Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
glad everyone is safe Denton!

Seafire: in UT, any unauthorized entry into the home justification for lethal force. Also in UT, shootees and their kin are statutorily barred from seeking recourse in civil court.
It's a bummer it's not that way everywhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Denton, glad everyone is ok, Good job on beefing up security at their house, things are only going to get worse with the unemployment rates sky rocketing and crappy economy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
glad everyone is safe Denton!

Seafire: in UT, any unauthorized entry into the home justification for lethal force. Also in UT, shootees and their kin are statutorily barred from seeking recourse in civil court.
It's a bummer it's not that way everywhere.

Matt,
That is good to hear!

Denton,
I am glad your family is safe.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Utah is turning in to a finer place,indeedy.
With their more positive approach to self defense laws.
Their view on DUI.
But like everywhere there are a few azhats that open their mouth
with out consulting their brain.
Example, Police Chiefs, Orin Hatch etc.
Spend a lot of time in Utah and it is a beautiful State.
And you can shoot coyotes, and other critters without a license. Good Place!
Charlie

If Ignorance is bliss, then why aren't there more
happy people
If The gun was in the hands of the victim,there would be no
murders,robberies or rapes.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by denton
I have not seen the momma bear side of my daughter quite so strongly before. It is very sweet. smile

you know the saying..... don't get between mama bear and her cubs.

I'm glad your family is safe.

Last edited by tzone; 04/16/10.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
As UtahLefty said, we have extremely good gun laws here in Utah. It's OK to have a loaded gun in your home or in your yard, or your car. There is no duty to retreat. Basically anybody who breaks into your home is considered to be up to no good, and subject to having their birth certificate revoked, no permit needed.

The concealed carry permit isn't necessary for home and car use, but she's gone from tolerating SIL's guns to wanting to be able to pack heat. SIL is a happy camper.

Without a permit, having a gun in the car as you drop the kids off at school is a federal felony. With the permit, she can put it in her purse and stroll right in the front door of the school.

And, of course, the permit will waive the background check fee when she gets past borrowing my wife's .38.

Be not weary in well doing.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not seen the momma bear side of my daughter quite so strongly before. It is very sweet. smile

My 5'-2" wife keeps a kid-size baseball bat next to the bed. I thought that was kinda amusing until I considered her getting one free shot at my noggin in a dark room and then a few follow-ups. Bad guys beware - it might be better if my wife just shoots you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
12ga with #4 buck would work better than a 38 IMO, but baby step are ok in this situation I guess. smile

Glad they are ok.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad to know all are okay Denton, sorry she had to learn this way though. frown

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Man, the fact they came back would convince even a liberal to rethink a CCW.

Not a lot of Neo-Lib Progressives I know.

Regarding self defense when discussing it with them, a number have said to me that they could not ever raise a hand for any reason to defend themselves or family against violent criminals. They being so morally superior to all us knuckle dragging worker peasant rabble, don't you know. And they firmly believe you and I should follow suit.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Man, the fact they came back would convince even a liberal to rethink a CCW.

Not a lot of Neo-Lib Progressives I know.

Regarding self defense when discussing it with them, a number have said to me that they could not ever raise a hand for any reason to defend themselves or family against violent criminals. They being so morally superior to all us knuckle dragging worker peasant rabble, don't you know. And they firmly believe you and I should follow suit.

L.W.

Leanwolf is correct, a good libatard believes that if the gun control laws are strict enough the bad guys won't bring a weapon with them.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
my home (in the country) was also a victim of thieves when the wife and i were gone. the thieves kicked in a back door, spent some time in the home, then left. the investigator told me they were just casing the house and would likely return in a few weeks (after we had a new door installed) to take everything they wanted. 2-3 days after the break-in i have a security company there installing about 6k worth of sensors and cameras. i have a ccw and the wife can shoot too. however, a gun wouldn't have changed a thing unless we were armed and came home while the thieves were there. glad your daughter sees the value in a firearm though.

D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My friend who is a security expert suggested one simple thing that I'm going to do to my house and probably to my daughter's house.

There is a little free space in the track above a sliding window so that you can lift the window out of the track. If you put 2-3 round head or fillister head screws in the upper track, the screw head prevents the window from being lifted out, but the window will still slide.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
There is a little free space in the track above a sliding window so that you can lift the window out of the track. If you put 2-3 round head or fillister head screws in the upper track, the screw head prevents the window from being lifted out, but the window will still slide.

Yes, that is a good idea for slide-by windows. If it has robust latch, there is no need because the latch will prevent the window from being tilted out and removed. But aluminum windows often have a fairly weak latch, and as they get older don't always latch securely in the first place.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Go to the ORS.codes for Oregon and look up the use of deadly force. Don't read into it just read it for what it says. I know the libs in Oregon are out of control but I would rather face a judge then burie a loved one.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
OR is not a Castle Doctrine state -- in OR you are expected to "flee" or "lock yourself in a closet". frown

OR also seems to use the "reasonable person" clause, whereby your actions are judged by "what a reasonable person might do in a similar situation". Trouble is, the people who would be passing judgment on you haven't ever been in such a situation to have any clue how it might feel.

in Castle Doctrine states, the "reasonable person" bunk doesn't apply. It doesn't matter what anyone else might think, if YOU felt threatened that's all that matters. If you say it was a threat, then it was.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,775
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.