Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, another summer is just about upon us,which means the invasion has begun. As I ride around my little city, and "up north" in the ADK's I thought I'd share some tips to make things easier for both of us.

1. The left lane is the passing lane, speed up or move over

2. The mountains, streams and lakes aren't going anywhere. Feel free to not stop in the middle of the road to take a picture. Move to the shoulder and park.

3. Saratoga is not Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan. Dont stop and double park to load and unload. This holds up traffic.

4. We love when you visit, but more importantly your money. Maybe next year you could stay home and send a check!

5. We aren't the ones with the accents

6. I'm sorry if I'm the first to tell you, but the world does not revolve around you. Please dont act that way.

7. Buy a map or GPS

Hope this helps, I'm sure as summer progresses I'll have more tips.

Last edited by Adkstalker; 05/27/07.

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love it!

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jed

Went up to Long Lake to Hoss's and back home through Newcomb to 87. It was brutal

Things looked calm at exit 25 though!!

greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your a brave soul!
I went to Mechanicville Fri. afternoon...home Fri eve.Was enough for me.
Chestertown is full of um today.The invasion is in full bloom.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Same Rules apply to this part of Upstate...

Though we don't get the volume of downstate tourist traffic the Dacks get...we get more than we want.

When in Rome.............

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Originally Posted by Adkstalker

3. Saratoga is not Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan. Dont stop and double park to load and unload. This holds up traffic.

I will never forget the time , while driving in the Bronx, that someone cut off our van and trailer (we were delivering one that had broken down) because they wanted to TRIPLE PARK in front of us. Yeah, just seemed like a good opportunity to them, since the whole block on our side was already double parked. shocked They cut in front of us, slammed on their brakes, and ran out of their car into a store...

I will never again drive in NYC, especially while towing ANYTHING. Meanwhile I get job offers in NYC all the time making 3 times as much as I am now. Not worth it, by a longshot.

Meanwhile, the finger lakers, the adirondaks, those areas, really nice, with reasonable people. Too bad they are ruled with an iron fist by the downstaters

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Driving in NY/NJ is nothing!! You guys oughtta try driving through Chicago sometime. You'll spend far more time using the left pedal than the right. laugh

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did Chicago at the mornin rush a couple years ago...and your right...nothing! quite like it.Not even I-95 from NYC to CT.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well, another summer is just about upon us,which means the invasion has begun. As I ride around my little city, and "up north" in the ADK's I thought I'd share some tips to make things easier for both of us.

2. The mountains, streams and lakes aren't going anywhere. Feel free to not stop in the middle of the road to take a picture. Move to the shoulder and park.

4. We love when you visit, but more importantly your money. Maybe next year you could stay home and send a check!

6. I'm sorry if I'm the first to tell you, but the world does not revolve around you. Please dont act that way.

7. Buy a map or GPS

8. Stop signs and stop lights aren't going anywhere--so you don't have to race to get to them.

9. Kepping a safe distance between my vehicle and the one in front of me is NOT an invite to cut in........

10. There are very few--very few--4 lane highways in these parts--learn how to drive on 2 lane roads.

11. Speaking of 2 lane highways, one does NOT have to stop on the mountain curves in order to get out and check if your tires are turned in the right direction........conversly, the straightaways are NOT drag strips.

12. If you hit an elk going 75mph in a 50mph zone it ain't the elk's fault.

13. Deer and elk populate the highways--be prepared. Especially during the winter on the way to Telluride.

14. Open range with cattle and sheep are common--be prepared.

15. Slow moving farm equipment on the roads is common--be prepared.

16. Just because it has sagebrush, or quakies, or spruce on it doesn't mean it's public land--besides, the Homestead Act has expired.

17. Deer do NOT grow up to be elk--they are two different species.

18. Don't feed the bears--and especially don't pet them.

19. I am not impressed with your BMW--and one more dent in my pickup won't matter...

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean that you got more than one lane each way up there?

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

7. Buy a map or GPS

8. Stop signs and stop lights aren't going anywhere--so you don't have to race to get to them.

9. Kepping a safe distance between my vehicle and the one in front of me is NOT an invite to cut in........

10. There are very few--very few--4 lane highways in these parts--learn how to drive on 2 lane roads.

11. Speaking of 2 lane highways, one does NOT have to stop on the mountain curves in order to get out and check if your tires are turned in the right direction........conversly, the straightaways are NOT drag strips.

12. If you hit an elk going 75mph in a 50mph zone it ain't the elk's fault.

13. Deer and elk populate the highways--be prepared. Especially during the winter on the way to Telluride.

14. Open range with cattle and sheep are common--be prepared.

15. Slow moving farm equipment on the roads is common--be prepared.

16. Just because it has sagebrush, or quakies, or spruce on it doesn't mean it's public land--besides, the Homestead Act has expired.

17. Deer do NOT grow up to be elk--they are two different species.

18. Don't feed the bears--and especially don't pet them.

19. I am not impressed with your BMW--and one more dent in my pickup won't matter...

Casey

I like # 18. Actually while camping one year up on Harris Lake, some "out of towners" were actually leaving food out so the kids could see the bears. Hence, they were asked to stop or leave by the DEC.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We know better.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember trips to LL and Newcomb as a kid to see the bears at the dumps.Reflecting...it was scarey!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember kids feeding bears outta their hands.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Newcomb dump was a "must" see while camping in the north country. The bears used to be out in force at Harris Lake. I remember my cousin coming back to camp after a garbage run, all he could say was "big bear".

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Drove back from Brockport this PM, some traffic to Rome, 365 & 8 were just easy. No traffic from Pottersville to home. Guess they must'a fled early.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JaquesLaRami
You mean that you got more than one lane each way up there?

laugh Well, Red Mountain pass is like 1 1/2 lanes........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
LOL! We say the same thing up here in the U.P. of Michigan. The best is the bumper stickers....
"If it's tourist season, why can't we kill them?"

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Newcomb dump was a "must" see while camping in the north country. The bears used to be out in force at Harris Lake. I remember my cousin coming back to camp after a garbage run, all he could say was "big bear".

Ahh yea.. The Saturday evening trip to see the "Bears" we looked forward to it all week grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys are pikers grin!!!
REAL traffic is what this country boy saw last month in the most frightening eleven hours of my life; when I pulled a cartrailer several miles into "enemy territory" to move my stepdaughter back here...from L.A. You can't even carry a gun down there! Stupidest thing I've ever heard of!
Only good thing about it is my 'roids are gone...choked em to death.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (257_X_50, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 25classic, 1beaver_shooter, 270cowboy, 71 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,405
Posts18,506,968
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.