Home
Posted By: atvalaska Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Any of u get/had this? A few choice cuss word are welcome here. Well this past weekend was my b-day so we started off Friday with a big old beef t-bone, beer, then Saturday a salt incrusted moose roast all the fixings to go with them and more beer, Sundays supper was big lasagna with sour cream on top after a few beers�..... Monday morning was: BIG -RED PAINFULL- LEFT TOE, its been years since I had it..and I know what brings it on ..but it was my b-day wink!!!
Drink an 8 ounce glass of Dark Cherry Juice, as soon as it starts. It works wonders and does so quickly. Has to be the dark. If you can not find just the juice, I have found that you can get a can of dark cherries (normally used for pie filling) and eat that and it does just as well. Something in it breaks up the acid crystals that cause all the pain. Try it now and thank me later! (grin) TM
Yep, real 100% black cherry juice or even dried cherries work.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
I have only had gout once, in one of my toes.
It hurt, but not as much as the medication they gave me for it!
eek
Posted By: EWY Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Add me to the list of cherry juice believers.

Ernie
Indomethacin and colchicine are your friends. Drink as much water as you can hold.

I wouldn't wish gout on Obama.

Posted By: sargent Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Organic cider vinegar helps.
Drink 32 oz of cherry juice and a gallon of water every day until it subsides.

I've had it 3 times, last bout was during Christmas vacation.
Posted By: SSB Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
The cherry juice doesn't have the prune juice eefect does it?.....if so at least it would take your mind off it.....
I suffered from that stuff for several years, would miss at least a week every year from it. Doc put me on Allopurinol and haven't had a bout since. Sure worked for me.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Don't stop eating cherries / drinking cherry juice just because gout symptoms subside. The purine crystals don't just show up and go away -- they stay there and can cause significant joint damage, even without an acute attack.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or some such... FWIW, Dutch.
Originally Posted by SSB
The cherry juice doesn't have the prune juice eefect does it?.....if so at least it would take your mind off it.....

No, but I find it hard to drink a quart of it in one sitting.

I have some gout pain most days even with daily doses of Allopurinal. Cherrie juice or cherries in any form do seem to help. Some think rasberries and blueberries help also but, it is not as well proven. If cherry juice is too tart; it mixes well with other liquids even beer.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Uloric is a new FDA approved drug, and has far exceeded Allopurinol in controlling my gout.

I never, EVER, want to have to take Colchicine again. sick

rb
Posted By: Gus Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
a gout remedy pharmaceutical adversement has been running on tv lately. can't remember the name of it, but there's this guy totin' a big beaker of green licquid around. i don't know if that is the medicine or the reason the medicine is needed.
Posted By: SSB Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
I know last year I went deer hunting on crutches due to the stuff. it's nothing to mess with!
+1 on the cherry juice i get it in the concentrate a just throw down a t-spoon full once a week. Aint good but has worked so far.
My DAD had in his big toes and my brother has it in his thumbs and THANK GOD as of yet I have no problem with it.Skeeter
Posted By: shreck Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Haven't had an episode in years but that is the most pain I have ever experienced.
I can pop some allapurinol and it only lasts for about 8-10 hours.
Had it in BOTH big toes once.
I hadda crawl on my knees, keeping my toes from touching the ground, into the bathroom so I could piss in the bathtub.
Posted By: byc Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Had a brief encounter with it when I played soccer/rugby in College. Lots of drinking going on after all those matches. Benched me for about a month. Definitely ranks in the top 3 for most painful.
Definitely ranks in the top 3 for most painful.

Holy crap, what were the other two?
I hope not eek
Posted By: byc Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Shoulder/rotator cuff/collarbone and sciatica. Truth be known they were all about equal but the shoulder was by far the worst. Had me in tears for a long time. Still ain't right.

Having said the above gout would be the worst of the 3 that I would not wish on anyone.
I had a big needle stuck into my ankle joint so some fluid could be drawn out.
Took two Marines and a corpsman to hold me down and everyone overlooked that I threatened a US Naval Officer with serious bodily harm while underway on a US Naval vessel.

I banged a gouty toe once, that hurt worse.
Posted By: Ken14 Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/01/11
Probably the worst pain Ive ever had...Ibuprofen, lots of water...the cherries seemed to help as well...mine was so bad that It hurt to have a blanket laying on it while in bed...

I wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery.
I've been lucky not to have had it, but Kidney stones will definately get your attention. I just hope I never get it. A friend has had it a couple of times and put's him down.
Well i'm drink'in cherry juice, sucks taste wise. Maybe a few beers tonite to get it thur the system faster...
Posted By: byc Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/02/11
Been awhile since I had it but as I recall alcohol was the last thing that lends to a quick heal of gout. Maybe things have changed. Although, if I had gout right now I'd have a stiff Knob Creek. Maybe 2-3.

Godspeed recovery for sure as I know it's painful!
Posted By: rrroae Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/02/11
Originally Posted by byc
Had a brief encounter with it when I played soccer/rugby in College. Lots of drinking going on after all those matches.

Man, brings back memories.

...drinking out of dirty boots, Barnicle Bill the sailor,....my stomach hurts just thinking about it.
Gout is a mean dirty bastard.
Posted By: byc Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/02/11
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by byc
Had a brief encounter with it when I played soccer/rugby in College. Lots of drinking going on after all those matches.

Man, brings back memories.

...drinking out of dirty boots, Barnicle Bill the sailor,....my stomach hurts just thinking about it.

Yup! Post-match we'd go downtown Charleston to a place called Captain Harry's Blue Marlin. The place was a hell hole but packed full with the best of the best and the worst of the worst. Drinking out of whatever or whomever they could find. DHEC had a field day with Capt's Harry's but they left it alone.

It was that kind of joint. In fact, a gout joint. wink
Posted By: 1B Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/02/11
Watch out for docs who over prescribe diuretics. They can dry out your kidneys and lots of bad things happen then. All your other meds become stronger acting because they are not being passed. And uric acid builds up -- presto, you've got gout. Colchicine worked for me w/o any side effects but YMMV.

1B

I wouldn't wish gout on Obama.

I would and more......
I've had serious gout years ago. Now if any symptoms appear I just watch my diet closely for a few days.

I would rate gall stones right up near the top for excruciating pain. Haven't had kidney stones but imagine they would be about the same.

Jim
Posted By: 30338 Re: Gout, even the word hurts. - 03/02/11
Had a series of gout attacks. The bad news, you could get a kidney stone attack brought on by having uric acid levels which are too high. That hit me a year ago. I'll call it a dead heat for pain, but instant replay showed the kidney stones edging out the gout. Good luck and a lot of good advice on the thread.
A friend's son had gout real bad, allopurinol did no good at all. A shot of organic apple cider and a large tbs. of honey in a glass of water 3 times a day(and Diet) cured him. Best of luck.
Allan

PS ;I drink vinegar for high blood sugar.
© 24hourcampfire