Home
Posted By: gmiller Scotch? - 12/06/10
Single malt scotch has interested me for some time now. I've drank burbon but not scotch. I bought a bottle this weekend, an Isley. It was ok but not great. Started out like a burbon but ended with what I would call an earthy after taste, very strong. I have been doing some research and have a short list to try next. Some of them are blends but they got high reviews.

I would like for the Scotch drinkers on this site to give me a few recommendations. I'm looking for an affordable bottle, $50 or less.

Thanks
Posted By: T LEE Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I was going to respond then saw your spending limit...... My favorites start around $90.00 a jug.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Glenlivet
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
+1 for Glenlivet in that price range.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Bunnahabhain 12 year old.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620025
Posted By: grouseman Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Try some Macallan.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Islay whiskies are very peaty and smoky. They should be worked up to, IMO.

A Scotch I like that a new drinker might appreciate is The Famous Grouse. I get it for about $25 a fifth. It isn't a "knock your socks off" Scotch, but would still show you a bit of what Scotch is about. It's a blended whiskey. Other blended but enjoyable Scotches include Johhny Walker and Dewar's.

If you insist on starting with a single-malt, Glenlivet is never a bad choice. Work up to the more unusual or niche whiskies slowly.

BTW, the way to unlock the flavor of a good Scotch is to pour it neat and then add just a small splash of warm water. Not cool, not hot - about body heat. A teaspoon is plenty.
Posted By: Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Back when I used to drink a lot of Scotch, I would sometimes chase shots with beer, and would end up with an Earthy aftertaste. I would usually get up at some point, spit, and swish some Scotch or beer around in my mouth, spit again and stagger on home.

Alan
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by grouseman
Try some Macallan.

YES!!! The best for the money, IMO! It is a very rich Scotch with a lot of flavor and well balanced.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Isley
It's Islay.

ended with what I would call an earthy after taste, very strong.
Probably peat, the level of which varies by brand.

Good scotch has really gone up, but if you can catch Highland Park under your price ceiling it would be an excellent one to try.

Stay away from ice. The addition of a small amount of still spring water, not chilled of course, may "open up" the flavor. That isn't true for all whisky though.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Forgot that one, I tend to the 18 year stuff myself.

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1022390

Macallan 18

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620010
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
The 18 yo Bunnahabhain ain't in his price range.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
The 18 yo Bunnahabhain ain't in his price range.

Neither is the Macallan 18 but both are some GOOD whiskey. No moss on the 12's though, I am working on the one you suggested right now that Bob sent me. I ain't that picky when somebody else pops for the stuff! smile smile

SOMEBODY at last years pigfest hooked me in on the GOOD stuff, the stuff you don't DARE put ice and/or soda in!
Posted By: shootem Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
A Scotch I like that a new drinker might appreciate is The Famous Grouse. I get it for about $25 a fifth. It isn't a "knock your socks off" Scotch, but would still show you a bit of what Scotch is about. It's a blended whiskey. Other blended but enjoyable Scotches include Johhny Walker and Dewar's.

So very true Mr. Raab, at least on the Bird and Dewar's. For some reason I've not had JW in too long to remember it well. Another suggestion for close kith & kin to scotch are the Irish whiskeys. Try Bushmill or Tullamore Dew for a good $25 fifth. Thank me later.
If we're going Irish, then Redbreast 12 yr. old pot still whiskey is a big step up from those two.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I hadn't had Johhny Walker in almost 40 years, myself. But last year I grabbed a bottle on a whim. It was all right, but I still prefer Famous Grouse.

When I was in pilot training at Laredo AFB back in 1969, we'd go across the border into Mexico. In a side-street house with a green door you could get smuggled Johhny Walker, Canadian Club, Crown Royal and several other brands - for $3.50 a fifth. Today, I'd be scared to death to even go across the border, much less drink what would probably be colored wood alcohol.
Posted By: gmiller Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Thanks. Several of these are on my list to try.
If you don't mind airing it out, put up your list. I may be able to steer you away from a dead end or two.

Malt whisky has been an interest of mine for a while, and I've tried a bunch.
Posted By: thismortalcoil Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Lagavulin or Highland Park are very good. Personally I preferred the 1 year old Macallan
Posted By: Teal Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I generally get a pint glass - top it with ice. Pour an inch of whatever is on sale and top it off with red Kool-aid.

Never had a bad one yet.
Personally I preferred the 1 year old Macallan

Kind of young. grin

I wouldn't recommend Lagavulin to the OP, given his comments.
Posted By: BasicBeer Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by mathman
If you don't mind airing it out, put up your list. I may be able to steer you away from a dead end or two.

Malt whisky has been an interest of mine for a while, and I've tried a bunch.

Same here, sitting on a supply of single-malts that will last the rest of my life, ranging from the $25 bottlings up to 10 times that much, acquired while I was single and had disposable income smile

My 'stay away' list starts with Loch Du Black. Imagine pouring grain alcohol into an ashtray filled with cigarette butts and ashes and then drinking the result...yeah, like that.

My 'stay away' list starts with Loch Du Black. Imagine pouring grain alcohol into an ashtray filled with cigarette butts and ashes and then drinking the result

I interpreted it more like steeping creosote laden telephone pole shavings in perfectly nice Mannochmore, then bottling the runoff.
Posted By: gmiller Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
My list to try

Glenlivet 12Y
The Dalmore 12y
Bunnahabhain 12Y
Macallan
Glenfidditch
Glendronach

Some of these may be hard for me to find and I might spring for the 15YO if you guys think it is worth it. It would be at the top of my price range.
Since you're a bourbon drinker (I am too) I'd suggest starting with The Dalmore or The Macallan from that list. Like bourbon they're big and rich.

Glenlivet 12, while not particularly strong, does have a "hard" note to its flavor.

Glenfiddich 12 is mild and rounded.

Bunnahabhain 12, while not heavily peated, still has some Islay character.

Glendronach can be hit or miss. Some of their sherried versions had "rubbery" notes, tasting the way an old school band aid smells, if that makes sense to you.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Originally Posted by gmiller
I bought a bottle this weekend, an Isley. It was ok but not great.

Out of idle curiosity, what is it?

- Tom
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I really enjoy my Glenfiddich 12y scotch. I was never a huge scotch drinker, but I really enjoy what I got as a gift, and would probably buy more of it.
Posted By: Notropis Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I suggest that you do a taste test with several. Line up several shot glasses containing different brands and give them a try. It is quite interesting. You can easily tell the differences and decide what you like best. I like Famous Grouse and Highland Park for most occasions but do keep quite a few different brands on hand because it is a delight to experience the different tastes. I have to be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy those that have a lot of peat flavor in them. Sipping something like Ardbeg is like licking sweat off a horse's rear end compared to drinking some of the other milder brands. Sometimes I like the peat but generally I don't.
Posted By: thismortalcoil Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Personally I preferred the 1 year old Macallan

Kind of young. grin

I wouldn't recommend Lagavulin to the OP, given his comments.

My bad, meant 12 year old, lol
Line up several shot nosing glasses containing different brands and give them a try.

Like this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Paladin Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
Go with a highland Scotch and shy away from the Islay's if you don't like the peat bog flavor.

As others have said, Famous Grouse is far and away the best blend you can get for the price.

Any Macallan will do.

If you want the smoothest, try The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 year old and don't restrict your budget to $50. You might have to go $55 or $57, but well worth the extra dollars.

I just spent too much on a 15 year old Balvenie Single Barrel that doesn't compare to the DoubleWood.

You might also want to check out this thread.

Good luck.
David
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I used to quaff the odd bottle of Haig and Haig Pinch back 30 years ago. It was pretty smooth as I recall. Don't know if it is still available or not.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I have noticed you guys are awfully quiet on the GLENMORANGIE scotch,

Well I'm on to your game, your actually trying to keep it secret so their's more for you,

Well, I'm here to bust ya...
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Scotch? - 12/06/10
I never could develop a taste for the stuff,
My buddy and best man always said it was because I never tried the good stuff. And he would waste $$ on buying me the old stuff.
And I never did enjoy it.

In the end of my drinkin days I was knockin back a handle or even two a day.
But by then it was the lowest shelf stuff I could find
trying to keep it secret so their's more for you

Glenmorangie and Cragganmore are two I don't talk about much, but enjoy quite a bit. grin
Originally Posted by the_shootist
I used to quaff the odd bottle of Haig and Haig Pinch back 30 years ago. It was pretty smooth as I recall. Don't know if it is still available or not.

Now just called Dimple and yes it is still out there. Was the first scotch I ever had, it was my Granddad's drink of choice.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/blended/dimple_pinch.htm
Posted By: shootem Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
If we're going Irish, then Redbreast 12 yr. old pot still whiskey is a big step up from those two.

Here now. Don't go snobbish on good whiskey. I've not tried Redbreast but would be surprised if it's truly a big step up from Bushmill, even at twice the price. However I accept the challenge of comparison and will put it on the to-do. And I do enjoy Irish a scant percentage more than Scotch.
Posted By: AggieDog Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Justerine and Brooks (JB), Glenlivet, and Glenfiddich. Johnny Walker Black, or Red. Personally, I drink JB Scotch.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
I haven't bought any in a while, but Redbreast used to be less than $40.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
trying to keep it secret so their's more for you

Glenmorangie and Cragganmore are two I don't talk about much, but enjoy quite a bit. grin

I told you I was here to expose this conspiricy, and I meant it.....
Posted By: shootem Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Held a bottle momentarily when last I bought Irish. IIRC it was $46ish or so. Nearly bought it but since this was a bottle meant to share with friends and not last the night I went the thrifty route.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
I have all but lost my taste for Scotch. Over in the booze locker, I have, I believe, 8 different bottles of Single Malt. I have not had a drop of any of them in months, and months.

I'd give it all away, if there was someone local that wanted it. I have gone back to Bourbon.
I like them both, and Irish too, but I'm concentrating on Bourbon because good Scotch is getting too expensive. It's rising much faster than Bourbon.
Posted By: adkshootr Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
+1 for Glenlivet. Although Cragganmore has been my favorite for some time now, I still keep Glenlivet in the house as well, and have even won over some non-scotch drinking friends with it. An excellent place to start.
Posted By: meddybemps Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Famous Grouse for weeknights, McCallan for weekends, Lagavulin for special occassions, Dalwhinnie for breakfast.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
A Couple of my favs:

[Linked Image]

...........maybe a leeetttle bit out of the OP's price range (not for me, these are my at my buddies, I drink them free :-) )

I suggest you try Dewars for an inexpensive yet very good Scotch. Though sacrilage to some I like Scotch over crushed ice. Swirl it a bit and let it air. With the 30yr old Glenfiddich you will be sucking the ice cubes dry smile ......................DJ
Though sacrilage to some I like Scotch over crushed ice. Swirl it a bit and let it air. With the 30yr old Glenfiddich you will be sucking the ice cubes dry

In my best Thurston Howell III voice:

Philistine! Probably a Yale man.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Malts are regional. The aromatics vary. A good beginner malt would be Glenmorangie of Glenfiddich.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Mathman, Ever try Glen Ord?
Posted By: gmiller Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
I think I need to expand my list and start some taste testing.

Thanks for all of the input
I had a bottle of Glen Ord a long time ago, a 12 yr. old that came with a 200 ml bonus bottle on the side.

It's been a while, but I remember it was malty and had some peat at the end. Not the kind of peat that a big Islay malt whacks you with, more the old school flavor from when the malted barley for most whisky was kiln dried over a peat fire.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
For many years my favorite Single malt has been Knockando 18 year old.
Knockando is a nice mellow malt, but I don't see it around as much as I did ten years ago.

The same goes for Royal Lochnagar.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10

One of my enjoyable Christmas traditions is that it falls to me to buy an expensive bottle of single malt for one of our very good customers. Each year I try to get a different bottle. Budget is $100.00 max and of course I must buy the same for myself to sample so I will be able to discuss it intelligently with him.

Suggestions for this year?

One of my enjoyable Christmas traditions is that it falls to me to buy an expensive bottle of single malt for one of our very good customers. Each year I try to get a different bottle. Budget is $100.00 max and of course I must buy the same for myself to sample so I will be able to discuss it intelligently with him.

Suggestions for this year?
Have you already done Highland Park 18 yr. old?

Problem is I can never remember what I bought the year before. I will put that on the list. Thank you.---Spano.
Posted By: BasicBeer Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Might want to try a Springbank, the 10 year old 100 proof version is very nice for around $65.

Also, try to find a bar specializing in single malts, and sample yourself silly smile

Also, try to find a bar specializing in single malts, and sample yourself silly

And broke. Bar prices are ridiculous!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Laphroaig is my fave. Some of the Bowmore offerings are very tasty as well.

Sometimes I want a sherry or port wood scotch, I look for Balvenie dbl wood or Glenmorangie.

(I aint looking up the spelling)
Also, try to find a bar specializing in single malts, and sample yourself silly

And broke. Bar prices are ridiculous!

Mebbe so, but cheaper than buying a bottle you end up not liking...
It seems like that, but in the long run the percentage of those I really didn't like was pretty small.

The way to do it, if you can, is to find a liquor purveyor that actually tastes the product and knows their business.

Also get good reference books like the ones by Michael Jackson or Jim Murray. Read their tasting notes and use them as a guide to which whisk(e)y to try next.
Posted By: jpb Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Originally Posted by grouseman
Try some Macallan.

Yep! The Macallan! All ages are good, the 18 year old I had was awesome.

They mature the whiskey in oak barrels that formerly had sherry aged in them. Gives a nice reddish colour and a great complex nose and taste!

John
Posted By: temmi Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
While it is not my favorite, I recommend �The Dalmore��

It is a mild Highland Single Malt Whiskey and they will have one in your price range.

AND one point of interest I have been to their location when I was up in Invergordon.

Sadly they did not have tour that day and I did not have much time�.

I like Lagavulin & Laphroaig which are ISLAY Whiskeys whiskey are a tad �smoky�.

Look here "http://www.scotchwhisky.net"
It seems like that, but in the long run the percentage of those I really didn't like was pretty small.

The way to do it, if you can, is to find a liquor purveyor that actually tastes the product and knows their business.

Also get good reference books like the ones by Michael Jackson or Jim Murray. Read their tasting notes and use them as a guide to which whisk(e)y to try next.

I just saw mathman's post. I have the book on whiskey by Michael Jackson (the late bon-vivant, not the late child molester!) and the 18 year old Macallan was a tie for the best whiskey, period. (I forget which whiskey it tied with now, but I did try it and I preferred The Macallan).

No ice though, right mathman? smile

John
Just a tad? grin

Ice is for Philistines who don't know better. grin
Posted By: claycrusher Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
I have really takin a likeing to Balvenie 12 year Doublewood.
Cant afford to drink it on a regular basis thats Famous Grouse but for those special times (after a day of hunting)the doublewood is some really wounderful stuff.
Famous Grouse is not bad at all.

A friend convinced me to try sipping some Famous Grouse with a tiny splash of water, along with a few smoked almonds.

I liked it -- give it a try!

John
Posted By: 78CJ Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Anyone try Caol Ila? It was great, can't remember what I paid. Of the others I must give a slight edge to Tallisker over Craggenmore......

Damn, I'm getting thirsty and it's only 0941.

My purveyor is expert in Scotch and will offer me a taste if he has a bottle open in the "Back".
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Anyone try Caol Ila? It was great, can't remember what I paid. Of the others I must give a slight edge to Tallisker over Craggenmore......

Oh yes, Caol Ila laugh

I have one bottle of the distillery 12 year old, and 3 or 4 bottles from Signatory, all cask strength.

Good stuff smile
Posted By: Boise Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
Snob drinkers get to me. I've drank some mighty expensive Scotch and don't find it all that much better than good lower cost brands. Blending Scotch is cheating although it does deliver an easier drink.

For me, there is no doubt in my mind the best way to drink Scotch is out of a procelain steel cup while sitting around a campfire. Waterford crystal and a warm house pales in comparison.

To the OP, how about throwing a party for some good friends asking each to bring a bottle for comparion? I'm betting you'll find a drink you like.
Posted By: gmiller Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
I like that idea, the only problem after a few I wouldn't remember which one liked.
For me, there is no doubt in my mind the best way to drink Scotch is out of a procelain steel cup while sitting around a campfire.

I prefer a good, big bodied Bourbon for that pleasurable duty.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10

AMEN and soda water is PURE BLASPHEMY!
Might want to try a Springbank

I have some 10 yr., excellent whisky.

Ever try Glen Scotia?
Might want to try a Springbank

I have some 10 yr., excellent whisky.

Ever try Glen Scotia?

Sure have, first expression was an old Cadenhead bottling, from when they were using brown bottles...also had a distillery 14 year old bottling.

Both very nice, not extremely complex, but a good dram nonetheless.

Also from Campeltown, the Longrow is more comparable to an Islay than Springbank. There's a few expressions of Longrow out there, well worth trying. smile
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Scotch? - 12/07/10
The Dimple / Pinch Blended Scotch Whisky
It won't break the bank and is smooth.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
For me, there is no doubt in my mind the best way to drink Scotch is out of a procelain steel cup while sitting around a campfire.

I prefer a good, big bodied Bourbon for that pleasurable duty.

I agree as to the bourbon as a campfire drink, scotch is too refined for such a pleasurable occasion.
Posted By: meddybemps Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
FWIW,the major component of Famous Grouse blended scotch is McCallan.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
major component

Please define that.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Originally Posted by T LEE

AMEN and soda water is PURE BLASPHEMY!

Have you tried Scotch over crushed ice?.......................DJ
Posted By: T LEE Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
NO FRICKIN WAY JOSE'!!!!!

I would suggest that everyone should enjoy fine Scotch in the way they prefer.

I would also note that your criticism is based on a total lack of experience and prejudice instead of fact and experimentation................................DJ
Posted By: sse Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
I "have a friend" who used to "drink a little bit too much" a little too often. Anyway, for a bender of some duration he would mix equal quantities of milk and scotch.

Has anyone ever heard of that one before? I hadn't and not since, either.

(Kinda like brining pork.)
Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10

SOMEBODY at last years pigfest hooked me in on the GOOD stuff, the stuff you don't DARE put ice and/or soda in!

It is truly an unkind act to "rust" a fine single malt with such sacrilegious objects and potions....
I would also note that your criticism is based on a total lack of experience

Mine isn't.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have all but lost my taste for Scotch. Over in the booze locker, I have, I believe, 8 different bottles of Single Malt. I have not had a drop of any of them in months, and months.

I'd give it all away, if there was someone local that wanted it. I have gone back to Bourbon.

And there you were trying to trade citrus fruit for smoked salmon!

wink
Originally Posted by djpaintless

I would also note that your criticism is based on a total lack of experience and prejudice instead of fact and experimentation................................DJ

Thank you very much, but I have had it with cubed ice, cracked ice and/or crushed ice with and without soda. All adulterations to a fine drink IMNSHO SIR.
Originally Posted by sse
I "have a friend" who used to "drink a little bit too much" a little too often. Anyway, for a bender of some duration he would mix equal quantities of milk and scotch.

Has anyone ever heard of that one before? I hadn't and not since, either.

(Kinda like brining pork.)

Was a favorite drink of hookers in a Joe Wambaugh novel.
Originally Posted by djpaintless

Thank you very much, but I have had it with cubed ice, cracked ice and/or crushed ice with and without soda. All adulterations to a fine drink IMNSHO SIR.

OK but when I asked if you had tried it your response was "NO FRICKIN WAY JOSE'!!!!!". So at least you've tried it and found you prefered it another way. My tastes differ.

I think people should try both and see which way they like better themselves.................................DJ
You are perfectly welcome to adulterate it any way you care to as long as it suits you to do so with your own stock Sir. Enjoy life as it pleases you.
Several favorites not mentioned so far are the Glenlivet Nadurra, a cask strength whisky way finer than I deserve.

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish is a serious favorite, yet the Sherry Wood Finish absolutely sucks.

Glenlivet French Oak Finish in the 15 Reserve is a good one for gentle, smooth and very drinkable.

Talisker and Laphroig are wonderful, nasty, smokey, peaty peeks into the inner workings of the collier's art and very drinkable... But they pale in comparison to Lagavulin's smooth delivery of nearly equal smoke and peat.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Dewars is my favorite amongst blended scotch. I like Bowmore, McCallan, or Glenlivit in single malts buy I'm not likely to turn down any of the others!!
Posted By: TC224 Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
I would recommend the Highland & Speyside Malts, as opposed to the Islay. I agree with a previous poster who said the Islays are very strong and take some getting used too. I personally like McCallan 12, 15, or 18 year old. A bottle of the 12 year old will run you $50 - $60 bucks. Other good Speyside single malts include Glenfiddich, & Glenlivet. Glenfarclas is a good Highland Malt for the price you're looking for. There are also some very good Irish single malts for around $50. I would recommend 12-year-old Redbreast, or 12-year-old Jameson. The best thing to do is go to a tasting where you can sample many different whiskys and decide what you like best; including which particular region; Highlands, Islay, Speyside, etc... Good luck, and enjoy!
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
I had a bottle of Glen Ord a long time ago, a 12 yr. old that came with a 200 ml bonus bottle on the side.

It's been a while, but I remember it was malty and had some peat at the end. Not the kind of peat that a big Islay malt whacks you with, more the old school flavor from when the malted barley for most whisky was kiln dried over a peat fire.

You pegged it.

Many years past when I was but a lad in a fraternity some brothers used to drink scotch and milk, another drank scotch and ginger ale. Fortunately they used cheap blended stuff, Pinch, DeWares, Black & White, Johnie Walker, or something of that ilk.

Nevertheless, even at that tender age I considered it a sin against nature to adulterate even cheap blended scotch in that manner.
Posted By: meddybemps Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Just did a quick check on the components of Famous Grouse. Seems to be a blend of MCallan, Highland Park and Glenrothes and others along with grain neutral spirits. It's kind of like a .30-06 -- it's never a mistake.
Yes, that's the info I had. But the percentages, and even malts, which are used in a blended whisky are not necessarily fixed.

The master blender doesn't follow a recipe, rather he selects components to build Famous Grouse as a taste profile. So without inside information it's pretty hard to say what the main component is at any particular time.
Hate to admit it on a high-falutin' whisky thread... But after reading several Robert Ruark books a while back I bought a bottle of rye (plain old Beam) and poured some over rocks with a big shot of bitters... It worked.

Bought a new bottle today and spoke to the whisky specialist and he said they were having trouble the last year or so keeping rye on the shelves. It is dirt cheap and good...

Now back to our regularly scheduled pretenses... wink
Posted By: natman Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Originally Posted by jpb

A friend convinced me to try sipping some Famous Grouse with a tiny splash of water, along with a few smoked almonds.

Don't the almonds get soggy?
Posted By: jpb Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by jpb

Don't the almonds get soggy?

smile Got me! I admit that I was tired when I wrote that...

Nibble the almonds from the can, sip the whiskey, repeat as needed! smile

John
Of all the whisk(e)ys I've tried, a couple of my favorites are rye.

Wild Turkey 101 Rye is really good, and a steal at less than $25.

Sazerac 18 yr. old rye is one the finest spirits I've tasted, and for about $60 is a bargain for something special.

I love that Wild Turkey Rye, good karma during turkey season.

Off topic, another "friend of mine" used to work in a social services setting and off hours spent time playing tennis with a co-worker. Although the usual habit around the court was to drink beer during play, they would choose hard liquor.

Anyway his friend was fond of Lord Calvert brand whiskey, and when down 15-40 or vice versa, was known to have a snort and exclaim, "help me lord." LOL

On Sundays my father used to say he was attending the "Church of the Lord".....

Lord Calvert
LOL
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Of all the whisk(e)ys I've tried, a couple of my favorites are rye.

Wild Turkey 101 Rye is really good, and a steal at less than $25.

Sazerac 18 yr. old rye is one the finest spirits I've tasted, and for about $60 is a bargain for something special.

I looked into ryes a while back, and got the idea that they're blended with some percentage of bourbon. Can that be right? Are there no straight ryes currently being marketed?

- Tom
Posted By: jpb Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Originally Posted by tjm10025
I looked into ryes a while back, and got the idea that they're blended with some percentage of bourbon. Can that be right? Are there no straight ryes currently being marketed?

- Tom

I know of at least one 100% pure Rye whiskey:

Alberta Premium Rye Whisky

I do not know if they sell it where you are, but I googled it, and it is made by Alberta Distillers Ltd and their phone number is 847-948-8888. Maybe they can advise of a distributor.

This does indeed taste smoother than other "rye" whiskeys" to me, anyway. Still, I have been known to force a bit of Crown Royal down my throat in my earlier days... 100% or not! wink

John
I could be wrong, but I think that one and Wild Turkey are the only two in existence.

"Straight rye" doesn't mean what you think it does.

For a whiskey to be rye, the mash used to make it must be at least 51% rye. Aged in new, charred oak barrels for at least two years it can be called straight rye whiskey.

What you're looking for is a whiskey made from a 100% rye mash, which even though it's all rye isn't necessarily straight rye.
Posted By: BasicBeer Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Here's an 80% rye whisky, I've not tasted it though.

http://www.dandm.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_663&products_id=11965&cat=spirits
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
I started drinking Scotch in 2003. Just wanted a taste to see if I liked it so ordered a glass of 12 year old somethin or the other. Found I really liked it. In the ensueing years I have tried a few different ones and some my brother has. This thread gives many that I haven't ever heard of.
What you're looking for is a whiskey made from a 100% rye mash, which even though it's all rye isn't necessarily straight rye.

You mentioned Sazerac. Is that the "straight" or 100% rye mash. Or something else?

- Tom
It's straight. This is the one you want:

[Linked Image]

Not this:
[Linked Image]

The first one is fabulous, the second is just OK.

I didn't mention it before, but this one is great too:

[Linked Image]

mathman:

I think a pic is missing from your post. If I understand, the 18 year old is fabulous and another Sazerac (not shown) is just okay.

Thanks for the tip. It's a stocking stuffer for sure.

- Tom
I'm seeing three pics, the 18(fab), a plain Sazerac(just OK), and a Thomas H. Handy Sazerac (great, barrel proof).
I'm seeing three pics

Visual impairment secondary to ethanol ingestion.
Still not as bad as margarine madness. grin
Still not as bad as margarine madness. grin

Or reefer madness.
Posted By: shootem Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Never tried straight rye. How would y'all describe the taste??
The problem with scotch is that there is not enough of a variety or selection.
It's a relative of Bourbon, in fact some Bourbon has a pretty good percentage of rye in its mashbill.
Posted By: thismortalcoil Re: Scotch? - 12/08/10
Haven't seen Oban listed, another good choice
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Scotch? - 12/09/10
Bowmore 12 year or Singleton 12 year
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Scotch? - 12/09/10
I'm seeing three pics, the 18(fab), a plain Sazerac(just OK), and a Thomas H. Handy Sazerac (great, barrel proof).

Well, on my home computer, I can see the second bottle!

Strange.

- Tom
Posted By: doubletap Re: Scotch? - 12/09/10
I want to thank you guys for the Famous Grouse recommendation. Found some on sale for $18.95, yesterday. It isn't as good as the Glenfiddich 15 that I usually drink but it is quite good and very reasonably priced. I'm thinking of getting another bottle for tonight.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scotch? - 12/09/10
Found some on sale for $18.95

You did well.
Posted By: shootem Re: Scotch? - 12/09/10
I want to thank you guys for the Famous Grouse recommendation.

Ah the Bird. Everybody's heard about the Bird.

The Bird
Posted By: blackdogsrule Re: Scotch? - 12/10/10
Oban, Dahlwhinnie and McAllan are the smoothest and best of the single malts in my opinion. That being said I drink Dewar's daily and will for as long as the goog Lord grants me the time and pleasure to enjoy the fruits of this wonderful Earth.

Somewhere I heard a line that goes something like 'there is no bad Scotch- only some that aren't as good as others'. With that i will retire with a nightcap of Glenlivet as I am out of Dewars-until tomorrow. :-)
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Scotch? - 12/12/10

Bringing this back to life...

Yesterday while visiting my favorite store I saw a product I hadn't seen before. It was a small (1500ml) oak cask that had been charred on the inside. It comes with two 750's of pure raw single malt scotch which at this stage is clear as gin. You put the single malt into the cask and wait 15-20 years to enjoy a fine drink. Price was $130.00. Anyone ever seen or heard of it?

It would make a great gift for a youngster, maybe graduation or wedding.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Scotch? - 12/12/10
May I suggest.....FAMOUS GROUSE!!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Scotch? - 12/12/10
Try Ardberg 10 year. Excellent for the money (under 50)
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Scotch? - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by jpb

I just saw mathman's post. I have the book on whiskey by Michael Jackson (the late bon-vivant, not the late child molester!) and the 18 year old Macallan was a tie for the best whiskey, period. (I forget which whiskey it tied with now, but I did try it and I preferred The Macallan).

I have a couple of Jackson's excellent books.

I have to agree that the Macallan 18-year-old is probably the best combination of price and flavor. It's not my "favorite" single malt (it's hard to have a true "favorite"...). My choices run as follows:
1. My day-to-day scotch is Famous Grouse (glad to see several others here have endorsed it!), which is without question the best blended scotch whisky for a single-malt man.
2. My "company" whisky is Glenlivet 12-year-old, which is the most consistent single-malt, in my opinion. A glass of Glenlivit 12 tastes the same everywhere, every year, every bottle. And it's priced reasonably enough that I can pour it for guests who insist on ice, or soda without regret.
3. My winter whisky is Talisker; 10-year-old more often, but I have a bottle of 18-year-old tucked in the back of the cabinet for Christmas Eve. Jackson described it as "fiery, peppery... a winter warmer", and I agree. It goes splendidly with a pipe of McClelland's Deep Hollow on the porch while I watch the snow fall. Drambuie liquer is made from Talisker whisky, IIRC.

While I've sampled most of the single malts, I will only buy outside the above list on a rare occasion. Laphroaig is about the best of Islay malts to my taste, but it's so phenolic I have to prime my taste buds with a glass of Jura or the like first.

My son texted me today and informed me he bought a bottle of 18-year-old Macallan last night to celebrate a private milestone, so I'll be having a glass of that tonight when I make my way home from work.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Scotch? - 12/12/10

I have the Jackson book in my liquor cabinet on the single malt shelf. Never realized it was such a big deal. I'll pay more attention to it from now on.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Scotch? - 12/12/10
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Laphroaig is about the best of Islay malts to my taste..

The only whiskey I've got in the house right now.

- Tom
Posted By: gmiller Re: Scotch? - 12/13/10
I bought a bottle of Glenlivet this weekend and I enjoyed it very much. It's alot better than the bottle of Islay I bought. Thanks for all of the recommendations, I'm looking forward to trying them all.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10

Bought a bottle of Murray McDavid Bunnahabhain 12yr today. Haven't tapped it yet. Any opinions?
Posted By: BasicBeer Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Bought a bottle of Murray McDavid Bunnahabhain 12yr today. Haven't tapped it yet. Any opinions?

In my opinion, you should send it to me for, um, disposal.

It's horrible nasty stuff. Really. I swear...

Tap it at once, of course laugh
Tasting notes would be appreciated.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
What you get from an independent bottler can be different tasting than the house version.
Originally Posted by BasicBeer
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

In my opinion, you should send it to me for, um, disposal.

It's horrible nasty stuff. Really. I swear...

Tap it at once, of course laugh
Tasting notes would be appreciated.

Thanks for the warning. I'll just pour it down the drain, wouldn't want you to drink it and get sick and sue me.
Last night, Laphroaig 10, big time peat.

Tonight a big switch, Glengoyne 17, with no peat at all.

The interesting part is once you're accustomed to the Laphroaig and aren't blasted by the initial peat wave, it has a sweet malty core too.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
If I have to use words such as 'accustomed' and 'peat wave' in conjunction with 'sweet malty core' to describe an adult beverage, it's time to become Baptist.
Well, appreciating whisk(e)y as a product of craftsmanship has been a hobby of mine for a good while. But I'll still "drink for effect" now and then. grin

A time and place for everything. I didn't tap it tonight. Watched some stupid football game. A good single malt should not be insulted with such foolery.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If I have to use words such as 'accustomed' and 'peat wave' in conjunction with 'sweet malty core' to describe an adult beverage, it's time to become Baptist.

I agree. That's why I keep it simple--------things like, "This one tastes pretty good," "Mmmmm," and or a simple relaxing sigh. Not that I can't taste some of the elements in a beverage (whiskey, beer, coffee, tea), but I really don't care. It's the net result I either appreciate or pass on.

I could be wrong, but I think "Scotch language" has been learned from the Wine snobs. Experts like Jackson writing books about it only perpetuate the problem.
I think you're way off base.

A close friend of mine likes Bourbon and Irish Whiskey, and even some Scotch. But he does not care for peat in any large quantity.

Since I appreciate both Laphroaig and Glengoyne I'd say "Both of these taste pretty good" and that description would be next to useless to my friend if he was interested in which one he would want to try.

The use of descriptive language beyond "Ummmh, Og say this good" does not necessarily imply snobbery.
Posted By: RAS2 Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
After 15 shots most anything taste good. I like Crown Royal and some local stuff.
I think you're way off base.

A close friend of mine likes Bourbon and Irish Whiskey, and even some Scotch. But he does not care for peat in any large quantity.

Since I appreciate both Laphroaig and Glengoyne I'd say "Both of these taste pretty good" and that description would be next to useless to my friend if he was interested in which one he would want to try.

The use of descriptive language beyond "Ummmh, Og say this good" does not necessarily imply snobbery.

I'll concede that in the case of trying to line up a buddy with something he'd like, descriptors of some sort could be helpful. But it'll still boil down to what HE likes, and "peet" has no meaning until he's done some sampling anyway. I take Bourbons and Irish Whiskey's on a case by case basis too. A sample will tell ME alot more than a flowery description. Other folks may care to talk about it a lot.
A sample tells me more too, but a good description using terminology I can relate to helps me narrow down to the ones I want to sample.
I agree that "words mean things", so if you're comparing notes with others who use the same language, then yes, that'd be helpful.
And this being a "Scotch thread" I figured on a few aficionados being around when I typed my description. smile
If I look at it from a "Scotch Looney" perspective rather than a snobbery issue, then I guess those folks have just as much right to blabber on about flavor subtleties as we do about ballistic minutiae.
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
I blame this thread for my discovery of Famous Grouse earlier this week. What a great, and affordable, whisky!

Posted By: Miss_Lynn Re: Scotch? - 12/14/10
God I need a drink !!!! Would one of you fine gentlemen have a scotch for me, it doesn't mix well with my meds frown

Lynn
I will, probably a cask strength Laphroaig. I'll be sitting outside near a fire, enjoying an after dinner cigar.
The regular Famous Grouse is a good one. If you feel a little spendy one day, there are fancier versions of the Grouse that are excellent.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Scotch? - 12/15/10
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
God I need a drink !!!! Would one of you fine gentlemen have a scotch for me, it doesn't mix well with my meds frown

Lynn

I am sipping some 12 year old Bunnahabhain in your honor right now Lady. My pleasure to do so.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Scotch? - 12/15/10
Miss Lynn, I have been saving some Glenlivet 18 year; I will break the seal and sip one in your honor right now!
Posted By: prm Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
Alright, back to the top with this topic. What is some really good "smooth" scotch? I don't prefer the stronger, peaty varieties. I have Macallan which I like. Considering others. What about The Balvenie?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
If by smooth you mean a bit on the "syrupy" side, Glennffidich (sp?)15's a good one.
Posted By: prm Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
Thanks. By smooth, I mean not real strong and peaty. There's probably a better term for that. The Macallan 12 that has been allowed to breath for a bit definitely fits the bill, just looking for others. Suitable for Navy retirement toasts, you can understand that!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
Glenmorangie 10 Year Old is a new favorite, I like the subtle notes of vanilla (is that snobbish sounding?).
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
I sure can! There's also a Glemorangie ( I think) called Golden Nectar that's pretty smooth too. I just like the Peaty ones myself. Enjoy!
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
FAMOUS GROUSE!
Posted By: Pugs Re: Scotch? - 03/19/13
Originally Posted by prm
Alright, back to the top with this topic. What is some really good "smooth" scotch? I don't prefer the stronger, peaty varieties.

You will not regret the Dalmore 12 year old.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/dalmore-12-year-old-whisky/

Posted By: cra1948 Re: Scotch? - 03/20/13
Dalwhinnie 15 YO and Balvennie 12 YO "doublewood" are a couple of really mild (not much peat) single malts. "Summer scotch" to my taste. I like them a bit more complex, as a rule. My all around, go-to scotch is the regular Glenlivet 12 YO. It's about in the middle of the smokiness scale, very smooth, very mellow, and very complex. If it were the only scotch available to me the rest of my life I'd be okay with that. I've noticed that a lot of the previous posters are tossing out brand name, but be aware that most of the distilleries bottle a number of different variations of their spirits, mostly having to do with the amount of aging and the type of wood they are aged in.

Most of the blends are just scotch that didn't make the grade, one way or another cut with straight grain alcohol. They're alright for mixing (rusty nail; Rob Roy; scotch and soda). There are "all malt" blends, you don't see them that often.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Scotch? - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by Pugs

I should have known that was you. I had a dram. Very tasty, thank you.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Scotch? - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by Pugs

I should have known that was you. I had a dram. Very tasty, thank you.

Seems evaportation was wicked bad in TN last weekend. grin Happy to provide.
Posted By: achildofthesky Re: Scotch? - 03/20/13
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Sure wish I lived close to you as I would take you up on that offer... Sure is nice to put the tired feet up and enjoy bit 2 before turning in.

Be safe
Patty
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Scotch? - 03/20/13
Hey Sam, I live close!

Good choice Pugs, excellent choice!
Posted By: Hotload Re: Scotch? - 03/20/13
GlenLivet
© 24hourcampfire