Home
Sunday, someone burgled my daughter and SIL's house while they were at church. Got her computer, camera, tax returns, kids library cards, and all their house keys. Last night, they came back to try the house keys. That was futile, because by Monday morning SIL had all the locks re-keyed. Still, both of the back door latches were pitifully flimsy.

SIL has been working like a dog the past few weeks, with no time to do more than eat, work, and sleep.

So I took off work this afternoon and installed new heavy duty deadbolts on both back doors, picked up a small safe at Harbor Freight, and installed my wife's .38 in the safe.

For oh.... how many years?...I have been encouraging her to get her concealed carry permit. She now realizes that she was defenseless, and she accepted cash enough to cover a concealed carry class.

Apparently the same burglary team has hit three other nearby homes. The police have a physical description of the burglars and their car, and there is evidence that they are meth heads. I suppose that they will quickly end up in jail... unless some homeowner solves the problem first. Burglary is a dangerous profession in this state.
Man, the fact they came back would convince even a liberal to rethink a CCW.

Would be good to see the problem taken care of. Glad your family was not harmed.
Its crazy that they came back. They wont be healthy and on the loose for too long while operating like that. I am glad your family was not home at the time!
I have not seen the momma bear side of my daughter quite so strongly before. It is very sweet. smile
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Would be good to see the problem taken care of. Glad your family was not harmed.

yeah, I am glad your family was not harmed...
and hope that they will not be harmed in the future..

and also hope these methhead break into some old grandpa's house, who they don't suspect in being their, but he is hiding with his 12 gauge.. and uses it..
Yep!

Glad everybody is safe Denton.

Why would anybody need a CCW for a gun in the home? Or to carry in the vehicle when they get out of the car in the driveway?

Casey
Glad an important life lesson was learned with no one injured.
SO glade all are safe. I don't know what state your in but here in Oregon ccw is not needed for home defence. I hope these low life scummes walk into the home of a combat vet and learn thier last lesson.
Originally Posted by Big_Papa
SO glade all are safe. I don't know what state your in but here in Oregon ccw is not needed for home defence. I hope these low life scummes walk into the home of a combat vet and learn thier last lesson.

yeah, but the down side is if you waste a criminal in your home, who was still attempting to rob or even harm your family, the state will still charge you with man slaughter at a minimum, and can charge you with murder..

our Potland liberals still are more in favor of the rights of the criminals than they are in the rights of the citizen..
Originally Posted by Seafire

yeah, but the down side is if you waste a criminal in your home, who was still attempting to rob or even harm your family, the state will still charge you with man slaughter at a minimum, and can charge you with murder..

our Potland liberals still are more in favor of the rights of the criminals than they are in the rights of the citizen..

And I thought we had it bad here in Calif... At least here we can still use deadly force in our own homes in legitimate self defense. It boggles the mind that Oregon won't allow that.
Glad to hear your daugher and SIL were not hurt.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

And I thought we had it bad here in Calif... At least here we can still use deadly force in our own homes in legitimate self defense. It boggles the mind that Oregon won't allow that.
We can't here in TAX HELL WISCONSIN either, for the most part.. A 'castle doctrine' bill has been introduced but not acted upon yet, as far as I can determine.. I.e., we still 'allegedly' have a 'duty to retreat' before lethal force can be used..

Nice huh? Maybe I'm lucky.. The cops in my area have basically told me not to worry about that particular little item.. I just hope I don't have to find out for sure, the hard way..

Glad to hear your relatives are ok, Denton.. I wish them the best..
I'm glad your daughter and family are safe.

The legal issues with home defense are worrisome. Iowa has no castle law, and I have read that state law does not require a homeowner's insurance company to pay for legal defense in the event of a lawsuit over a self-defense shooting.

I understand that the legislature recently passed an improved CCW law, but my first priority would be a decent castle law. Better yet, both. A person should not have to risk prison or financial ruin for exercising a basic right of self defense against someone who has decided to be a predator.

Paul
Paul, very well stated. That concise statement needs to be put to our legislators. Best, John
Surely glad your girl and SIL were not harmed.
I don't know Utah law so no comment but am equally glad to know the ladies are thinking a bit more rationally about guns in the house.

BCR
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

Well you come north of Hilt CA, you will find that liberals in both Washington and Oregon are busy trying to 'out liberal' CA ( or more correctly, the Bay Area and LA.. where most of these transplants seem to come from...)

Of course these dumb laws like this, is why I think that we seem to get reports in the police section of the local paper, that a 'decayed body was found' off the side of some forest service road in the middle of nowhere....

our county has a whole lot of 'out in the middle of nowhere'...

It isn't rare for them to come back... just a little soon. Normally they'll wait until they think you've replaced the items that were stolen. (Hint, don't leave the boxes from the new items visable in the trash wink )

Denton good to hear everyone is safe and they saw the light. Took a situation to convince my wife guns are good.
Originally Posted by denton
...library cards...

Ah, White Crime.
glad everyone is safe Denton!

Seafire: in UT, any unauthorized entry into the home justification for lethal force. Also in UT, shootees and their kin are statutorily barred from seeking recourse in civil court.
It's a bummer it's not that way everywhere.
Denton, glad everyone is ok, Good job on beefing up security at their house, things are only going to get worse with the unemployment rates sky rocketing and crappy economy!
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
glad everyone is safe Denton!

Seafire: in UT, any unauthorized entry into the home justification for lethal force. Also in UT, shootees and their kin are statutorily barred from seeking recourse in civil court.
It's a bummer it's not that way everywhere.

Matt,
That is good to hear!

Denton,
I am glad your family is safe.
Utah is turning in to a finer place,indeedy.
With their more positive approach to self defense laws.
Their view on DUI.
But like everywhere there are a few azhats that open their mouth
with out consulting their brain.
Example, Police Chiefs, Orin Hatch etc.
Spend a lot of time in Utah and it is a beautiful State.
And you can shoot coyotes, and other critters without a license. Good Place!
Charlie
I have not seen the momma bear side of my daughter quite so strongly before. It is very sweet. smile

you know the saying..... don't get between mama bear and her cubs.

I'm glad your family is safe.

As UtahLefty said, we have extremely good gun laws here in Utah. It's OK to have a loaded gun in your home or in your yard, or your car. There is no duty to retreat. Basically anybody who breaks into your home is considered to be up to no good, and subject to having their birth certificate revoked, no permit needed.

The concealed carry permit isn't necessary for home and car use, but she's gone from tolerating SIL's guns to wanting to be able to pack heat. SIL is a happy camper.

Without a permit, having a gun in the car as you drop the kids off at school is a federal felony. With the permit, she can put it in her purse and stroll right in the front door of the school.

And, of course, the permit will waive the background check fee when she gets past borrowing my wife's .38.

My 5'-2" wife keeps a kid-size baseball bat next to the bed. I thought that was kinda amusing until I considered her getting one free shot at my noggin in a dark room and then a few follow-ups. Bad guys beware - it might be better if my wife just shoots you.
12ga with #4 buck would work better than a 38 IMO, but baby step are ok in this situation I guess. smile

Glad they are ok.

Glad to know all are okay Denton, sorry she had to learn this way though. frown
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Not a lot of Neo-Lib Progressives I know.

Regarding self defense when discussing it with them, a number have said to me that they could not ever raise a hand for any reason to defend themselves or family against violent criminals. They being so morally superior to all us knuckle dragging worker peasant rabble, don't you know. And they firmly believe you and I should follow suit.

L.W.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Not a lot of Neo-Lib Progressives I know.

Regarding self defense when discussing it with them, a number have said to me that they could not ever raise a hand for any reason to defend themselves or family against violent criminals. They being so morally superior to all us knuckle dragging worker peasant rabble, don't you know. And they firmly believe you and I should follow suit.

L.W.

Leanwolf is correct, a good libatard believes that if the gun control laws are strict enough the bad guys won't bring a weapon with them.
my home (in the country) was also a victim of thieves when the wife and i were gone. the thieves kicked in a back door, spent some time in the home, then left. the investigator told me they were just casing the house and would likely return in a few weeks (after we had a new door installed) to take everything they wanted. 2-3 days after the break-in i have a security company there installing about 6k worth of sensors and cameras. i have a ccw and the wife can shoot too. however, a gun wouldn't have changed a thing unless we were armed and came home while the thieves were there. glad your daughter sees the value in a firearm though.
My friend who is a security expert suggested one simple thing that I'm going to do to my house and probably to my daughter's house.

There is a little free space in the track above a sliding window so that you can lift the window out of the track. If you put 2-3 round head or fillister head screws in the upper track, the screw head prevents the window from being lifted out, but the window will still slide.
There is a little free space in the track above a sliding window so that you can lift the window out of the track. If you put 2-3 round head or fillister head screws in the upper track, the screw head prevents the window from being lifted out, but the window will still slide.

Yes, that is a good idea for slide-by windows. If it has robust latch, there is no need because the latch will prevent the window from being tilted out and removed. But aluminum windows often have a fairly weak latch, and as they get older don't always latch securely in the first place.

Casey
Go to the ORS.codes for Oregon and look up the use of deadly force. Don't read into it just read it for what it says. I know the libs in Oregon are out of control but I would rather face a judge then burie a loved one.
OR is not a Castle Doctrine state -- in OR you are expected to "flee" or "lock yourself in a closet". frown

OR also seems to use the "reasonable person" clause, whereby your actions are judged by "what a reasonable person might do in a similar situation". Trouble is, the people who would be passing judgment on you haven't ever been in such a situation to have any clue how it might feel.

in Castle Doctrine states, the "reasonable person" bunk doesn't apply. It doesn't matter what anyone else might think, if YOU felt threatened that's all that matters. If you say it was a threat, then it was.
© 24hourcampfire