Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In my area of southern Colorado the wardens or the sheriffs will kill any dog harassing wildlife on sight. Memorial Day weekend of last year a Beagle and two other small mutts were chasing two pregnant does across my property. Being a bit reluctant to kill another man's dog, I popped the Beagle with a shotshell load out of my .44 from about 20 ft. It took him down pretty hard, causing him to run back in the direction he came from yelping intensely. That ended the chase.

I happened to mention the incident to a neighbor of mine whose nephew is on the sheriff's department. Some time later he related to me that he had told the story to his nephew, and told me that the nephew/deputy said to never do what I did, but rather "kill the damn dog!"

I don't mind that a bit! While I do realize that this sort of attitude is more common in the small mountain communities than the over populated, over regulated "front range", it still puzzles me that any LEO in the state of Colorado would cite anyone for defending wildlife from a dog. I hope that the above mentioned good citizen gets his day in court, and gets reimbursed for the unwarranted legal expenses he was forced to incur. The dog's owner should be the one facing legal expenses.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i live on a farm. people are always driving out to the "country" and dropping their dogs and cats off. perhaps they mistakenly think these animals can fend for themselves. they usually starve or die from disease (i've found them in every form of disease and starvation). when i see a stray, i shoot it. end of discussion. i don't even mention it to my wife and i certainly wouldn't "report" it. that is just asking for trouble.
You got it...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best not be shooting any "feral" dogs or cats on site unless they're on your property. You have no way of knowing whether that is the little farm girl's "fluffy" or not. Lots of farms have barn cats to keep the vermin down. As for dogs, farm dogs are never locked up...they are guard dogs for people and livestock.

I'll do all the dog and cat shootin on my property that needs to done. You shoot my dog on my property you better have bite marks on yourself somewhere. smile

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big difference between an animal at large and one that's actually feral. Unless mistaken, I believe feral refers to animals that are on their own, eking out their own existance and living off the fat of the land, so to speak.

Of course, shoot on sight. And that regardless of where they occur because they simply don't belong.

Someone's pet that's chasing game is a different matter. If you know it's someone's pet make an effort. If that fails then treat like any other vermin. No biggie, the owner should be expecting it when he refuses to provide the obvious solution.

You don't have to report to the owner that since he refused to solve the problem you elected to eliminated it. You can always anonymously mail them their collar wink

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ringworm
[Linked Image]

That is irresponsible and non selective. I'd much rather shoot one and kill it instantly than to make it suffer, but it doesn't surprise me this coming from you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
guess it is too much to hope to be drawn for jury duty on this case. I do live in douglas county. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Douglas county is part of the Front Range (Strange?). So you may end up with a jury of immigrant Californians. This may be being drawn out to wear down the defendant because it is a weak case what with the Division of Wildlife testifying for defense, and a clearly written law. We can hope for the judge throwing it out.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hope the story was accurately reported - if so, this is a gross miscarrage of justice. Perhaps there is more to the story.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 257wby
Best not be shooting any "feral" dogs or cats on site unless they're on your property. You have no way of knowing whether that is the little farm girl's "fluffy" or not. Lots of farms have barn cats to keep the vermin down. As for dogs, farm dogs are never locked up...they are guard dogs for people and livestock.

I'll do all the dog and cat shootin on my property that needs to done. You shoot my dog on my property you better have bite marks on yourself somewhere. smile

If someone else's dog is chasing stock or game on my property it will not last long. Most farm dogs in my area stay at home nights or don't come home.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.