Home
Posted By: DaveR Help me get rid of frogs!!!!!!!! - 05/03/07
I need help. How do I get rid of a frog in my neighbor's yard? The azshole has recently installed this freakin joke of a mud puddle pond in his back yard, just on his side of the fence. Well, it is about 10 feet from my bedroom window. It is attracting a frog (I believe just one). This thing is so amazingly loud it is not funny. All [bleep]' night long. I cannot get any sleep. I put the fan on high. I have been putting in ear plugs. Nothing helps. I can hear the thing over both the TV and the fan and AC unit at the same time, with earplugs in!

I tried to ask the putz about it to see if we could come up with a solution. Typical european tree hugger. "It's a sign of a clean environment" he says. "Enjoy the sounds of nature".

For one, clean environment my azz! I've put bleach over the fence. I've thrown salt (I hear it burns their feet, and they leave). I've sprayed permethrin (supposedly they don't like it and leave). I've sprayed wasp killer (it has great range, and has permethrin). NOTHING can get this damn thing to die, leave, or at least stop croaking all damn night. I swear, I'm about to lose my mind. It is so bad, that I was clear on the other side of the house in the garage reloading tonight, and I could hear it over the TV in the garage!

If I could see the thing, I'd pick it off with a pellet gun from my roof, but the only time the damn thing comes out is in the dark.

If anyone has any ideas of a way to covertly rid myself of this creature from hell, I'd appreciate ideas. My only other alternative will be to move. It is that bad.
Simple. Become a dedicated fly caster and use the pond to practice your dryfly casting. I'd guess a size 10 Adams aughta do the trick.

bhtr
For hours every night during the NRA convention in San Antonio about twenty-five to thirty years ago, a beggar outside our hotel beat on an oil drum, whistled, and amplified all that noise with a very loud, very tinny PA system. He nearly drove Ken Waters crazy. We couldn't leave the patio door to our balcony open or turn the air-conditioner fan off.

The night before the convention was to end, I was getting my stuff ready to check-out the next morning. Without thinking about it (honest!), I started whistling.

In very hurt tones, Ken yelled in the bathroom "I can hear the bugger in here!" I collapsed laughing and couldn't have kept-on whistling if my life had depended on it.

grin
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Simple. Become a dedicated fly caster and use the pond to practice your dryfly casting. I'd guess a size 10 Adams aughta do the trick.

bhtr

Followed by some breading and hot oil. Works for me! cool
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
For hours every night during the NRA convention in San Antonio about twenty-five to thirty years ago, a beggar outside our hotel beat on an oil drum, whistled, and amplified all that noise with a very loud, very tinny PA system. He nearly drove Ken Waters crazy. We couldn't leave the patio door to our balcony open or turn the air-conditioner fan off.

The night before the convention was to end, I was getting my stuff ready to check-out the next morning. Without thinking about it (honest!), I started whistling.

In very hurt tones, Ken yelled in the bathroom "I can hear the bugger in here!" I collapsed laughing and couldn't have kept-on whistling if my life had depended on it.

grin

That gentleman was named 'Bongo Joe'. He was not a beggar but a folk hero of sorts on the riverwalk in downtown San Antonio. He was a tourist attraction. I believe I read he died a few years ago in Austin,Tx. His banging would drown out the frog for sure. wink

BP...
DaveR;

Pellet rifle; flashlight taped underneath. Frog eyes shine. Put a pellet into the shiny object; problem solved.
Might try pitching a couple hungry mature non-poisonous snakes over the fence. Tell the neighbor "It's a sign of a clean environment".
Man talk about things to complain about.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when I hear that it's a recording to add authenticity to the whole thing!

Some folks find no end of things to whine about- what a hoot (oops, I suppose you have declared war on owls too).

Brent
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
DaveR;

Pellet rifle; flashlight taped underneath. Frog eyes shine. Put a pellet into the shiny object; problem solved.

FINALLY! We now have a legitimate reason to use all that tactical Gack. A "lowlight" scope that "gathers" light even in a mine shaft. Silencer for the pellet gun. Flash suppressor. And....Ta Da!--a nighttime range finder.

Now we just have to figure out where the frog is.

I've been told gigging frogs works--sounds like it's worth a try.

Casey
I hope this is a joke
If you really must, allow the frog into your yard. Put in a light low to the ground. The frog will come near to eat the bugs the light attracts.

Or wear ear plugs.

Scott
Go read the novel "Henderson the Rain King". It's got a wonderful bit in there about how Henderson gets rid of the frogs.
I thought that the hole in the ozone layer a few years ago would have killed all the frogs by now. Must be GWB's fault.
Frogs. I love them. They're so...amphibious.

We had a few hundred that lived in our yard in Beaverton, including a some that lived under the house. I'd rather listen to frogs than cars, sirens, trains, etc.

+1 snb13
Originally Posted by BrentD

I'm going to laugh my ass off when I hear that it's a recording to add authenticity to the whole thing!

Some folks find no end of things to whine about- what a hoot (oops, I suppose you have declared war on owls too).

Brent

Have you ever tried to sleep with a frog incesently croaking under your window all night long? If you haven't experienced it, don't be so quick to judge about people's "whining". Inability to sleep for days on end is not nothing. Once them little bastids get "under your skin", it can get maddening. I has become a battle of wills of my neighbor, the frog, and me, and I'm losing badly. crazy

I like the idea of the light to attract him to my side of the fence. I even thought about putting out a little "kiddie pool" to help bring him over. "His frog" then becomse "my frog" and I could dispatch at will. Problem being, it's a 6' tall brick wall. Don't think Kermit is getting over that. I think he's a permanent resident next door.

If the guy would leave town for a couple days, I could do the air rfile and flashlight thing easily enough, but it does get a bit risky shooting at critters in other people's back yards, especially in this place.
I've noticed several times that my urban friends have issues sleeping with things like whippoorwills, birds in general, crickets, coyotes, owls, babbling brooks, waterfalls, spring peepers (frogs) and the like out and about. Yet sirens, barking dogs, backup beepers, mega bass speakers, car alarms, gun shots, and even people convulsing on the street will not raise and eye brow. Of course they drown it all out with tunnel vision and an Ipod.

I'll stay in the country and tough it out with all those horrid night sounds. Buck up and be glad at least some small bit of wildlife can tolerate your silent polluted environment. Bring in a female and maybe he'll quit calling and start working out his pelvic muscles. Then, there will be all that heavy breathing 1Minute
If you free the Israelites from bondage the frogs will go...

Thats what I was thinking! One frog, night only? Could be this "frog" is this neighbors noise maker he sleeps by like my box fan.
Originally Posted by DaveR

Brent

Have you ever tried to sleep with a frog incesently croaking under your window all night long? If you haven't experienced it, don't be so quick to judge about people's "whining". Inability to sleep for days on end is not nothing. Once them little bastids get "under your skin", it can get maddening. I has become a battle of wills of my neighbor, the frog, and me, and I'm losing badly. crazy

I like the idea of the light to attract him to my side of the fence. I even thought about putting out a little "kiddie pool" to help bring him over. "His frog" then becomse "my frog" and I could dispatch at will. Problem being, it's a 6' tall brick wall. Don't think Kermit is getting over that. I think he's a permanent resident next door.

If the guy would leave town for a couple days, I could do the air rfile and flashlight thing easily enough, but it does get a bit risky shooting at critters in other people's back yards, especially in this place.

Dave,

I agree, a noise preventing sleep is not something petty you're whining over. I guess BrentD would put up with a constantly barking neighbor dog too. Same thing really.
I had a nieghbor who dug a pond right next to the back fence at a placxe I used to own. Frogs started coming out of the ground a few months later, the mateing croaks were terrible one huge bull would make a sound almost like a scream, I went out in the pasture and cought a couple bull snakes then tossed them over the fence. The croaking stopped for a while. Then the big screaming bull toad came back or was replaced by another one, late one night I was tuning out the frog sounds when I suddenly hear the guys back door slam and him yelling at his wife to turn the Floodlights on I look out and he is stalking around his yard with a big meat fork, suddenly he jabs somthing and then yell i got it!!!! sure enough he got it that big screaming toad. He was spreading somthing in his yard the next day and he put chicken wire over his pond. That thing attracted all sorts of critters besides frogs and toads I know I saw several Racoons and a couple possums and a skunk in his yard from time to time. Live traps sure are neat
ear plugs...
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Dave,
I agree, a noise preventing sleep is not something petty you're whining over. I guess BrentD would put up with a constantly barking neighbor dog too. Same thing really.

Well, actually I would. And for damn sure I would not be throwing [bleep] across the property line to poison the dog. I would not be looking for a opportunity to trespass and destroy it either.

On my property, I have a river and several large, flooded oxbows, all full of frogs. I have barred owls that go nuts every other night, racoons that decide to duke it out on amongst themselves on the back deck and all sorts of other things that go bump in the night. Some how I manage. But some folks just feel the need to kill anything and everything that causes them the smallest challenge. Pretty sad - meanwhile. Close the damn windows; you are the kind of person for whom air conditioners were invented.

Between this and the plastic slippers thread I wonder about this place.

Brent

Manly HE-man!
Import a family of Cajuns.

The noise doesn't bother me that much. Cicadias really bother people from up north when they come down here during the summer. It's a constant racket and quite loud, but it's one that becomeds part of the background until you no longer hear it. They're better than watchdogs...when you hear them suddenly stop singing, time to pick up your handgun.

You get used to noise and incorporate it into your life. With some folks, it's traffic. In the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" the main character had to have a recording of a New York street in order to sleep.

Or, you move...or destroy the frogs, which I wouldn't do.
Originally Posted by Gene L
Import a family of Cajuns.

The noise doesn't bother me that much. Cicadias really bother people from up north when they come down here during the summer. It's a constant racket and quite loud, but it's one that becomeds part of the background until you no longer hear it. They're better than watchdogs...when you hear them suddenly stop singing, time to pick up your handgun.

You get used to noise and incorporate it into your life. With some folks, it's traffic. In the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" the main character had to have a recording of a New York street in order to sleep.

Or, you move...or destroy the frogs, which I wouldn't do.

Gene,

You're exactly right, it's all what you're used to. In our bedroom we have 3 fans going at night. Ceiling fan, I get a fan just for me because awake or asleep I can't stand stagnant air, then my wife has a loud box fan in the corner just for noise...we couldn't sleep without the noise...and Dave aint used to the sudden invasion of croaking bullfrogs. I think I agree I wouldn't try to poisen them, as too many things can go wrong with that tactic and the collateral damage could be tragic. I can't say I view a frog in the same light I would a dog, and I wouldn't try to destroy a neighbors dog, but I might his frog(s).
You're exactly right, it's all what you're used to.
=================================================================
But that poses another problem. My wife's an Arkansas girl who grew up with fans. I had no fans; don't like the noise and she can't sleep without them.

OTOH, I like to fade away watching the news and my wife hates the TV in the bedroom.

Now you all know why we dated for 5 years before marriage. Had a few bedroom details to work out. It's now a timer for the TV and the fans stay on all night. My negotiation skills were apparently lacking!!
Drop in a couple of large-sized bass...
Better than this new to be neighbor of mine running a front end loader/back hoe until 10Pm every night
PEPPER.

Dump a pack of it all over the water and surrounding area. He will leave. Also works very well if you have a neighborhood cat (felinus domesticus) sitting on your warm car bonnet and scratching the paint.

If you put a large dish of water on your side of the fence, the frog may venture there, where a golf club can be mighty effective. Make it a wood.

AGW
best not come to my house...............ive got a basement full of frogs......granted they are diurnal and shut up for the most part at night though the ones in the bedroom start buzzing about an hour before we generally wake up............i cant think of any snake down in that eats frogs/toads on a regular basis. atleast not if they are large........if yah know any neighborhood kids that are out screwing around offer a couple of bucks if they will locate you a couple different sizes of garter snakes........lil frogs can make alot of noise.....without knowing the size of the target frog cant tell yah what size snake to get......a couple about a foot in length and a couple as big as you can get the kids to find should solve the problem with in a week if its only one or 2 frogs.

But some folks just feel the need to kill anything and everything that causes them the smallest challenge. Pretty sad - meanwhile. Close the damn windows; you are the kind of person for whom air conditioners were invented.

Brent

Wow, a "frog hugger", and one that can't read aparently.

My windows are closed. My air conditioner and fan is on. My earplugs are in. He is plenty loud enough to overcome all those things.

If it was a half dozen frogs singing in a steady "chorus" it likely would not bother me at all. One single loud frog, on and off, is impossible to sleep to.

If I could get him to leave without killing it, I certainly would. I've tried, he won't. But don't think I'll lose a moment's sleep (because I'll gain A BUNCH) over squashing an annoying assed frog under my boot, if given the opportunity.

People "dispatch" vermin and annoyances all the time. You're saying you don't? Where to draw the line? Coyotes? Prairie dogs? Rats? Do you carry spiders out of your house instead of giving the the bottom of a shoe?

Get freakin' real. It's a frog, not a freakin' wolf....
I am hyper-vigilant (as I was told by one of those guys who try to teach you how to relax) and have to have white noise or I can't go to sleep.

Won't have a TV in my bedroom. They're the work of Satan, and you get subliminal messages all night. If you have one, you're probably listening to re-runs of "Queer as Folk" all night. Take my word; one morning you'll wake up, put some Judy Garland tapes on the player, and figour out how to put track lighting in your living room.

When I first married, we lived in a house with no air conditioning. Many is the time a cat walking by the window woke me up. There were magnolia leaves beneath, and especially with a cat, they sounded just like someone trying to sneak up on me.

Now, I take the chance of getting snuck up on, and run an air filter all the time I'm in bed.
water snake,,,,,end of frog,,,,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Wow, a "frog hugger",

No, I'm just not a friggin' liberal that thinks he can tell his neighbors what they can and cannot have on their property. And I don't got throwing [bleep] on other's property, and I don't trespass on other's property.

My guess is that the only frog is the one in your imagination. Better NAIL those windows closed. Caulk'em. Then stuff the walls with foam or whatever. If you think this is your biggest problem you HAVE got problems.

Brent

So what kind of liberal are ya Brent?
I guess that what bugs me most about some Campfire compadres is their arrogance of assuming that A can judge B or B's situation from a distance better than B can judge it from intimate first-hand knowledge.

I ran into this in December, when a fellow in Maryland (who hasn't been here to see my condition or situation) scolded me on the telephone for what he assumed was my irresponsible handling of my income. He knew only that I was in desperate fiscal straits, so he assumed that I was spending rashly for things that I shouldn't be buying. He was 100% wrong.

Long-distance, absentee, vicarious consciences don't show me much. Other than arrogance, nothing.
My windows are closed. My air conditioner and fan is on. My earplugs are in. He is plenty loud enough to overcome all those things.

while im not 100% familiar with the frogs down your way i have to say i cant think of a single species native to the US that are that loud......any chance you have a tropical plant nursery or similar with in a few blocks? i know of a couple species that are that loud but none are native to the US.........if it is infact a real frog and not a recording as someone suggested, i would be almost positive that its not a native species and should be killed anyway.

Wow, a "frog hugger",

No, I'm just not a friggin' liberal that thinks he can tell his neighbors what they can and cannot have on their property. And I don't got throwing [bleep] on other's property, and I don't trespass on other's property.

My guess is that the only frog is the one in your imagination. Better NAIL those windows closed. Caulk'em. Then stuff the walls with foam or whatever. If you think this is your biggest problem you HAVE got problems.

Brent

Let's see....no sleep is not a problem in your book? Being exhausted at work is not a problem in your mind? Stop trying to minimize the problem by insinuating it's some harmless little creature and a problem that's just "in my imagination", and realize it is NOISE, loud disruptive noise at that. It's a very real problem, and a quick search on the internet will show you I'm certainly not the only one who has it.

Didn't answer my questions though, did you? Where do you draw the line? And my neighbor's business becomes my business when it greatly disrupts my quality of life. I asked politely to try and resolve the situation. It's not a problem for him, he's an azzhole, so he refused. Now it's my problem to deal with. And I WILL deal with it, somehow.

You've got a problem with that, then YOU certainly have bigger problems.

Me, a liberal? Now that is a freakin' hoot. You might want to take a look in the mirror though. Isn't there some three toed, red butted beatle you could be off "saving" somewhere?

Imagination? Imagine *this* Putz.

Long-distance, absentee, vicarious consciences don't show me much. Other than arrogance, nothing.

Much nicer than I'd of put it, but spot on.
I don't know if this would work but, have you tried noise cancelling earphones? I work on a boat with twin 12 cylinder Cats and they work wonders. However that's a constant drone at about the same freq so the noise cancellation works great.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� a fellow in Maryland (who hasn't been here to see my condition or situation) scolded me on the telephone �

I have to say this in his behalf � he lives in a subyuk of Baltimore, and he works for the government, so he's surrounded by people who're dumber than he is. As a result, he too naturally assumes that everybody else is, too. Understandable but wrong.

grin
Originally Posted by shreck
I don't know if this would work but, have you tried noise cancelling earphones? I work on a boat with twin 12 cylinder Cats and they work wonders. However that's a constant drone at about the same freq so the noise cancellation works great.

I may try those, but I've never been one to sleep on my back, although I may have to learn. I'm hopeful if I could just get a few good night's rest, this thing may not bother me so much and I could relax about it a bit.

Someone has recommended "ultrasonic deterrents". Guess they work on bugs, mice, cats, etc. Maybe on frogs? That I could do from my side of the wall. I could mount one right on the overhang of my house overlooking his mud puddle, and turn it up as high as it would go.
Cats will eat frogs forthwith. How about getting an outside cat? Of course you may also then lose a few birds in the process. But you will get a good night's sleep. I know all about sleep deprivation and what it can do. I work 12 hour evening/night shift. Ya need sleep or your body will start breaking down, and your brain will get goofy.

Brent

Surely you didn't miss the 'poop' thread?
DaveR...

How big is this pond? Have you complained to the local county sanitation board, what about local subdivision covenents? I would look into all possible zoning violations as well.

Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, and that means possibility of West Nile, not to mention other nasty things.

Good luck, I hope you get that sucker. I'm a light sleeper and know how you feel. I can hear a mouse fart from across the room and it wakes me up every time.
Surely you didn't miss the 'poop' thread?
=================================================================

I just caught it myself. This is surely a Campfire!!
There are several neighborhood cats that are in my back yard and his back yard all the time. Not to mention the racoons that we get quite often (the neighbor's dog tore into one the other night as a matter of fact). I mean heck, if anything should be a frog killing machine it would be a coon, right?

This thing is like some kind of "super frog" or something. I know it's a frog, and not a recording as suggested, because he shuts up any time I poke my head over the wall or make a loud noise. Last night, I thought I got a glimpse of him (or at least had his location pinpointed through sound), and hit him with a shot of wasp killer. All that did was make him quite mad aparently, and considerably louder. crazy

The snake idea might be worthwhile. I figure if the snake don't get the frog, when his wife finds snakes in the back yard, believing the pond is drawing them in, I suspect that mud puddle might be gone in short order.

I don't want to turn this into an all out war with the guy, as I've still got to live next to him for a while, so if I could just get the thing to want to find greener pastures (or ponds) elsewhere, I'd be more than happy. Another neighbor has one or two in his yard due to a pool, but they're a good bit away and not a real annoyance.
I'm telling ya'......the tactical pellet gun-nighttime ninja mission idea is the most exciting way to go...............

Casey
Frogs eat mosquitoes and I like them in moderation. I have developed selective hearing as many men have, and though it may take some little time, you probably will too.
We had a newcomer retiree from the big city get a legal restraint against a neighbor with a big American flag that was too noisy for him.
I am sufficiently offensive to others that I usually try to be tolerant of other turds.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross
Originally Posted by Ross
I have developed selective hearing as many men have
Ross

are you suggesting that he pretend he is married to the frog and the noise will go away grin

Pat
It doesn't take a very big frog to make a whole lot of noise. It's amazing how much volume can come from a 2 or 3" frog when he really gets the hots.

Dick
I don't know if this would work or not, but it's an idea. Maybe you could go to a pond where there are a bunch of other frogs and record them for a while then in the evening before you go to bed, try playing them on your side the fence--see if you can call him across the line. Works for other game and prediters, might work for frogs. You'd get a chance to do some hunting in you're back yard. Then if you try it for a while and give up, get a big old amplifier and crank the same recording at window rattling volumes at 2:00 a.m. (You're awake anyway). If your neighbor complains, tell him you have a really healthy enviroment--What's he going to do tell the law your frogs are bigger than his? smile
Read in Fur-Fish and Game a long time back about a fellow catching frogs on a fishing pole using a bit of red cloth as bait. He just dangled it in front of them.
One frog? Is it a "Burumph" or an "erk-erk-erk"?
Originally Posted by Bambistew
DaveR...

How big is this pond? Have you complained to the local county sanitation board, what about local subdivision covenents? I would look into all possible zoning violations as well.

Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, and that means possibility of West Nile, not to mention other nasty things.

On the downside, and what with the amphibian die off, it could be a 'wet land'.
Here's an idea, if you get that bad boy.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americas/05/04/frog.juice.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
Cajun response.
1. Wait till you are absolutely positive your neighbors are sleeping or away from the house. Jump the fence to your neighbors property. Get a good spot light and shine the frogs eyes to daze / blind him and silently sneak up and stick him with a fish / frog gig. 2.Pour a couple of gallons of bleach in his frog pond. The chlorine will kill frogs and tadpoles quickly. 3. Call the local police and complain.
napalm...
Raccoons - I love to hear raccoons eating frogs. All the crunching and smacking they do.
FINE!--I'm taking my tactical pellet ninja-gun idea off the table........I ain't gettin' no respect cry

Casey grin
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
FINE!--I'm taking my tactical pellet ninja-gun idea off the table........I ain't gettin' no respect cry

Casey grin

Hey, it's still under consideration. grin

Anyone got a night vision scope and IR light they want to loan out for a few days? whistle
© 24hourcampfire