Home
Posted By: JohnMoses Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Ryan informs me he wants to transfer to LSU. Only problem is, he is not considered a resident, which mean out of state tuition fees.

His wonderful Mom, who lives in Mississippi has claimed him since we divorced, even though she has never paid for his education, vehicles, Insurance, medical insurance and received child support.

The real kicker is this crap is all over a freakin' girl (who is sweet as she can be, but they ain't married)...

I just got off the phone with him after explaining he doesn't meet the residency requirements by a long shot.

I made 20K less last year than the year before, I'm down about 37K from 3 years ago.

He's a good kid, but I ain't phuggin' paying thousands more so he can be closer to his girlfriend.

JM
Fear not. True love will find a way (but you don't necessarily have to be involved)!

Prayers sent.
Oh, oh - blonde? >grin<

Looks like you'll have to take a second job "Dad".
Just convince him it is not that far a drive to Baton Rouge from any school in Mississippi!
Posted By: tzone Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Time for the boy to learn a lesson in Econ 101
Posted By: isaac Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Agree to pay only that amount equal to your proportionate share of his resident in-state costs,whatever that may be from 0 to 100%. He pulls loans for the remainder.

My son's 3 year girlfriend, who moved to Santa Barbara after HS, almost had me in your same predicament until my son found out she'd been getting the bottom knocked out by some California photographer. I was so grateful,I wanted to buy her a condo for making me one of the happiest dads on the planet and because of the money she saved me.

You're a very bright man and your brain,along with necesity, will get you to the right way to handle it.
If he wants it that bad, let him foot the difference.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
How old is he JM?
JM,

Check and see if LSU has an academic waiver program. My son and daughter-in -law (both from Texas) went to school in NW Louisiana and were able to have the out of state tuition waived due to their higher acedemic standing. Saved a bundle. If his grades are good, and if LSU has the program, it might be worth a look.

Kaywoodie
Posted By: okok Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Prayers sent. wink
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
How old is he JM?

=========

love will find a way, or it ain't love. i agree with paying what you pay now. boy can get loans or a job to make up the difference. this will be a great "learning experience" for him.
See if there are any agreements between LA and MS about higher ed.

In the west there is WICHE, where if your state universities don't offer a certain program, you can go to another states university that does, for in-state tuition. Wyoming folks used to go to U of Arizona for Mining Engineering.

Or tell him to suck it up, concentrate on his studies, and when he shows you the 4.0 for 18 units a semester, you'll talk.

Sycamore
Posted By: okok Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Originally Posted by isaac
How old is he JM?

=========

Year older than me. :>)
Posted By: TLB2 Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Originally Posted by okok
Prayers sent. wink

+1
As Dave Ramsey says . . . .

NOWHERE is is written that you OWE your children a college education!

Help and let them foot some of the bill . . .

Summer job may well be searching out and getting a lot of unknown little scholarships that are available.

Work is likely to be a new experience for quite a few.
If he's wanting to switch University's to chase a girl, how serious is he about his education in the first place?..................DJ
Originally Posted by djpaintless
If he's wanting to switch University's to chase a girl, how serious is he about his education in the first place?..................DJ

That.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Really...there needs to be a BUNCH of girls to make it worth switching.... whistle

A bunch of girls or just one girl that is equal to a bunch. If this isn't your son, then you should count your blessings.

Now you can really vomit...

[Linked Image]
Tell him to get a J-O-B and pay for it himself. My brother went to school out of state too. He had to work full time to pay for it.

Originally Posted by shrapnel

A bunch of girls or just one girl that is equal to a bunch. If this isn't your son, then you should count your blessings.

[Linked Image]

I wonder if he was born w/o a brain, or if he lost it after birth?
When my boys were in college, we told them how much a month we could help and beyond that, they were on their own. They both went to a good state university and worked their way through. They both had some student loans but they paid them off themselves.
How old is he JM?

=========

u been crackin me up today, tks for that
Posted By: Tim M Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
just say no. wanting something doesnt mean that someone else is required to provide it for you.
say, he's not some knd of dimmicrat is he?
We will help our kids out with some expenses, but there is no way we will be footing the bill. Our kids know they are expected to do their job in high school and earn scholarships, and also work while in College. My wife and I paid our way and expect the same. We paid for law school and pharmacy school ourselves, and can't see footing the bill for our kids. They have to learn to stand on their own. What better time to prepare for the realities of life than college.
It'd be cheaper to just buy him a hooker.
I let my kids pay their own education expenses, just like my Dad did for me.
It helps them make sounder choices.
I think you know the answer, JM.
Posted By: okie Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Originally Posted by shrapnel

[Linked Image]

I guess we know who eats all the groceries in this family!!!
How in the world did you get my neighbor's wedding pics ?

[Linked Image]

Denny.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Exactly,
I did that with my daughter. I had saved and budgeted for her to attend OSU or other State University.
When she insisted on going out of state, I gave her my blessing as long as she could pay the difference.
She stepped up and did.
Now, she graduates with honors this spring.
I can't be prouder.
I can swing up to Baton Rouge this weekend and do some pile driving and email you some pics for the boy if that will help.
Originally Posted by LouisB
As Dave Ramsey says . . . .

NOWHERE is is written that you OWE your children a college education!

Help and let them foot some of the bill . . .

Summer job may well be searching out and getting a lot of unknown little scholarships that are available.

Work is likely to be a new experience for quite a few.

Doesn't FASFA generate an expected contribution for the parents?

I'm first generation college grad in my family and put myself through. It was definitely worth it. I used to get calls all the time from my school's alumni association fishing for donations, but finally reminded them of how much I worked/paid/borrowed to attend and told them as soon as they're ready to let my kids attend free of charge, we could talk.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can swing up to Baton Rouge this weekend and do some pile driving and email you some pics for the boy if that will help.

and we call hussein narcissistic. laugh
JM - If he wants it that badly then let HIM work for it! If that doesn't sit well with him - send him to mommy and let her step up and be responsible for something! Steelhead - you are a true pal! grin
Can't blame the boy for wanting to upgrade his SEC status.

To me, it's a rather simple economic decision. Either you can financially swing it or you can't. My son's mom couldn't afford her court ordered share of college and I wasn't going to punish my son's mom so I paid it. I paid every dime of my college and law school expenses and I swore to myself before my son was born that I wasn't going to burden him with a 100K plus debt when he graduated. I'm grateful crime and divorces are still a growth economy here and I was able to swing it.

If I couldn't afford it,the only remaining option would have been certainly obvious,right?
JM, is he going to graduate? if so, what's the beef.

I'll pay you too! LOL.

A little background:

He's 19 yrs. old, will be 20 in May. He maintains a B average and works 30 hrs a week from Feb thru May then 40 hrs throughout the summer every year @ Helena Chemical. He has worked there since he was 15 and his degree will be in Ag. Science, as they have offered him a Chemical Rep job when he graduates.

Great company and they have really helped and looked after him. The Reps make a killing.

He didn't ask for any additional help when he sprung this on me and said he could make it work.

I'm just a little worried. I don't want him saddled with student loan debt coming out of school.

Chances are the girl will be gone by then and he'll have a nice fat monthly note to remind him of her.

JM

Maybe he could negotiate for some asistance from Helena Chemical and pay it back while employed ther, if it's required.
We talked about that. His boss had said they have programs, but I'm not sure how long the indentured servitude would last or the details.

Ryan is against it because if he gets a better offer upon graduation he wants to be able to consider it.

Unlike his Dad, the boy is all about the green. Must be kin to you. grin

JM
At 40 hours a week, employed by Chemical, each summer, he'd be well ahead of the game though,wouldn't he?
JM - Sounds like your son has got his head on straight! I'm betting that he'll do well which ever way he chooses!
At 40 hours a week, employed by Chemical, each summer, he'd be well ahead of the game though,wouldn't he?

You would think...He rat holes a little money, but insists on having his own house, so lease payments and utilities soak up a bunch. He's got a good gig going now. Just hate to see it get scrambled over a chick.

Oh well, I told him this a.m. he would be on his own making up the difference.
I hear you,buddy. Seems as though the family has it's head on right,though. It will work out.
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Note from college, son to father, return.

"No mon, no fun, your son".

"Too bad, so sad, your Dad".
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
He's got a good gig going now. Just hate to see it get scrambled over a chick.

JM: You'll have to have the " This is only ONE way chicks are expensive..." talk with him...
There are far worse things a man can do in his lifetime than what your son is considering.

Technology can be improved upon from generation to generation but we all have to go through the same learning curve on love, hate, lust, greed etc and no one can do it for us.
Suggest he wait a semester and see how he feels after that. All kinds of things that can go wrong. His education should be paramount, after all that's why he's there.

If he wants to do it on his own just make sure he has all your advice (I'm sure he does already laugh ).
Posted By: temmi Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
I know your pain...

My 2nd son went to LSU and we had to pay out of state tuition fees.

It really hurt...

and we had 2 other sons in University in Texas... In State.

But we did it and we got past it.

Good luck

T
How old is he JM?

=========

Are you serious??????

At that age he should have been on his own for at least 8 years. Let him fend for himself!!
How old is he JM?

=========

Are you serious??????

At that age he should have been on his own for at least 8 years. Let him fend for himself!!

Bungee kids. It happens.
Keith...the kid is actually 19..Bob made a bet and well....you know.... wink
Bob lied to me? shocked.............hmmmm wait until this fall antelope hunting.....yes Bob that buck is a good one...trust me.... whistle ......hmmm Bob horns must have fell off somehwere after you shot! laugh
John,

Here's whatcha do.

Tell Ryan to buy a leopard print thong.

Then .........................

Do a little dance, make a little love.

And .......................

Have him tell her to transfer to his college.

This is straight out of the Poobah playbook. It'll work. Trust me. wink

I don't know. He sounds like a pretty smart young man with a plan to me. wink
He'll be fine JM and better for the experience.
Doing things your parents think are foolish for an LSU babe huh? I think I can relate.... grin

I'll pay you too! LOL.

A little background:

He's 19 yrs. old, will be 20 in May. He maintains a B average and works 30 hrs a week from Feb thru May then 40 hrs throughout the summer every year @ Helena Chemical. He has worked there since he was 15 and his degree will be in Ag. Science, as they have offered him a Chemical Rep job when he graduates.

Great company and they have really helped and looked after him. The Reps make a killing.

He didn't ask for any additional help when he sprung this on me and said he could make it work.

I'm just a little worried. I don't want him saddled with student loan debt coming out of school.

Chances are the girl will be gone by then and he'll have a nice fat monthly note to remind him of her.

JM

Youth is wasted on the young, sigh.........
That is one of your finer points, always willing to help!
Originally Posted by fish head
John,

Here's whatcha do.

Tell Ryan to buy a leopard print thong.

Then .........................

Do a little dance, make a little love.

And .......................

Have him tell her to transfer to his college.

This is straight out of the Poobah playbook. It'll work. Trust me. wink

Now that should his attention. I second the motion.
I know I have the correct answer for you JM, I just don't have enough pertinent info to work with.

if you have any scantily clad pix of the young lady in question I believe we could offer better advice to you. Kapisch?

you can thank me later
Do you have any idea of how much the transfer will set him back in his graduation? Such transfers are not w/o consequences - regardless of the monetary issues.
Tell him to get a JOB.

JOB - the principal activity in your life that you do to earn money

I was working 40 hours a week and getting my undergrad in business. OH, and I graduated in 3.5 years, so I could save 9 G's.

I went to University of Montana for an Undergrad, it was $17,000 a year when I went and I had a few thousand in scholarships. I worked my ass off, got out with a 3.3 which isn't great, but not bad.

My parents saved some money to help with school, but I wasn't going to blow it on a $40,000 a year school which meant I only had a year or two of education, but I was working the whole time, and guiding in the summer to pay for all the extras and to save some money for plans for a house etc in the future.

I had to take some student loans to get a Master's Degree, mortgaged myself to the hilt and bought a house so my fiance and I didn't have to rent. Remodeled the house during my Master's and worked 30+ hours a week to pay the mortgage. Sold the house after my Master's Degree (3.94 GPA), made a nice chunk of change on it, so my school Loans were paid and I had a downpayment on our next house.

IMHO, tell him he can move, but he has to cover the difference in price, (student loans, a job etc). It's NOT your problem, you want to take care of your kid and provide for him, but there is a time he's gotta learn responsibility for his actions, and now seems like a perfect time.
Good job during school? Guaranteed good job when he graduates?

He'd be INSANE to leave that!
Posted By: byc Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11

Uh HELLO! While I appreciate your altruism JM is there any one of us who attended University but did not exit with some degree of student loan payback? Heck, I thought NDSL owned me for my first 10 years out of college. Were it not for some money to play sports I'd still be paying those loans. But the required payback made me get off my azzz and go to work for a tiny company called Microsoft. For me anyway those student loans help to motivate more so than not.

BTW if he really wants to step up his game and attend a real SEC school then he should be going to USCe ...;)
My payback was time based not monetarily, but a payback nonetheless.
Another distraction I forgot to mention is LSU is 79 miles from Natchez and my Dad, only 66 miles from our hunting camp.

The old man is a bad influence, as he is retired and thinks everyone else is too. Ryan moved down with Dad for the summer when he was 14. Dad had him a job lined up so I was glad.

I found out later there was no job and they fished every [bleep]' day.

I know he is thinking about the camp because he asked me if his air card would work there...
Grandfather's revenge. I can't wait for my time.

My son's 3 year girlfriend, who moved to Santa Barbara after HS, almost had me in your same predicament until my son found out she'd been getting the bottom knocked out by some California photographer. I was so grateful,I wanted to buy her a condo for making me one of the happiest dads on the planet and because of the money she saved me.

Coffeesnot all over my keyboard, Bob. Damn, our next visit at huntin' camp is gonna be costly for you!!!
Tell him to get the girl to move back to his school. Let her parents foot the bill...
My oldest gave up a full-ride scholarship, in engineering, to SD School of Mines, so she could go to Lincoln - because her boyfriend was there.

If it weren't for the grandkids, I'd still be mad.

Johnny $
Posted By: Nail Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Ryan informs me he wants to transfer to LSU. Only problem is, he is not considered a resident, which mean out of state tuition fees.

So where is he currently attending school?
Use Al Swearengen's line To Bullock in season 2, episode 1 of Deadwood: "Bullock, the world abounds in c*nt of every kind, including hers".
Posted By: Nail Re: Uhg. Think I will vomit now. - 03/23/11
Al were a prophet of sorts....grin
Tell him you will pay what in-state tuition costs (or whatever amount you were planning on) and then he can make up the difference. Sometimes we have to give them the "pink slip" on their life to sink or swim a bit on their own. My own son is wanting to go out to CA to a musical performance school. I said " not a great idea, but if you want to, you pay, if you want to stay in real school, I will continue to pay".
© 24hourcampfire