Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never tried straight rye. How would y'all describe the taste??

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's a relative of Bourbon, in fact some Bourbon has a pretty good percentage of rye in its mashbill.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Haven't seen Oban listed, another good choice

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Bowmore 12 year or Singleton 12 year

Last edited by Old Ornery; 12/08/10.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mathman
I'm seeing three pics, the 18(fab), a plain Sazerac(just OK), and a Thomas H. Handy Sazerac (great, barrel proof).

Well, on my home computer, I can see the second bottle!

Strange.

- Tom

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I want to thank you guys for the Famous Grouse recommendation. Found some on sale for $18.95, yesterday. It isn't as good as the Glenfiddich 15 that I usually drink but it is quite good and very reasonably priced. I'm thinking of getting another bottle for tonight.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Found some on sale for $18.95

You did well.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I want to thank you guys for the Famous Grouse recommendation.

Ah the Bird. Everybody's heard about the Bird.

The Bird

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oban, Dahlwhinnie and McAllan are the smoothest and best of the single malts in my opinion. That being said I drink Dewar's daily and will for as long as the goog Lord grants me the time and pleasure to enjoy the fruits of this wonderful Earth.

Somewhere I heard a line that goes something like 'there is no bad Scotch- only some that aren't as good as others'. With that i will retire with a nightcap of Glenlivet as I am out of Dewars-until tomorrow. :-)

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Bringing this back to life...

Yesterday while visiting my favorite store I saw a product I hadn't seen before. It was a small (1500ml) oak cask that had been charred on the inside. It comes with two 750's of pure raw single malt scotch which at this stage is clear as gin. You put the single malt into the cask and wait 15-20 years to enjoy a fine drink. Price was $130.00. Anyone ever seen or heard of it?

It would make a great gift for a youngster, maybe graduation or wedding.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
May I suggest.....FAMOUS GROUSE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try Ardberg 10 year. Excellent for the money (under 50)

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by mathman
It seems like that, but in the long run the percentage of those I really didn't like was pretty small.

The way to do it, if you can, is to find a liquor purveyor that actually tastes the product and knows their business.

Also get good reference books like the ones by Michael Jackson or Jim Murray. Read their tasting notes and use them as a guide to which whisk(e)y to try next.

I just saw mathman's post. I have the book on whiskey by Michael Jackson (the late bon-vivant, not the late child molester!) and the 18 year old Macallan was a tie for the best whiskey, period. (I forget which whiskey it tied with now, but I did try it and I preferred The Macallan).

I have a couple of Jackson's excellent books.

I have to agree that the Macallan 18-year-old is probably the best combination of price and flavor. It's not my "favorite" single malt (it's hard to have a true "favorite"...). My choices run as follows:
1. My day-to-day scotch is Famous Grouse (glad to see several others here have endorsed it!), which is without question the best blended scotch whisky for a single-malt man.
2. My "company" whisky is Glenlivet 12-year-old, which is the most consistent single-malt, in my opinion. A glass of Glenlivit 12 tastes the same everywhere, every year, every bottle. And it's priced reasonably enough that I can pour it for guests who insist on ice, or soda without regret.
3. My winter whisky is Talisker; 10-year-old more often, but I have a bottle of 18-year-old tucked in the back of the cabinet for Christmas Eve. Jackson described it as "fiery, peppery... a winter warmer", and I agree. It goes splendidly with a pipe of McClelland's Deep Hollow on the porch while I watch the snow fall. Drambuie liquer is made from Talisker whisky, IIRC.

While I've sampled most of the single malts, I will only buy outside the above list on a rare occasion. Laphroaig is about the best of Islay malts to my taste, but it's so phenolic I have to prime my taste buds with a glass of Jura or the like first.

My son texted me today and informed me he bought a bottle of 18-year-old Macallan last night to celebrate a private milestone, so I'll be having a glass of that tonight when I make my way home from work.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have the Jackson book in my liquor cabinet on the single malt shelf. Never realized it was such a big deal. I'll pay more attention to it from now on.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Laphroaig is about the best of Islay malts to my taste..

The only whiskey I've got in the house right now.

- Tom

G
gmiller Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I bought a bottle of Glenlivet this weekend and I enjoyed it very much. It's alot better than the bottle of Islay I bought. Thanks for all of the recommendations, I'm looking forward to trying them all.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Bought a bottle of Murray McDavid Bunnahabhain 12yr today. Haven't tapped it yet. Any opinions?

www.paracay.com

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Bought a bottle of Murray McDavid Bunnahabhain 12yr today. Haven't tapped it yet. Any opinions?

In my opinion, you should send it to me for, um, disposal.

It's horrible nasty stuff. Really. I swear...

Tap it at once, of course laugh
Tasting notes would be appreciated.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What you get from an independent bottler can be different tasting than the house version.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.