Home
Charlie Meyers column in today's Denver Post is about one Ron Wedow seeing a large dog kill a fawn and attack the doe. He pulled out a rifle and killed the dog. Colorado statute 33-3-106 allows citizens to use force in such situations. The sheriff and wildlife officer investigated. The Douglas County animal control issued a ticket for cruelty to animals. So far Wedow is $15,000 in hock for lawyers. I hope he can sue for false arrest.
Most of us would have done the same, maybe the thing to do is drive off after the deed.

Anyone smarter than I make a link?
Read this by Huntsman 22, his brother, very interesting stuff....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...owflat/Number/3115583/page/1#Post3115583
Did they also issue dog owner a ticket for dog at large? Might even be able to get the owner on harassing wildlife via dog or charge him for hunting deer with a dog. Possibilities are endless. Why stop at the ticketing of the man who shot the dog? Might as well get as much money out of as many people as possible... They should get the feds involved, too. Who knows what laws they can put to "good" use. (We're with the government. We're here to help)
If this story is correctly reported, it is a miscarriage of justice. Seconded by an attorneys fee that atrociously matches the first miscarriage. Makes you wonder if fewer laws and less attorneys would not benefit society.
As much as I love dogs, he did the right thing...if anybody should be prosecuted it should be the owner of the dog.
[Linked Image]
a trial by jury is his only hope. Today there are too many empowered low IQ types in charge of things. They don't use common sense because they do not have any. If no one had seen him do it, I certainly would not have reported it as you throw yourself into a mix of rank stupidity. Obama even got in trouble for swatting a fly, next on the list...keep a poisenous snake in your garden and if it kills you that is what nature intended...
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...lat/Number/3115583/page/1/gonew/1#UNREAD
If the Colorado laws permit it then the fish and Game officer was wrong in issuing the ticket and it should have been dismissed by the court. Either there is more to the story or else the liberal eco loons have taken over in Colorado
Deer or any other game killing dog needs to be shot. The same with feral cats. They're a threat to already declining quail populations.
It was, according to the story, the Animal Control officer who wrote the ticket, not the Fish and Game.

Sounds like another instance of a lefty whack job operating outside the law. I certainly hope the ticketing officer and his organization are made to pay for this and then prosecuted.
Hunter, what's a guy to do when it's illegal in your area to shoot a feral cat or a dog? SSS? or let them run?

Archerhunter, I kill feral dogs and cats.
It's the 3rd "S" that so many forget to follow. SSS
Originally Posted by oulufinn
It's the 3rd "S" that so many forget to follow. SSS

So true it isn't SS and shout it out!
Never have tolerated a dog chasing deer. Trailing wounded deer is another story, but a well trained trail dog wouldn't dare think of chasing a deer. My labs have always associated deer with bad things happening. They don't want anything to do with them. If you have a scarcity of deer or very skittish deer in an area where you see a lot of free ranging dogs, it's a safe bet what's happening. Dogs understand gunfire too and can be trained to avoid areas where it occurs regularly.

Alan

Hmmm and in some cities in America our immigrant Vietnamese and Mong populations for years have killed neigborhood dogs to eat and do they ticketed? hmmm
i live on a farm. people are always driving out to the "country" and dropping their dogs and cats off. perhaps they mistakenly think these animals can fend for themselves. they usually starve or die from disease (i've found them in every form of disease and starvation). when i see a stray, i shoot it. end of discussion. i don't even mention it to my wife and i certainly wouldn't "report" it. that is just asking for trouble.
He should tell them he thought there might be a cop in the woods who might be in some sort of danger from the dog. Officer safety and all.
I've always said, "I don't blame the dog, I blame the owner."

I've never shot another man's dog and it would be awfully tough for me to pull the trigger. Can't say I've ever seen a feral dog in Idaho but have had a couple drop off at the house when I lived in the country, called animal control and left it at that.

Halted my typing while I went out and chase off someone's cat. Please tell me why it is OK to let cats run loose.
In my area of southern Colorado the wardens or the sheriffs will kill any dog harassing wildlife on sight. Memorial Day weekend of last year a Beagle and two other small mutts were chasing two pregnant does across my property. Being a bit reluctant to kill another man's dog, I popped the Beagle with a shotshell load out of my .44 from about 20 ft. It took him down pretty hard, causing him to run back in the direction he came from yelping intensely. That ended the chase.

I happened to mention the incident to a neighbor of mine whose nephew is on the sheriff's department. Some time later he related to me that he had told the story to his nephew, and told me that the nephew/deputy said to never do what I did, but rather "kill the damn dog!"

I don't mind that a bit! While I do realize that this sort of attitude is more common in the small mountain communities than the over populated, over regulated "front range", it still puzzles me that any LEO in the state of Colorado would cite anyone for defending wildlife from a dog. I hope that the above mentioned good citizen gets his day in court, and gets reimbursed for the unwarranted legal expenses he was forced to incur. The dog's owner should be the one facing legal expenses.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i live on a farm. people are always driving out to the "country" and dropping their dogs and cats off. perhaps they mistakenly think these animals can fend for themselves. they usually starve or die from disease (i've found them in every form of disease and starvation). when i see a stray, i shoot it. end of discussion. i don't even mention it to my wife and i certainly wouldn't "report" it. that is just asking for trouble.
You got it...
Best not be shooting any "feral" dogs or cats on site unless they're on your property. You have no way of knowing whether that is the little farm girl's "fluffy" or not. Lots of farms have barn cats to keep the vermin down. As for dogs, farm dogs are never locked up...they are guard dogs for people and livestock.

I'll do all the dog and cat shootin on my property that needs to done. You shoot my dog on my property you better have bite marks on yourself somewhere. smile
Big difference between an animal at large and one that's actually feral. Unless mistaken, I believe feral refers to animals that are on their own, eking out their own existance and living off the fat of the land, so to speak.

Of course, shoot on sight. And that regardless of where they occur because they simply don't belong.

Someone's pet that's chasing game is a different matter. If you know it's someone's pet make an effort. If that fails then treat like any other vermin. No biggie, the owner should be expecting it when he refuses to provide the obvious solution.

You don't have to report to the owner that since he refused to solve the problem you elected to eliminated it. You can always anonymously mail them their collar wink

Originally Posted by ringworm
[Linked Image]

That is irresponsible and non selective. I'd much rather shoot one and kill it instantly than to make it suffer, but it doesn't surprise me this coming from you.

guess it is too much to hope to be drawn for jury duty on this case. I do live in douglas county. tom
Douglas county is part of the Front Range (Strange?). So you may end up with a jury of immigrant Californians. This may be being drawn out to wear down the defendant because it is a weak case what with the Division of Wildlife testifying for defense, and a clearly written law. We can hope for the judge throwing it out.
I hope the story was accurately reported - if so, this is a gross miscarrage of justice. Perhaps there is more to the story.
Originally Posted by 257wby
Best not be shooting any "feral" dogs or cats on site unless they're on your property. You have no way of knowing whether that is the little farm girl's "fluffy" or not. Lots of farms have barn cats to keep the vermin down. As for dogs, farm dogs are never locked up...they are guard dogs for people and livestock.

I'll do all the dog and cat shootin on my property that needs to done. You shoot my dog on my property you better have bite marks on yourself somewhere. smile

If someone else's dog is chasing stock or game on my property it will not last long. Most farm dogs in my area stay at home nights or don't come home.
© 24hourcampfire