Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muskybite
Regardless of what one thinks about this, only a jerk would push for someone to be charged with all these citations for being parked illegally. Something called discretion.

so Musky, are you one of 'them'?

I doubt many cops back off from charging Citizens with all those citations just for being parked illegally. smile

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & mangagement issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

This is just a question, and i would like to hear your opinion. So what do you recommend that LEO's wear, that would fit the public's perception of "officer friendly" ?

its not about the clothes hunter, its about attitude. Hey you knew that though, right?

Frankly, I don't give a rats butt what you guys wear. Even in plain clothes and driving an unmarked car, y'all can be spotted a mile away. smile

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2
I have no doubt abuses do occur but I always assumed emergency personnel/vehicles are allowed to park in normally restricted parking areas because of the possibility of having to respond to an emergency call in a hurry.

That's the concept, but has it been abused and broken, by many LEO'S. Many the walk wouldn't hurt them. grin

It's like truckstops, you'll see the fatest drivers parking nearest to the facilities, some are so fat they waddle like a duck (some LEO's too). laugh I like parking in the back of the lot more room, don't mind walking.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

I also remember once when I was at the grocery store parking lot, and saw a woman from my church getting out of her car parked in a handicapped space. ...She said that she didn't have a handicapped permit, but, "I deserve to park there because I'm old!"

Penny

I've often thought handicapped parking signs would be more effective if they said the space was reserved for the physically handicapped and mentally retarded.

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah... I've been tempted at times when I see a perfectly healthy person with no handicapped tag getting out of a car in a handicapped space to say, "Ah... I see... you're mentally handicapped!"

Of course, I'm too nice to do that. [Linked Image]

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

M
M
Hi Mannlicher,

Yes, I am a police officer (low level patrol supervisor) in Wisconsin. smile

Yeah, I write people as many citations as possible for minor parking violations. wink In fact after today, instead of writing a $20 parking fine or giving a warning, I think I should start writing the $100 plus state citations and while I am at it stack on as many as possible. Being sarcastic for those that didn't notice.

Yes, officers keep their squads in close proximity so they can respond to calls quickly if needed.

Anyhow, back to reading about hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by muskybite
Hi Mannlicher,

Yes, I am a police officer (low level patrol supervisor) in Wisconsin. smile

Yeah, I write people as many citations as possible for minor parking violations. wink In fact after today, instead of writing a $20 parking fine or giving a warning, I think I should start writing the $100 plus state citations and while I am at it stack on as many as possible. Being sarcastic for those that didn't notice.

Yes, officers keep their squads in close proximity so they can respond to calls quickly if needed.

Anyhow, back to reading about hunting.

Hey, welcome aboard. Not everything we discuss pizzes off all the folks all the time though smile

Hope to see you over on the hunting and shooting forums as well grin

Sam......

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If I were a cop,I'd do anything to avoid going to court over parking tickets. I bet you've put quarters in meters to help folks out, Sam.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been on the news here locally.

There was a PPD spokeswomen being interviewed on the radio about this yesterday morning. She stated that the police have the okay to temporarily park in areas where safety is not effected when eating lunch, using a restroom, etc. This is because the are required to be able to respond to a call even when on a break.

As she related the cop wasn't even going to eat there, but was waiting for his to go package. It's a BS issue.

The area where the 'citation' was issued is known for having very little parking. Personally I've had to park about 15 blocks away from my destination in that area. It's a pain in the a$$ and I rarely go there because of that. I want a cop to be able to get it his car in less that 15 seconds if he has a call.

Personally I thin that this story has more to do with the city of Portland being obsessed with sexy mass transit (light rail, trolley's, trams) and bicycles that serve a fraction of a percent of the people. They are obstinate in working for and improving road and parking for the 99.5 percent of the people who use cars.

Look up 'Sellwood Bridge' or 'Sauvie Island bridge' or 'South Water Front transportation' or 'tram overruns' or 'light rail costs per mile' or 'I5 bridge light rail'. These guys running Portland and Multnomah county are just plain incompetent.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only parking tickets I wrote were to keep one side of very narrow streets clear in case of ambulance or fire truck passage. Hydrants got wrote too. Otw, I could care less and only did different if ordered. City ordinances were never a priority for us as one could read the book and learn that NOBODY could go through an entire day without breaking that set of "laws" somehow.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=Mannlicher]As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & management issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

This is just a question, and i would like to hear your opinion. So what do you recommend that LEO's wear, that would fit the public's perception of "officer friendly" ?

what purpose do mirrored sunglasses cops wear serve? Intimidation?

GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac
If I were a cop,I'd do anything to avoid going to court over parking tickets. I bet you've put quarters in meters to help folks out, Sam.

I have Bob. However, there is a little known law in Florida (and I suspect other places as well) that makes it a misdemeanor for a Citizen to put coins in a meter to help a fellow out, and keep the other Citizen from getting a parking ticket.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TooDogs
[quote=Mannlicher]As long as cops wear those big shiny reflective sunglasses, and tailored shirts, it ain't gonna change.

So that's the reason!!! shirts and sunglasses. I was always wondering what the cause of LE problems were. I was always told it was due to other factors, such as selection issues, training issues & management issues. Sorta like businessmen in Italian suits or other examples of "hey look" i've got money.

I'll be honest twodogs, I haven't a clue as to why they wear them. wink

Last edited by Mannlicher; 04/22/08.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TooDogs

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't know, i don't wear them. You'll have to ask those that do. Why do Citizens wear them?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by isaac

I have Bob. However, there is a little known law in Florida (and I suspect other places as well) that makes it a misdemeanor for a Citizen to put coins in a meter to help a fellow out, and keep the other Citizen from getting a parking ticket.

That's interesting. I wonder if you'd get a ticket just for putting a coin in a meter to help a citizen out if you weren't
just ahead of the officer or meter maid who was writing parking tickets.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
THe local cops who visit the hospital..not always there on offical business..just to shoot the breeze with the nurses....park in the fire lane..EVERY TIME. Last week we had a 34 yo man fall to the ground in the parking lot with a massive MI between 2 cars trying to get into the hospital for help. I was a first responder. He FILLED THE SPACE between the 2 cars....quite literally. I had...shall we say....a diffuclt time getting to him to get his airway open and start cpr. The cop.....chasing skirts in the hospital...... saw the crowd gathered and came out just in time to help me ..LITERALLY..... pull this man by the feet out from between the 2 cars to get him onto a stretcher that the local ems/fire truck had pulled up with. We got him intubated, a line in, and shocked twice by the time we hit the door. He didnt make it......but I SURE WAS glad that cop was nearby. Parking in the fire lane was not the right thing to do...but I was not even thinking in those terms. Neither were the firemen there to help me.

Wonder if he will get a ticket???? Of course...in the future..I would discourage that behavior...were it my responsibility to enforce parking....but its not.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know, i don't wear them. You'll have to ask those that do. Why do Citizens wear them?

Where's GeneL when we need him? grin

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cops chasing skirts in the hospital, i am shocked !!! shocked

LEO's have a reputation as whore mongers, some have really earned it. shocked grin

It couldn't have anything to do with "holster sniffing" hospital employee's could it ? shocked grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's that supply vs demand thing I guess. ???? I frankly dont care why he was there...nor where he was parked. I was GLAD to see him come running when I needed help. No complaints here. I leave the traffic enforcement to those hired to do it.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was the issue with the 34 year old, bad heart or bad lifestyle, causing bad heart?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.