Home
Hi all:<P>OK, I've been mulling some directional changes in the whole format of the website and the BB in particular. I want as much input as I can get from you all, because it's yours.<P>So what do you like best about the Campfire? What keeps you coming back?<P>What do you dislike the most about the Campfire? What changes would you make if you could? How can we improve?<P>What do other websites offer that you'd like to see here? Would you like to see an upgrade to the BB software, for instance?<P>Looking for everyone's opinion here, folks. I promise your feedback will be super important when we consider where to take the Campfire next. That's the whole point of this poll.<P>Thanks a bunch.<P>Rick<P>
Rick, I must be easy to please, because I like everything about the forum. I appreciate the inclusion of the backpacking, flyfishing, and bowhunting sections.<P>I know these are a lot of work to maintain, yet get little traffic compared to the big game board.<P>I find the format perfect. The moderation has been good.<P>I return because of the posters here. The reason is perfectly selfish. I like hanging out with the group, and learn a lot. A lot of these guys have lived my dreams, and sometimes I can offer something beneficial to the discussion. This is priceless stuff.<P>Thanks for asking. Talus<P>
Hi Rick. I like the speed, and layout of the forums. I can log on, and jump around quickly to where I want to go. I can't do that at Hunt America. Second, I like the folks that post here. They are here because you are flexible, and availible. I have no suggestions for improvements. E
Rick,<P>I'm with Talus. Well laid out, easy to use, laid back atmosphere. I can say stupid stuff here, and only get flamed if I'm way outta line [Linked Image]<P>My ONLY request would be an Alaska hunting section...but I may be biased about this...<P>John
Rick,<BR> <BR>Don't change a thing! I like it the way it is. I feel like we're all friends here, and can carry on candid discusions about almost anything we want. Other than a few guys taking things too serious, this is a great place to debate, or just B.S. about the things we all hold dear. <P>I do feel we all owe you our thanks for keeping the Campfire up and running, and giving us a place to put our freedom of speech into practice. THANKYOU.<BR>7mmbuster
I am also pleased with what you have done for us. Only thing I can think of to add might be a live chat like the un-named site. tom
Rickbin,<BR>Don't change a thing. I really like the way the layout is also. This is really the first site I have check out, and as far as I'm concerned, I'll leave when I get kicked out. <BR>I like the people that post here, they can relate to me and I can relate to them. I feel I learn from others experiences and learn by asking questions. I also learn a lot from questions that people ask and the replier.<BR>What keeps me coming back is the info I reciece from other hunters. I don't know them personally, but I feel a sense of friendship on this site. I also come back because of all the funny things people say on here.<BR>So again I feel like most of the other guys, Don't Change a thing.<BR>86
Rick,<P>No changes required in my view. I don't <BR>participate much, but that's because I'm<BR>too darn busy.<P>Dave
My observations would be this. 1) the big game board is the best I've seen and the camraderie is the best. The posters make a real effort to get to know one another. The other sites totally miss this. 2) Different sites dominate in different subjects. e.g. 24 hr has the best Big Game, Hunt America has a more active Africa board, The coffee shop has the most active gundog board and shooters has the best rimfire board. I still like best the shooters.com format. Cheers, pak
Looks good to me.I am with every body else...Ss...<P>------------------<BR>Florida by Birth-Georgia by Choice
Once I got used to it I think it is just fine. The Reason I come here is the people.,,BEARHUNTER<P>BTW,,If it does change I will just adapt and get used to that too.
Rick,<P>The speed is great.<BR>There are boards to cover most subjects, another plus.<BR>The people are great (for the most part) [Linked Image]<P>One addition I would suggest:<BR>If there is a way to see who posted on what topics from yesterday till today, that would take less time versus having to load every topic and go look. Another BB that I visit has this feature within each range of topics and it makes it nice to look at all the posts made from yesterday. Maybe I confused you here, not sure if I said that very well. <P>I do enjoy the moderation of these boards and the fact that an "opinion" is just that and no personal attacks allowed (such as some boards allow). <P>Don [Linked Image]
<BR>Rick, I came over from Shooters with most of these hooligans and I had to adapt to the new format a bit. After I got used to this format, I really like how it runs. It is much smoother and faster than most of the sites I have visited and I love the feature of posting pictures. Any of my complaints would be so small as to be insignificant, so as far as I'm concerned, leave it just the way it is for now- unless you come up with some really super, knock-our-socks-off upgrade that can be changed over to seamlessly (fat chance) [Linked Image]- <BR>While I'm at it, thanks a lot for being so responsive every time we have needed something, including the few times I've had a minor complaint or problems with another poster- you've always handled it in a firm, but gentlemanly manner. I really appreciate it, and the character of the board seems to follow your example (I know from experience that most of these guys aren't usually this polite!) [Linked Image]. That is what makes this board so great- not the techno-wiz upgrades that come along at lightning speed in cyberspace. Keep on trucking!- Sheister
I'm satisfied. Thanks
Rick,<BR>I also have no complaints what soever about this bored..i learn alot and give input wherever i can.. i have felt welcome here from my first post... and thats something other boards dont do.. this is the best hunting forum out there..thanks for the hardwork.<BR>YoungHunter<P>------------------<BR> MARLIN 35Rem. THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!
I agree with most of the above. The quality of the posters is the reason it is such a great place. Do not really want to see it get bigger for fear it will water down the quality. People will get tired of running through so much and will post less on the whole. It would also take too much time to wade through in the short time I give myself on this site daily.<P>Must agree with John Calhoun, a page for Alaska hunting would be good.<BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: RICK'S CAMPFIRE POLL ... PLEASE READ! - 05/02/01
Rick, Agree with all the others. Great the way it is. Only change I would suggest is a cronilogical listing of responses. That way you can read all posts each day, versus going to each topic and scrolling down to the latest responses. Keep up the great work and thanks for giving us a decent home. TM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think this site is great and I thank you for all the hard work you do. And a quote <B>"leave it just the way it is for now- unless you come up with some really super, knock-our-socks-off upgrade that can be changed over to seamlessly (fat chance)" [Linked Image]</B> Really it is great as is, <B>it's the people not the bells and whistles!</B><P>------------------<BR><B>T LEE</B><BR>Remember: There is no such thing as OVERKILL. Just a generous margin of SAFETY! <P><B>APATHY!.........Freedoms greatest enemy!</B>
Although I don't post often, I do enjoy the atmosphere here more than any other board I have visited. Being a techno-dummy I have no idea of what to suggest to change. I would like to thank you for a board that allows its' members to vent, have free discussion and in the end, can't wait to come back to the fire.<P>Wall<P>------------------<BR>"...please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all evil and disaster!"<BR>I Chronicles 4:10
Rick,<BR>I like things the way they are, frankly. Especially the topic listing, as opposed to the chronological listing some other boards use. I follow some topics and not others and can quickly and easily check for updates this way. <BR>
Rick,<P>I have one <B>huge</B> complaint!!!<P>We seem to have lost Texas-Hunter! :0<P>I'm about to suggest a boycott of this fine website, if you don't get him back. [Linked Image]<P>Let's see how would Tex handle this???? Oh yea, he'd start an annoying whiney chant like this...<P>We want Tex!<BR>We want Tex!<BR>We want Tex!<BR>JJHack give me a bear story!<BR>We want Tex!<BR>We want Tex...<P>Lastly, you better increase Ken Howells salary, he's putting out way too much good info for what your paying him. [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>
BW:<P>Working on that already. Sent Tex an email last night and he had some lame excuse about work and PC problems and yada, yada, yada. [Linked Image] I'll see if I can roust his sorry @$$ again.<P>As to everyone else, I don't know whether to be pleased or not. I mean, I really appreciate that everyone is content. I like that. That's my goal. But I also wanna make the site better. Shall I start a new thread?<P>Rick<BR>
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<P>badger.<P>PS: Anyone heard from Toons & Hubby lately?<P>------------------<BR>Gun control is good bullet placement.....<p>[This message has been edited by badger (edited May 02, 2001).]
You have done a great job with the board and it just keeps getting better because of the good people who visit here. Thanks!
Rick this is a good site. Every body is happy with it as it is from what I see. I am sure it must be a task to keep it running and you are doing a fine job. We appreciate it. Now why would you want to get itchy fingers and go to poking around in the bits and bytes and other assorted doohickeys and get every body in a swivet and take a chance on louseing up the whole show? Just sit back and put your feet up and sip a cool one and let the bet ride.<BR>Looks to me like most all come around the fire more for who is here than any thing else. I agree with that and no amount of poking and prying and proding with the electrons will change that much if at all.<BR>BCR
RICK,All I know about computers is how to click on the adress bar and scroll down to the campfire,so I aint much help.I like it just fine and about the only improvement might be sort of 2nd hand:change it and I probably cant find it!grin<P>Remember this,better is the enemy of good enough.
I like it for the wide variety of subjects and the quality of posters.<BR>I am satisfied the way it is. However we should not be afraid to think "outside the box", and if someone has a better idea we should consider it.
Rick,great format and some of the best<BR>behaved and most helpful people on the net.<BR> I also like the fact that you attracting<BR>a wide range of ages and experience. Shows<BR>you are doing a bunch right! [Linked Image]
Rick,I can't add anything that hasn't been said already.Leave it be.<P>mike
Rick: I'm snakebit! You've never demonstrated anything less than a genuine and successful effort to please, with no hidden agenda. But, I must admit, anymore, terms like: that's progress, new and improved, etc., have come to mean, "gonna cost you", "here comes another pain in the a$$", "ain't gonna work as good as it useta" and "likely to lose something". I'm sure many well-intended efforts elsewhere have resulted in disappointments fitting such categories... we've seen it mighty close to home and in virtually every enterprise we use. What you've got here works very well, indeed; better than almost all others and exceeded by none. Please, find comfort in our unanimous pleasure, stand back, and admire your good work. Best. -John
Rick,<BR>It's a people thing for me.<BR>There are good folks here,and they are reason I stop in whenever I get time.<BR>I liked the format on the old shooters board better at first,but now this is second nature.<BR>Change is traumatic to most of us that just want to have a "comfy framiliar place" to hang out.<BR>I say leave it alone,unless you have a better idea!<BR>Thanks for putting up with us yahoos so far!<BR>E4E
Well, someone has to kick the fire a little just to show it's still alive. Rick, how about numbering the posts so a person can refer to a particular post. I still like to see the posts come in as we talk like sho****s but everyone likes this best, so be it. You are doing a good job and the numbers prove it. When I am late, day or two, and see a post I would like to reply to if it had a number would make things much easier. Hope you make a million. -- no<BR>You coming to the Slam in CO? Bet a bunch would come to meet you. Tom has a BIG tent.
Rick, I would be happy if you didn't change a thing! The companionship here is great, and everybody is friendly. The setup of the website is great, and it is being run very well. <BR> There is only one very minor suggestion. Could you please make a thing so as to see who last replied on a certain thread? <BR> Other than that, there is nothing to add. Thank you very much for running this site and putting up with us all. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
I like everything just the way it is.<P>If I had to pick one other thing to change it would be to add a hog hunting section, that's all. but I don't konw what the demand would be.<P>otherwise nuthin.
Rick: I hate change with a passion! Constant change is something best left to the Rocket Scientist, and Engineers of the world. Most folks prefer something that works. I've seen no problems. Heard of no problems. And enjoy the Company.<P>If it ain't broke don't fix it.<P>Phil
As far as the forums are concerned I'm content.<BR>The articles or whatever could be changed more often. I bookmarked the home page so I see "For The Love Of Mercy" everytime. I pretty well have that first page memorized [Linked Image]<BR>I might suggest that whatever changes you have in mind you send up as a trial balloon first and phase them in one at a time so us cranky, stick in the cybermud, hate-all-changes, types won't go into shock [Linked Image] Joe.
Hey Rick....no, I'm not dead....just been working my butt off so this is the first time in a week for me to sign on,...SORRY! [Linked Image]<P>The Campfire is great....in fact....I almost got assasinated along with B'cat, Yooper and a few others for starting this very sort of Campfire topic for BS discussions, not always pertaining to calibers or shot placement [Linked Image] on anpother forum that wasn't quite ready for a campfire talk forum......guess we were a little before our time there. I was thrilled to see you had one here, because it's not always about "is a .243 big enough for elk?" or.... "or should I shoot him through the right eye... or left?" [Linked Image]<P>You have an excellent format, and as mentioned above, a great group of members who make it all that much better......keep up the great work!!!<BR>DS
Rick change if you must but please do it in very tiny increments so we won't know that change has been affected. You can start, for example By spelling your name say... ric then in three or four months try Ric... don't change any more or any faster than that. This is too good to get any better.<P>Bullwnkl.
If we could get a box of ammo with every ten posts, well, that would be a huge improvement. [Linked Image]<P>Barring that, I'd have to echo the general sentiment - really like the place. Good people, good information, a friendly atmosphere. I visit every evening, even if I don't post.<P>I like it here. <P>New content? We'd all like to see that. But you and I know why I shouldn't even be bringing that up. (Hey, I'll get to it!)<P>Greggun<BR>
Rick, I think it's great just as it is, Thanks........deadeye
I'm kinda new here, and I think its just fine the way it is. I've seen other fourms make changes "for the better" and have them turn out worse. To quote "T LEE" above, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
badger: shoot me an email amd I will update uou on toons/toons hubby. Its not for the board.ut I will share with just you.<P>Just shoot me an email.<P>Tex<P>I havge been caught in a computer bermuuda trianle from hell. Hopefully it will clear up this week for good.<P>Nice to see evgeryone still posting.<P>I missed JJ though? Is he still around?<P>Tex<p>[This message has been edited by texas_hunter (edited May 03, 2001).]
Rick,<P>I have become used to this format. I always did like the chronological format at Sh***ers, but I wouldn't want it if it would slow things down. Like Sonnnie, post numberw would be nice.<P>I come here for the people that post here. I also appreciate your responsiveness and your proactive management of the forum.<P>Blaine
Hey Rick every thing is great from here,people are great,I'm always learning new stuff here.<BR>Would be kind of cool to somehow be able to see who's postin and on what,or somekind of<BR>talk page,I guess.<BR> Thanks Ruttin
I have to agree with the other posts, everything's fine... Please DON'T "fix it"! Some of the other boards out there have added all the "bells & whistles", and wound up being "slower than molasses" loading. This is one of the few boards I've seen that isn't "over-engineered". I don't post a lot, but read a lot of posts. I don't usually post unless I really have something to add to the discussion. Some of us have still have old-fashioned modem connections and older, slower machines. All the unused extras just add to "load time" and take away from "read time". kg
Hey there's ol'Tex!<P>What, no witty come back to me post above? [Linked Image]<P>Come on dude! You can do better than that! [Linked Image]<P>BTW, JJHack is on the dark continent.<P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>
I don't post alot, but read dang near everything I can. The Campfire has not been nice to my wallet (been real nice to my gun collection), but I really like the posts.<BR>I'm also a techno-dummy, so I think what you have here is good. I can't really suggest any changes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.<BR>Don't fall into the trap of sh**ters.com and fix it 'till its broke.<BR>Just my thoughts...
This set up works for me!<P>------------------<BR>Beware the one-gun man.
I came over from S_itters.com and found a more casual crowd.Sh_tters had a great Handgun section but I found that most posters were kind of snobbish and wouldn't reply unless you were a regular.The Cracker Barrel area is full of a bunch of miscreants.
Rick<P>I like the way this site works and the work you have out into it for us!!! I don't get to even sit back and read the posts much lately so I may have missed a few things and will ask accordingly.<P>1. I haven't noticed a real dedicated "Photo Gallery".<P>2. Did you mention something about a new alternative since Photopoint will be charging soon?<P>3. An "Alaska" board would be neat but not necessary.<P>THANK YOU FOR THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB!!!<P> <P>------------------<BR><B>"The only thing to fear is fear itself"</B>
Hi all:<P>OK, you convinced me on the Alaska forum. I'll slap it up.<P>As to the photo hosting, I presume, since it was posted on e-v-e-r-y forum, that it's safe to refer you all to <A HREF="http://www.hunting-pictures.com." TARGET=_blank>www.hunting-pictures.com.</A> I have no affiliation.<P>As to a photo gallery, I have no problem with that. I just like to see pictures posted kinda all over, but I guess we can still do that anyway. OK, so who thinks a photo gallery is worth a try? Please sound off.<P>And folks, thanks a lot for all the kind words. I'm really glad that everyone is content and that we're making you guys feel at home. It is truly gratifying. Trust me, I don't want to mess with a good thing. I'm just trying to make sure that we don't fall behind or get stagnant.<P>You'll all see a major change in the store soon, with lots of new products and lowered prices. If there is anything you want and don't see, even if you're just window shopping, let me know. I have access to, literally, hundreds of thousands of products, and I just can't get them all, or even most, up on the store. But email me, and I'll try to earn your business.<P>Thanks again for all the kind words. If you want to provide constructive criticism (or just howl at the moon) and feel more comfortable off the Board, my email is open to all of you, all the time. Feel free.<P>Thankee.<P>Rick
Rick<BR>Thanks for the AK forum! Once again you have done everything I coulda, woulda, shoulda asked for.<BR>art<P>------------------<BR>Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
i like this board a lot in it's current forum layout. easy to use, clear, etc... my only suggestion would be a live chat area.<BR>
I hate to throw out negative, with all this positive. I check out this site 1 to 2 times a day. It must be me because I just can't seem to find anything that doesn't look boring. I look at different for forums & open some that have new posts. Then I look at the listed posts. When I do open them, nothing really of interest for me.<BR> I am sure there are plenty of interesting posts for me but I just don't find them. I can't say what changes to this site would be a help for me personally. I will keep checking daily & maybe something will click.
Tronsky, -- ever think about starting a thread that you do like or posting something that is interesting to you and perhaps some of the guys will join you. They may be looking for the same thing you are. That's why this is a campfire, anyone can speak on their subject. It takes all of us to keep the fire going and interesting to everyone. -- no<p>[This message has been edited by need one (edited May 04, 2001).]
Rick,<P>I didn't really have anything to add---for a change LOL---and since I know zilch, zero, nada, about how one of these sites is put together, it is hard for me to be critical or make reasonable suggestions. I, like many here, have visited most of the gun/outdoor related sites and I find yours about as easy or easier than most to navigate. That Ragged Elk could use a replacement every now and then. LOL<P>The only thing I would like, that may or may not be a reasonable addition, would be to be able to search by poster, either in a topic or in general. Sometimes I will read something by someone that doesn't have much significance at that time, and 2 months later, think, aha, I need to read what X person said about that again. And, of course, cannot remember the topic or even section it was under, unless it was obvious.<P>This would just make a great site better, and I want to thank you for the site, and allowing us to behave like adults without a babysitter. Main thing, to me, at least, is, don't make any changes that would slow the site down. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but there are some topics that are used so little that, if you need the space, you might consider consolidating them with another similar topic. Just a thought. Muchas gracias, amigo.
Rick,<P>I have to also say that you are doing a great job. There are two minor changes that would be nice. Both are related to the "Daily Topic" view that allows us to see the topics that have had activity during the current day. <P>1) Could we add a "Number of Replies" and "Last Poster" column to this view? How about changing the data in the last post column to include the time as well as the date?<P>2) Could we get a link that would show us the active topics for more than just the current day? How about one for the last three days? Or week? Or even one that would prompt us for the time period? It doesn't really matter, but if you check in the morning you don't necessarily see the topics that were active last night. <P>Thanks for taking the time to consider my opinion. <P>Stush
I suggest that I be made the Supreme Commander of this board and that a new section be created, entitled "Wade's World".<P>I also think that I should be the site's designated Product Tester. Ric should have various manufacturers send me products to test (and keep).<P>I also suggest that I be made the board's designated Pioneer Hunter. The particpants of the board could all send me $ to go on a specific hunt and I will report back to let everyone know if it was worth it. It would save everyone time and money in the long run and I am willing to make the sacrifice.<P>Other than those minor changes, I think the board is fine the way it is.<P>Sincerely,<P>Wade
Wade's World! Wade's World! Party Time! [Linked Image]
Hey there strangers!!!<P>Sorry to have disappeared lately but I have been busier than a one leggeed man at a butt kicking contest...CO has kept me working about 17 hour days and on the weekend I am in Dallas in a pass or fail class for the promotion I was offered. It will keep me commuting to Dallas every weekend for the next 12 weeks....so I think Mark still lives at the house with the kids, but I will have to go home unannounced to verify that [Linked Image]!<P><BR>Toons
© 24hourcampfire