Home
Went out this morning to the local club to participate in .22 silhouette. They were having their club championship for the year but it was open to anybody.

They shoot two matches, a 100 yard with targets at 40-50-75-100 and a 200 yard match with chickens-pigs-turkeys-rams at 50-100-150-200 respectively.

Used my new, box stock 10-22 Tactical with a SWFA SS10X42 scope for the 200 yard shooting. Had just gotten this scope Friday afternoon after waiting 6 weeks and had one day to sight it in. MontanaMarine had recommended this particular scope to me and it was a really good call. Big thanks to Shane for that. More on that here: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4291991#Post4291991

I used to shoot .22 silhouette at 100 yards but the last time I did that was 1998. Have never shot a .22 at 200 yards, in fact the whole reason I got the scope was to learn the basics of long range plinking, come ups and mil dots and all that fun stuff. Went out completely cold this morning, just figured to have some fun.

To make a long story short, I tied for 2nd place in the 200 yard match with a rifle/scope combo I'd had for one day. To make matters better I won the 100 yard match outright.

Was tied for Overall Agg Match winner so we had a shoot off on the chickens. We both hit 3/5, reloaded and went into sudden death. He hit, I hit, he missed, I missed, he missed, I hit.

Overall Aggregate Match Winner. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? wink

I don't think David Tubbs need look over his shoulder just yet, but all in all it was a good day. grin
Posted By: Waders Re: FNG wins the shooting match - 08/02/10
No surprises here! You are, after all, a prior Poatal Match Champion!!!!!!
Posted By: Waders Re: FNG wins the shooting match - 08/02/10
BTW--Congrats!
Congratulations! Sounds like fun.
Posted By: okie Re: FNG wins the shooting match - 08/02/10
Showed up and shot their lips off...Cool!
Congrats.
nice work, how much was the scope you used?
Good on you! I love it when someone comes to a club cold turkey and takes the cake.

BTDT a time or two and get a kick out of pizzing the local hero off.

David
Posted By: 4xbear Re: FNG wins the shooting match - 08/02/10
Nicely Done! Bear
Congratulations, Jim. Was the match at Black's Creek Range?

L.W.
Thanks, everybody. I don't usually toot my own horn but today was a pleasant surprise. Nice to know you can still squeeze a trigger.

Leanwolf, yes, it was at Black's Creek. Not an official NRA sanctioned match but that's okay with me. Also met a bunch of good guys and maybe made a couple new friends so that's always a plus.

Ironeagle 84, the scope was right at $300 - it's this one:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx

I had wanted a good fixed power "tactical" scope to learn on but didn't want to spend too much, particularly since it was to go on a .22 rifle. But I'm liking this one a lot. There's certainly better stuff out there for more bucks, but the optics on this are very clear and the clicks so far as I've tried are extremely repeatable. Very user friendly and a real good value.

They make several different models of this from $300 up through $800 in 3-9, 6X, 10X 16X and 20X. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx
© 24hourcampfire