awesome. Yellowstone is pretty good, but the crowds make it a little less enjoyable.

I’d pick a few places to see and not try to see it all unless you want a 2 week driving tour with little time out of the car. It will bring the “Are we there yet?” to a whole new level.

I’ve lived out west my whole life, been about everywhere, but I still ain’t seen it all.

To add a little more to what I wrote above, the County I live in is bigger than 6 of the States - combined. Can you imagine seeing 6 of the States in a two week trip?

It’s a big place out west, so don’t try to see it all in a short trip. Focus on some places and really experience and enjoy those places would be my recommendation.
Good gawd....what are you stopping in Missoula for?

Butte I can kinda see.....maybe.
The Butte Hole of Montana? Nothing to seek there but delicious pasties. (The food kind, not the strip joint kind. But they have both in Butte.)

I agree about Missoula, though. Nice city to drive past.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Glacier, and the entire area is great, Wish I had float fished the Flathead, May go back just to do that. Could spend several days right there around GNP

Yellowstone was very enjoyable, Some might spend one day there, We could spend a week there, Go early in the season and rise early, you can beat the crowds,

Numerous Parks right in Utah, Moab, Zion etc…….You could spend several days just in Utah alone, We spent a week there in 3 different locations, in just the southern half Utah.

Drive time can be lengthy between destinations.

You could spend weeks even months trying to see all that interests you, You have about 10 days? It will go quicker than you think.
Originally Posted by scbigben
Planning a trip out west with the family this summer. We will be to flying into Salt Lake City in early July and plan to go north into Wyoming and Montana. Trip will be from Wednesday through Friday the following week and we will be flying home out of Salt Lake City. Looking for suggestions on must see locations and experiences as well as possible routes to take.

Thanks!

Enjoy your trip

Although the security at SLC airport isn't what they claimed to be

Some dude went past security barriers

Climbed into a jet engine on the tarmac....

Pilot started engines...dude ded right now
This

he ded now

Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Trip Out West - 04/06/24
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Montana ain’t West.

Ocean is West.

P

I’d gladly trade a blue ribbon yellow perch and rock bass trip for one of your salmon trips!
Posted By: scbigben Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are in SC so the point about hiking at altitude is noted and very helpful. The highest altitude I have been at for longer than a connecting flight is Breckenridge which is around 9600 and that was a challenge to walk the streets. We have 10 days, including travel days, so one concern is biting off more travel than we can chew during that time. We will also have our kids who are 15, 13 and 10 so we need to be sensitive to drive times between locations. Given time constraints we have decided to focus on areas in SLC, north to Bozeman and West to Cody. I don't think we will have time to make it to Glacier given how far out of the way it is relative to the other locations we will be seeing. Likewise, I would like to see Arches National park in Utah but it is somewhat out of the way and would require a full day it appears.
The Browning museum as well as the Cody Museum will be mandatory. The Teton's, SLC, Yellowstone, Beartooth and a stop in Montana will also be on the list as well. I would love to see Deadwood, Black Hills, Devils tower etc but I think it would be too far out of the way for us to cover in the time we have.

Any suggestions on places to stay or additional advice on routes are appreciated.
Posted By: pointer Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
With kids that age, I'd book hotels now in at most 3 locations then ask for things to do near there. Just doing SLC, Teton NP, and Yellowstone, I'd estimate 1/2 of that 10 days is gonna be spent in the car...

When in around SLC, might want to consider looking into some of the summer activities that the ski resorts offer. Something like the Alpine slide would be of interest to the kids.
https://www.snowbird.com/summer-activities/
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
The Butte Hole of Montana? Nothing to seek there but delicious pasties. (The food kind, not the strip joint kind. But they have both in Butte.)

I always liked Butte. Was once one of the richest cities in the world because the mine. I love the street after street of Victorian homes. Very cool architecture. I liked the mine museum and the Clark mansion. Clark was one of the richest men in the world. Became a US Senator. Founded Clarkdale, Arizona and Clark County, Nevada. He was the Jeff Bazos of the period.

Whatever you do, treat your family to a huckleberry shake available in Montana. You’re welcome!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
I have been exploring Montana for over 70 years and haven’t seen it all yet. The vastness is off the charts. Because of its diversity and immensity, Montana includes everything from arid high plains to the Rocky Mountains in the west. Lewis and Clark spent more time in what would become Montana on the Corps Of Discovery than any other state.

From the headwaters of the Missouri River, (which is longer than the Mississippi River) to Fort Peck and all its tributaries, you could see how commerce was built on rivers during the frontier times. The History is huge and sights outside of the historical places make for a destination that you could spend weeks exploring.

Whatever you do, don’t bypass the Custer Battlefield. It is one of the most significant battles in American history. They are tearing down the old visitors center to rebuild it before the upcoming 150th anniversary in 2026. The battlefield itself is something you won’t experience anywhere else. Markers show where every trooper was found after the battle. There is something special about the battlefield you won’t be able to deny. Don’t miss it!
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
I understand the desire to fly and eliminate travel time.
But it's a damn shame.

Everyone should take a road trip across (at least most) of our country at least once.

Including me.

Other than coast to coast trucking and hunting trips, all balls to the walls.
One big regret was the weeks long trip with the kids we could never get time for,
or afford. Seems like life has given us money, or free time. Never together.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24

They closed down the Paul Bunyan sandwich shop. Not over it yet.

I was born there....but see no need to return.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are in SC so the point about hiking at altitude is noted and very helpful. The highest altitude I have been at for longer than a connecting flight is Breckenridge which is around 9600 and that was a challenge to walk the streets. We have 10 days, including travel days, so one concern is biting off more travel than we can chew during that time. We will also have our kids who are 15, 13 and 10 so we need to be sensitive to drive times between locations. Given time constraints we have decided to focus on areas in SLC, north to Bozeman and West to Cody. I don't think we will have time to make it to Glacier given how far out of the way it is relative to the other locations we will be seeing. Likewise, I would like to see Arches National park in Utah but it is somewhat out of the way and would require a full day it appears.
The Browning museum as well as the Cody Museum will be mandatory. The Teton's, SLC, Yellowstone, Beartooth and a stop in Montana will also be on the list as well. I would love to see Deadwood, Black Hills, Devils tower etc but I think it would be too far out of the way for us to cover in the time we have.

Any suggestions on places to stay or additional advice on routes are appreciated.

Seems like a very, very ambitious itinerary, especially with 3 kids of that age.

The firearms museum in Cody, at a rushed pace, is a half day alone,

JMHO……….Regardless, Hope you all enjoy your trip…
Posted By: pete53 Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Originally Posted by Dons99
Haven't been but heard the Cody Firearms Museum is fantastic.

this museum is fantastic and will be a memory for life , there is so much to see at that museum its almost a 2 day thing to do . enjoy your trip ,Pete53
Posted By: flagstaff Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have been exploring Montana for over 70 years and haven’t seen it all yet. The vastness is off the charts. Because of its diversity and immensity, Montana includes everything from arid high plains to the Rocky Mountains in the west. Lewis and Clark spent more time in what would become Montana on the Corps Of Discovery than any other state.

From the headwaters of the Missouri River, (which is longer than the Mississippi River) to Fort Peck and all its tributaries, you could see how commerce was built on rivers during the frontier times. The History is huge and sights outside of the historical places make for a destination that you could spend weeks exploring.

Whatever you do, don’t bypass the Custer Battlefield. It is one of the most significant battles in American history. They are tearing down the old visitors center to rebuild it before the upcoming 150th anniversary in 2026. The battlefield itself is something you won’t experience anywhere else. Markers show where every trooper was found after the battle. There is something special about the battlefield you won’t be able to deny. Don’t miss it!

I agree that Custer Battlefield is incredible. I spent 10 hours there last July. Unforgettable.

And I agree with you Shrapnel, Montana is an amazing State. If I were ever to leave Arizona, that is where I would head. Or maybe Idaho. I have a fondness for both of those States as those are where my heredity and family are from, so naturally, I am biased.
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Originally Posted by flagstaff

Yellowstone is pretty good, but the crowds of ASIANS make it WAY less enjoyable. There, FIFY.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
If you pass through Dubois, Wyoming this place is well worth the time. I passed through intentionally and told the Wife I was spending the entire day there and She could shop or whatever.

National Museum of Military Vehicles

https://www.nmmv.org/
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
You can make a 10-day trip either north or south out of SLC, but not both. I cannot emphasize enough how big the West is. I can show you a place where the road sign says "Next Exit 75 Miles. No Services." And the next gas is many miles beyond that. I can also show you a road sign that says "Litter Pickup Next 25 miles by Bob and Linda." Because there are so few people living around there that you just know who Bob and Linda are. And yes, they patrol 25 miles of highway for litter.

When time gets closer, PM me about the Browning and/or Hill AFB museums.
Posted By: add Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Originally Posted by BeanMan
If you pass through Dubois, Wyoming this place is well worth the time. I passed through intentionally and told the Wife I was spending the entire day there and She could shop or whatever.

National Museum of Military Vehicles

https://www.nmmv.org/

Dubois is a neat area.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Depending on the kids interests, you might consider atv in the sand dunes at St Anthonies. Which would then bring you into West Yellowstone. Watch the bears “test” the bear proof containers at the discovery center.
And then cut through the park to Cody for the museum or to the museum in Bozo. Maybe a whitewater rafting trip Bozeman or Livingston.
Back down through Grand Tetons.
You can make a 10-day trip either north or south out of SLC, but not both. I cannot emphasize enough how big the West is. I can show you a place where the road sign says "Next Exit 75 Miles. No Services." And the next gas is many miles beyond that. I can also show you a road sign that says "Litter Pickup Next 25 miles by Bob and Linda." Because there are so few people living around there that you just know who Bob and Linda are. And yes, they patrol 25 miles of highway for litter.

One regret of mine when the family was in Utah 2 years back, was not traveling North and meeting Rocky……Just never enough time to do half of what you’d like,

Maybe next time Rocky…….
I'll be here. And I'd be delighted.
I'll be here. And I'd be delighted.
Appreciate that, thanks…..

It was all we could do in 10 days, Drive from Wisconsin, and back,

3 days in the Zion/St George area, then a few days each in Cedar breaks, Bryce and then Capital Reef Park,

I know the OP is heading North out of SLC, and few would head to Southern Utah in July, But Bryce was the surprise highlight of the trip….

All 6 people enjoyed Bryce National Park, a lot.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Good gawd....what are you stopping in Missoula for?

Butte I can kinda see.....maybe.

Smokejumpers Museum, of course!
Posted By: IDMilton Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
You mentioned the bear tooth highway. We did that trip two years ago. Stayed at red Lodge then left early the next morning. Absolutely amazing trip, but it will take some time. After the pass you’ll go into Yellowstone. Even with only a few stops, which wouldn’t be good for your kids, it’s an all day thing.
Posted By: ipopum Re: Trip Out West - 04/07/24
Yes Going into the Park from Red Lodge and out in Wyo. is a full days drive with very few stops.
Damn near everything out here is at least a half-day drive.

And, do NOT think you can pull into any motel and find a room. Not in July.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Trip Out West - 04/08/24

It’s like your rear view mirror. All the printed maps and digital maps should have a warning on the maps of the western states.
“Towns and cities are twice as far as this map makes them appear” 😁
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Trip Out West - 04/08/24
Virginia City Montana could be another stopping spot if the plan is to hit Bozeman- could be on the route.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Trip Out West - 04/08/24

Thanks!

It’s big country. Yellowstone is worth three days by itself. Teton and Jackson another day. If you go to Cody be sure to see the rodeo and there are three museums in town. I doubt you’ll want to drive as far East as to see Little Bighorn, but it is worth while. Frankly, you’d be better off flying to IDF, Idaho Falls. It would save a bunch of driving, unless there is something in Utah you want to see. Like Browning museum in Morgan UT.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Trip Out West - 04/08/24
If you go to the Little Bighorn Battlefield, please study the battle and the maps before you go. You will enjoy your visit a lot more.

All my life I was told the 7th Cavalry was wiped out on Last Stand Hill. It ain't that simple and over half of the outfit won their part of the battle in a defensive position 3 or 4 miles upriver.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Trip Out West - 04/08/24
Browning Headquarters is in Morgan, but the museum is in the Union Station in Ogden - along with a great train museum and Browning Car collection (all on the same ticket). The fabulous Hill AFB Museum is a few miles away, with free admission.
© 24hourcampfire