Home
I heard that Quakers, Muslims, and JW's were exempt from having to buy health insurance under the new law.

Is this true?

Well, I'm not sure its specific to those you listed. From what I have the Indiviual Mandate - when it kicks in does have some Exceptions to the Mandate.
From what I have seen as far as what is on the bill is that it allows an exception for members of an Indian tribe, individuals residing outside the US, unlawful aliens, incarcerated individuals, and individuals with religious objections or who participate in a health care sharing ministry. Not really sure what that last thing is, maybe that refers to JW but I don't know.

But really the whole thing is a cluster anyway once you start digging.
The Amish also I believe. And I heard today that CONGRESS losses their fed plan and have to go with the CITIZENS plan. I hope that is true.
Amish sure - it would qualify under the religious exception, I suppose so would a Hari Krishna or a Scientologist or anyone of a dozen others.
And yah looks like shoddy work in crafting this POS bill may have caused a snafu for Congress and their coverage, but I'm sure they will "fix" it right away so as not to have what us peasants have:)
Originally Posted by T LEE
The Amish also I believe. And I heard today that CONGRESS losses their fed plan and have to go with the CITIZENS plan. I hope that is true.

I believe this is true. In fact, they lose the plan altogether now and it doesn't go into effect until 2014. Stay tuned for some additional "change" to the plan.
Maybe it was the Amish instead of the Quakers. Thanks for the replys.

I'm going to put Amish for my religion... when the census person shows up.
Originally Posted by T LEE
And I heard today that CONGRESS losses their fed plan and have to go with the CITIZENS plan.

That is so funny.
Truly a case of [bleep] the details..... full speed ahead, come back to bite the perpetrators in the butt. RustyL
Charles Grassley from Iowa snuck in the provision that congress has to enroll in the new health care program that starts in 2014. But their benefits end this year. Some of the talking heads on FOX mentioned it today so there must be something to it. I can see Chuck sneaking this in. He's trying to prove a point about congress reading the bill and I guess he made it. Go Chuck Go. kwg
One of teh other things buried in teh bill is the limitation on OTC drugs beginning 1/1/11 and teh reduction in teh FSA to 2500 in 2013. Basically, the amount we can use pretax through and FSA will be cut in half. Thus allowing for the monies to be taxed and our healthcare costs to go up
I have the actual bill posted on my webpage, so you are all welcome to read it yourselves and seperate fact from fiction. Lot's of the news out there even from our favorite trusted sources is not exactly accurate. I'd encourage you to take some time (not all at once since it's mamoth and you really need to digest what you read) and read it. It's your health, your life, you may want to know what the Government is doing to it, before they do it.....
© 24hourcampfire