Be the person your dog thinks you are.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Dave,
I agree, a noise preventing sleep is not something petty you're whining over. I guess BrentD would put up with a constantly barking neighbor dog too. Same thing really.

Well, actually I would. And for damn sure I would not be throwing [bleep] across the property line to poison the dog. I would not be looking for a opportunity to trespass and destroy it either.

On my property, I have a river and several large, flooded oxbows, all full of frogs. I have barred owls that go nuts every other night, racoons that decide to duke it out on amongst themselves on the back deck and all sorts of other things that go bump in the night. Some how I manage. But some folks just feel the need to kill anything and everything that causes them the smallest challenge. Pretty sad - meanwhile. Close the damn windows; you are the kind of person for whom air conditioners were invented.

Between this and the plastic slippers thread I wonder about this place.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Manly HE-man!

War Damn Eagle!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Import a family of Cajuns.

The noise doesn't bother me that much. Cicadias really bother people from up north when they come down here during the summer. It's a constant racket and quite loud, but it's one that becomeds part of the background until you no longer hear it. They're better than watchdogs...when you hear them suddenly stop singing, time to pick up your handgun.

You get used to noise and incorporate it into your life. With some folks, it's traffic. In the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" the main character had to have a recording of a New York street in order to sleep.

Or, you move...or destroy the frogs, which I wouldn't do.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gene L
Import a family of Cajuns.

The noise doesn't bother me that much. Cicadias really bother people from up north when they come down here during the summer. It's a constant racket and quite loud, but it's one that becomeds part of the background until you no longer hear it. They're better than watchdogs...when you hear them suddenly stop singing, time to pick up your handgun.

You get used to noise and incorporate it into your life. With some folks, it's traffic. In the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" the main character had to have a recording of a New York street in order to sleep.

Or, you move...or destroy the frogs, which I wouldn't do.

Gene,

You're exactly right, it's all what you're used to. In our bedroom we have 3 fans going at night. Ceiling fan, I get a fan just for me because awake or asleep I can't stand stagnant air, then my wife has a loud box fan in the corner just for noise...we couldn't sleep without the noise...and Dave aint used to the sudden invasion of croaking bullfrogs. I think I agree I wouldn't try to poisen them, as too many things can go wrong with that tactic and the collateral damage could be tragic. I can't say I view a frog in the same light I would a dog, and I wouldn't try to destroy a neighbors dog, but I might his frog(s).

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
You're exactly right, it's all what you're used to.
=================================================================
But that poses another problem. My wife's an Arkansas girl who grew up with fans. I had no fans; don't like the noise and she can't sleep without them.

OTOH, I like to fade away watching the news and my wife hates the TV in the bedroom.

Now you all know why we dated for 5 years before marriage. Had a few bedroom details to work out. It's now a timer for the TV and the fans stay on all night. My negotiation skills were apparently lacking!!

Last edited by isaac; 05/03/07.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Drop in a couple of large-sized bass...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Better than this new to be neighbor of mine running a front end loader/back hoe until 10Pm every night

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
PEPPER.

Dump a pack of it all over the water and surrounding area. He will leave. Also works very well if you have a neighborhood cat (felinus domesticus) sitting on your warm car bonnet and scratching the paint.

If you put a large dish of water on your side of the fence, the frog may venture there, where a golf club can be mighty effective. Make it a wood.

AGW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
best not come to my house...............ive got a basement full of frogs......granted they are diurnal and shut up for the most part at night though the ones in the bedroom start buzzing about an hour before we generally wake up............i cant think of any snake down in that eats frogs/toads on a regular basis. atleast not if they are large........if yah know any neighborhood kids that are out screwing around offer a couple of bucks if they will locate you a couple different sizes of garter snakes........lil frogs can make alot of noise.....without knowing the size of the target frog cant tell yah what size snake to get......a couple about a foot in length and a couple as big as you can get the kids to find should solve the problem with in a week if its only one or 2 frogs.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

DaveR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD

But some folks just feel the need to kill anything and everything that causes them the smallest challenge. Pretty sad - meanwhile. Close the damn windows; you are the kind of person for whom air conditioners were invented.

Brent

Wow, a "frog hugger", and one that can't read aparently.

My windows are closed. My air conditioner and fan is on. My earplugs are in. He is plenty loud enough to overcome all those things.

If it was a half dozen frogs singing in a steady "chorus" it likely would not bother me at all. One single loud frog, on and off, is impossible to sleep to.

If I could get him to leave without killing it, I certainly would. I've tried, he won't. But don't think I'll lose a moment's sleep (because I'll gain A BUNCH) over squashing an annoying assed frog under my boot, if given the opportunity.

People "dispatch" vermin and annoyances all the time. You're saying you don't? Where to draw the line? Coyotes? Prairie dogs? Rats? Do you carry spiders out of your house instead of giving the the bottom of a shoe?

Get freakin' real. It's a frog, not a freakin' wolf....

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am hyper-vigilant (as I was told by one of those guys who try to teach you how to relax) and have to have white noise or I can't go to sleep.

Won't have a TV in my bedroom. They're the work of Satan, and you get subliminal messages all night. If you have one, you're probably listening to re-runs of "Queer as Folk" all night. Take my word; one morning you'll wake up, put some Judy Garland tapes on the player, and figour out how to put track lighting in your living room.

When I first married, we lived in a house with no air conditioning. Many is the time a cat walking by the window woke me up. There were magnolia leaves beneath, and especially with a cat, they sounded just like someone trying to sneak up on me.

Now, I take the chance of getting snuck up on, and run an air filter all the time I'm in bed.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
water snake,,,,,end of frog,,,,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by DaveR

Wow, a "frog hugger",

No, I'm just not a friggin' liberal that thinks he can tell his neighbors what they can and cannot have on their property. And I don't got throwing [bleep] on other's property, and I don't trespass on other's property.

My guess is that the only frog is the one in your imagination. Better NAIL those windows closed. Caulk'em. Then stuff the walls with foam or whatever. If you think this is your biggest problem you HAVE got problems.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So what kind of liberal are ya Brent?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess that what bugs me most about some Campfire compadres is their arrogance of assuming that A can judge B or B's situation from a distance better than B can judge it from intimate first-hand knowledge.

I ran into this in December, when a fellow in Maryland (who hasn't been here to see my condition or situation) scolded me on the telephone for what he assumed was my irresponsible handling of my income. He knew only that I was in desperate fiscal straits, so he assumed that I was spending rashly for things that I shouldn't be buying. He was 100% wrong.

Long-distance, absentee, vicarious consciences don't show me much. Other than arrogance, nothing.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My windows are closed. My air conditioner and fan is on. My earplugs are in. He is plenty loud enough to overcome all those things.

while im not 100% familiar with the frogs down your way i have to say i cant think of a single species native to the US that are that loud......any chance you have a tropical plant nursery or similar with in a few blocks? i know of a couple species that are that loud but none are native to the US.........if it is infact a real frog and not a recording as someone suggested, i would be almost positive that its not a native species and should be killed anyway.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
DaveR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by DaveR

Wow, a "frog hugger",

No, I'm just not a friggin' liberal that thinks he can tell his neighbors what they can and cannot have on their property. And I don't got throwing [bleep] on other's property, and I don't trespass on other's property.

My guess is that the only frog is the one in your imagination. Better NAIL those windows closed. Caulk'em. Then stuff the walls with foam or whatever. If you think this is your biggest problem you HAVE got problems.

Brent

Let's see....no sleep is not a problem in your book? Being exhausted at work is not a problem in your mind? Stop trying to minimize the problem by insinuating it's some harmless little creature and a problem that's just "in my imagination", and realize it is NOISE, loud disruptive noise at that. It's a very real problem, and a quick search on the internet will show you I'm certainly not the only one who has it.

Didn't answer my questions though, did you? Where do you draw the line? And my neighbor's business becomes my business when it greatly disrupts my quality of life. I asked politely to try and resolve the situation. It's not a problem for him, he's an azzhole, so he refused. Now it's my problem to deal with. And I WILL deal with it, somehow.

You've got a problem with that, then YOU certainly have bigger problems.

Me, a liberal? Now that is a freakin' hoot. You might want to take a look in the mirror though. Isn't there some three toed, red butted beatle you could be off "saving" somewhere?

Imagination? Imagine *this* Putz.

Long-distance, absentee, vicarious consciences don't show me much. Other than arrogance, nothing.

Much nicer than I'd of put it, but spot on.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if this would work but, have you tried noise cancelling earphones? I work on a boat with twin 12 cylinder Cats and they work wonders. However that's a constant drone at about the same freq so the noise cancellation works great.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� a fellow in Maryland (who hasn't been here to see my condition or situation) scolded me on the telephone �

I have to say this in his behalf � he lives in a subyuk of Baltimore, and he works for the government, so he's surrounded by people who're dumber than he is. As a result, he too naturally assumes that everybody else is, too. Understandable but wrong.

grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 57 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,560
Posts18,531,579
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.