Home
Jesse_Jaymes' thread got me thinking, and it's renewal time for a lot of my memberships, so I was wondering which organizations that support hunting, fishing, shooting, conservation, we "ought" to be members of and support.

You thoughts on which groups and why?

Here's my current list (with rationale):

NRA (duh... even with all their faults, they still carry a big stick when lobbying against anti-2A legislation) - Life Member

Second Amendment Foundation (Alan Gura, Heller, and McDonald. Taking the fight to the courts for the 2A and winning) - Life Member

Trout Unlimited (arguably one of the best cold water conservation organizations out there)

The Nature Conservancy (conservation efforts secure thousands of acres for recreation, including hunting; no conservation organization is more effective on the ground)

Izaak Walton League (good, grassroots, conservation and education organization; effective on local levels)

I'm a member of a couple local, small, groups, too.

Your list and thoughts?
GOA, in addition to the NRA and SAF
RAS2 fund. grin
I never think about the Izaak Walton League, but that is a good organization.
NRA, 2AF and Izaak Walton League, life member on the 1st two. GOA is full of loons.

JPFO is another good one, Terry steered me toward them. Les
Swedish Bikini team.
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Swedish Bikini team.

Bet you look a mite bit odd in a Bikini Dave. wink
I tried joining a sorority once. Does that count?

IWLA is indeed a good group. They owned/managed the range I shot at in my last town. They volunteered to do stream rehab and a lot of other good stuff. If there was a local-enough chapter I'd join.
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Swedish Bikini team.

Bet you look a mite bit odd in a Bikini Dave. wink

sick
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I tried joining a sorority once. Does that count?

IWLA is indeed a good group. They owned/managed the range I shot at in my last town. They volunteered to do stream rehab and a lot of other good stuff. If there was a local-enough chapter I'd join.

Join nationally, and work to establish one locally.
NRA Lifer
NWTF
FNAWS
I know this one sounds nutz.. but

ALCU

This group should be a major 2A supporter, but of course its not. If half of the folks that were in the NRA joined the ALCU that would be plenty of clout to change the ALCU's view on the 2A, say nothing of reigning in a few of its more obsurd crusaides and focusing it on maintaining civil liberties, property rights and limiting goverment interference in our lives should be all our goal.
good thread Sean

I'd ask for you guys to consider adding to your list the DAV (disabled American Veterans)

they do a good job of keeping administration costs reasonable so a goodly portion of your funds go to the guys that paid a hell of a price for our freedoms

it's been my privilege to be in their Commanders Club for over 10 years running.

all of our freedoms are worth supporting and the groups that work to do so in our behalf

but without men and women willing to make the ultimate sacrifice it's just words on paper

god bless our troops

oh and a big shout out to David/byc for contributing to their cause per my request after our friendly football wager.

your generosity was inspiring David, thank you my friend
Wounded Warrior
http://senateconservatives.com/

Good thread Sean and I agree with all you've listed.

Not sure they're considered groups but I Tithe quite a bit too as many children funds as possible. I won't list all of them but I do contribute to about 8 on a monthly basis. Causes as simple as mosquito nets, malaria, food, water and education for the global needy. In addition, any legitimate feed the hungry groups I'm on it.

Wounder Warriors and DAV as well.

Lastly, as we've discussed my own kin who are less fortunate than myself. Many are Missionaries and I support their cause and conviction.

Thanks for the reflection.

David

Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Trout Unlimited (arguably one of the best cold water conservation organizations out there)

though half the state is a warm water fishery, there are 8 cold water(trout) hatcheries in Montana and only 2 warm water hatcheries.....and yet the trout fishermen are trying to lay claim to part of one of our warm water hatcheries......im a member of Montana Walleyes Unlimited, not TU wink

Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl are two more good ones....
SCV
http://oathkeepers.org/oath/
Anyone that hunts should belong to SCI. The worlds largest organization protecting hunters rights. SCI is not just about African hunting. Lobbying efforts support waterfowl, upland birds, small game,& of course, big game. SCI supports Wounded Warriors/veterans, handicapped hunters, the blind (Sensory Safari), youth hunting, anti-poaching, & wildlife education. Two programs that most hunters know nothing about has a significant impact. All chapters send educators, mostly HS teachers, to the American Wilderness Leadership School in Wyoming to learn about wildlife. Teachers learn the value of hunting in managing a species & have an opportunity to shoot a bow, ML, handgun, rifle, & fish. If our teachers are anti-hunting it has a major effect on our kids. Safari In A Box provides wildlife education material as well as pelts, animal skulls, copies of tracks, teeth, tusks, etc. My chapter donates 3-4 boxes/year even in liberal DC, Maryland, & Northern Virginia. SCI has a lobby center on Capital Hill with attorneys in daily contact with USF&W & Congress to support legislation favorable to hunters & fight anti-hunting & restrictive laws. The best $75 any hunter will ever spend. Every hunter at least should belong to SCI & the NRA.
I still just have a problem getting over/around SCI's "legitimizing"/recognizing high-fence/canned hunt "trophies" and supporting the same as hunting.

tbear, by all means, let's take this to a PM thread; I'm willing to learn and change my mind/stance, if you can convince me.
NRA, JPFO, St. Vincent dePaul Society & Knights of Columbus here.
Freedom Riders..I realize all are volunteers but if they were in need of donations I surely would support them..These guys do a tremendous service in keeping idiot protesters away from grieving families laying their heroic warriors to rest..God bless them all for a service above and beyond the call!!!
I still just have a problem getting over/around SCI's "legitimizing"/recognizing high-fence/canned hunt "trophies" and supporting the same as hunting.

tbear, by all means, let's take this to a PM thread; I'm willing to learn and change my mind/stance, if you can convince me.

+ SCI's involvement w/OoA. I forgot to mention the DSC (Dallas Safari Club) that I belong to and support.
National Trappers Association. Trappers are a vulnerable and endangered species. They are a relatively easy target for the antis, but the head of the slippery slope for us all.

Uganda orphans fund - http://www.ugandaorphans.com/ - started by Duncan Hill founder of Hill Rod and Gun in Bozeman MT.

Of course, many of those already listed. Important thread.
I say we support the oldest profession in N.America(prostitution). Here is one of many....

http://www.bayswan.org/PONY.html
NRA
TSRA
SAF
Delta Waterfowl.

BCR
Originally Posted by T LEE
NRA, JPFO, St. Vincent dePaul Society & Knights of Columbus here.

Unfortunately, Aaron Zelman has passed away, and I think JPFO was pretty much a one man show. So, I don't know its status now?
Some excellent groups suggested.

I am a bit surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) to see the dearth of suggestions for/around land conservation groups and/or any "environmental" (for lack of a better term) organizations outside of the TU/DU style groups.

Of course, I'd not be surprised to see a lack of sporting orgs suggested amongst their supporters, either.

A divide that, perhaps, ought not be there or at least as wide as it is?
RMEF.
Originally Posted by Stush
GOA, in addition to the NRA and SAF

What's GOA?
GOA = "Gun Owners of America"
D.U. Ducks Unlimited.
Some excellent groups suggested.

I am a bit surprised (perhaps I shouldn't be) to see the dearth of suggestions for/around land conservation groups and/or any "environmental" (for lack of a better term) organizations outside of the TU/DU style groups.

Of course, I'd not be surprised to see a lack of sporting orgs suggested amongst their supporters, either.

A divide that, perhaps, ought not be there or at least as wide as it is?
A very VERY good point and let me make a suggestion then. Many land conservation groups are either explicity, or quietly anti-hunting. Some in fact or anti-human. Meaning, they are all about saving land for critters but in way too many cases do NOT want a human footprint on that land. Yet they often use OUR funds (public tax dollars) to enforce their misguided ideals. I will not call them out specifically but simply encourage people to research the groups they support and/or those they think are doing us (outdoorsmen and women, the REAL stewards of the land and creatures) a favor and what they are actually doing.
Let me suggest "The Trust For Public Land." http://www.tpl.org/ They specifically have as their mission "Land for People". They have added thousands of acres of huntable lands to WMAs (Wildlife Management areas which are Georgia's state managed hunting lands)and the like in my state alone and are indeed a good friend of us, the "hook and bullet crowd". They support other conservation uses, such as parks, working lands (farms) etc...
They are currently the only outdoors related organization I support. I have supported DU, RMEF, etc... previously.
If anyone knows of another (non critter specific) land conservation organization that supports lands for hunting and fishing uses I'd love to hear about it.
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Freedom Riders..I realize all are volunteers but if they were in need of donations I surely would support them..These guys do a tremendous service in keeping idiot protesters away from grieving families laying their heroic warriors to rest..God bless them all for a service above and beyond the call!!!

+1 Great group of guys! I used to be on Funeral Details as an NCO, and these guys were a tremendous relief to both the families and to us Soldiers. They helped keep us from beating down a group of protesters in the street.
The fur industry.
in regards to TNC pro hunting policies http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/07/10/mccormickquits10_07.html

wonder is all the bunny huggers that support TNC are aware of this?

more good stuff
http://www.animalliberationfront.com/AR_Orgs/proHuntWildlifeOrgs.htm

ML
http://www.goptrust.com/
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
in regards to TNC pro hunting policies http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/07/10/mccormickquits10_07.html

more good stuff

ML
There is a reason 'bunny huggers' support them. Umm.... think about what you just posted. A 3 1/2 year old article about a pro-hunting (as defined by a self admitted anti-hunting group) president LEAVING and an article by an anti hunting terrorist organziation that labels Audubon Society, the National Wildlife Federation, the Nature Conservancy, the Sierra Club, the World Wildlife Foundation as PRO hunting! shocked (That is a cut and paste of organizations from their website, not my edited list.)

I do believe this is a classic case of .... "consider the source". wink

My point, and I didn't intend to name any organizations in particular, about TNC is this. Yes they allow hunting on SOME of their properties but I honestly believe they view hunters as 'useful idiots'. Meaning, you give them something (free labor etc.) and they 'may' allow 'some' hunting on 'some' of their lands IF and... this is key... it fits in with their agenda. The problem is, their agenda is generally one of protecting a particular NON-GAME species or habitat specific to that species. It is never about conserving "hunting lands". Now please don't misunderstand, butterflies need protecting too.... wink but I believe the point of the thread was about which organizations are the MOST deserving of hunters dollars.
I think TNC is a great organization that does great things for land conservation and have a personal pending transactino with them. No, they are not perfect nor is any other org. But should they be the first place for HUNTING dollars for land conservation? I think there are better places.
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
good thread Sean

I'd ask for you guys to consider adding to your list the DAV (disabled American Veterans)

they do a good job of keeping administration costs reasonable so a goodly portion of your funds go to the guys that paid a hell of a price for our freedoms

it's been my privilege to be in their Commanders Club for over 10 years running.

all of our freedoms are worth supporting and the groups that work to do so in our behalf

but without men and women willing to make the ultimate sacrifice it's just words on paper

god bless our troops

Agreed their program for voluntary transportation of Vets to and from the various VA Medical Facilities throughout the country is an excellent service. A lot of Vets are able to get the treatment they are entitled to through this service.

I drove one of the DAV Vans for years here off the Olympic Peninsula to VAMC Seattle and it is a service that helps veterans to and from their homes to VA Medical Facilities at no cost to the Veteran.
If you are concerned about the future of hunting, SCI is the clear leader.
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Originally Posted by Mntngoat

more good stuff

ML
There is a reason 'bunny huggers' support them. Umm.... think about what you just posted. A 3 1/2 year old article about a pro-hunting (as defined by a self admitted anti-hunting group) president LEAVING and an article by an anti hunting terrorist organziation that labels Audubon Society, the National Wildlife Federation, the Nature Conservancy, the Sierra Club, the World Wildlife Foundation as PRO hunting! shocked (That is a cut and paste of organizations from their website, not my edited list.)

I do believe this is a classic case of .... "consider the source". wink

My point, and I didn't intend to name any organizations in particular, about TNC is this. Yes they allow hunting on SOME of their properties but I honestly believe they view hunters as 'useful idiots'. Meaning, you give them something (free labor etc.) and they 'may' allow 'some' hunting on 'some' of their lands IF and... this is key... it fits in with their agenda. The problem is, their agenda is generally one of protecting a particular NON-GAME species or habitat specific to that species. It is never about conserving "hunting lands". Now please don't misunderstand, butterflies need protecting too.... wink but I believe the point of the thread was about which organizations are the MOST deserving of hunters dollars.
I think TNC is a great organization that does great things for land conservation and have a personal pending transactino with them. No, they are not perfect nor is any other org. But should they be the first place for HUNTING dollars for land conservation? I think there are better places.

As far as TNC seeing hunters as "useful idiots", I beg to disagree. Having worked for, and with, them, that's far from true.

No, they are not a "hunting first" group, but their actions have secured millions of acres for future generations to be able to hunt, fish, hike, camp, trap, etc. Look to the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, alone for verification.

And, again, the lack of such groups being being mentioned perhaps says something...
Just two for me:
1) LAGNAF
2) DILLIGAF
Swedish Bikini team.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire