Home
Posted By: isaac Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
For a little more insight, I toss this commentary out here for a FYI to all interested.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sarah Palin -- Dream Girl
A Commentary by Debra J. Saunders
Sunday, August 31, 2008 Email to a FriendAdvertisement
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL -- Bingo.

For weeks, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has been the Republican whom conservatives barely dared to hope could become John McCain's pick as his running mate.

For Republicans angry at Washington's big-spending bonanza when Republicans controlled the White House and Congress, Palin, like McCain, is an antidote. She is the Alaskan who pulled state support for the infamous Bridge to Nowhere and bucked Alaska's congressional and state Republican leaders.

For social conservatives, the mother of five has impeccable credentials. She's a member of Feminists for Life, who walked the walk in April when she gave birth to a son, shown by genetic testing to have Down syndrome. "I'm looking at him right now, and I see perfection," she said of her son, Trig. "Yeah, he has an extra chromosome. I keep thinking, in our world, what is normal and what is perfect?"

For conservatives, who felt that McCain has been at times too cozy with the Washington left, Palin is a conservative's conservative -- a moose hunter and co-owner of a commercial fishing operation.

As an Alaskan, she favors drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Her husband works for BP on an Alaska oil field. Yet, as the Almanac of American Politics has reported, she stood up to Big Oil when she supported a natural gas pipeline instead of an oil pipeline backed by the state's major petroleum interests. McCain has been too much of a wishful thinker when it comes to energy policy. Palin could champion a more grounded approach to energy.

As a female candidate, Palin just might attract disgruntled Hillary Rodham Clinton supporters -- or at least give them pause before voting for the Obama-Biden ticket.

After Barack Obama picked Joe Biden as his running mate, I began to steel myself for the possibility that McCain might make a similarly uninspiring, but seemingly safe, choice. The top pick of Beltway insiders was former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a strong campaigner with solid economic credentials -- but flawed by what seemed an opportunistic shift to the right on social issues in order to win the GOP primary. Former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge supports abortion rights -- a plus for me -- but he likely would be the butt of late-night talk-show jokes because of the color-coded federal warning system devised to alert Americans to the likelihood of terrorist attacks when he was director of Homeland Security. Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty looked OK -- but he wasn't Sarah Palin.

Is she short on experience? Yes. Voters will have to watch her performance on the campaign trail to judge how she responds to high-stakes politics and the international arena.

That said, as a governor, Palin she has more experience running a government than Obama, who began serving his first term in the U.S. Senate in 2005. And unlike Obama, Palin has shown herself willing to challenge her jaded ethical policies within her party. That's change.

As McCain said Friday, Palin is "exactly who this country needs" to help him confront "the same old Washington politics of me first and country second."

On the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, she investigated fellow commission member Randy Ruedrich, the state Republican Party chairman, in an effort that led to his resignation and paying a $12,000 fine levied by Alaska's attorney general. In 2006, she ran against the incumbent Republican governor, Frank Murkowski -- and won.

She is not a hard-core social conservative. For example, Palin supported awarding benefits for same-sex couples. But she is a good fiscal conservative, who used her veto power to reduce her state's budget by $124 million.

Palin is a maverick, like he's a maverick. She complements McCain's ardent opposition, not only to congressional earmarks, but also to the pork-rich farm bill and ethanol subsidies supported by Obama.

Pollster Frank Luntz told me in Denver that the key to victory for McCain is to trumpet one theme -- "accountability." McCain, he said, should promise government that does what it is supposed to do, punishes bad actors who break the rules and ends "wasteful Washington spending." On that score, Palin was made to order.
Posted By: arkypete Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Palin has my vote.

Jim
Palin has my vote

Mine too, and a little bit of my money. I could not make myself donate to help McCain until now. miles
Posted By: Hindsite Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Isaac.............Great post.....Thanks.
I'm liking McCain/Palin as well, but honestly, the wart on a blind dog's butt could make a better choice than Obama/Biden. If you have a small conservative bone in your body, McCain/Palin is the ONLY way to vote . . . . . and I can't vote. grin
Posted By: isaac Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Once Palin completes her DC political crash course on dealing with foreign policy issues, there won't be one single topic of which she couldn't go head to head with either Bam-Bam or Biden.

This VP pick is the real deal. Biden's going to have a very difficult learning curve in knowing how to compete against her.

I'm betting she'll provoke him to get caught calling her a bich on live feed somewhere down the road.
Posted By: Sassy Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Now that would be good. I can see the repercussions now.
Posted By: sse Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Its just the veep spot anyway...She's probably been overseas as much as Obama has, too. I think its a great start for her on the national scene.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Once Palin completes her DC political crash course on dealing with foreign policy issues, there won't be one single topic of which she couldn't go head to head with either Bam-Bam or Biden.

Palin's gonna become an expert in foriegn policy overnight by reading cliff's notes??????? sick Sorry dude we need someone a little more astute at this point in time.

McCant, in his infinite wisdom chose a woman to garner the female vote of hildabeast supporters. Sad thing is there's enough simple-minded people out there that will prove him right.

McCant is an idiot.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by sse
Its just the veep spot anyway...She's probably been overseas as much as Obama has,

Actually,..she didn't even have a passport until very recently.
I'm sure a lot of these little details will be revealed in the near future, but I have seen some pics on line of her with troops in camo, I think they were in Germany. I'm sure the Dems will be keeping track if they see some gain in that. But, one thing is for sure, Obama has a pretty paltry record of foreign policy background for a presidential candidate.
Would be wise for either one to keep Condoleezza on speed dial.............. wink
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Bob (Isaac),
I made my first ever political donation to McCain/Palin last week.
Bristoe,
You sound like a KOS-kiddie.
I believe the troop photo's were taken at Ft. Lewis, WA. where her son was stationed. If she didn't have a passport, she wouldn't of been allowed entry into Germany.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Seems Palin went to Germany in July '07

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Sarah_Palin_Germany_3.jpg

Mike
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by Jed 1899
Bob (Isaac),
Bristoe,

And you sound like one in a herd of lemmings,..but you've got good company here.
Thanks!
Oh yeah, Obama just came back from Germany, too,...Oh, wait a minute he didn't go see the troops. I think I know enough about him to say I REALLY don't like him.
That's cool, she's at least has had a passport since then. I am proud of her going to Landsthul Army Med. Ctr. and meeting the wounded from Iraq and Afghan. If she's still there the Commander of Landsthul Med. Ctr. Col. Rhonda Cornum, was a POW during DS1, and is cut from the same cloth as Palin.
Originally Posted by sse
Oh yeah, Obama just came back from Germany, too,...Oh, wait a minute he didn't go see the troops. I think I know enough about him to say I REALLY don't like him.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The word on the street, is that when Obama recently went to Iraq & Afghan. He also didn't meet with the troops either. It opened some eyes as to selecting him as CinC.
Originally Posted by hunter1960
[quote=sse]Oh yeah, Obama just came back from Germany, too,...Oh, wait a minute he didn't go see the troops. I think I know enough about him to say I REALLY don't like him.

The word on the street, is that when Obama recently went to Iraq & Afghan. He also didn't meet with the troops either. It opened some eyes as to selecting him as CinC. [/quote

HE met with your troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan, his schedule got changed and he had to cancel a trip to a hospital in Germany.

THis doesn't really matter to me that much which candidate wins, but on Palin, 18 months ago she was the mayor of a town of 8500 people. I am a Senior Manager in a bank with about 2000 worldwide branches and really good at it, if our President dies I am totally unqualified to replace him.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
She took on the GOP and won. That is good enough for me.
She's got more going on, then that porch monkey SOB. If the Repub's can get control of the House & Senate, and with McCain & Palin driving the train. I think some good things are going to happen in the USA.
Posted By: muledeer Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Theodore Roosevelt had been governor of New York two years when he was picked to be McKinley's VP...

I think his presidency turned out pretty well...

The fact that you don't know how to run your company is as close to irrelevant to this race as Fauxbama's claim to being a Black American.

Dennis
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Bob (Isaac),
Bristoe,

He is...jorge
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by martinbns

THis doesn't really matter to me that much which candidate wins, but on Palin, 18 months ago she was the mayor of a town of 8500 people. I am a Senior Manager in a bank with about 2000 worldwide branches and really good at it, if our President dies I am totally unqualified to replace him.

Yes it does. It is CRYSTAL CLEAR where your preferences lie.

Besides that is totally a specious argument. Comparing a bank president to a governor is laughable. She is the Chief Executive of a State, albeit a small one population size, but a Chief Executive nevertheless. Obama's executive experience is ZERO as is Biden's come to think of it and Obama's only had about 173 sitting days in the Senate. Give me a break. I just love it when people try to veil their true predilections...jorge
Posted By: isaac Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Although I'm not certain as of yet, I believe I just heard on a news alert that Palin's 17 year old daughter is pregnant.

It will be interesting to see the spin placed upon this.
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....
his schedule got changed and he had to cancel a trip to a hospital in Germany.

Yeah, I think the cleaners didn't have his suit ready yet, or something like that. FYI, he could have done whatever the hell he wanted to, but made a decision not to do something that a real Commander in Chief, or any candidate of real patriotic character would have done. H*ll, even Hillary would have gone to see the wounded, even if only for show. His actions show what kind of person he really is.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
She's probably been overseas as much as Obama has, too.
Not sure about that. Obama did attend a madrassa in Indonesia as a youth, so he is much more knowledgebale about jihad, though from a decidedly slanted perspective.
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....

How about Muslim Democratic porch monkey yard jockey SOB, how's that better? Obammy must be your boy??
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by sse
Its just the veep spot anyway...She's probably been overseas as much as Obama has,

Actually,..she didn't even have a passport until very recently.

Bristoe, I call a big BS on that statement! As commander of the Alaska National Guard she chose to go to Kuwait and visit those troops stationed there. Ate with them, talked with them, spent time with them and is proud of them. Contrary to Hussein Obama who wouldn't shake hands in Afghanistan and wouldn't visit wounded troops in Germany.
Posted By: muledeer Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....

How about Muslim Democratic porch monkey SOB. Obammy must be your boy.

Fauxbama isn't even the kind of Black American you're vilifying. Snide racism may be your mode, but I find it offensive...not because I have any fondness for the candidate, but because it's just stupid, craven and wrong. You might be surprised how many people on this site you think of as "your kind of good ole boys" aren't as pure of race as persons of your ilk might associate with.

Despise Fauxbama for what he is and who he isn't -- not the accident of his genetic mix.

YMMV...

Dennis
[quote=sse]Oh yeah, Obama just came back from Germany, too,...Oh, wait a minute he didn't go see the troops. I think I know enough about him to say I REALLY don't like him.

The word on the street, is that when Obama recently went to Iraq & Afghan. He also didn't meet with the troops either. It opened some eyes as to selecting him as CinC. [/quote

HE met with your troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan, his schedule got changed and he had to cancel a trip to a hospital in Germany.

His schedule didn't "get" changed, he changed it and went shopping. Made the lame excuse that if he visited the wounded troops it would look political. Gosh, wonder what his speech to 200,000 [bleep] Germans was?? You obviously aren't qualified to be a commentator on our politics either.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Bob (Isaac),
Bristoe,

And you sound like one in a herd of lemmings,..but you've got good company here.

So is that how you would define yourself, one of the Paul lemmings?
Snide racism may be your mode, but I find it offensive...not because I have any fondness for the candidate, but because it's just stupid, craven and wrong.

This would be my take as well, with an emphasis on stupid. I could care less what the color of his skin is. He's just a weeny.

But, there is no question that most of Obama's black supporters jumped ship on Hillary because Obama is black. Just ask Oprah. She makes no bones about her choice being based on race. His candidacy is "historic".
Originally Posted by muledeer
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....

Fauxbama isn't even the kind of Black American you're vilifying. Snide racism may be your mode, but I find it offensive...not because I have any fondness for the candidate, but because it's just stupid, craven and wrong. You might be surprised how many people on this site you think of as "your kind of good ole boys" aren't as pure of race as persons of your ilk might associate with.

Despise Fauxbama for what he is and who he isn't -- not the accident of his genetic mix.

YMMV...

Dennis

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Whatever, he's a POS, he shows no respect for this country flag, it's Mil. personnel or anything else American. It hasn't even been established if he's an American yet.

The black basturd doesn't ever care about his fellow Black Americans as you refer to them, since many of our serving Mil is black and have given there lives and limbs serving this country.

Don't give me some damn lecture on racism or other BS. You being from Ak. how many blacks you got in your community, who aren't Mil. ?? How many are holding elected positions etc.?? Your state other then Native Americans, is probably as Aryan as any in the nation.
Posted By: RaceTire Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Dennis,
Great post. IMO if the Presidential campaign and the debate/discussion on the same stays focused on the issues everyone wins. Personal attacks are an indication of frustration and believe me I am a frustrated American regarding the performance of some of our elected officials and the way our federal government is performing but that is not a good reason to resort to "name calling".
I don't think it's any secret that there are a lot of Americans that think our federal government would benefit from "change" and it needs it so bad that there appear to be a lot of Americans that under the circumstances would have forced themselves to support the democratic ticket until now.
It appears to me from what watching and research has been done in the past few days that there is now another "change" option and Sarah Palin is the reason. When Bob Beckel was told on live TV that John McCain had selected Sarah Palin to be his running mate and asked for a comment he put his head in his hands and was speachless. That pretty much says it all.

Dave
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....

How about Muslim Democratic porch monkey yard jockey SOB, how's that better? Obammy must be your boy??

You don't have to be an Obama supporter to think that doesn't belong on the forum.....do you really want that cited as an example of firearms websites? I don't.

Obama deserves to lose because he's a leftist weenie of dubious loyalties, not because he's half black.
Oh it's about issues, that's true, but's also about race to a degree. How many black Repub's do you know? their a minority, among a minority, especially in this state. We have no black Repub. state house or senate members, what few black politicans there are, their from Dem. far West Tn. The blacks are going to vote for Obama, for the simple fact of putting a black man, in as POTUS and for no other reason.

It may be different in La. but it isn't here, it's cut right down the middle, white Repub's for McCain. Blacks and Dem's for Obama, with a few conservative Dem's voting Repub. but not claiming to.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Black republicans are rare here, as well. A few conservative black preachers, and a few lawyers who want to be federal judges.
Posted By: bcp Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/01/08
Interesting photos

Palin at Wainright
[Linked Image]

Palin in Kuwait

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=+site:gov.state.ak.us+%22sarah+palin%22+kuwait

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&&q=+site:www.ak-prepared.com+%22sarah+palin%22+kuwait

Palin in Germany

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=+site:www.ak-prepared.com+%22sarah+palin%22+germany

Geeze, if tha's all it takes to be CinC I could have been a [bleep] general. She's no more fit to run the military than bambam. At McCant's extended age that issue is a real posibility.
She'd be more like carter that ray-gun.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Besides that is totally a specious argument. Comparing a bank president to a governor is laughable. She is the Chief Executive of a State, albeit a small one population size, but a Chief Executive nevertheless. Obama's executive experience is ZERO as is Biden's come to think of it and Obama's only had about 173 sitting days in the Senate. Give me a break. I just love it when people try to veil their true predilections...jorge

Say it anyway you want, the experience argument is now mute, and truly I don't care which guy wins. Canada is now in control of our NAFTA realationship with the US because of our OIL, who the President is makes very little difference to us. Neither of them is prepared to do what the US economy actually needs, neither will deal with the debt/declining dollar issue. After the last 8 years, the idea that the Republicans are better for the economy is ludicrous.

What does irritate me is the infantile way you guys argue your points, she has been Governor of a tiny state for 1.5 years, prior to that mayor of a little town, that makes her qualified if something happens to the 72 year old guy. Obama has been a Senator for the same period but he isn't qualified.

FWIW, running the Bank I work for with operations in 53 different nations with over 60,000 employees and no bad mortage investments is far more complicated than running Alaska for a year and a half.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
After the last 8 years, the idea that the Republicans are better for the economy is ludicrous.

Just watch.
� the experience argument is now mute �

I wish it were!

Moot? Debatable.

Mute? Not now. Not soon.
Posted By: olhippie Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
....What qualifies a person for great leadership isn't so much to do with how many papers that have crossed thier desk, but the components of character, principal, judgement, and common sense they possess. Theodore Roosevelt , previously mentioned, was an excellent example. He was short on executive experience, in league with Obama or Palin, but proved to be a great leader as president, and accomplished great advancement and progress for America (Panama canal, dept. of the Interior, National park system, and much more). Teddy succeeded only the strength of his character , clarity of judgement, and respect for traditional American values without compromise. Sarah Palin has that same potential leadership quality in my opinion (remember Margret Thatcher?). I'm excited and very thankful to have a person of her character running for national office. It's been a long while since Ronald Reagan. Finally a REAL conservative, not a globalist masquerading as one, who'll further erode our soverignty, and cultural identity.
13 Years of executive experiance, in private sector and politics. The Gov of th largest state in the Union with one of the largest budgets. Personal integrety, and proven honesty.
Trumps 145 days in the senate, spending most of that camphaghing for the presidency, what ever time he was in the Il state gov voteing "present", rather than yes or no. Associatoions with known anti American people and other shady caricters.
Yes the choice is plain.

Mc Cain/Palin********* America FIRST!!!
He was short on executive experience, in league with Obama or Palin, but proved to be a great leader as president,

Can't agree with that at all.

Somebody correct me, assemblyman, governor, assistant secretary of the navy, then quit and joined the military, vice president.

The lack of experience thing is catching hold, they need to get the case made that she has more experience than Obama.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
He was short on executive experience, in league with Obama or Palin, but proved to be a great leader as president,

Somebody correct me, assemblyman, governor, assistant secretary of the navy, then quit and joined the military, vice president.

The lack of experience thing is catching hold, they need to get the case made that she has more experience than Obama.

Factually, historically, you're correct.

But you're now on a forum and in a country where a few hysterically focused biases daily, illogically obliterate facts by the jillion.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08

It is Obama's naivete,lack of toughness,and apologetic demeanor and attitude with regard to this country that I have a problem with. He is part of that Leftist cabral that wants the US to fall into lock step with the demands of most 3rd world punk dictators,and foreign interests who make the US the "bad boy"all the time.I was raised and educated among these morons,and am sick to the gills of them; the notion that this yoyo could be president is appalling to me.

I won't mention the fact that Obama has not accomplished a thing....he is a Marxist, pure and simple; and his wife is a spoiled black woman who is angry and hostile toward this country that gave her every priviledge and opportunity that she now enjoys.

Would you trust the future and security of this country to Obama?What a joke.....

I am not necessarily a McCain fan; but at least his running mate has some guts.
I agree, to hell with Biden's experience, give me anyone regardless of experience over him. At least with the unknown the country has a chance.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08

What does irritate me is the infantile way you guys argue your points, she has been Governor of a tiny state for 1.5 years, prior to that mayor of a little town, that makes her qualified if something happens to the 72 year old guy. Obama has been a Senator for the same period but he isn't qualified.

Martin:

I agree, Palin is not qualified to be president, but she certainly is qualified to be VP. And a couple of years of being VP is good experience to be president, if McCain were to die in office.

Obviously, we can't know for certain that McCain would live that long, but we can't be absolutely certain of anyone's life expectancy, can we?

It all comes down to risk assessment. Personally, I think the odds of McCain of having at least 2 healthy years as president are good enough to be quite acceptable.

I am comfortable with someone of Palin's experience being VP. I am not comfortable with someone of Obama's experience being the president.

FWIW, running the Bank I work for with operations in 53 different nations with over 60,000 employees and no bad mortage investments is far more complicated than running Alaska for a year and a half.

And you know this how?

- Tom

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08

Say it anyway you want, the experience argument is now mute, and truly I don't care which guy wins. Canada is now in control of our NAFTA realationship with the US because of our OIL, who the President is makes very little difference to us. Neither of them is prepared to do what the US economy actually needs, neither will deal with the debt/declining dollar issue. After the last 8 years, the idea that the Republicans are better for the economy is ludicrous.

This response is so outragous it's laughable. Republicans "running" the economy? Running a bank equates to a Governor of an American State? Give me a break. jorge
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Factually, historically, you're correct.

But you're now on a forum and in a country where a few hysterically focused biases daily, illogically obliterate facts by the jillion.
....I would point out that Teddy Roosevelt was indeed of similar executive experience, on a time line comparable to either Obama, or more exactingly the more extensive executive experience of Sarah Palin. Roosevelt was indeed secretary of the navy from April 1897 to May 1898 when he took command of troops which he trained for thier Cuban fighting. On January 1 1899 he took office as Governor of New York, and left that office on December 31, 1900. After these brief years of executive experience he was elected Vice president of the United States and subsequently ascended to the presidency when the president was assassinated in 1901..Roosevelt was undoubtedly one of our greatest presidents, but he did not have lengthy executive experience before becoming president.Mrs. Palin has held office as city councilman, two terms if what I've heard is correct, two terms as mayor of Wasilla AK (just north of Anchorage), and has been serving two years as AK governor, a similar executive experience timeline with Roosevelt. Obama can't claim equality on this score,but has a timeline in public office that may allow some claims.
You make a good argument. Why then when asked about Palin's inexperience didn't McCain make the case? Instead McCain conceded the fact, stating "thank God"..

I like Palin--but as I said when the intial rumors surfaced a month ago concerning Palin as a running mate, it would be a good choice for McCain, a bad career choice for Palin.

Not to mention the choice and timing of the VP announcement was so obviously directed towards a "shock value".

She could still do a lot more good in Alaska than DC.

But now, we will also have that "thorough vetting" of Palin.....and I'm betting the Campfire NeoCons that snickered at the vetting Obama has recieved, are going to scream bloody murder when it's turned on Palin....

...and it looks like the intial "vetting" is already bringing some surprises......

Casey

[quote=martinbns]

Being a big wheel in some bank and not being able to correctly spell "mortgage" qualifies you as one who can judge Sara Palin,huh? Being "on the job" isn't what counts; it's what you do while you are there that means something.

This response is so outragous it's laughable. Republicans "running" the economy? Running a bank equates to a Governor of an American State? Give me a break. jorge

Seems like everything is "the most stupid" or "outrageous" these days with you Jorge?......sheesh.

The reality is, I equate running a bank--or banks--with about the same significance as say, a general or admiral.......neither one is truely any more qualified than a whole lot of other life experiences.

Personally, I think a halfway smart guy pulled off the street--free from the special interest favors and Washington relationships--could do a better job than most of the "professional", "well qualified" politicians these days.....

Casey
Posted By: amax155 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Personally, I think a halfway smart guy pulled off the street--free from the special interest favors and Washington relationships--could do a better job than most of the "professinal", "well qualified" politicians these days.....

+1
Posted By: Tod Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
She's got more going on, then that porch monkey SOB.

Really classy.

Thanks for reinforcing many people's impression of what being a Republican is all about.
Posted By: Tod Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Originally Posted by bcp
Interesting photos

Palin at Wainright
[Linked Image]

That's a familiar pose:

[Linked Image]
You make a good argument. Why then when asked about Palin's inexperience didn't McCain make the case? Instead McCain conceded the fact, stating "thank God"..
...McCain acknowledged Mrs. Palin's limited executive experience because it is OBVIOUSLY SO. The point being made is that extensive executive experience, (as I've said) is not the critical criteria, rather character, principal, judgement ,and common sense are, what are the most important predictors of great leadership. I believe, from what I've gathered so far, that Sarah Palin seems flush with such virtue.
Good points, hopefully she will prove you right on a national level.
Originally Posted by Tod
She's got more going on, then that porch monkey SOB.

Really classy.

Thanks for reinforcing many people's impression of what being a Republican is all about.

I said it and i am not going to apologize, i don't play your PC BS. If one of the folks in the cool guy club here, would of said it, you'ld all be going, that's right, that's right.

That's my feelings toward him, not yours that's fine. I don't tell you or anyone else on here, what to say or think. I am not ashamed for saying it. You live your life in Montana, i'll live mine.

Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Yeah, Tod, except she really ripped off a burst from that Ma Deuce, if they let her. Little Mikey would run crying to his mama if he heard a .50 cal go off.

Sarah is about three times the man Dukakis was....but he's an apt spokesman for the blue team.....I figure Obama to nearly match his electoral performance.
Posted By: amax155 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Looks like Obama blew it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrbhYQLrqp0&feature=related
Posted By: DMB Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Sarah Palin has more managerial ability, and experience, than Obama and Biden added together. What managerial experience, pray tell, does a US Senator have? NONE. NONE.
The Governor of a State has more experience managing by a factor of a thousand than a Senator. Ge real.....
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
[quote=martinbns]

Being a big wheel in some bank and not being able to correctly spell "mortgage" qualifies you as one who can judge Sara Palin,huh? Being "on the job" isn't what counts; it's what you do while you are there that means something.

My bad.

Seriously, I have been involved in two different municipal governments, the first was a town of about 4,500 and the second 80,000, neither is very complicated. One slightly less complex than Wasilla and the other far more complex. Alaska is smaller than Saskatchewan, it's economy is almost entirely resource based, no manufacturing sector to speak of. To run the State of Alaska, the Governor needs a relationship with the Oil Companies and Washington. Not terribly complex either, no where near as complicated as running a large fortune 500 company that operates all over the world.

If it makes you guys more comfortable, I will change my analogy. Jorge is a Navy pilot and I'm sure a top notch one, I think I remember him being a commander of a aircraft carrier fighter wing, but I could be wrong. If the Commander of the Joint Cheif of staff died, would Jorge be the appropriate replacement or would the President whomever he or she might be name someone with more experience as a General or Admiral.

Sorry to Jorge if I have your rank wrong.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....

YMMV...

Dennis

Whatever, he's a POS, he shows no respect for this country flag, it's \

Did anyone watch the national anthem last night at the Nascar race.
Dale Earnhart Jrs crew all lined up with their hands across their hearts, Jr. stood there like a post with his hands crossed at his waist
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

Sarah is about three times the man Dukakis was....but he's an apt spokesman for the blue team.....I figure Obama to nearly match his electoral performance.

You really that confident?
Posted By: Jed 1899 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Will be a landslide.
Jr. was wrong for that, he knows better. Hopefully it was brought to his attention, and he won't do it again.
I get it!

Eighty-pound freshman will make a good star varsity quarterback,
but
150-pound sophomore is too light to sit on the bench!

(Uh, mmmmmmmmmmm �

No, I guess I don't get it.)
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Seems like everything is "the most stupid" or "outrageous" these days with you Jorge?......sheesh.

The reality is, I equate running a bank--or banks--with about the same significance as say, a general or admiral.......neither one is truely any more qualified than a whole lot of other life experiences.

Personally, I think a halfway smart guy pulled off the street--free from the special interest favors and Washington relationships--could do a better job than most of the "professional", "well qualified" politicians these days.....

Casey

Well based on you equating a bank president to a General or Flag officer, that certainly meets the criteria stated by you above. Pretty stupid actually and outrageous. jorge
When McCain campaign advisers warned Sarah Palin that she was going to be attacked, she asked them, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?"

Of course, they didn't know. She said, "Lipstick."

True. That's right, ma'm. NO FEAR!

Steve
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Just goes to show she's totally clueless.........................
Posted By: isaac Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Some folks sure are!
Bob this ain't no made for TV movie. Running the country is no place for someone to learn on the fly. If that's the best ya repubic-cans can do ya deserve to loose.
You haven't given her a chance yet.

Male chauvinism doesn't make for sound logic,Mag.
Whats her qualifications concerning foriegn policy? What about economics, military affairs? Oh I know, she has a set of brass testicles because she took on "big oil".........................
Originally Posted by isaac
You haven't given her a chance yet.

Male chauvinism doesn't make for sound logic,Mag.

Nor does it seem to really want change.

Barack O'bama is status quo partisanship masquerading as change. Sarah Palin takes his mask off.

Steve
And just what does Obama offer inthose same areas AJ? The answer is less exedcutive experience than Gov Palin who governed a state closer to Russia than you are to Lansing.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Bob this ain't no made for TV movie. Running the country is no place for someone to learn on the fly. If that's the best ya repubic-cans can do ya deserve to loose.

And Obama's more qualified? Are you serious???jorge
You mean compared to Obama's qualifications?

She governed a state and reduced it's deficit by over 114 million dollars.Further, she just didn't take on big oil. She took on her own party and other special lobbying interests.

So far, I believe she's beyond reproach.

If her kid having a baby she's going to keep and then marry the father is all the dem minion's have on her...I'll live with it.

How about Biden's 5 deferrments?

What about Obama's 140 business days in the Seanate compared to Palin's near 2 years as a Governor?? He's never done anything politically "Executive" ever! McCain,Biden or Obama haven't either, for that matter.

If it was a male governor from Alakska with her credentials, I somehow think you'd be doing the happy dance!
Never said bam-bam is more qualified. I would liked to have seen McCain pick someone who's experience level matches his. Leave the rookie on the bench.

Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
I`m sure someone mentioned this before...but one is running for President, the other for VP. To me, a huge difference in job discription, and therefor experience counts...as the President. Putting McCaine in the ground is a bit premature.
Originally Posted by Planemech
� a state closer to Russia than you are to Lansing.

IIRC, about four miles from Little Diomede Island (Alaska) to Big Diomede Island (Russia).

I used to buy ivory, etc, from Big Diomeders. Didn't have to deal with Russian bombers flying over us Alaskans � as I assume that Governor Palin may have to do.

So, FWIW, there's at least the possibility that as governor she has had to consider at some level both economic and military confrontations with Russia. However slight or infrequent that experience may be, it's that much more than she'd get as a community-organizer in Chicago, a state senator in Springfield, or a US senator in DC � or all three.
I'm looking at Sarah and her value as VP irregardless of any of the demon-crap pukes.

Bob my plant manager is a female, the dayshift supervisor I have to answer to is a black female. I don't have any problem working for/with anyone who is qualified for the job. As far as the supervisor goes I'll cover her aze to the end of the earth.................................
I used to buy ivory, etc, from Big Diomeders. Didn't have to deal with Russian bombers flying over us Alaskans � as I assume that Governor Palin may have to do.

The U.S. Airforce not the "alaskan airforce" that stand guard over Alaskan airspace. Doubt if they even wake her up to inform her of an overflight. wink
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
� one is running for President, the other for VP. To me, a huge difference in job discription �

As some ol' fool has already said,

"I get it!

"Eighty-pound freshman will make a good star varsity quarterback,
"but
"150-pound sophomore is too light to sit on the bench!

"(Uh, mmmmmmmmmmm �

"No, I guess I don't get it.)"
Never said bam-bam is more qualified. I would liked to have seen McCain pick someone who's experience level matches his. Leave the rookie on the bench.

So, I take you to mean that the rookie O'bama should stay on the sidelines, while the seasoned veteran McCain gets the starting roll. Better yet, let's not sign O'bama and let's give the back-up spot to the lady with more experience, more depth, and is more in tune with the country.

No, it's not a perfect scenario, but given our choices I'm glad you see using the available players the same way I do.

Steve

The U.S. Airforce not the "alaskan airforce" that stand guard over Alaskan airspace. Doubt if they even wake her up to inform her of an overflight. wink

Cute "answer" � does that mean that the governor of Alaska never has to be concerned about "just in case" or "what if?" preparations for the possibility of Russian nastiness in Alaska? The US Air Force [sic] may not have to wake her up.
porch monkey SOB
Dude not cool....

YMMV...

Dennis

Whatever, he's a POS, he shows no respect for this country flag, it's Mil. personnel or anything else American. It hasn't even been established if he's an American yet.

The black basturd doesn't ever care about his fellow Black Americans as you refer to them, since many of our serving Mil is black and have given there lives and limbs serving this country.

Don't give me some damn lecture on racism or other BS. You being from Ak. how many blacks you got in your community, who aren't Mil. ?? How many are holding elected positions etc.?? Your state other then Native Americans, is probably as Aryan as any in the nation.
Aryan's huh?? Your clueless and a racist. You ever been to Alaska?? If you had you would't have made that stupid comment.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
how many blacks you got in your community, who aren't Mil. ?? How many are holding elected positions etc.?? Your state other then Native Americans, is probably as Aryan as any in the nation.
Aryan's huh?? Your clueless and a racist. You ever been to Alaska?? If you had you would't have made that stupid comment.

Actually, all it takes is a short visit to Anchorage to learn that Alaska probably has as much diversity as any state, maybe more. You could say that Alaska is microcosm of the United States, only with a more strong-willed spirit.

Steve
Thing that bugs me the most is that even if McCain wins the demon-craps will still have the majority in congress effectivly making McCain a lame duck. Is Sarah the one we REALLY need to go to congress and garner favorable votes? From what I've read she seems to be a control freak/my way or the highway type. That's not gonna work well with the DC establishment.
Originally Posted by olhippie
....What qualifies a person for great leadership isn't so much to do with how many papers that have crossed thier desk, but the components of character, principal, judgement, and common sense they possess. Theodore Roosevelt , previously mentioned, was an excellent example. He was short on executive experience, in league with Obama or Palin, but proved to be a great leader as president, and accomplished great advancement and progress for America (Panama canal, dept. of the Interior, National park system, and much more). Teddy succeeded only the strength of his character , clarity of judgement, and respect for traditional American values without compromise. Sarah Palin has that same potential leadership quality in my opinion (remember Margret Thatcher?). I'm excited and very thankful to have a person of her character running for national office. It's been a long while since Ronald Reagan. Finally a REAL conservative, not a globalist masquerading as one, who'll further erode our soverignty, and cultural identity.

+1
Thats the thing AJ, we have to be proactive for the Senate and House elections too, it ain't all about the presidential race. I won't lie, i'm impressed with what I have read of Palin, she has more moxie and experience in her little toe than Obama has in his whole body. And make no bones about it, she took on the state Repub party, that is no little trick in Alaska, ya wanna talk about Good Ol Boys, that takes boobs of steel. Les
� Aryan's huh?? Your clueless and a racist. You ever been to Alaska?? If you had you would't have made that stupid comment.

I surmised that Aryan would be a suitable word for entry into the Dictionary of Racial Language because of its racial implications stemming from World War II and Nazism. What I discovered through my research is that the origin of Aryan did not begin with Hitler, Nazism or even relate to the Nordics, as I originally thought. Instead, what I discovered is that Aryan, as its� definition will demonstrate, is the antithesis of Hitler�s so called perfect race.

"It is one of the ironies of history that Aryan, a word nowadays referring to the blond-haired, blue-eyed physical ideal of Nazi Germany, originally referred to a people who looked vastly different. Its history starts with the ancient Indo-Iranians, Indo-European peoples who inhabited parts of what are now Iran, Afghanistan, and India" (American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.)

From the American Heritage Dictionary�Fourth Edition:

Aryan�A member of the people who spoke the parent language of the Indo-European languages.

Of course this definition is very broad and not well described but the Oxford English Dictionary gives a much more in-depth definition along with a very useful etymology.

There are various ways of spelling Aryan from the numerous languages that encompass Aryan. Of those spellings the most repetitive were Arian (plural�Arianes or Aryas.)

1601�Holland�s Pliny�The region of the Arianes, all scorched and senged with the parching heate of the Sunne. (Given the latitude of the region described it would be physically impossible for this region to be Scandinavian/Nordic.)

1794�Sir W. Jones� Ordin�All those tribes of men, who sprang from the mouth, the arm, the thigh and the foot of Brahma (Hinduism, the creator God�chief member if the triad also including Vishnu and Shiva) but who became outcasts by having neglected their duties are called Dasyus, or plunderers, whether they speak the language of the Mlechch�has or that of the Aryas.

1839�Based on historical evidence, ancient Indian and Iranian members of families called themselves Aryan. Applied to the family of languages, which include Sanskrit (ancient Indic language that is the language of Hinduism and the classical language of India), Zend, Persian, Greek, Latin, Celtic, Teutonic and Slavonic. Used prominently to distinguish Aryan languages from non-Aryan languages of India.

1851�In an idea current in the 19th century of an Aryan race corresponding to a definite Aryan language was taken up by nationalistic historical and romantic writers. Aryan was given significant importance by de Gobineau who linked it with the theory of the essential inferiority of certain races.

1878�That all the other Aryan vernaculars are variants of Hindi, caused by the influence of non-Aryan communities. Modern Languages E. Indies�The Aryans advanced down the basins of the Indus (river of South Central Asia flowing through North India and Pakistan to the Arabian Sea. Its valley was the site of a civilization from 2500-1500 B.C.) and the Ganges (river of North India and Bangladesh flowing to the Bay of Bengal).

1911�H.S. Chamberlain�s Foundations 19th Century�Anthropologists, ethnographers and even historians, theologians, philologists and legal authorities find the idea "Aryan" more and more unavoidable�though it were proved that there never was an Aryan race in the past, yet we desire in the future that there may be one.

1916�Madison Grant�s Passing of a Great Race�The name �Aryan race� must also be frankly discarded as a term of racial significance.

1939�J.S. Huxley�s �Race� in Europe�Biologically it is almost against the law to speak of a "Jewish race" as of an "Aryan race."

1932�In Nazism and neo-Nazism, a non-Jewish Caucasian, especially one of Nordic type, supposed to be part of a master race. Reintroduced under the Nazi regime (1933-1945) applied to inhabitants of Germany of non-Jewish extraction.

1933�W. Norman Brown�s The Swastika�A study of the nazi claims of its Aryan Origin. Hitler�s Mein Kampf�describes the exact opposite of Aryan as a Jew.

1940�War Illustrator�The Founder of the Christian faith was of Aryan not Jewish descent.

With this background information and usage of the word Aryan, seen as early as 1601, it is difficult to see the understanding of the word Aryan in the propaganda spewed by Hitler and his Nazi party. Rather, it is quite humorous that such a so-called brilliant orator could not recognize such a critical part of the definition of the very word he used to describe a perfect race. Although Aryan was regionalized, by its first definition, Hitler decidedly must have settled upon the 1851 definition, which equates Aryan with the inferiority of certain races.

How Hitler redefined Aryan to mean a race consisting of the Nordic people as perfect, can never be known, but the implications of the word Aryan include the irony that its meaning has been distorted and an example of how language can be twisted to mean something for which it was not intended.
(Professor Kim Pearson, The College of New Jersey)
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
how many blacks you got in your community, who aren't Mil. ?? How many are holding elected positions etc.?? Your state other then Native Americans, is probably as Aryan as any in the nation.

Actually, all it takes is a short visit to Anchorage to learn that Alaska probably has as much diversity as any state, maybe more. You could say that Alaska is microcosm of the United States, only with a more strong-willed spirit.

Steve

I've been to Ak. If you did a census, the majority of blacks are military or had been military. The Pop. of Anchorage is what about 300.000 the black percentage is probably less then 5%, i'll bet you it isn't 25%. I know towns in this state that the black Pop. is closer to 40%.
Durring the cold war we knew full well that the 3 SAC bases in Michigan were targeted by the Russians. Geeze we had daily overflights by russian satellites. Yes Alaskans would be concerned over the russian threat, but so would many others with your "what if" scenario.
We have these Russian flyovers more often you know, a simple escort by our F-22's or F-15 Strike Eagles sends them packing back to Russia.
Posted By: n007 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
She only has to be smart enough to surround herself with and listen to a bunch of smart people.
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Steve

I've been to Ak. If you did a census, the majority of blacks are military or had been military. The Pop. of Anchorage is what about 300.000 the black percentage is probably less then 5%, i'll bet you it isn't 25%. I know towns in this state that the black Pop. is closer to 40%.

So, your definition of "diverse" is having lots of blacks? If you're just looking at blacks, look again. Alaska's population may not be dominated by blacks, but it includes native Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Scandinavian, Hispanic, and lots more. I haven't looked up the percentage, but they're all noticeable when you hit the ground.

Seems to me that equating diversity with a big black population is an anti-diverse point-of-view -- especially when skin color has nothing to do with real diversity.

Steve
Like we've never returned the favor. grin

I spent 5 years in SAC, have a real good idea why the RC-135's were stationed in Alaska. wink
Posted By: bcp Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

So, FWIW, there's at least the possibility that as governor she has had to consider at some level both economic and military confrontations with Russia. However slight or infrequent that experience may be, it's that much more than she'd get as a community-organizer in Chicago, a state senator in Springfield, or a US senator in DC � or all three.

Economic
http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?S=8637916

Vladivostok Air landed at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport Monday morning for the first weekly charter flight in a series scheduled this month and next.

Alaskans who do business in Russia say the direct flights will be a benefit

----------

Military
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Air_National_Guard

"One recent development involving the Alaska Air National Guard has been interception of Russian flights that intrude into U.S. territory. According to the website for the 176th Wing of the Alaska Air National Guard, "The 176th Air Control Squadron maintained North American air sovereignty by detecting, monitoring and escorting 22 Russian bombers from within its area of operations."

http://www.ak-prepared.com/dmva/akang.htm
The U.S. Senate is poor experience for the presidency. None of our best presidents had the senate as their sole political experience. Any decision making a senator does is done at a very leisurely pace. Making speaches that no one listens to and soliciting campaign money make up the bulk of most senator's activities. Any governor is a workhorse compared to senatorial peacock. I consider John McCains twenty+ years as a naval officer to be more important than his senate time.
Posted By: Teeder Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08

+1
That was a great post!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Double post.
Originally Posted by Teeder
+1
That was a great post!

Yep.
I'll take a military hero with a 21st century Teddy Roosevelt, over two senatorial bloviators, any day.

Steve
Listen to her speech on Thursday evening, Mag, and then tell me what you think.

For such a fresh face, I believe her speech will be extraordinary and she'll blow the verteran speech boys away.
Posted By: g5m Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Like we've never returned the favor. grin

I spent 5 years in SAC, have a real good idea why the RC-135's were stationed in Alaska. wink

WHAT? You mean WE DID THAT, too?

Say it ain't so!
I guess my second comparison fell on deaf ears.
Originally Posted by husqvarna
The U.S. Senate is poor experience for the presidency. None of our best presidents had the senate as their sole political experience. Any decision making a senator does is done at a very leisurely pace. Making speaches that no one listens to and soliciting campaign money make up the bulk of most senator's activities. Any governor is a workhorse compared to senatorial peacock. I consider John McCains twenty+ years as a naval officer to be more important than his senate time.

Spot on...jorge

I think folks are spending a little too much time worrying about "executive" experience.

I've met some some successful executives that had a lot of natural talent as leaders and politicians within their fields.

I've met some successful executives that had virtually none, and none was required for them to perform their jobs.

It really depends on how the executive's job is structured - NOT whether he's an executive or not.

The phrase "executive experience" is utterly misleading.

McCain thinks Palin can lead. He also thinks that people will follow her.

You don't learn that. You're born with it. Or you aren't.

- Tom
Posted By: Pugs Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08

Of course you may admit that those USAF F-15C's don't go far without the AK Guard 168th KC-135's whistle
In my own skeptical view, a politician who is the Republican party's nominee for President of the United States, Senator John McCain, chose another politician, Governor Sarah Palin, to run for Vice-President of the United States, because of political considerations. First, Governor Palin's espoused personal values, her political utterances and her executive actions have a good chance of inspiring enthusiasm in the "social conservative" base of the Republican party. Second, with this choice, Senator McCain buys a future President McCain a lot of life insurance!

There is recent precedent for Senator McCain's action: former President George Herbert Walker Bush's choice of Senator Dan Quayle as his Vice-President in 1988.

I hope that I'm wrong on this one, but today I have extreme difficulty believing that any politician ever considers anything except immediate political advantage whenever he or she decides to say or to do anything.
Whats her qualifications concerning foriegn policy? What about economics, military affairs? Oh I know, she has a set of brass testicles because she took on "big oil".........................

The experiance of the Vice President on foriegn policy is an issue that over rated.

The sitting president will choose cabnet appointments that will gather and quantify the information and plan stratagey giving him options under advisment.

Once that team is assembled it will reflect the leanings of the sitting President.

Should anything happen to McCain, the VP will have all the help he/she needs to carry out foreign policy.

If all else fails one needs only ask the experts here on this board.

GB

If Truman could handle WWII, Palin can handle whatever is likely to come her way.

- Tom
A pilot married to a pilot, with a pilot as second in command!

Gotta be some kind of a good omen.

I wonder � how many of the three are also shooters?

How close to perfection should we expect 'em to be?
Allen you know those planes are Airforce assets. They don't answer to the governor unless she would declare a state of emergency, and then only to be used for the emergency situation. The everyday operations don't flow through the governor's office, she wouldn't be consulted prior to scrambling the alert birds.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/02/08
Allen you know those planes are Airforce assets. They don't answer to the governor unless she would declare a state of emergency, and then only to be used for the emergency situation. The everyday operations don't flow through the governor's office, she wouldn't be consulted prior to scrambling the alert birds.

It was a joke friend. FWIW I also don't consider a VP exactly on the operational chain of command either.
grin
Interception and resistance aren't the only considerations involved in the regular, calculated intrusion of military mat�riel from a hostile or quasi-hostile nation.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
They might be USAF assets but when an "unknown rider" penetrates the ADIZ, it is Air National Guard assets that responded. After 9/11 USACOM has more postitive control, but ADIZ intercepts, particularly during the good old days of the Cold War, were primarly conducted by Air Guard and not USAF. That's not to say the AF or for tht matter Navy assets didn't, but nevertheless, the Governor does control them. Obama doesn't know an F-15 from a hole in the ground. jorge
Posted By: djs Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
Is this the same Sara Palin who (in the '90's) was a member of the ALaska Indenpendence Party? If the following story is correct and she ever advocated Alaskan secession from the US, she is not worthy of becomming VP.

See: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4407224.shtml

Originally Posted by djs
Is this the same Sara Palin who (in the '90's) was a member of the ALaska Indenpendence Party? If the following story is correct and she ever advocated Alaskan secession from the US, she is not worthy of becomming VP.

See: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4407224.shtml

And a Sol Olinsky Marxist who associates with known terrorists, and American hating racists and zero excecutive experience is???

You demcraps crack me up. jorge
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
You guys aren't doing yourselves any favors by stating she better qualified than, has better credentials than..............

I couldn't give a flyin [bleep] how she stacks up against the demo-craps, that [bleep] is nothing more than a lame excuse to cover the fact that she's inexperienced in her own right.

I WANT TO KNOW WHY I SHOULD CONSIDER VOTING HER FOR THE VP'S POSITION ON HER OWN MERITS!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
I WANT TO KNOW WHY I SHOULD CONSIDER VOTING HER FOR THE VP'S POSITION ON HER OWN MERITS!!!!!!!!!

Let me know when or how you intend to split your VP vote from your presidential vote. Palin could have been mayor of South Wasilla and I'd still vote the McCain/Palin ticket before the Obama/Biden.

Should she be forced to step up she will have a very good staff to depend on including, I hope, Romney as Treasury or other significant post that will leverage his commercial experience.

So, AJ you get to vote for the (1) McCain led ticket or the (2) Obama led ticket or you could just stay home which is a defacto vote for #2.

Well, do you feel lucky? (Sorry, Magnum Force was just on TV grin )
Originally Posted by Pugs

Let me know when or how you intend to split your VP vote from your presidential vote. Palin could have been mayor of South Wasilla and I'd still vote the McCain/Palin ticket before the Obama/Biden.

Should she be forced to step up she will have a very good staff to depend on including, I hope, Romney as Treasury or other significant post that will leverage his commercial experience.

So, AJ you get to vote for the (1) McCain led ticket or the (2) Obama led ticket or you could just stay home which is a defacto vote for #2.

Well, do you feel lucky? (Sorry, Magnum Force was just on TV grin )

Good CIVICS lesson Pugs, maybe it'll sink in. bets? jorge
Y'all ought to get jobs as comedians. wink

If I vote for McCain it's cause I'm voting against bamma. If McCain's gonna bring a light-weight along for the ride I might as well stay home. What you two may not realize my choices are voting for my lifestyle or voting for my livelihood. A vote for McCain allows me to keep my guns and continue hunting. There's a good chance my job, along with my pension and benifits that I've work for 25 years to accure could be out the door.

Then again I really don't trust bamma to live up to his kiss and a promise he's been delivering either.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08

If I vote for McCain it's cause I'm voting against bamma. If McCain's gonna bring a light-weight along for the ride I might as well stay home. What you two may not realize my choices are voting for my lifestyle or voting for my livelihood. A vote for McCain allows me to keep my guns and continue hunting. There's a good chance my job, along with my pension and benifits that I've work for 25 years to accure could be out the door.

Then again I really don't trust bamma to live up to his kiss and a promise he's been delivering either.

Why don't you wait and hear the candidate out? Hear her speeches, watch her debate "angry Joe". Why have you formed an opinion on her already, because the Dems and the press say so?
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08

The only important thing is that McCain beats Obama.

If choosing a woman VP who isn't qualified to be president will help him become president by capturing some undecided Hillary-leaning women voters from middle-America, it's a smart, smart move.

Especially if it also coaxes some whining, self-pitying self-described social conservatives into getting off their asses on election day and going to the poll.

- Tom

angry Joe

Angry..............nah. That would be a waste of energy. Need to save it for plan "B". wink

She's gonna have to prove herself by her actions, not by blowing smoke up my aze like most other polititions.
Sarah Palin is not Obama and she is not a Democrat are two good reasons. Keeping Obama out of Office should be enough reason to vote for her and McCain. Your thinking is as bad as your spelling.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
What you two may not realize my choices are voting for my lifestyle or voting for my livelihood. A vote for McCain allows me to keep my guns and continue hunting. There's a good chance my job, along with my pension and benifits that I've work for 25 years to accure could be out the door.

I'm not sure I understand. You think that the McCain/Palin team will destroy the auto industry or will they destroy the Union or will they simply make your benefits go away or they will move GM to Mexico or what?

So, you're going to stick with the "Union" politically correct choice of Obama (or not vote for McCain, same thing) Instead of voting for a ticket with where one of the team is a Union member (Sara is a former union member and her husband is a current member of the Steelworkers).

I think I would look for a more Pro-labor empathy and action from the Republicans here vice the two lawyer (three if you count Obama's wife) party on the Democrat side that, as near as I can tell, have never turned a wrench. I would suggest less time for you on teamster.net for more clear thinking on this issue.
Posted By: isaac Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
Tag Mag, you're it!!
Posted By: Teeder Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
+1, Pugs!

So, you are voting your personal interests ahead of your country. That's fine, but even in that regard you couldn't be more wrong. It is the PRIVATE SECTOR and not the gov't that will ensure your economic well-being. jorge
i install flooring for a liveing and since mon i have asked 11 women that i have done work for what they thought about palin. three where dem that said they would vote for mccain now six had not planed on voteing but will now becauce of how bad palin is getting smeared by the msm and left and the other two where republicans that did'nt care for mccain but would vote for him now. i think this smear campain is going to back fire on the left big time.
Jorge1----CDR stop holding it back, tell it like it is. How you been doing? get orders yet??--MCPO GRPC
Originally Posted by superhornet
Jorge1----CDR stop holding it back, tell it like it is. How you been doing? get orders yet??--MCPO GRPC

Howdy Master Chief! Been doing ok, I've managed to visit the range last week. Retirement set for 1 Dec. 30 years... smile jorge
Posted By: isaac Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
And an Isaac, biggest boar, ass-whoopin very soon thereafter!!

Gonna be a pleasure meeting one of the good guys!!

Let me see if i'm reading this right. Your more worried about Palin being VP than Obama being POTUS? Palin has MORE experience running Alaska than Obama has experience in the senate, thats been proven already yet your more worried about McCain's running mate. That makes no [bleep] sense at all but it's your vote so go ahead and waste it by not voting or voting for Obama, he's going to lose anyhow.
Paraphrased from something I only half-heard on Rush today:

Q: What's the difference between Sarah Palin and a pitbull?

A: Lipstick.

You wait 'till she turns loose tonight and in any debate/interview. If her unscripted and unrehearsed comments the other day are any clue, she's gonna kick azz and not bother to take names.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
From the song that probably inspired her nickname:

You lying so low in the weeds
I bet you gonna ambush me
You'd have me down, down, down, down on my knees
Now wouldn't you?
Barracuda

With thanks to writers A. Wilson, N. Wilson, R. Fischer and M. Derosier
Originally Posted by djs

And a Sol Olinsky Marxist who associates with known terrorists, and American hating racists and zero excecutive experience is???

You demcraps crack me up. jorge

And further, this whole Alaska Independence party nonsense has been debunked by multiple sources today. You know Jim, if you maybe stop getting your democrap talking points from CBS and the daily Kos, you might get something rightonce in a while. But be honest, you voting for Obama? jorge
I've heard/read the AIP story in/on local news and have no reason to doubt the veracity of it.

However, that only serves to strengthen her outsider, question-the-status-quo, reformer qualifications.

The concept of Alaska becoming a separate nation has been endorsed by MANY residents at one time or another. It's a common and popular sentiment in the USA's northern-most colony.
It was just debunked by three souces. CNN, McCain Campaign & Fox. jorge
interesting...
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/03/08
This here little d-bate don't have ta go on for pages & pages , it is all real simple.

98.75% of black people are gonna vote Bam-A-Biden 'cause they THINK Bammy is black.

I am gonna vote McCain-Palin 'cause I KNOW Palin is HOT !!!

gringringrin

Mike
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Commentary On Sarah Palin - 09/04/08
Some of you boys are so easily amused. grin

If there an age limit for someone applying for a job with the Secret Service? Executive protection for the VP sounds like a challenge I could dig.
© 24hourcampfire