Home
Well, another summer is just about upon us,which means the invasion has begun. As I ride around my little city, and "up north" in the ADK's I thought I'd share some tips to make things easier for both of us.

1. The left lane is the passing lane, speed up or move over

2. The mountains, streams and lakes aren't going anywhere. Feel free to not stop in the middle of the road to take a picture. Move to the shoulder and park.

3. Saratoga is not Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan. Dont stop and double park to load and unload. This holds up traffic.

4. We love when you visit, but more importantly your money. Maybe next year you could stay home and send a check!

5. We aren't the ones with the accents

6. I'm sorry if I'm the first to tell you, but the world does not revolve around you. Please dont act that way.

7. Buy a map or GPS

Hope this helps, I'm sure as summer progresses I'll have more tips.

Love it!
Jed

Went up to Long Lake to Hoss's and back home through Newcomb to 87. It was brutal

Things looked calm at exit 25 though!!

greg
Your a brave soul!
I went to Mechanicville Fri. afternoon...home Fri eve.Was enough for me.
Chestertown is full of um today.The invasion is in full bloom.
Same Rules apply to this part of Upstate...

Though we don't get the volume of downstate tourist traffic the Dacks get...we get more than we want.

When in Rome.............
Originally Posted by Adkstalker

3. Saratoga is not Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan. Dont stop and double park to load and unload. This holds up traffic.

I will never forget the time , while driving in the Bronx, that someone cut off our van and trailer (we were delivering one that had broken down) because they wanted to TRIPLE PARK in front of us. Yeah, just seemed like a good opportunity to them, since the whole block on our side was already double parked. shocked They cut in front of us, slammed on their brakes, and ran out of their car into a store...

I will never again drive in NYC, especially while towing ANYTHING. Meanwhile I get job offers in NYC all the time making 3 times as much as I am now. Not worth it, by a longshot.

Meanwhile, the finger lakers, the adirondaks, those areas, really nice, with reasonable people. Too bad they are ruled with an iron fist by the downstaters
Driving in NY/NJ is nothing!! You guys oughtta try driving through Chicago sometime. You'll spend far more time using the left pedal than the right. laugh
I did Chicago at the mornin rush a couple years ago...and your right...nothing! quite like it.Not even I-95 from NYC to CT.
Well, another summer is just about upon us,which means the invasion has begun. As I ride around my little city, and "up north" in the ADK's I thought I'd share some tips to make things easier for both of us.

2. The mountains, streams and lakes aren't going anywhere. Feel free to not stop in the middle of the road to take a picture. Move to the shoulder and park.

4. We love when you visit, but more importantly your money. Maybe next year you could stay home and send a check!

6. I'm sorry if I'm the first to tell you, but the world does not revolve around you. Please dont act that way.

7. Buy a map or GPS

8. Stop signs and stop lights aren't going anywhere--so you don't have to race to get to them.

9. Kepping a safe distance between my vehicle and the one in front of me is NOT an invite to cut in........

10. There are very few--very few--4 lane highways in these parts--learn how to drive on 2 lane roads.

11. Speaking of 2 lane highways, one does NOT have to stop on the mountain curves in order to get out and check if your tires are turned in the right direction........conversly, the straightaways are NOT drag strips.

12. If you hit an elk going 75mph in a 50mph zone it ain't the elk's fault.

13. Deer and elk populate the highways--be prepared. Especially during the winter on the way to Telluride.

14. Open range with cattle and sheep are common--be prepared.

15. Slow moving farm equipment on the roads is common--be prepared.

16. Just because it has sagebrush, or quakies, or spruce on it doesn't mean it's public land--besides, the Homestead Act has expired.

17. Deer do NOT grow up to be elk--they are two different species.

18. Don't feed the bears--and especially don't pet them.

19. I am not impressed with your BMW--and one more dent in my pickup won't matter...

Casey
You mean that you got more than one lane each way up there?
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

7. Buy a map or GPS

8. Stop signs and stop lights aren't going anywhere--so you don't have to race to get to them.

9. Kepping a safe distance between my vehicle and the one in front of me is NOT an invite to cut in........

10. There are very few--very few--4 lane highways in these parts--learn how to drive on 2 lane roads.

11. Speaking of 2 lane highways, one does NOT have to stop on the mountain curves in order to get out and check if your tires are turned in the right direction........conversly, the straightaways are NOT drag strips.

12. If you hit an elk going 75mph in a 50mph zone it ain't the elk's fault.

13. Deer and elk populate the highways--be prepared. Especially during the winter on the way to Telluride.

14. Open range with cattle and sheep are common--be prepared.

15. Slow moving farm equipment on the roads is common--be prepared.

16. Just because it has sagebrush, or quakies, or spruce on it doesn't mean it's public land--besides, the Homestead Act has expired.

17. Deer do NOT grow up to be elk--they are two different species.

18. Don't feed the bears--and especially don't pet them.

19. I am not impressed with your BMW--and one more dent in my pickup won't matter...

Casey

I like # 18. Actually while camping one year up on Harris Lake, some "out of towners" were actually leaving food out so the kids could see the bears. Hence, they were asked to stop or leave by the DEC.

We know better.
I remember trips to LL and Newcomb as a kid to see the bears at the dumps.Reflecting...it was scarey!
I remember kids feeding bears outta their hands.
The Newcomb dump was a "must" see while camping in the north country. The bears used to be out in force at Harris Lake. I remember my cousin coming back to camp after a garbage run, all he could say was "big bear".
Drove back from Brockport this PM, some traffic to Rome, 365 & 8 were just easy. No traffic from Pottersville to home. Guess they must'a fled early.
Originally Posted by JaquesLaRami
You mean that you got more than one lane each way up there?

laugh Well, Red Mountain pass is like 1 1/2 lanes........

Casey
LOL! We say the same thing up here in the U.P. of Michigan. The best is the bumper stickers....
"If it's tourist season, why can't we kill them?"
The Newcomb dump was a "must" see while camping in the north country. The bears used to be out in force at Harris Lake. I remember my cousin coming back to camp after a garbage run, all he could say was "big bear".

Ahh yea.. The Saturday evening trip to see the "Bears" we looked forward to it all week grin
You guys are pikers grin!!!
REAL traffic is what this country boy saw last month in the most frightening eleven hours of my life; when I pulled a cartrailer several miles into "enemy territory" to move my stepdaughter back here...from L.A. You can't even carry a gun down there! Stupidest thing I've ever heard of!
Only good thing about it is my 'roids are gone...choked em to death.
Cute, but since when is Saratoga Springs the DAKS? To me it just another suburb of Albany. The Northway during rush hour could be the LIE or I 80 these days.Everyone bitches about downstaters and Jersey folk except when they are trying to make a living then everyone is looking for the tourists so they can get a taste of some of "That City Money" as I have heard more then once on my travels through the North Country.
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
You guys are pikers grin!!!
REAL traffic is what this country boy saw last month in the most frightening eleven hours of my life; when I pulled a cartrailer several miles into "enemy territory" to move my stepdaughter back here...from L.A. You can't even carry a gun down there! Stupidest thing I've ever heard of!
Only good thing about it is my 'roids are gone...choked em to death.

Now the Bulletbutt moniker reveals itself......... laugh

Casey
Originally Posted by HuntCast
LOL! We say the same thing up here in the U.P. of Michigan. The best is the bumper stickers....
"If it's tourist season, why can't we kill them?"

That's a good one....... laugh

Casey
[Linked Image]

Map of the 'dacks grin

If he lives any place near Caroga Lake he may be in the 'dacks.
I believe I wrote:

" as I ride around my little city, and "up north" in the ADK's"

I didnt say Saratoga was in the ADK's, see the and!! Try reading slower.
on the northway, ADK park starts right around lake george near the queensbury area, just like elf's map shows.

-ken
Adstalker...what's your favorite route to travel when you head to the Mtns? I always like the loop around Crown Point area and down.
Since I mainly go up to camp in IL, I go 87N to Warrensburg and up 28. When we're out for a drive we go up to Long Lake the same way thru Blue Mtn and on to Hoss's then home thru Newcomb out Blue Ridge rd to 87 south
Don't ever come down through IL? That's were I grew up.. My ex's family is from Blue Mtn. Kids from Blue MTn and Raquette Lake come to IL for school. Then if they want to do Vo Tech they have to travel as far as Glens Falls. Lots of time spent on the road for their educations ..
Your location is listed as Saratoga Springs under your title.
Thanks for reminding me where I live.
The point that you've missed is that there are many tourists BOTH in Saratoga and the ADK's, two places I am very familiar with and enjoy being in.
Go up to and thru IL. Got a little hunting shack on Cedar river rd. Spend lots of time in IL and Marty's for margarita's!
When you turn to go onto 28...I'm about 3 miles north...just off Rt 9.Intersection of Stockfarm and 9.
Ohh so your the one that makes all that noise over there. grin
If you were to go out the back door and venture through Marty's parking lot you'd be in my Mom's backyard smile
Marty's was better before it evolved to Marty's Mexican whatever.
Heard the Oak barrel was for sale. The Bear Trap is still kickin', barely. We try to do the circuit when up for hunting.
So instead of turning left onto 28 (coming from warrensburg), (by the Dodge truck place) go straight?
Yeah,follow 9 to the Red Truck Clayworks (Pottery).I'm across the st.
We got the Dack's back!
At least for tonight...took a ride to Pumkin Mt. Gun Shop.(40.7 mi's from my door) smile
Could count all the cars I encountered on both hands me thinks.
pumpkin mtn gunshop, is that between IL and blue mtn? Don Chamberlain I think the name was?
I agree the bars seem to have taken a downward spiral in town. Used to be a great source of entertainment for us kids to watch the patrons stumble from one bar to another and then back again grin
Thinking the major party people have grown up and or moved on to larger towns.
The Bear Trap has gone down hill. The owner died, the wife and two kids are running it now. Used to be good food/fair price. Now their trying to support 3 homes and the prices skyrocketed. 3 of us went there last fall and it cost $70 for 3 cheeseburgers/fries/ 1 order wings and a few beers!!
There's a new place down on Rt 30, used to be The Ugly Mug, went there last fall, it was very good. and reasonable!
Don Hamilton.Yeah thats the place.
The oak bbl seemed to have the better lookin squaws.
Marty's was a rough crowd.Hometown drunks.
I partied w/Fred and Ed from the Bear Trap mostly Eddy.
I don't miss the hang-overs none.
Ahh yes...Freddy, Eddy and Teddy...
Teddy was in school with me (a grade behind) and married one of my best friends. Like you said used to be a decent place but prices are way too much.
I heard Don sold the gunshop and some property across the street. Would of scooped that up but I'm not in the loop, never hit the market. I've heard Don was a hell of a 'smith in his day.
Not that a happily married guy as myself is looking, but the mountain squaws are getting "fugly" They dont even look good when we're drinking!

Town went to hell after Elf left
I have a double spring trap about two inches or less in lenth that I purchased at the original Bear Trap in 1954. Was always going to stop and show them on my travels past the place. Wasn't open yesterday.
Probably closed on Monday's and it being Memorial Day a double whammy.

My oldest is building a house down past there right before the Golf Course as you head north.
Mmmmm. Don't recall. Standard construction? Or logs? Left or right goin' north? I gotta make the trip again in a couple weeks and I'll try to remember to keep an eye open. Looonnnngggg boring drive after the 2nd trip and I passed that a long time ago.
Right hand side going north. Before you get to the little pump house and a bit before the outdoor sporting store on the left. Standard construction but kinda tucked in the woods.

here
Yeah i saw the road going in last fall. Seems like that has gone on for awhile. I think Andy Myers did the excavation work, he's very talented with the machinery.
Andy and my son are friends. He's been having a problem with the APA and everytime he jumps a hurdle they throw up 2 more.
Andy did some work for us, he's great. We have some more but he has become soooo busy. Good for him though
© 24hourcampfire