Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Do you have any idea of how much the transfer will set him back in his graduation? Such transfers are not w/o consequences - regardless of the monetary issues.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tell him to get a JOB.

JOB - the principal activity in your life that you do to earn money

I was working 40 hours a week and getting my undergrad in business. OH, and I graduated in 3.5 years, so I could save 9 G's.

I went to University of Montana for an Undergrad, it was $17,000 a year when I went and I had a few thousand in scholarships. I worked my ass off, got out with a 3.3 which isn't great, but not bad.

My parents saved some money to help with school, but I wasn't going to blow it on a $40,000 a year school which meant I only had a year or two of education, but I was working the whole time, and guiding in the summer to pay for all the extras and to save some money for plans for a house etc in the future.

I had to take some student loans to get a Master's Degree, mortgaged myself to the hilt and bought a house so my fiance and I didn't have to rent. Remodeled the house during my Master's and worked 30+ hours a week to pay the mortgage. Sold the house after my Master's Degree (3.94 GPA), made a nice chunk of change on it, so my school Loans were paid and I had a downpayment on our next house.

IMHO, tell him he can move, but he has to cover the difference in price, (student loans, a job etc). It's NOT your problem, you want to take care of your kid and provide for him, but there is a time he's gotta learn responsibility for his actions, and now seems like a perfect time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good job during school? Guaranteed good job when he graduates?

He'd be INSANE to leave that!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I'm just a little worried. I don't want him saddled with student loan debt coming out of school.

Uh HELLO! While I appreciate your altruism JM is there any one of us who attended University but did not exit with some degree of student loan payback? Heck, I thought NDSL owned me for my first 10 years out of college. Were it not for some money to play sports I'd still be paying those loans. But the required payback made me get off my azzz and go to work for a tiny company called Microsoft. For me anyway those student loans help to motivate more so than not.

BTW if he really wants to step up his game and attend a real SEC school then he should be going to USCe ...;)

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My payback was time based not monetarily, but a payback nonetheless.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another distraction I forgot to mention is LSU is 79 miles from Natchez and my Dad, only 66 miles from our hunting camp.

The old man is a bad influence, as he is retired and thinks everyone else is too. Ryan moved down with Dad for the summer when he was 14. Dad had him a job lined up so I was glad.

I found out later there was no job and they fished every [bleep]' day.

I know he is thinking about the camp because he asked me if his air card would work there...

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Grandfather's revenge. I can't wait for my time.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by isaac

My son's 3 year girlfriend, who moved to Santa Barbara after HS, almost had me in your same predicament until my son found out she'd been getting the bottom knocked out by some California photographer. I was so grateful,I wanted to buy her a condo for making me one of the happiest dads on the planet and because of the money she saved me.

Coffeesnot all over my keyboard, Bob. Damn, our next visit at huntin' camp is gonna be costly for you!!!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tell him to get the girl to move back to his school. Let her parents foot the bill...
My oldest gave up a full-ride scholarship, in engineering, to SD School of Mines, so she could go to Lincoln - because her boyfriend was there.

If it weren't for the grandkids, I'd still be mad.

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Ryan informs me he wants to transfer to LSU. Only problem is, he is not considered a resident, which mean out of state tuition fees.

So where is he currently attending school?

What about guns?When do we get guns?
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Use Al Swearengen's line To Bullock in season 2, episode 1 of Deadwood: "Bullock, the world abounds in c*nt of every kind, including hers".

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Al were a prophet of sorts....grin

What about guns?When do we get guns?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Tell him you will pay what in-state tuition costs (or whatever amount you were planning on) and then he can make up the difference. Sometimes we have to give them the "pink slip" on their life to sink or swim a bit on their own. My own son is wanting to go out to CA to a musical performance school. I said " not a great idea, but if you want to, you pay, if you want to stay in real school, I will continue to pay".

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1100mag, 160user, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 15,281 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,213
Posts18,543,698
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.