Home
Posted By: 6mm250 Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
Does anyone have one of these ? , if so how do you like it ?

I just hooked this one up this morning , going to try it out.
It looks to me like some shade tree welder reduced the pipe from 8" to 6" , I'm thinking I might cut that 6" pipe out & go back to 8".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mike
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
I don't have one but I like yours.

I'll bet it puts out some heat.

JM.
Posted By: Gus Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
nice. how do you plan to deal with the exterior rust? leave it like it is, paint over it, something in addition?

Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
Mike how well will that stove clean up... guessing you just bought it for a song, you old scrounger you...

Wire brush and the stove black paint in the plans?
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
It would sure be nice looking. I am going to get one similar when I get my cabin finished.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
Sand it & paint it.
I've been playing around with woodstoves.

I tried this one out.

[Linked Image]

It puts out plenty heat but it won't hold a fire for an extended period of time , too much draft.

Mike
The Ember Hearth was an inheritance from my late brother.
The little cast stove I bought used.

Mike
So you can pretty much make it look like new then? Are the grate openings part of a blower fan system?

My Hammond Oak wood stove is due to be delivered Thursday... if the rotisserie works as advertised we can have a Carolina Boyz Club get together and roast.....Shannoncool
those little ones like you show above are tough to control. I find that you have to keep the ash cleanout mouth full of ashes, heaped with ashes & lay the cover in there so you have to press it down into place. that blocks a lot of air from sneaking in from under the cleanout cover.

next problem is the huge gap between the bottom of the loading door & the top of the cleanout cover, they pull a boatload of air in that gap & the stove just runs wild.

I've resorted to keeping a little pile of cold ashes on top of the cleanout cover & I just use my hand to sweep a berm of ash against the door to dam up the air gap.

that ember hearth is a way better stove.

Originally Posted by 2ndwind
So you can pretty much make it look like new then? Are the grate openings part of a blower fan system?

Yes and yes. I have a blower but don't have it hooked up. To put the blower on I will have to move the stove farther away from the chimney.

Mike
Just to clarify Mike, I wasn't suggesting that we actually plan to carve up and eat Shannon... just truss him up on a spit for giggles...whistle
There is a seperate thread about that;

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...s/3399175/1/Would_you_eat_another_person

Mike
Posted By: shreck Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
Originally Posted by 6mm250

grin
Posted By: tommygs Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/20/09
actually, sir, regarding the rust question... i have a solution.

ospho is the trade name of a substance called 'osphoric acid'. we used it offshore all the time, in a heavily saltwater laden environment, in iron ships. it eats rust. paint it on your stove, then go to home despot or lowest morals or aces hi hardware and get yo' sef a can of high temp black spray and get with it. don't brush off the residue from the ospho.

ospho is great. paint it on, spray over it all.

looks like you got a real stove there.

-tom

you'll have a black stove.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/21/09
Looks like you might want to invest in a little fire brick to go in that stove. It will last a whole lot longer and it's cheap.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/21/09
It does have firebrick in it , just can't really see it in the picture.

Mike
Nothin' better than a fire in the Winter and a pup curled up next to it.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/21/09
Originally Posted by tommygs
actually, sir, regarding the rust question... i have a solution.

ospho is the trade name of a substance called 'osphoric acid'. we used it offshore all the time, in a heavily saltwater laden environment, in iron ships. it eats rust. paint it on your stove, then go to home despot or lowest morals or aces hi hardware and get yo' sef a can of high temp black spray and get with it. don't brush off the residue from the ospho.

ospho is great. paint it on, spray over it all.

looks like you got a real stove there.

-tom

Ospho is good chitt. I used it on my traps a couple years ago.

It's actually phosphoric acid and turns iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate and stops the rusting process.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/21/09
Go the your hardware store and get a bottle of Ospho. Brush it in and rust is gone. It worked on my stove. Then use stove black, it will not stink up the house like a painted stove.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 10/21/09
Stove black works better on cast 'arn.......
Posted By: peterlee Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 12/06/10
Did you ever get your ember hearth stove going? I have one that I purchased in 1978 that I used for years. It is still in working condition and a very good stove. I have replaced the blower motor several times with just a universal motor. The stove came prepared for an 8 inch flue which could be reduced
to 6 inch if flue had enough height which I had. Looks to me that someone tried to heat liquids on top of stove which didn't really work cause the stove was designed to work with blower running causing the top to be to cool to cook or heat water properly.
I love my wood stove. It's an Earth Stove out of Oregon. Nothing like a good wood fire on a cold winter's nite. Fact is I just started mine. CB
I have a soapstone wood stove heater.
It is the paladin and when you get that soapstone warmed up it stays for a long time.
It lasts all night with a load of oak in and it takes 16 inch wood.It weights about 500 lbs and it looks good in the corner of the living room.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 12/06/10
I just wire brushed & painted the stove , didn't use any Oxpho , the paint is holding up good. I left the 6" reducer in place.
I never did hook up the blower , don't need it , plenty of heat without it. I have a fire going in it right now.

Mike
Don't you wish they would settle on one size of flue pipe I do.
It seems everyone wants to be a little different.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 12/06/10
Sand it & paint it.

I tried this one out.

[Linked Image]

It puts out plenty heat but it won't hold a fire for an extended period of time , too much draft.

Mike

+1 on ash in clean out tray. I have had that exact stove in our Ohio hunt camp cabin for the past 14 years. bought used here in Ga. for $25 and until we figured out the ash solution and we added a draft damper on the chimney pipe the guy with the cheapest sleeping bag lost and had to get up in about 4-5 hours and stoke the fire, now it will last about 6-7 hours if box is filled and everything is dampered down.
Posted By: TetonSky Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/30/19
Would you let me know what universal motor did you order for your Ember Hearth Stove? I am looking for the motor for the blower that shows in this memo.
Gary.
Posted By: hanco Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/30/19
Looks nice and warm!
I'm currently shopping for a wood stove and have decided on a Jotul of some sort because it's Norwegian and so am I.

I'm a novice, but Jotul is a good name. There's more science to these things than I realized. EPA, catalytic vs non catalytic, optimum stove pipe installation etc...
Posted By: ST50 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/30/19
Originally Posted by Gus
nice. how do you plan to deal with the exterior rust? leave it like it is, paint over it, something in addition?

I have used Stove Black in the past. Never tried paint of any kind yet. A good old stove that I use and abuse in my shop was getting in rough shape from snow, water, etc. I use it to thaw stuff out, warm things up. I brought out some used bacon grease, butter, cooking oil, and swabbed it down. Smoked things up, but it looks pretty danged good.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/30/19
I just wire brushed & painted the stove , didn't use any Oxpho , the paint is holding up good. I left the 6" reducer in place.
I never did hook up the blower , don't need it , plenty of heat without it. I have a fire going in it right now.

Mike

If you hook up your blower you'll be able to run the stove cooler and conserve wood. You don't want to run the stove to cool because you want the smoke hot as it goes up the chimney to avoid excessive creosote build up.
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/30/19
This is the 10th winter I've used the old Ember Hearth. I never did do anything to it except wire brush it & spray it with flat black hi-temp paint. It's still chugging along just fine.

There were a lot of well built wood stoves manufactured in the '70s-early '80s. This one will outlast me , unless the EPA SWATs it first.

[Linked Image]

Mike
Posted By: EdM Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm currently shopping for a wood stove and have decided on a Jotul of some sort because it's Norwegian and so am I.

I'm a novice, but Jotul is a good name. There's more science to these things than I realized. EPA, catalytic vs non catalytic, optimum stove pipe installation etc...

I really like mine.

[Linked Image]
Which model do you have?

They're all pretty enticing. I can't decide.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
You folks are driving me nuts with this wood heat, it would sure feel good tonight!
Posted By: Snyper Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
Sand it & paint it.

I tried this one out.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Put a damper in the flue pipe and it will help a lot.
That's what I did with my old Fisher Grandpa Bear,
I have one that was bought new in 1978 and used every winter since. It looks very similar to 6mm250's stove. I have had to replace the door gasket a few times. I replaced the blower motor 8 years ago. Other than that all I have done is use it. It is 6 above zero right now and there is a good hot black locust fire going in it. Nice and warm here in the house.
Posted By: silver78 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
It's 6 degrees out now. But thanks to my Vermont Castings wood stove it's over 90 degrees in my basement. Glad I have it. I do wish I had a better venting system to get the heat upstairs more efficiently. But it sure helps. My neighbors came over earlier to warm up a bit. Stay warm folks.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
Oh, I will......

[Linked Image]
Interesting wall art Hunts.
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19

I used 2 or 3 wood stoves over the years and earlier on used Warm Morning coal heaters. For the last 5 years I finely bought the bullet and bought a Blaze King, Princess for the house and what a difference, long burn, very controllable. Was so pleased I bought one for my 1700 square foot shop to replace the Warm Morning. The coal stove would produce a little more heat and was fairly controllable, but got tired of hauling 5 plus gallons of ash out every week. The Blaze King I get about 2 gallons of ash every 2 to 3 weeks. The catalytic models are the way to go. I start a fire in October and it stays lit till mid April or mid May.
Posted By: KnightHawk Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
If you run the Blaze King correctly (the catalytic model) you will not get creosote.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
Which model do you have?

They're all pretty enticing. I can't decide.

Offhand I do not recall. It is at my place in north Idaho where all of the info resides. One feature I really like is the side load door.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
Originally Posted by KnightHawk
If you run the Blaze King correctly (the catalytic model) you will not get creosote.

Correct! I was up on my cabin roof a couple years ago and the spark arrestor on top of the stove pipe wasn't even black after running the stove for the past 6 years!

There are only two brands of wood stove I would currently buy - Jotul or Blaze King. Jotul is cast iron and will take longer to heat up but will still be warm after the fire dies. Blaze King is a plate steel stove that has the whole catalyst technology figured out. I get good heat from the stove in milder weather using only four splits of wood! Blaze King advertises that you will burn 30% less wood with their stove and in my experience that is exactly right. Another advantage of the Blaze King is you drop the splits in and DOWN into the stove. The advantage here is when you open the door to add more wood, ashes don't come tumbling out of the stove, even after several fires. I highly recommend Blaze King based on my own personal experience.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 01/31/19
I'm a Quadrafire slut.....
At our North place.[Linked Image]
I like this one.
Posted By: TetonFire Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 02/20/22
I need to know what the information do you have so I can purchase a motor for my Ember Hearth Stove.
Thanks
Posted By: TetonFire Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 02/20/22
I need to find out what model and motor details so I can purchase motor for Ember Hearth wood stove.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/classic-wood-stove-forums-prior-to-approx-1993.19/

Talk to these gear heads, fanstart. They know it all, believe me.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 02/21/22
I just installed a Lopi in the cabin. So far so good. Only 700 s/f but had it up to 80 in an hour or so when it was single digit outside
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by tommygs

Black Stoves Matter.
Posted By: mart Re: Ember Hearth Woodstove - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'm a Quadrafire slut.....

Glad you’re happy with yours. I’m sorely disappointed with ours and their customer service is non existent. Wish I had gone with a Lopi but a friend talked me into a Quadrafire.
© 24hourcampfire