Home
Posted By: ltppowell . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
I get it. It sucks. I have been tested twice and my uric acid level is fine, so I can't take any of the preventatives. It happens every September after getting really dehydrated and boozing it up for a couple weekends(Rememember my last health issue post?). It hurts so bad I couldn't bow hunt this weekend. I had to come home and go fishing instead.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mathman Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
It happens every September after getting really dehydrated and boozing it up for a couple weekends

Preventable or not? grin
Posted By: T LEE Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
I only had it once, ONE time too many! You have my heartfelt sympathy Sir.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
OUCH! Looks painful, hope it clears up quick
Posted By: ltppowell Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Originally Posted by mathman
It happens every September after getting really dehydrated and boozing it up for a couple weekends

Preventable or not? grin

Hard to say. It's the same as kidney stones, but manifests itself differently in some people...needle-like crystals of uric acid in the extremities. I'm told if I would drink nothing but water and eat nothing but carrots and broccoli it wouldn't occur.

Posted By: Steve_NO Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm told if I would drink nothing but water and eat nothing but carrots and broccoli it wouldn't occur.

yeah, and sucking a Glocksicle would cure it, too.....but WTF?

Posted By: Violator22 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Coor Light and Collards, same thing as Broccoli and water...right?
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
good lord Pat, hate it for ya man.

guess if giving up alcohol is the answer I'd have to settle for some sore feet

I can't imagine hanging with Scott, Bob, Bart and many of the regular players here w/out self medicating

am thinking that'd hurt just about as bad as the gout!
Posted By: arkypete Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
I've got two friends that have gout. They found that drinking black cherry juice keeps it at bey. They drink the black cherry juice and they don't have gout. They skip for one week and they are hobbling around.

Jim
Posted By: mathman Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
I'm told if I would drink nothing but water and eat nothing but carrots and broccoli it wouldn't occur.

Blech! Not preventable then.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
guy i use to work with died of a infection he got as a result of gout.
It can be fatal, too.....after a few cognacs a man with a bad case of gout could just tip over into a campfire. Just sayin'
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
BTDT, and living on Allopurinol every day. Haven't had a flare-up in three years, and I'm grateful to the rheumatologist who's been helping me keep it in check. If you think the damned toe is bad, try getting it in the wrist, or the knee........... I've had it in all three places, and it'll make you wish you could just amputate the thing.

It's in check now, thankfully, but I'm sure careful NOT to eat mushrooms, shellfish and other seafoods that can set it off, too. Start cutting back on RED meat and hit the White meat more. It helps a little.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Cherry Juice = end of gout.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Suck it up...
Posted By: Steelhead Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Damn, you beat me to it by 1 minute.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
If the uric acid is normal, it ain't gout, I was told.

I had a problem with my left ankle/achilles a couple years ago, that was extremely painful, swollen, and hot, where I could barely walk on it. Everyone was convinced I had gout, but the uric acid tests were negative - the doc was so surprised he repeated the test, and it came back negative again. He gave me indomethicin, a very strong NSAID, it got better in a couple days, and was healed in a week.

Some months later, I was working in the pickup bed, and just stepped off the tail gate, dropping the 3 feet to the ground. I thought about it at the time, and wondered if it might aggravate my achilles. It did - about five days later I was in agony again, and taking the indomethicin again - and it worked. Thinking back, I think that's how I hurt it the first time.

I have since refrained from jumping off my tailgate, and I haven't had the problem again. I guess short old engineers aren't as nimble as they think they are...grin

If you take the strong NSAID - follow the instructions carefully - eat something, take the pill, eat more. It is very hard on your stomach otherwise. I confess I also am getting better about eating veggies and fruits - I actually am having beef & brocolli as I type this...

Good Luck!
Posted By: 700LH Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Ouch! That doesn't like fun.
Hope you get better soon.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Suck it up...

I do, but I had to make sure you realize how badass I am.
Posted By: Stan V Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Had it twice and the second time I took the allopurinal, no attacks in 2+ years. And you can get gout with normal uric acid readings...I did.

Hurts, don't it? (smiley face!)
Posted By: Gadfly Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If the uric acid is normal, it ain't gout, I was told.

I had a problem with my left ankle/achilles a couple years ago, that was extremely painful, swollen, and hot, where I could barely walk on it. Everyone was convinced I had gout, but the uric acid tests were negative - the doc was so surprised he repeated the test, and it came back negative again. He gave me indomethicin, a very strong NSAID, it got better in a couple days, and was healed in a week.

Some months later, I was working in the pickup bed, and just stepped off the tail gate, dropping the 3 feet to the ground. I thought about it at the time, and wondered if it might aggravate my achilles. It did - about five days later I was in agony again, and taking the indomethicin again - and it worked. Thinking back, I think that's how I hurt it the first time.

I have since refrained from jumping off my tailgate, and I haven't had the problem again. I guess short old engineers aren't as nimble as they think they are...grin

If you take the strong NSAID - follow the instructions carefully - eat something, take the pill, eat more. It is very hard on your stomach otherwise. I confess I also am getting better about eating veggies and fruits - I actually am having beef & brocolli as I type this...

Good Luck!

Interesting. I had to have a broken tibia surgically re-sectioned last year. There were complications (bone infection) and the leg would swell severely. Every time I had severe swelling, I developed gout-like symptoms on the foot on the injured leg.

I never got tested for uric acid, but started taking Colchicine anyway. After taking 4 pills a day for a couple of days, the symptoms disappeared.

I still have occasional bouts of swelling in my leg, usually accompanied by the onset of the gout-like symptoms. A couple of doses of the Colchicine usually nips it in the bud.

Pat- Have you tried any of the medications, or are you just assuming that they won't work because your Uric acid tests came back negative?
Posted By: tbear Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
I have had several flare ups & currently Allopurinol solves the problem. I had a customer that had acute gout & drank like a fish. Refused to take meds on a regular basis. Finally his gout affected his Johnson & I'm told (no first hand evidence) that he almost died. He stopped drinking after this.
Suck it up...

If you were a real badass....you'd beat the hell out of that toe with nunchuks. And then taser it. Then eat a T bone and drink a bottle of red.

Cowboy up there, LT.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/18/10
Damn Pat that looks painful. Hope you feel better quick buddy.
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Have had it before, it sucks. Lose weight, drink lots of water and watch what you eat. Been in check for 6 years now with no meds.
Posted By: shreck Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
I have NO idea what sets me off. Hasn't happened for about five years.
I do know it's the worst pain I have ever felt.
Posted By: azcoues Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
nine times out of ten it is a change in diet - something you ate or drank -

Posted By: Crow hunter Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
I get it. It sucks. I have been tested twice and my uric acid level is fine, so I can't take any of the preventatives....

Get rid of your Doc and find one who'll treat you properly. You don't have to have high uric acid level tests to have gout. You don't need to test high for them to put you on allopurinol. Find a doctor that'll give you indomethacin and colchicine to get rid of the short term effects and allopurinol for long term control. I started getting it in my big toe about 8 years ago, I controlled it with colchicine and indomethacin until a year ago when I couldn't take the twice a month episodes and the diaherra from the colchicine so I went to my doc and told him I wanted to be put on allipurinol. He put me on it without hesitation, no tests or anything. A year later and I haven't had it hit in a while. It's WONDERFUL not having to deal with that stuff every couple of weeks, it was ruining my life.

It's only going to get worse if you don't do something about it. I've got a friend thats got arthritis in most of the joints of his legs because he didn't control his gout. It will do long term damage if you don't control it. Find a competent doctor that will put you on the proper medicine. There's no excuse for them not treating it, it's not like the drugs are narcotics.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Originally Posted by arkypete
I've got two friends that have gout. They found that drinking black cherry juice keeps it at bey. They drink the black cherry juice and they don't have gout. They skip for one week and they are hobbling around.

Jim

Yep, same with 2 friends of mine and one of them claims that the cranberry extract pills in the pharmacy section of Wal-Mart helps just as well as the juice does and is a lot cheaper. ymmv.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Suck it up...

If you were a real badass....you'd beat the hell out of that toe with nunchuks. And then taser it. Then eat a T bone and drink a bottle of red.

Cowboy up there, LT.
Damn Steve... That hurts just reading it...
Posted By: Dimebox Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Dried cherries as well as black cherry juice. Never tried the juice but the dried cherries worked very quickly/well for me. My foot didn't look anywhere near as bad as your's though.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Originally Posted by Dimebox
My foot didn't look anywhere near as bad as your's though.

Pat ain't much for wearing shoes... smile
Posted By: eh76 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
I get it. It sucks. I have been tested twice and my uric acid level is fine, so I can't take any of the preventatives. It happens every September after getting really dehydrated and boozing it up for a couple weekends(Rememember my last health issue post?). It hurts so bad I couldn't bow hunt this weekend. I had to come home and go fishing instead.

[Linked Image]

Must be the low altitude....didn't get it after spending a weekend at 9000 ft did you?
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Get the cherry juice! I been taking it for a couple years.
I woke up one day,felt like my toe joint was full of needles.Hobbled around for a couple days ,till my boss sent me to his podiatrist.He gave me indomethicin,pain was gone the next day.
Posted By: norm99 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
cure

take 4 lb hammer hit left thumb hard ,forget about foot grin
Posted By: TBaker5390 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
could keep drinkin...eventually it will stop hurting...
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Plenty of other folks have said it, but I will too.
The cherry juice will work wonders for you Pat. My mom has had crippling gout and the cherry juice has been amazing. She drink a small juice glass of it every day, and it damned sure keeps the pain away.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
I feel for you. Right now the wifey is fighting some damm thing that is wrong with her heel. I can't pronounce it. Guess it's pretty common. My Aunt said she'd had it too.
Posted By: rifletom Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Feel for ya itppowell;
Have had it four times, sucks!, feels like a damn red hot 10 penny being hammered into your foot!
Berry juice or Allopurinol generally KO's it.
Shrimp[any shell-fish] kicks my ass, don't eat it AT ALL!
Hope you get better.
Posted By: slip_sinker Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10

[Linked Image]

Which one has it?

grin
Posted By: Buckaroo Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Just in case nobody has told you this: You have to begin taking better care of yourself as you age, and quit abusing yourself.

Watch your food intake (lay off the red meat, bacon, ham and shellfish-including shrimp) and your fluid intake. Do not let yourself become dehydrated.

Introduce cherry juice and cranberry juice into your diet. Drink some every other day or so. Doc told me a few years ago to stop doing stupid things and watch my diet. As long as I mostly behave I am good to go. When I backslide too much I get a little reminder.

There are just a whole lot of things that nobody told us about when we were 22 years old. Of course, we had other things on our minds back then, and we were still bulletproof.
Posted By: g5m Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
See above. And, stay away from soft organ meats, like sandwich meats, sausages and such.
Posted By: isaac Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Some call it a rich man's dilemma,Pat. Hope that gives you some comfort. At least it isn't a STD or rickets and you're not scheduled for "Dancing with The Stars"

Please don't make your famous Gumbo with turkey sausage.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
There is a new drug on the market called Uloric that really does lower your uric acid level to normal ranges. It really works. Indomethacin and Colchicine are your friend when you have an attack. Sounds like you need a new doctor.

Also there is a form of gout called pseudo-gout that is not based on uric acid but some type of calcium compound. Same symptoms but different causes. You should be tested for that if your uric acid levels are normal.

And if your flare ups are frequent enough you will make life style changes. I have not had an attack in over a year because I lost weight and watch my diet. My main trigger is aspartame. And it is in everything.
Posted By: milespatton Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
The cherry juice will work wonders for you Pat.

I have a friend that the cherry juice gives him a headache so bad he can't use it. Works on the gout but gives him bad headaches. miles
Posted By: Stan V Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Cherry juice didn't work for me.....you gout sufferers need to start thinking allopurinol.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Suck it up...

Cowboy up there, LT.

The taser helped, but only for five seconds or so, but I guess I'm not that bad...I can't bring myself to drink wine.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
This is a true story.

My father in law has it and sleeps with a bar of soap under the covers.

He swears it works. LOL.

One morning he got up and was complaining about his gout and I asked if the soap had stopped working. wink

He said, "It must have fell out of the bed last night because I found it on the floor this morning when I got up, that's why it's hurting." cry
Posted By: 30338 Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
I have had it twice. Very bad. Both times after long weekends of budweiser. Switched to Miller products and not nearly as bad. Of course I also had kidney stones earlier this year, that was worse and probably related. There are some meds that really helped me through the last episode and I would recommend seeing a doc if you haven't.

Very painful and hope yours clears up soon.
Posted By: crawfish Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Been dealing with gout since 1989. Had my first (right big toe) New Year's Eve. That was also the first I threatened a doctor. Told her if she touched my toe I would snap her neck like a twig.
I took Allopurinol for a bunch of years but finally stopped this January. Now I just control it with diet. That means lay off the red meat (no more that once a week), red wine (no more that 4oz a day), most beans and legumes are treated like red meat, nuts, processed meats (because of nitrates/nitrides), dark green veggies, (collards, kale, spinach, broccoli) and chocolate. I still eat these things just have to keep track so I don't do to many at once. The biggest no no for me now is organ meat, none at all liver, heart or kidneys. BTY the only sure way to check uric acid levels is to take a 24 hour liquid in, pee is a big bottle test. Tracks how much you take in to how much you put out and there is a measured amount of some sort of powder in the bottle. After the 24 hours the test is run to see if you are making an abnormal amount of uric acid or not passing enough of what you make. I my case I'm a super excreter. I make allot so I have to make sure to stay away from my triggers and drink at least 64oz of water every day. You may be someone who doesn't pass alto and can control it with 8 8s a day. GOUT is no fun. If you have never had it you can't begin to imagine how bad it hurts
Posted By: GregW Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Pat,

Maybe not drink as much? grin...
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
This has turned in to one h*ll of a pity party, ain't it?
Posted By: doubletap Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
Originally Posted by GregW
Pat,

Maybe not drink as much? grin...

Maybe drink more. Won't cure it but will make you not care.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
I think I've narrowed the largest contributing factor down to dehydration, as I always get it around the end of September, just in time for bow season. It will bounce around between joints until Christmas or so, then I won't have it again until next September. The only thing I do different at that time is spend a lot of time in the woods preparing for deer season, while it's 105 degrees.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: . "The Gout" - 10/19/10
It sounds like you need a move to a more hospitable climate, at least during the months of September and October.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: . "The Gout" - 10/20/10
Well, I now have two types of steroids and about a thousand Indomethacin. At least I know I'll feel better 'till the 'roids wear off. Forgive me if I start raging.
Posted By: deflave Re: . "The Gout" - 10/20/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Damn, you beat me to it by 1 minute.

That's what she said...

Travis
Posted By: whipholt_wahoo Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10
Originally Posted by Stan V
Cherry juice didn't work for me.....you gout sufferers need to start thinking allopurinol.
Its not supposed to be a cure,more like a preventative.Take a little everyday,it doesnt come back.
Posted By: Stan V Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by Stan V
Its not supposed to be a cure,more like a preventative.Take a little everyday,it doesnt come back.

Ah, not for me....
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10
crawfish,

The latest research on gout indicates a lot of the former "bad stuff " is OK, including red wine, deep green veggies, etc.

The assumption always was that foods high in purines added to the purine level in the blood, part of what causes gout. But the latest research indicates that the purines in some stuff (including wine and dark-green veggies) don't raise purines in the blood of most humans.

In fact wine has almost no effect, especially white wine--but red also has very little effect, except for the dehydration.
Same deal with dark green veggies, unless you cook 'em with sausage or bacon.

Dark beer is bad, light beer not so much--unless of course you drink so much that it dehydrates. Hard liquor is sort of medium, though the clearer the better.

I had my first and only attack (right big toe, typical) six months ago and did a bunch of research. God, it hurts! Haven't had one since. My diet was already pretty good--98% game meat, low fat, not much processed at all. Have lost about 15 pounds and don't drink as much, especially dark beer and whiskey, and make sure to drink plenty of water.

But we all have different metabolisms.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10
One thing, for sure, there is more of it, at least around here. I never even heard of it until I got it four years ago. There were FOUR guys just like me at the doctors office. I've never seen anything like it and can't find a common denominator.
Posted By: olblue Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10

FWIW Several years ago A pard of mine had Gout pretty bad and my German mother in law got him started on raw potato juice and it gave him tremendous relief. --- Mel
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10
about a thousand Indomethacin.

Wish he'd given me that many smile

that stuff worked great for me, but is hard on the stomach. Eat something, take the pill, eat more.
Posted By: WranglerJohn Re: . "The Gout" - 10/21/10
I've had gout since I was twenty-something years old back in the 1960's. It's genetic, a person either has the predisposition or not.

Attempting to control it with diet means not eating organ meats, red meat, drinking beer, eating certain seafood, vegetables, cereals or anything high in purine or pyrimidine (both constituents of DNA and RNA so they're in dang near everything we eat). Still, diet isn't the cause of gout, not is it a cure. Home remedies are of little value. The cause is that some people either produce too much uric acid or have kidneys that can't eliminate it properly.

While a test for uric acid may point to gout, it's just as likely that the blood concentration may appear normal because uric acid has crystallized in the joints where blood tests can't detect it. My physician has gout, and he has had flare ups without a high blood serum level. One sure test is to treat for gout with uricosurics or xanthine oxidase inhibitors as a diagnostic. If the symptoms disappear, then it's gout.

Unfortunately, I proved to be allergic to most gout medicines including allopurinol. Currently I manage it with ColBenemid (Probenecid and colchicine combination) and Naproxen. In the past I used Anturane but developed a sensitivity to it over time. All these drugs have serious side effects that can be dangerous.

ColBenemid intensifies and prolongs general anesthesia (and other drugs) so I stopped it prior to surgery. My toe became so painful that I had to have it injected with steroids just to walk into the hospital. Indomethacin causes me such severe vertigo I can't take it either, but Naproxen has proven to be the safest of the NSAID's.

The new drug Uloric seems promising as it's more compatible with the NSAID's such as Naproxen and not as hard on the kidneys. My physician monitors my kidney and liver function with blood tests every three months, something highly recommended when on any chemotherapy.

As my 94 year old friend said, "Screw the Golden Years." Amen.

© 24hourcampfire