Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
If the uric acid is normal, it ain't gout, I was told.

I had a problem with my left ankle/achilles a couple years ago, that was extremely painful, swollen, and hot, where I could barely walk on it. Everyone was convinced I had gout, but the uric acid tests were negative - the doc was so surprised he repeated the test, and it came back negative again. He gave me indomethicin, a very strong NSAID, it got better in a couple days, and was healed in a week.

Some months later, I was working in the pickup bed, and just stepped off the tail gate, dropping the 3 feet to the ground. I thought about it at the time, and wondered if it might aggravate my achilles. It did - about five days later I was in agony again, and taking the indomethicin again - and it worked. Thinking back, I think that's how I hurt it the first time.

I have since refrained from jumping off my tailgate, and I haven't had the problem again. I guess short old engineers aren't as nimble as they think they are...grin

If you take the strong NSAID - follow the instructions carefully - eat something, take the pill, eat more. It is very hard on your stomach otherwise. I confess I also am getting better about eating veggies and fruits - I actually am having beef & brocolli as I type this...

Good Luck!

Interesting. I had to have a broken tibia surgically re-sectioned last year. There were complications (bone infection) and the leg would swell severely. Every time I had severe swelling, I developed gout-like symptoms on the foot on the injured leg.

I never got tested for uric acid, but started taking Colchicine anyway. After taking 4 pills a day for a couple of days, the symptoms disappeared.

I still have occasional bouts of swelling in my leg, usually accompanied by the onset of the gout-like symptoms. A couple of doses of the Colchicine usually nips it in the bud.

Pat- Have you tried any of the medications, or are you just assuming that they won't work because your Uric acid tests came back negative?

ego operor non tutela

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had several flare ups & currently Allopurinol solves the problem. I had a customer that had acute gout & drank like a fish. Refused to take meds on a regular basis. Finally his gout affected his Johnson & I'm told (no first hand evidence) that he almost died. He stopped drinking after this.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Suck it up...

I do, but I had to make sure you realize how badass I am.

If you were a real badass....you'd beat the hell out of that toe with nunchuks. And then taser it. Then eat a T bone and drink a bottle of red.

Cowboy up there, LT.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn Pat that looks painful. Hope you feel better quick buddy.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have had it before, it sucks. Lose weight, drink lots of water and watch what you eat. Been in check for 6 years now with no meds.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have NO idea what sets me off. Hasn't happened for about five years.
I do know it's the worst pain I have ever felt.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
nine times out of ten it is a change in diet - something you ate or drank -

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I get it. It sucks. I have been tested twice and my uric acid level is fine, so I can't take any of the preventatives....

Get rid of your Doc and find one who'll treat you properly. You don't have to have high uric acid level tests to have gout. You don't need to test high for them to put you on allopurinol. Find a doctor that'll give you indomethacin and colchicine to get rid of the short term effects and allopurinol for long term control. I started getting it in my big toe about 8 years ago, I controlled it with colchicine and indomethacin until a year ago when I couldn't take the twice a month episodes and the diaherra from the colchicine so I went to my doc and told him I wanted to be put on allipurinol. He put me on it without hesitation, no tests or anything. A year later and I haven't had it hit in a while. It's WONDERFUL not having to deal with that stuff every couple of weeks, it was ruining my life.

It's only going to get worse if you don't do something about it. I've got a friend thats got arthritis in most of the joints of his legs because he didn't control his gout. It will do long term damage if you don't control it. Find a competent doctor that will put you on the proper medicine. There's no excuse for them not treating it, it's not like the drugs are narcotics.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by arkypete
I've got two friends that have gout. They found that drinking black cherry juice keeps it at bey. They drink the black cherry juice and they don't have gout. They skip for one week and they are hobbling around.

Jim

Yep, same with 2 friends of mine and one of them claims that the cranberry extract pills in the pharmacy section of Wal-Mart helps just as well as the juice does and is a lot cheaper. ymmv.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Suck it up...

I do, but I had to make sure you realize how badass I am.

If you were a real badass....you'd beat the hell out of that toe with nunchuks. And then taser it. Then eat a T bone and drink a bottle of red.

Cowboy up there, LT.
Damn Steve... That hurts just reading it...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B3

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Dried cherries as well as black cherry juice. Never tried the juice but the dried cherries worked very quickly/well for me. My foot didn't look anywhere near as bad as your's though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dimebox
My foot didn't look anywhere near as bad as your's though.

Pat ain't much for wearing shoes... smile

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I get it. It sucks. I have been tested twice and my uric acid level is fine, so I can't take any of the preventatives. It happens every September after getting really dehydrated and boozing it up for a couple weekends(Rememember my last health issue post?). It hurts so bad I couldn't bow hunt this weekend. I had to come home and go fishing instead.

[Linked Image]

Must be the low altitude....didn't get it after spending a weekend at 9000 ft did you?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the cherry juice! I been taking it for a couple years.
I woke up one day,felt like my toe joint was full of needles.Hobbled around for a couple days ,till my boss sent me to his podiatrist.He gave me indomethicin,pain was gone the next day.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cure

take 4 lb hammer hit left thumb hard ,forget about foot grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
could keep drinkin...eventually it will stop hurting...

"What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." (Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, Dec. 20, 1787)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Plenty of other folks have said it, but I will too.
The cherry juice will work wonders for you Pat. My mom has had crippling gout and the cherry juice has been amazing. She drink a small juice glass of it every day, and it damned sure keeps the pain away.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I feel for you. Right now the wifey is fighting some damm thing that is wrong with her heel. I can't pronounce it. Guess it's pretty common. My Aunt said she'd had it too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Feel for ya itppowell;
Have had it four times, sucks!, feels like a damn red hot 10 penny being hammered into your foot!
Berry juice or Allopurinol generally KO's it.
Shrimp[any shell-fish] kicks my ass, don't eat it AT ALL!
Hope you get better.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I get it. It sucks. I have been tested twice and my uric acid level is fine, so I can't take any of the preventatives. It happens every September after getting really dehydrated and boozing it up for a couple weekends(Rememember my last health issue post?). It hurts so bad I couldn't bow hunt this weekend. I had to come home and go fishing instead.

[Linked Image]

Which one has it?

grin

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (35, 338reddog, Akhutr, 01Foreman400, 10 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,875
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.