Home
Posted By: .280Rem Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
A video of this story was on the link with the "son shot by father, mistook for turkey" but I couldn't figure out how to single out that video to post here. It's just the cop's boss issuing the standard "but cops are special and he did nothing wrong when he violated the law, you wouldn't want the cops to spend an inordinate amount of time searching for a legal parking space would you?" And for the "I hate cop bashers" here. It's not about what the cop did, as it's fairly benign. It's about the attitude that comes with it and the standard rhetoric that follows trying to excuse everything cops do. Some PR professionals should try to get to cops like this and explain how to act when caught with your hand in the cookie jar, but that would require cops that actually thought they could make a mistake or do something wrong. Gotta wonder how the young attorney will pay in the furture for his troubles.

Turning the Tables
Citizen Issues Parking Ticket to Cop
BY MATT DAVIS

A CITIZEN who watched a cop illegally park, then walk into a Chinese restaurant to wait for his food, has issued the officer a series of citizen-initiated parking violations.

Eric Bryant says he was sitting in the SanSai Japanese Grill on NW 21st and Hoyt on March 7 when he witnessed Officer Chad Stensgaard pull up and park his patrol car illegally, next to a "No Parking" sign.

Stensgaard walked into the restaurant wearing his police uniform, but did not make any arrests or citations. Instead, he turned his attention to the basketball game on television, according to Bryant. When Bryant asked Stensgaard about his vehicle, Stensgaard allegedly acknowledged being in a no-parking zone but asked Bryant, "If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the police be able to park in front of your house or have to park three blocks away and walk there?"

Bryant returned to his seat, and says shortly afterward he watched a restaurant employee hand the officer a plastic bag before he left. Unfortunately for Officer Stensgaard, Bryant had recently passed the Oregon bar exam, and decided to pursue the matter further.

"If he had acknowledged and corrected his error, we could have avoided this whole thing," says Bryant. "But instead, he kept watching basketball and told me he wasn't doing anything wrong."

Now, using ORS 153.058, Bryant�as a private citizen�has initiated violation proceedings against Officer Stensgaard. Bryant alleges Stensgaard was in violation of state statutes on illegal parking, illegal stopping, obeying parking restrictions on state highways, and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle or ambulance�the violations carry fines totaling $540.

Officer Stensgaard has received a Multnomah County summons to appear in traffic court on May 23. Meanwhile Bryant denies he is just stirring up trouble.

"Citizens should be concerned that he used his status as an officer of the law as justification for breaking the law," he says.

Stensgaard declined comment through the cops' office of public information.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
I think Mr. Bryant has a point. The cops have all the same responsibilities as a citizen and those imposed by being a cop.
If ya want special privilidges become an elected official.
Jim
I'm thinking Mr. Bryant just might win one of them there Pyrric victories. I believe that is what it is called when you win but lose so much it ain't hardly worth it.

BCR
Posted By: .280Rem Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Originally Posted by arkypete
I think Mr. Bryant has a point. The cops have all the same responsibilities as a citizen and those imposed by being a cop.
Jim

laugh

Well, all you have to do is think about it this way. Attorney Bryant, on his way to court and in a hurry to get lunch before court, parks in the no parking zone...then upon being approached by the cop, informs the cop how important and special he is, how he needs to be quick, and that though it's a no parking zone, he's doing nothing wrong by parking in it due to his special status. You don't have to be real smart to figure how that plays out.
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
I'm thinking Mr. Bryant just might win one of them there Pyrric victories. I believe that is what it is called when you win but lose so much it ain't hardly worth it.

BCR

Have to wonder how it will play out in court. Will the judge follow the law, or keep the cops on his side? At any rate, I suspect he'll be "known" from now on by the local PD. He'd better mind his P's and Q's on the roadways.
Kind of what I meant. If he "wins" he ain't going to be able to break wind in that town without being hassled for something. Environmental pollution if nothing else. grin

BCR
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
The LAW is the LAW,I agree officer should have moved squad car,if he starts getting harassed,that's another law being broken.To Protect and Serve.
Posted By: rob p Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
At the supermarket I shop at, the police and firemen do not park in the parking spaces. They park in the no parking zones right up against the curb. I think it's dangerous because it blocks the view walking off the curb. My Aunt got hit walking off the grocery curb a couple years ago and I think it's dangerous to the shoppers for anyone to park there.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

One of my favorite bumper stickers was of a cop talking to a kid, and saying "I'm gonna kick your ass boy, and get away with it :)"
Posted By: muskybite Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Regardless of what one thinks about this, only a jerk would push for someone to be charged with all these citations for being parked illegally. Something called discretion.

Originally Posted by muskybite
Regardless of what one thinks about this, only a jerk would push for someone to be charged with all these citations for being parked illegally. Something called discretion.

No, that kind of flaunting the law, and holier than thou attitude is EXACTLY the type scenario that would get a cop to really pile on a citizen.
Posted By: Barak's Womn Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Originally Posted by .280Rem
"Citizens should be concerned that he used his status as an officer of the law as justification for breaking the law," he says.

And that is the whole point.

Of course, the "bad" cops are the ones who get the publicity, and the good ones are just taken as a matter of course. So I want to reassure all the LEOs here that I DO think you're good guys, and I DON'T think that you would ever do this. smile

The easiest way around this would have been for him to say, "I screwed up, and I'm sorry and won't do it again." But pride is a powerful force, and often manifests itself in our lives in very negative and destructive ways.

Penny
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08

Originally Posted by arkypete
Jim

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That's true, i've transported drunken Judges who were behind the wheel home, instead of jail. Let speeding ADA's go with no citation, both cases when i worked in patrol. These things happen everyday across America. You've got to know what battles to pick and the ones to walk away from, when your working for and around elected officials.

In the cases i described it's known as job retention, your own job. This is due to the personnal friendship between my boss, an elected official and the Judge and the District Attorney General, all of which are elected. All that it takes is a word spoken or a phone call, that someone needs to explain to that deputy, how things work. It's like working for the mob, your either in or your out.

It's not written in policy, it's just a known fact, they're hands off. It's an unwritten perk of the elected office. If you break that rule as an LEO, you'll pay professionally, you'll either be fired or screwed with so much, that you'll quit just to get away from the harassment. It'll follow you to the next agency, if you ever get hired again anywhere, most times you'll be blackballed.

If you check around in your community you'll find former LEO's, who were going to do the right thing. Take care of business no matter who they were. They're probably not working in LE now, due to either being canned or quitting due to the BS, and have been blackballed, by word of mouth from working at other agencies.
Posted By: Light12 Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
A Chicago cop, questioned about his parking manners, would have kicked snot out of the lawyer. ''Hey, you got a problem with dis?''
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Well, all you have to do is think about it this way. Attorney Bryant, on his way to court and in a hurry to get lunch before court, parks in the no parking zone...then upon being approached by the cop, informs the cop how important and special he is, how he needs to be quick, and that though it's a no parking zone, he's doing nothing wrong by parking in it due to his special status. You don't have to be real smart to figure how that plays out.

It's amazing how many people think that in whatever way they are "special" means that it's okay to break the law or do what everyone else is not supposed to do. This especially plays itself out when parking is involved.

Several times (when I have been driving around trying to find a free parking space so I can get to class), I have caught a student pulling into what should have been my space in the faculty/staff parking log. When I say to the student, "You probably don't realize this, but this is faculty parking only," the student responds, "Well, I just have to run inside for a minute (to turn this paper in, to talk to my advisor, to pick up a book, etc.)." It really makes me angry. So I call Public Safety and ask them to come over and ticket... but whether they do or not is another story.

I also remember once when I was at the grocery store parking lot, and saw a woman from my church getting out of her car parked in a handicapped space. I asked her what had happened to her, that she was now parking there (I really thought she had had some sort of accident, etc.) She said that she didn't have a handicapped permit, but, "I deserve to park there because I'm old!" Come on... she wasn't so old that she couldn't walk like the rest of us!

That same grocery store has two of its closest parking spaces marked with a sign, "For expectant and new mothers ONLY." You can't imagine how many times I've seen men get out of vehicles there, and also women old enough to be grandmothers (but with no children). I always want to point out to them that they shouldn't be parking there, but in the end, they'll probably just curse at me and go on inside. It's not worth it.

So I applaud this young lawyer for what he did... but like someone else said, I hope he doesn't pay a price for it.

Penny
It'll be interesting how it all plays out. It may or maynot even get on the court docket. A couple of phone calls here and there and it'll be taken care of. I am suprised that the Magistrate/Judicial Commissioner, even wrote the summons. Most cases involving LEO's and violation of laws in this state anyway, have to be run by the DAG first. The DAG's Office will present the case if the laws been broken.
Posted By: Borealis Bob Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Whenever I hear "citizens arrest" it reminds me of the episode wherein Gomer Pyle did same to Barney Fife.

Can't help but grin over it.
[quote=Mannlicher]As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & management issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

This is just a question, and i would like to hear your opinion. So what do you recommend that LEO's wear, that would fit the public's perception of "officer friendly" ?
Posted By: joken2 Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
I have no doubt abuses do occur but I always assumed emergency personnel/vehicles are allowed to park in normally restricted parking areas because of the possibility of having to respond to an emergency call in a hurry.
Posted By: NurseKat Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Originally Posted by hunter1960
[quote=Mannlicher]As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & mangagement issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

This is just a question, and i would like to hear your opinion. So what do you recommend that LEO's wear, that would fit the public's perception of "officer friendly" ?

Italian suits work for me!!!! LOL grin

so Musky, are you one of 'them'?

I doubt many cops back off from charging Citizens with all those citations just for being parked illegally. smile
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & mangagement issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

its not about the clothes hunter, its about attitude. Hey you knew that though, right?

Frankly, I don't give a rats butt what you guys wear. Even in plain clothes and driving an unmarked car, y'all can be spotted a mile away. smile
Originally Posted by joken2
I have no doubt abuses do occur but I always assumed emergency personnel/vehicles are allowed to park in normally restricted parking areas because of the possibility of having to respond to an emergency call in a hurry.

That's the concept, but has it been abused and broken, by many LEO'S. Many the walk wouldn't hurt them. grin

It's like truckstops, you'll see the fatest drivers parking nearest to the facilities, some are so fat they waddle like a duck (some LEO's too). laugh I like parking in the back of the lot more room, don't mind walking.
Posted By: bcp Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

I also remember once when I was at the grocery store parking lot, and saw a woman from my church getting out of her car parked in a handicapped space. ...She said that she didn't have a handicapped permit, but, "I deserve to park there because I'm old!"

Penny

I've often thought handicapped parking signs would be more effective if they said the space was reserved for the physically handicapped and mentally retarded.

Bruce
Yeah... I've been tempted at times when I see a perfectly healthy person with no handicapped tag getting out of a car in a handicapped space to say, "Ah... I see... you're mentally handicapped!"

Of course, I'm too nice to do that. [Linked Image]

Penny
Posted By: muskybite Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Hi Mannlicher,

Yes, I am a police officer (low level patrol supervisor) in Wisconsin. smile

Yeah, I write people as many citations as possible for minor parking violations. wink In fact after today, instead of writing a $20 parking fine or giving a warning, I think I should start writing the $100 plus state citations and while I am at it stack on as many as possible. Being sarcastic for those that didn't notice.

Yes, officers keep their squads in close proximity so they can respond to calls quickly if needed.

Anyhow, back to reading about hunting.

Hi Mannlicher,

Yes, I am a police officer (low level patrol supervisor) in Wisconsin. smile

Yeah, I write people as many citations as possible for minor parking violations. wink In fact after today, instead of writing a $20 parking fine or giving a warning, I think I should start writing the $100 plus state citations and while I am at it stack on as many as possible. Being sarcastic for those that didn't notice.

Yes, officers keep their squads in close proximity so they can respond to calls quickly if needed.

Anyhow, back to reading about hunting.

Hey, welcome aboard. Not everything we discuss pizzes off all the folks all the time though smile

Hope to see you over on the hunting and shooting forums as well grin
Posted By: isaac Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
If I were a cop,I'd do anything to avoid going to court over parking tickets. I bet you've put quarters in meters to help folks out, Sam.
Posted By: Steve Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
This has been on the news here locally.

There was a PPD spokeswomen being interviewed on the radio about this yesterday morning. She stated that the police have the okay to temporarily park in areas where safety is not effected when eating lunch, using a restroom, etc. This is because the are required to be able to respond to a call even when on a break.

As she related the cop wasn't even going to eat there, but was waiting for his to go package. It's a BS issue.

The area where the 'citation' was issued is known for having very little parking. Personally I've had to park about 15 blocks away from my destination in that area. It's a pain in the a$$ and I rarely go there because of that. I want a cop to be able to get it his car in less that 15 seconds if he has a call.

Personally I thin that this story has more to do with the city of Portland being obsessed with sexy mass transit (light rail, trolley's, trams) and bicycles that serve a fraction of a percent of the people. They are obstinate in working for and improving road and parking for the 99.5 percent of the people who use cars.

Look up 'Sellwood Bridge' or 'Sauvie Island bridge' or 'South Water Front transportation' or 'tram overruns' or 'light rail costs per mile' or 'I5 bridge light rail'. These guys running Portland and Multnomah county are just plain incompetent.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Only parking tickets I wrote were to keep one side of very narrow streets clear in case of ambulance or fire truck passage. Hydrants got wrote too. Otw, I could care less and only did different if ordered. City ordinances were never a priority for us as one could read the book and learn that NOBODY could go through an entire day without breaking that set of "laws" somehow.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & management issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

what purpose do mirrored sunglasses cops wear serve? Intimidation?
Originally Posted by isaac
If I were a cop,I'd do anything to avoid going to court over parking tickets. I bet you've put quarters in meters to help folks out, Sam.

I have Bob. However, there is a little known law in Florida (and I suspect other places as well) that makes it a misdemeanor for a Citizen to put coins in a meter to help a fellow out, and keep the other Citizen from getting a parking ticket.
Originally Posted by TooDogs

I'll be honest twodogs, I haven't a clue as to why they wear them. wink
Originally Posted by TooDogs

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't know, i don't wear them. You'll have to ask those that do. Why do Citizens wear them?
Posted By: g5m Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by isaac

I have Bob. However, there is a little known law in Florida (and I suspect other places as well) that makes it a misdemeanor for a Citizen to put coins in a meter to help a fellow out, and keep the other Citizen from getting a parking ticket.

That's interesting. I wonder if you'd get a ticket just for putting a coin in a meter to help a citizen out if you weren't
just ahead of the officer or meter maid who was writing parking tickets.
THe local cops who visit the hospital..not always there on offical business..just to shoot the breeze with the nurses....park in the fire lane..EVERY TIME. Last week we had a 34 yo man fall to the ground in the parking lot with a massive MI between 2 cars trying to get into the hospital for help. I was a first responder. He FILLED THE SPACE between the 2 cars....quite literally. I had...shall we say....a diffuclt time getting to him to get his airway open and start cpr. The cop.....chasing skirts in the hospital...... saw the crowd gathered and came out just in time to help me ..LITERALLY..... pull this man by the feet out from between the 2 cars to get him onto a stretcher that the local ems/fire truck had pulled up with. We got him intubated, a line in, and shocked twice by the time we hit the door. He didnt make it......but I SURE WAS glad that cop was nearby. Parking in the fire lane was not the right thing to do...but I was not even thinking in those terms. Neither were the firemen there to help me.

Wonder if he will get a ticket???? Of course...in the future..I would discourage that behavior...were it my responsibility to enforce parking....but its not.
I don't know, i don't wear them. You'll have to ask those that do. Why do Citizens wear them?

Where's GeneL when we need him? grin

Penny
Cops chasing skirts in the hospital, i am shocked !!! shocked

LEO's have a reputation as whore mongers, some have really earned it. shocked grin

It couldn't have anything to do with "holster sniffing" hospital employee's could it ? shocked grin
It's that supply vs demand thing I guess. ???? I frankly dont care why he was there...nor where he was parked. I was GLAD to see him come running when I needed help. No complaints here. I leave the traffic enforcement to those hired to do it.
What was the issue with the 34 year old, bad heart or bad lifestyle, causing bad heart?
BOTH! 350 pounder....smoker......ect....ect.... Just a good ole boy. Had chest pain for 4 FREAKIN DAYS when his Budweiser buddy says..."Reckon we need to go to the hospital??" Poor thing had been having an MI for 4 days. His heart muscle was G-O-N-E by the time I got to him in the parking lot. I had about 20 OB/gyn nurses jumping up and down screaming "he aint got a pulse". I had to literally push my way into the crowd screaming "Im the trauma nurse" to get to him. This cop cleared that scene like I have never seen! HE was a lifesaver for me that day and I really appreciated his help. The man went down on the east side of the bldg...next to the Womens center. Those OB nurses responded first. I had to grab a defibrillator and a backpack with cardio drugs and an intubation kit and run from the main hospital to get to him.

Like I said...I dont care why he was there or where he was parked. I guess its all relative considering the help he was to me and that poor man.
Posted By: blinddog1 Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
I can remember one thing being stressed when I was at the Police acadimy that was "you cannot enforce the law, if you do not obey the law." I guess twenty years has made a differance and that is not stressed as much, or it is just not listened to. Some did not back then either,that was why I got to work IAD my last few years.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
It is what it is. The places around my AO that have specific "parking enforcement" ticket whether it's a cruiser or not. When I go to Court, which is in the city bordering my jurisdiction, I always park across the street in a municipal lot. I figure I'll leave the on-street parking for those that aren't as able to walk.

When at work I observe the same parking regulations as everybody else. The only exception being if we get serious call at a business. At that point I park wherever my cruiser lands, fire lane or not.

And, yeah, I write on the average of one parking ticket a year. It's usually written to somebody who blocks the boat launch.

George
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Citizen's Arrest! - 04/22/08
Originally Posted by blinddog1
I can remember one thing being stressed when I was at the Police acadimy that was "you cannot enforce the law, if you do not obey the law." I guess twenty years has made a differance and that is not stressed as much, or it is just not listened to. Some did not back then either,that was why I got to work IAD my last few years.

It's still stressed at our Academy and I stress it to my guys every day. Everybody makes a mistake once in a while, it's the way they own up to it, to me, that makes the difference.

George
Originally Posted by blinddog1

Very true. I had a fellow tell me years ago, that you need to accept the fact that in LE, you live and work in a fishbowl. Everyone see's what you do everyday on duty or off, there's no getting away from it.

You having worked IAD, understand that it works both ways. I've seen people complain about officers who gave them a break, it amazes me at times that some people will do this. I know you've seen some people complain about LEO's, simply because they can, even when the LEO has done nothing, that's out of policy or procedures.

I've seen some people, that after explaining the differences between civil and criminal law and telling them that they need to call an Attorney, that you can't help them. Call and complain that the officer didn't do anything to help them, and that he/she was rude.

I have a friend who has about 125Ac. his neighbor is weird, he has about the same amount of property. The neighbor has no livestock etc. on the property, he doesn't hunt he's a Greenie. This location is out in the country. My friend will let his beagles out of the kennel to run a rabbit for exercise.

The beagles will cross a woven wire fence, onto the neighbors property while chasing the rabbit. The dogs will circle back in about five minutes or so, following the rabbit back to where, the beagles jumped it up from. The neighbor will call the S.O. asking for my friends supervisor to complain. This rather then contact my friend who's in the phonebook, of which the neighbor has never called.

This all because my friend is an LEO and the neighbor can complain to his supervision. If my friend worked for "Bubba's Plumbing" the neighbor wouldn't call Bubba, Bubba would tell him to go FO&D.

How many of you that aren't LE, ever had someone call your supervisor about you, that wasn't work related? This stuff happens all the time in LE.
© 24hourcampfire