Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good gawd....what are you stopping in Missoula for?

Butte I can kinda see.....maybe.

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Butte Hole of Montana? Nothing to seek there but delicious pasties. (The food kind, not the strip joint kind. But they have both in Butte.)

I agree about Missoula, though. Nice city to drive past.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glacier, and the entire area is great, Wish I had float fished the Flathead, May go back just to do that. Could spend several days right there around GNP

Yellowstone was very enjoyable, Some might spend one day there, We could spend a week there, Go early in the season and rise early, you can beat the crowds,

Numerous Parks right in Utah, Moab, Zion etc…….You could spend several days just in Utah alone, We spent a week there in 3 different locations, in just the southern half Utah.

Drive time can be lengthy between destinations.

You could spend weeks even months trying to see all that interests you, You have about 10 days? It will go quicker than you think.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by scbigben
Planning a trip out west with the family this summer. We will be to flying into Salt Lake City in early July and plan to go north into Wyoming and Montana. Trip will be from Wednesday through Friday the following week and we will be flying home out of Salt Lake City. Looking for suggestions on must see locations and experiences as well as possible routes to take.

Thanks!

Enjoy your trip

Although the security at SLC airport isn't what they claimed to be

Some dude went past security barriers

Climbed into a jet engine on the tarmac....

Pilot started engines...dude ded right now

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This

he ded now

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Montana ain’t West.

Ocean is West.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P

I’d gladly trade a blue ribbon yellow perch and rock bass trip for one of your salmon trips!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are in SC so the point about hiking at altitude is noted and very helpful. The highest altitude I have been at for longer than a connecting flight is Breckenridge which is around 9600 and that was a challenge to walk the streets. We have 10 days, including travel days, so one concern is biting off more travel than we can chew during that time. We will also have our kids who are 15, 13 and 10 so we need to be sensitive to drive times between locations. Given time constraints we have decided to focus on areas in SLC, north to Bozeman and West to Cody. I don't think we will have time to make it to Glacier given how far out of the way it is relative to the other locations we will be seeing. Likewise, I would like to see Arches National park in Utah but it is somewhat out of the way and would require a full day it appears.
The Browning museum as well as the Cody Museum will be mandatory. The Teton's, SLC, Yellowstone, Beartooth and a stop in Montana will also be on the list as well. I would love to see Deadwood, Black Hills, Devils tower etc but I think it would be too far out of the way for us to cover in the time we have.

Any suggestions on places to stay or additional advice on routes are appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With kids that age, I'd book hotels now in at most 3 locations then ask for things to do near there. Just doing SLC, Teton NP, and Yellowstone, I'd estimate 1/2 of that 10 days is gonna be spent in the car...

When in around SLC, might want to consider looking into some of the summer activities that the ski resorts offer. Something like the Alpine slide would be of interest to the kids.
https://www.snowbird.com/summer-activities/

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The Butte Hole of Montana? Nothing to seek there but delicious pasties. (The food kind, not the strip joint kind. But they have both in Butte.)

I always liked Butte. Was once one of the richest cities in the world because the mine. I love the street after street of Victorian homes. Very cool architecture. I liked the mine museum and the Clark mansion. Clark was one of the richest men in the world. Became a US Senator. Founded Clarkdale, Arizona and Clark County, Nevada. He was the Jeff Bazos of the period.

Whatever you do, treat your family to a huckleberry shake available in Montana. You’re welcome!

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been exploring Montana for over 70 years and haven’t seen it all yet. The vastness is off the charts. Because of its diversity and immensity, Montana includes everything from arid high plains to the Rocky Mountains in the west. Lewis and Clark spent more time in what would become Montana on the Corps Of Discovery than any other state.

From the headwaters of the Missouri River, (which is longer than the Mississippi River) to Fort Peck and all its tributaries, you could see how commerce was built on rivers during the frontier times. The History is huge and sights outside of the historical places make for a destination that you could spend weeks exploring.

Whatever you do, don’t bypass the Custer Battlefield. It is one of the most significant battles in American history. They are tearing down the old visitors center to rebuild it before the upcoming 150th anniversary in 2026. The battlefield itself is something you won’t experience anywhere else. Markers show where every trooper was found after the battle. There is something special about the battlefield you won’t be able to deny. Don’t miss it!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand the desire to fly and eliminate travel time.
But it's a damn shame.

Everyone should take a road trip across (at least most) of our country at least once.

Including me.

Other than coast to coast trucking and hunting trips, all balls to the walls.
One big regret was the weeks long trip with the kids we could never get time for,
or afford. Seems like life has given us money, or free time. Never together.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

They closed down the Paul Bunyan sandwich shop. Not over it yet.

I was born there....but see no need to return.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scbigben
Many thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are in SC so the point about hiking at altitude is noted and very helpful. The highest altitude I have been at for longer than a connecting flight is Breckenridge which is around 9600 and that was a challenge to walk the streets. We have 10 days, including travel days, so one concern is biting off more travel than we can chew during that time. We will also have our kids who are 15, 13 and 10 so we need to be sensitive to drive times between locations. Given time constraints we have decided to focus on areas in SLC, north to Bozeman and West to Cody. I don't think we will have time to make it to Glacier given how far out of the way it is relative to the other locations we will be seeing. Likewise, I would like to see Arches National park in Utah but it is somewhat out of the way and would require a full day it appears.
The Browning museum as well as the Cody Museum will be mandatory. The Teton's, SLC, Yellowstone, Beartooth and a stop in Montana will also be on the list as well. I would love to see Deadwood, Black Hills, Devils tower etc but I think it would be too far out of the way for us to cover in the time we have.

Any suggestions on places to stay or additional advice on routes are appreciated.

Seems like a very, very ambitious itinerary, especially with 3 kids of that age.

The firearms museum in Cody, at a rushed pace, is a half day alone,

JMHO……….Regardless, Hope you all enjoy your trip…

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dons99
Haven't been but heard the Cody Firearms Museum is fantastic.

this museum is fantastic and will be a memory for life , there is so much to see at that museum its almost a 2 day thing to do . enjoy your trip ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I have been exploring Montana for over 70 years and haven’t seen it all yet. The vastness is off the charts. Because of its diversity and immensity, Montana includes everything from arid high plains to the Rocky Mountains in the west. Lewis and Clark spent more time in what would become Montana on the Corps Of Discovery than any other state.

From the headwaters of the Missouri River, (which is longer than the Mississippi River) to Fort Peck and all its tributaries, you could see how commerce was built on rivers during the frontier times. The History is huge and sights outside of the historical places make for a destination that you could spend weeks exploring.

Whatever you do, don’t bypass the Custer Battlefield. It is one of the most significant battles in American history. They are tearing down the old visitors center to rebuild it before the upcoming 150th anniversary in 2026. The battlefield itself is something you won’t experience anywhere else. Markers show where every trooper was found after the battle. There is something special about the battlefield you won’t be able to deny. Don’t miss it!

I agree that Custer Battlefield is incredible. I spent 10 hours there last July. Unforgettable.

And I agree with you Shrapnel, Montana is an amazing State. If I were ever to leave Arizona, that is where I would head. Or maybe Idaho. I have a fondness for both of those States as those are where my heredity and family are from, so naturally, I am biased.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Originally Posted by ipopum
One thing to consider is that most of these locations are a long distance from each other. Yellowstone to Glacier is approx. 450 miles.

I have not driven from Yellowstone to the Black Hills for a while but it must be approx. 400 miles.

lots of driving time from place to place..

What ipopem states above is spot on.

It’s big country out west. Very expansive. Heck, it is a 10 hour drive from Salt Lake City to Glacier National Park. And there is a lot of scenery and places to see between the two.

Glacier is awesome. Yellowstone is pretty good, but the crowds make it a little less enjoyable.

Butte, Missoula, are always a favorite.

I’d pick a few places to see and not try to see it all unless you want a 2 week driving tour with little time out of the car. It will bring the “Are we there yet?” to a whole new level.

I’ve lived out west my whole life, been about everywhere, but I still ain’t seen it all.

Yellowstone is pretty good, but the crowds of ASIANS make it WAY less enjoyable. There, FIFY.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you pass through Dubois, Wyoming this place is well worth the time. I passed through intentionally and told the Wife I was spending the entire day there and She could shop or whatever.

National Museum of Military Vehicles

https://www.nmmv.org/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can make a 10-day trip either north or south out of SLC, but not both. I cannot emphasize enough how big the West is. I can show you a place where the road sign says "Next Exit 75 Miles. No Services." And the next gas is many miles beyond that. I can also show you a road sign that says "Litter Pickup Next 25 miles by Bob and Linda." Because there are so few people living around there that you just know who Bob and Linda are. And yes, they patrol 25 miles of highway for litter.

When time gets closer, PM me about the Browning and/or Hill AFB museums.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BeanMan
If you pass through Dubois, Wyoming this place is well worth the time. I passed through intentionally and told the Wife I was spending the entire day there and She could shop or whatever.

National Museum of Military Vehicles

https://www.nmmv.org/

Dubois is a neat area.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Depending on the kids interests, you might consider atv in the sand dunes at St Anthonies. Which would then bring you into West Yellowstone. Watch the bears “test” the bear proof containers at the discovery center.
And then cut through the park to Cody for the museum or to the museum in Bozo. Maybe a whitewater rafting trip Bozeman or Livingston.
Back down through Grand Tetons.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 20 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.