Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
thought he was dead.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He's rich, shooting and out of the spotlight.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess he gets 3% on every WSM rifle, and no rifle mag's will touch him due to the makers being pissed.

I always liked his writtings

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When I was much more involved in reloading in the early to late 80's Rick was a good writer for Shooting Times, the only magazine I read. But when he and Kenny J teamed up, or so it seemed to me, for the 7mm STW I felt he was tooting his horn more than I cared for.

If I recall correclty I also noticed something I have always disliked with new gun reports, namely if the gun shot sub 2" groups it was the new Phenom, and everyone should go get one. Guess that is the fine line writers must take to keep getting guns to review before everyone else reviews the same guns.

I suspect Rick had the same deal with the STW series?

Allen

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go over to the "ask the gunwriters" forum, and search Rick Jamison. There's probably 10,000 words over there about this whole issue of the patent, and what he's doing now.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a guy come into my store last Friday that looked just like him. Up until than I hadn't thought about him for a long time, but also enjoyed reading his articles.

I got to thinking about some of the old back issues of shooting and went down to my folks' this weekend to see what I could find only to find out she (my mom) threw them all away a couple of years ago. frown

Last edited by cal74; 02/02/09.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hemiallen
But when he and Kenny J teamed up, or so it seemed to me, for the 7mm STW I felt he was tooting his horn more than I cared for.

Allen

Unless I'm badly mistaken it was Layne Simpson who came up with the 7STW. I do know it was Layne Simpson that sounded like Kenny J's press agent for years.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cal74
and went down to my folks' this weekend to see what I could find only to find out she (my mom) threw them all away a couple of years ago. frown

Ain't that something how they always do that? My mom threw out all of my baseball cards from when I was a kid in the 60's, including the autographed ones from Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris and the entire '65 Yankees team. Oh well, who knew?

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Layne Simpson developed the 7mmSTW .257 STW. and the 358 Shooting Times Alaskan.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yup. Layne did the STWs and Rick did all the short magnum work, hence the Winchester lawsuit and setlement. Always liked his research methods and articles.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sorry

Must be my 50 yr old memory...

Thanks for clearing that up.

Allen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MColeman
I do know it was Layne Simpson that sounded like Kenny J's press agent for years.

Yeah, I'd read those adoring tongue-bath stories Layne wrote about KJ and always wonder how many freebies he had sitting in his gun safe, or free work on his various projects.

Not that the man can't build rifles, but it got embarrassing after a while.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Layme Simpleton is a royal douche bag.. I just wanna puke everytime I see his picture!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And I have to laugh every time I hear someone complaining about how their mommy threw something out that they left there years ago. Buck up.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mother had what she considered good reason � semi-invalid, not wealthy, moving from state to state a lot when Dad got appointed to different circuits. I don't blame her, but I sure do miss some of those boyhood treasures. Recently paid over fifty bucks to replace a rare book that in the 1940s cost less than a buck.

Now a buddy's wife � when he and she come here to help The Old Fossil keep a neat house � has a wife's notion of what to throw out and what to let me keep.

�'est la femme.

Eternal vigilance is the price of keeping treasured junque.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was much more involved in reloading in the early to late 80's Rick was a good writer for Shooting Times, the only magazine I read.

I was a long time subscriber to ST starting back in the early 90's to approx 2001. Back in those days, I read them cover to cover. I'm a natural packrat so I still have all those issues stored in boxes. I always thought Rick did a fine job on his reloading column, and for that reason I still refer back to many of the issues.

Speaking of books...
I hate I never got around to buying Rick's coyote calling book back when the getting was good. They are darn hard to find now, and are never cheap when they do turn up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always thought the price of liberty was eternal vigilance.

Simpson also developed the 7mm STE. He is VERY impressed with himself. Layne really digs Layne.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did the STA as well, if memory serves.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by biglmbass

Speaking of books...
I hate I never got around to buying Rick's coyote calling book back when the getting was good. They are darn hard to find now, and are never cheap when they do turn up.

Was this specifically a coyote calling book? My brother has an old book by Rick that is all about trapping. It's damn good too. He found it at a garage sale. I've never seen one since.

Travis

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.