Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DaveR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shreck
I don't know if this would work but, have you tried noise cancelling earphones? I work on a boat with twin 12 cylinder Cats and they work wonders. However that's a constant drone at about the same freq so the noise cancellation works great.

I may try those, but I've never been one to sleep on my back, although I may have to learn. I'm hopeful if I could just get a few good night's rest, this thing may not bother me so much and I could relax about it a bit.

Someone has recommended "ultrasonic deterrents". Guess they work on bugs, mice, cats, etc. Maybe on frogs? That I could do from my side of the wall. I could mount one right on the overhang of my house overlooking his mud puddle, and turn it up as high as it would go.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cats will eat frogs forthwith. How about getting an outside cat? Of course you may also then lose a few birds in the process. But you will get a good night's sleep. I know all about sleep deprivation and what it can do. I work 12 hour evening/night shift. Ya need sleep or your body will start breaking down, and your brain will get goofy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD

Between this and the plastic slippers thread I wonder about this place.

Brent

Surely you didn't miss the 'poop' thread?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DaveR...

How big is this pond? Have you complained to the local county sanitation board, what about local subdivision covenents? I would look into all possible zoning violations as well.

Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, and that means possibility of West Nile, not to mention other nasty things.

Good luck, I hope you get that sucker. I'm a light sleeper and know how you feel. I can hear a mouse fart from across the room and it wakes me up every time.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Surely you didn't miss the 'poop' thread?
=================================================================

I just caught it myself. This is surely a Campfire!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

DaveR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There are several neighborhood cats that are in my back yard and his back yard all the time. Not to mention the racoons that we get quite often (the neighbor's dog tore into one the other night as a matter of fact). I mean heck, if anything should be a frog killing machine it would be a coon, right?

This thing is like some kind of "super frog" or something. I know it's a frog, and not a recording as suggested, because he shuts up any time I poke my head over the wall or make a loud noise. Last night, I thought I got a glimpse of him (or at least had his location pinpointed through sound), and hit him with a shot of wasp killer. All that did was make him quite mad aparently, and considerably louder. crazy

The snake idea might be worthwhile. I figure if the snake don't get the frog, when his wife finds snakes in the back yard, believing the pond is drawing them in, I suspect that mud puddle might be gone in short order.

I don't want to turn this into an all out war with the guy, as I've still got to live next to him for a while, so if I could just get the thing to want to find greener pastures (or ponds) elsewhere, I'd be more than happy. Another neighbor has one or two in his yard due to a pool, but they're a good bit away and not a real annoyance.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm telling ya'......the tactical pellet gun-nighttime ninja mission idea is the most exciting way to go...............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Frogs eat mosquitoes and I like them in moderation. I have developed selective hearing as many men have, and though it may take some little time, you probably will too.
We had a newcomer retiree from the big city get a legal restraint against a neighbor with a big American flag that was too noisy for him.
I am sufficiently offensive to others that I usually try to be tolerant of other turds.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ross
I have developed selective hearing as many men have
Ross

are you suggesting that he pretend he is married to the frog and the noise will go away grin

Pat

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man, hated and scorned.
When the cause succeeds, however, the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot."
_ Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It doesn't take a very big frog to make a whole lot of noise. It's amazing how much volume can come from a 2 or 3" frog when he really gets the hots.

Dick

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if this would work or not, but it's an idea. Maybe you could go to a pond where there are a bunch of other frogs and record them for a while then in the evening before you go to bed, try playing them on your side the fence--see if you can call him across the line. Works for other game and prediters, might work for frogs. You'd get a chance to do some hunting in you're back yard. Then if you try it for a while and give up, get a big old amplifier and crank the same recording at window rattling volumes at 2:00 a.m. (You're awake anyway). If your neighbor complains, tell him you have a really healthy enviroment--What's he going to do tell the law your frogs are bigger than his? smile

Last edited by JaquesLaRami; 05/03/07.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Read in Fur-Fish and Game a long time back about a fellow catching frogs on a fishing pole using a bit of red cloth as bait. He just dangled it in front of them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One frog? Is it a "Burumph" or an "erk-erk-erk"?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bambistew
DaveR...

How big is this pond? Have you complained to the local county sanitation board, what about local subdivision covenents? I would look into all possible zoning violations as well.

Standing water is a breeding ground for mosquitoes, and that means possibility of West Nile, not to mention other nasty things.

On the downside, and what with the amphibian die off, it could be a 'wet land'.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cajun response.
1. Wait till you are absolutely positive your neighbors are sleeping or away from the house. Jump the fence to your neighbors property. Get a good spot light and shine the frogs eyes to daze / blind him and silently sneak up and stick him with a fish / frog gig. 2.Pour a couple of gallons of bleach in his frog pond. The chlorine will kill frogs and tadpoles quickly. 3. Call the local police and complain.

Focus on the leading edge!
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
napalm...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Raccoons - I love to hear raccoons eating frogs. All the crunching and smacking they do.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
FINE!--I'm taking my tactical pellet ninja-gun idea off the table........I ain't gettin' no respect cry

Casey grin

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
DaveR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
FINE!--I'm taking my tactical pellet ninja-gun idea off the table........I ain't gettin' no respect cry

Casey grin

Hey, it's still under consideration. grin

Anyone got a night vision scope and IR light they want to loan out for a few days? whistle

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1lessdog, 1234, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,366
Posts18,506,409
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.