Home
Posted By: Spotshooter Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
So where is the old boy at these days?
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
thought he was dead.
Posted By: Dan_Chamberlain Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
He's rich, shooting and out of the spotlight.

Dan
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
I guess he gets 3% on every WSM rifle, and no rifle mag's will touch him due to the makers being pissed.

I always liked his writtings
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
When I was much more involved in reloading in the early to late 80's Rick was a good writer for Shooting Times, the only magazine I read. But when he and Kenny J teamed up, or so it seemed to me, for the 7mm STW I felt he was tooting his horn more than I cared for.

If I recall correclty I also noticed something I have always disliked with new gun reports, namely if the gun shot sub 2" groups it was the new Phenom, and everyone should go get one. Guess that is the fine line writers must take to keep getting guns to review before everyone else reviews the same guns.

I suspect Rick had the same deal with the STW series?

Allen
Posted By: mike762 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Go over to the "ask the gunwriters" forum, and search Rick Jamison. There's probably 10,000 words over there about this whole issue of the patent, and what he's doing now.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
I had a guy come into my store last Friday that looked just like him. Up until than I hadn't thought about him for a long time, but also enjoyed reading his articles.

I got to thinking about some of the old back issues of shooting and went down to my folks' this weekend to see what I could find only to find out she (my mom) threw them all away a couple of years ago. frown
Posted By: MColeman Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by hemiallen
But when he and Kenny J teamed up, or so it seemed to me, for the 7mm STW I felt he was tooting his horn more than I cared for.

Allen

Unless I'm badly mistaken it was Layne Simpson who came up with the 7STW. I do know it was Layne Simpson that sounded like Kenny J's press agent for years.
Posted By: mike762 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by cal74
and went down to my folks' this weekend to see what I could find only to find out she (my mom) threw them all away a couple of years ago. frown

Ain't that something how they always do that? My mom threw out all of my baseball cards from when I was a kid in the 60's, including the autographed ones from Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and the entire '65 Yankees team. Oh well, who knew?
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Layne Simpson developed the 7mmSTW .257 STW. and the 358 Shooting Times Alaskan.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Yup. Layne did the STWs and Rick did all the short magnum work, hence the Winchester lawsuit and setlement. Always liked his research methods and articles.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Sorry

Must be my 50 yr old memory...

Thanks for clearing that up.

Allen
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by MColeman
I do know it was Layne Simpson that sounded like Kenny J's press agent for years.

Yeah, I'd read those adoring tongue-bath stories Layne wrote about KJ and always wonder how many freebies he had sitting in his gun safe, or free work on his various projects.

Not that the man can't build rifles, but it got embarrassing after a while.
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Layme Simpleton is a royal douche bag.. I just wanna puke everytime I see his picture!
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
And I have to laugh every time I hear someone complaining about how their mommy threw something out that they left there years ago. Buck up.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
My mother had what she considered good reason � semi-invalid, not wealthy, moving from state to state a lot when Dad got appointed to different circuits. I don't blame her, but I sure do miss some of those boyhood treasures. Recently paid over fifty bucks to replace a rare book that in the 1940s cost less than a buck.

Now a buddy's wife � when he and she come here to help The Old Fossil keep a neat house � has a wife's notion of what to throw out and what to let me keep.

�'est la femme.

Eternal vigilance is the price of keeping treasured junque.
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
When I was much more involved in reloading in the early to late 80's Rick was a good writer for Shooting Times, the only magazine I read.

I was a long time subscriber to ST starting back in the early 90's to approx 2001. Back in those days, I read them cover to cover. I'm a natural packrat so I still have all those issues stored in boxes. I always thought Rick did a fine job on his reloading column, and for that reason I still refer back to many of the issues.

Speaking of books...
I hate I never got around to buying Rick's coyote calling book back when the getting was good. They are darn hard to find now, and are never cheap when they do turn up.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Always thought the price of liberty was eternal vigilance.

Simpson also developed the 7mm STE. He is VERY impressed with himself. Layne really digs Layne.......
Did the STA as well, if memory serves.
Posted By: deflave Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by biglmbass

Speaking of books...
I hate I never got around to buying Rick's coyote calling book back when the getting was good. They are darn hard to find now, and are never cheap when they do turn up.

Was this specifically a coyote calling book? My brother has an old book by Rick that is all about trapping. It's damn good too. He found it at a garage sale. I've never seen one since.

Travis
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Always thought the price of liberty was eternal vigilance. �

Ever hear of the technique called "a play on words?"
Originally Posted by deflave

Speaking of books...

Was this specifically a coyote calling book?

The one I'm referring to is Calling Coyotes And Other Predators.
Posted By: JPro Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
I really enjoyed his hit, "Superfreak". Didn't know he was a coyote hunter.
Posted By: SakoSteve270wsm Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Originally Posted by JPro

laugh
Originally Posted by JPro

If you liked Superfreak, you'll really love Below The Funk (Pass The J) and So Soft So Wet. Great tunes, but they never really hit big.
Posted By: Daverageguy Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
I kinda feel sorry for RJ.He always struck me through his writings as a man who enjoyed the research side of riflery(if that's a word) Sure he got paid,but look at the personal price he paid he KNEW he would never write another article knew he would never be welcomed at ANY firearms maker kinda sad.
Posted By: KDK Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/02/09
Yeah, I feel sorry for a guy who now has to just sit at home and shoot all day, and not worry about pleasing his editor. I bet counting all the royalties off the WSMs, SAUMs, and RCMs sold is a drag, too.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09

So your jealous !!! LOL...

Give the guy a break, he made some money so he's a bad guy.

what baloney.

He seemed like a good guy, I never met him, but I think it would be interesting to meet him.

Spot
Posted By: Teal Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I don't think the beef with Rick is the money but how and why.
Originally Posted by teal
I don't think the beef with Rick is the money but how and why.

Yup.

He took someone else's idea (it was called the He-Mag or something along those lines),tried to sell it,he himself got screwed (which is funny),then he threw a tantrum and won an ass load of money in a lawsuit.

And the guy who came up with the idea to start with didn't end up with a dime.He tried to market the line of cartridges back in the early to mid 90's,and nobody was interested.IIRC it was either Layne Simpson or Craig Bottington who did a story on the cartridges,and that's where Jamison came up with the idea to put a patent on them,since the guy trying to sell them hadn't done so yet.

WB.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
� or the word paraphrase?
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I dated a girl in law school who really dug Rick James, but she was a true superfreak, so it fit.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I'm Rick Jamison bitch!

Ron
There are obviously two famous Rick Jamisons.

When I first knew the gun writer Rick Jamison (1978 � ), he was a raggedy-pants neighbor who made his living calling coyotes. He'd been Neal Knox's associate editor at Wolfe Publishing. I answered Neal's ad for a replacement, and when I got there for an interview, Neal had also left to go to the NRA.

I consider Rick a friend, a good guy whom I wish were still writing for the magazines. I edited his "calling" book and wouldn't mind seeing a few more Rick Jamison books, either.

Never knew that there was also a guitarist-song-writer with that name.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Ken, the singers name is Rick James. Close but no cigar.

Dale
Originally Posted by Dale K

http://www.rjamison.com
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I kept some of the 1990s ST mags because of the writing of Mr. Jamison. He is a true technical expert as well as a very good and interesting writer. His article on the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 was what finally got me into the caliber. I greatly miss his writing.

I have some of the STs from the mid 90s or so that clearly indicate he was the guy who dreamed up the short mag based on the 404 concept.
Originally Posted by taz4570
I have some of the STs from the mid 90s or so that clearly indicate he was the guy who dreamed up the short mag based on the 404 concept.

Here we go again.......

WB.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Dale K

http://www.rjamison.com

I didn't know about that guy, I was going with the 'Superfreak' song mentioned near the top of the page.

Dale
Posted By: Armen Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Biglmbass,

That was a great book. Many years ago as a young man at ASU I would frequently talk hunting w/ a fellow student in my German 101 class. I didn't know anything about hunting but I was catching the "bug", so to speak. Anyway, he'd tell me these incredible stories of calling coyotes. He had me stoked. He loaned me a book, which happened to be the one you referenced. After reading that book I was determined to bag a coyote. I could no longer focus on my studies; I'd find myself ditching classes to read the Field and Stream magazines in the Noble Science library. My friends and I tried unsuccessfully for weeks to call one in. Finally, the day after Thanksgiving I went out alone to the desert east of Mesa, sat under a mesquite and began blowing yet again on my Lohman rabbit distress call. This time the outcome was different - a coyote came trotting right in. I dropped him at 15 yards with my Mossberg 500 loaded with Remington Express Magnums, #2 shot. I'll never forget that feeling of elation driving home with that dead coyote in the back of my pickup. Other than 2 quail and a few doves, it was the first animal I had ever taken. Anyway, I took the coyote home, hung it from the mulberry tree in our backyard and, using Rick's book as a page-by-page instruction, proceeded to skin that coyote while my parents watched through the kitchen window. I remember throwing the skinned carcass in a Circle K dumpster in the middle of the night. I remember even more strongly the irremovable smell of coyote urine on my Buck folding hunter (and probably on the book I was holding and reading while skinning that dog). But, what I remember most was the feeling of pride in what I'd accomplished. I'd done it all on my own with only the help of Rick Jamison's book. Now, 20+ years later I find myself looking for that particular book when I browse through a used book store.

I do wish I could apologize to the friend who loaned it to me. No doubt it smelled of coyote urine and had blood stains on the pages when I returned it to him.

Still haven't found my own copy.

Rich
I should still have my copy but have no idea where it is, or you'd be welcome to it.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...amp;tn=Calling+Coyotes&x=38&y=12
Posted By: Armen Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Thanks Ken. And thanks for the link, too.

Rich
Posted By: KDK Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

So your jealous !!! LOL...

Well, yeah! Who wouldn't want to be able to shoot all the time and not have to work? cool

My point was that I would have a hard time feeling sorry for the guy. Made (well, litigated for) a killing and now he gets to do whatever he wants. I have no problem with the guy. I think he was very knowledgable, but he wasn't an especially elegant writer, but then again how many Jack O'Connors or G. Sittons are there? He got his point across fairly clearly, but put no decoration on it. There are worse things you can say about a man.
When I first knew the gun writer Rick Jamison (1978 — )

Is that date right, Ken? I always thought that I was about the same age as RJ, but that puts him at 11 years younger.
confirmed
Posted By: JPro Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
All jokes aside, I did enjoy reading Jamison's articles, as he approached everything with an open mind.
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Originally Posted by KDK

Is that date right, Ken? I always thought that I was about the same age as RJ, but that puts him at 11 years younger.

That blows me away. That puts me older than him.
Posted By: JPro Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I'm thinking that the late 70's was when he started writing for the magazines. I know I've got some early 80's issues of ST with his articles.
Originally Posted by KDK

]

I took the 1978 to mean his DOB. Forgive me if that is incorrect. Perhaps Ken means he's known RJ since 1978.

Now that I think about it, I have to believe the latter. On my desk I've got a Feb 1996 issue of ST that contains a RJ article about 30-06 varmint loads. It's hard for me to believe he was 18 when that article was published.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Rick's first article in Handloader was in Number 49 - May/June 1974 - Page 30 - and it is entitled "Ohaus." So he was writing at that time.

Just guessing, I'm thinking that Rick's birth year was 1950 or so.

A personal comment: Rick's ballistics lab is unbelieveable. Basically, Rick went to (fill in the arms maker) and presented a line of cartridges with total data and specs, only to be told "Thanks, but no thanks." And shortly later the company brought out precisely the same cartridges.

That, my Campfire friends, is wrong

I would have sued their asses off, too. And I would have won.

Corporate stealing seems to have become quite acceptable and somewhat of an art form in the firearms industry.

I've also been ripped-off and thrown away, so I can attest to that fact.

I will NEVER be back and I suspect that my friend Rick has learned this lesson, as well.

Flame on. Have fun tearing up a fine man, truly a man whose knowledge of ballistics exceeds that of most in the industry.

Back to lurkdom.

Steve
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Steve,

Thanks for the background and perspective concerning Rick Jamison. I had heard the same story that you recounted, but never knew whether or not it was true. Now I do.

He's an honorable man that was treated dishonorably.

(another)Steve
Posted By: kevinh1157 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Rick's books are available used as follows:

The Trapper's Handbook
Jamison, Rick
Bookseller:
ABBS VOL 1
Littleton, CO, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: 3-star rating Book Price:
US$ 10.00
ISBN: 0910676674
Publisher: Dbi Books, Northbrook, Illinois, U.S.A.
Publication Date: 1983
Binding: Paper
Book Condition: Very Good

Book Details
Calling Coyotes and other Predators
Jamison, Rick
Bookseller:
Ducky Waddle's Emporium
Encinitas, CA, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: 4-star rating Book Price:
US$ 19.95
Description: Minor edge wear and rubbing, interior perfect, overall condition is very good. Black and white photos throughout. 5.75" X 8.75", 151 pgs. Bookseller Inventory # T-3002

Kevinbob says "Check 'em out!!!
Posted By: g5m Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
Originally Posted by Armen
Biglmbass,

That was a great book. ................... Finally, the day after Thanksgiving I went out alone to the desert east of Mesa, sat under a mesquite and began blowing yet again on my Lohman rabbit distress call..............
Rich

And now you'd probably be in someone's back yard.
Originally Posted by KDK

I took the 1978 to mean his DOB. Forgive me if that is incorrect. Perhaps Ken means he's known RJ since 1978.

Now that I think about it, I have to believe the latter. On my desk I've got a Feb 1996 issue of ST that contains a RJ article about 30-06 varmint loads. It's hard for me to believe he was 18 when that article was published.

Read what I wrote, and try to understand its literal meaning.
Thanks, Ken. Sometimes I need a good slap upside the head.
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Flame on. Have fun tearing up a fine man, truly a man whose knowledge of ballistics exceeds that of most in the industry.

Steve, I don't know if that was directed at me or not. My comment was intended to be poking a bit of fun at Daveaverageguy. I was not intending to flame RJ. I read just about everything I came across that he wrote, and enjoyed most of it, and learned a lot. My comment was that he was not another O'Connor, but I don't believe we will ever see another O'Connor. RJ wrote things in a clear, straight-ahead manner, no fluff, just information. Almost like an engineer... that's dang close to a compliment from me.

Posted By: Rolly Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I like what RJ wrote. Since he was wronged and won a bunch of $$, so be it. That doesn't deter from what he wrote or did. I would like to read more of his material.
Posted By: Duc1198 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
From everything I have heard, he got screwed out of the WSM line after working with Winchester on it. For that, he rightfully sued. Where most people have a problem is him laying claim to ALL short mags and collecting $$$.
Posted By: mike762 Re: Rick Jamison today - 02/03/09
I have to say that I enjoyed his articles too, and wonder why he doesn't self publish some books on ballistics and handloading. I'd certainly buy them.
Thanks for the clarification, Steve. I still hold RJ in high regard. Have learned a great deal from his old articles and am sure I will continue to learn more as I occasionaly look back through my old ST magazines.
Originally Posted by KDK
Thanks, Ken. Sometimes I need a good slap upside the head.

You're not the only one here with that need! grin
© 24hourcampfire