Home
Posted By: tommyd53 Worst Baseball TV Announcers - 04/01/11
Tim McCarver.....#1 douche
Originally Posted by tommyd53

I hear that a lot, but don't really understand the angst about McCarver. He knows the game, is really good at pointing out the finer points.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Worst Baseball TV Announcers - 04/01/11
He can't any more than tie Joe Morgan.
Posted By: tzone Re: Worst Baseball TV Announcers - 04/01/11

His partner...Joe Buck. I can't stand him as a baseball or football announcer.

I don't mind McCarver.
Their all the same. I HATE BASEBALL. It's okay to paly, but it isn't a spectator sport, imho
As a pair, Buck and McCarver, are the worst. Both should stick with football.
I agree he knows the game. He was a great catcher and caught one of the very best, Bob Gibson. But why does he feel like he needs to explain the game as though he's talking to an audience that's never heard of baseball?
Originally Posted by Barkoff

I hear that a lot, but don't really understand the angst about McCarver. He knows the game, is really good at pointing out the finer points.
The guy who once observed the young lovers in front of him and remarked (on air) "Ah - young lovers - looks like they've got it down to a science - he kisses her on the strikes - and she kisses him on the balls".

It was then the co-announcer spit up his drink. grin
I agree he knows the game. He was a great catcher and caught one of the very best, Bob Gibson. But why does he feel like he needs to explain the game as though he's talking to an audience that's never heard of baseball?

Well I played until I was 25, and still learn small nuisances of the game listening to him. I mean he isn't exactly explaining the infield fly, his observations usually go deeper. Can't say you are wrong in your opinion, I hear the same from a lot of fans.
I grew up listening to Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blattner. Falstaff beer was one of the major sponsors. Ol' Diz was a hoot.
All of them except Vinny
Least favorite-Joe Morgan.

Favorite (tie)-Vin Scully and Bob Uecker

Juuuuuust a bit outside.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Posted By: GeoW Re: Worst Baseball TV Announcers - 04/01/11
Originally Posted by MColeman
I grew up listening to Dizzy Dean and Buddy Blattner. Falstaff beer was one of the major sponsors. Ol' Diz was a hoot.

"He slud into third there as you seen on yer screen"

That the one Mickey? grin

g
Posted By: KDK Re: Worst Baseball TV Announcers - 04/01/11
I hate to speak ill of the recently departed, but Dave Neihaus of the Mariners would cause me to turn off the game.

A referee told this story once, said McCarver was on his way out to the bump to talk to Gibson, he made it a bout three steps out of the batters box. Gibson yelled " turn around, the only thing you know about pitching is you can't hit it"
I like Bert. laugh
Circle me,daggit!

Me too! Saturday Baseball Game-of-the-Week as I recall.

WN
When I first started watching it was dizzy and Peewee Reece. Seemed like every game was a Yankee game.
Oh what a topic! smile

Mc Carver drives me nuts because he explains EVEREYTHING like he is talking to kindergarteners....

Joe Morgan needs to take an English class...

But the worst, and I mean the absolute worst, I mean he will make you puke in your mouth, is Jerry Coleman for San Diego. I can't listen to him... He BUTCHRES the game!

I have had 50 years of listening to Vin Scully of the Dodgers, the absolute Master of baseball play by play.

Ovis_Chaser
Growing up in So. Cal, the only reason I listened to Dodger games, was because of Vin. He weaves a story throughout the game, that is just magical.

You want bad...listen to the dopes for the Tx. Rangers.

I loved Diz and Pewee Reese together. Diz once said "Look at that! He slupt when he slud into second."

You just don't get that play-byplay anymore. whistle

Originally Posted by fluffy
I like Bert. laugh
Circle me,daggit!

I like Blyleven also... He makes the game fun.. But Uecker is my favorite to listen to on the radio.. He's the only reason I ever listen to a Brewers game..
The guys who do the Indians games are really bad. If a call goes against their team, they'll still be obsessing over it four innings later. Announcers from Tampa Bay are also pretty bad.

McCarver does over analyze. He would be more enjoyable if he would talk half as much. But I have learned a lot from him and I think he is far from the worst announcer in MLB.
on radio...in Cleveland Ohio
Mudcat ( Mudflap ) Grant!
Joe Morgan....next would be McCarver going over every little basic detail of the game, like he's coaching a little league team. I loved it when Deon Sanders dumped a bucket of water on his head.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Worst Baseball TV Announcers - 04/02/11
Morgan sidekick, Jon Miller, has a mouth full of nothing at all to add to the game. Glad they're gone from ESPN Sundays!
Originally Posted by Ovis_Chaser

McCarver drives me nuts because he explains EVERYTHING like he is talking to kindergartners....

Joe Morgan needs to take an English class...

BINGO..!

You guys got it all wrong. Its the diamondbacks announcing crew.
I am very happy that Morgan and Miller are gone from the Sunday night ESPN crew... While Miller is a skilled play by play man, he couldn�t keep from being a Giants homer... Bringing up the Giants and Barry Bonds even when it wasn�t relevant. Or as Morgan would say Barerrie Bonds...

Miller's Spanish speaking ability is fantastic... I have to give him props on that. He is the most skilled bi-lingual announcer in the big leagues. I am glad he made the Hall of Fame... Morgan belongs in the Hall of Shame! Ovis_Chaser
tim mcarver and joe buck SUCK ! I PUT THE T.V ON MUTE AND LISTENED TO THE RADIO BROADCAST during the playoffs.

favorite was dave neihouse, and of course harry carey. his kid skip isn't to bad
After the pleasure of listening to the likes of HOF'ers Ernie Harwell, Al Kaline & George Kell (the Tigers have been VERY fortunate in this regard) nearly ALL the rest suck to me.

Vin Scully and Uecker are about the best. Rest all suck.......
Seems like most folks don't like the network guys like Buck and McCarver. Should let the local broadcast crew do all the TV games especially the playoffs. Phillies had Harry Kallas and Richie Ashburn for the longest time and they were a pleasure to listen to on TV or the radio. Before that By Sahm, another great broadcast voice. All homers but they also had some insight too.

Watching the Yankees/Tigers game right now. These two knuckleheads, Buck/McCarver, can't shutup. Let the game happen.
Jon Miller is the the worst that I have heard. Joe Morgan is next. Together they make a game unwatchable.

I started watching baseball because of the Atlanta Braves TBS crew in the early 90's, especially Skip Carey. I miss him badly. However, his son Skip is completely excellent and his partner Joe Simpson provides a great battery mate. Watching a game with them is like watching it with good friends. I rarely miss a game.

I think Vin Scully is the best there has ever been.

RS
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan, the best in the business....

McCarver is horrible, and is a moron!!!
And I'd strike any of you DSMFers OUT!!!!
Hahhahaha
ESPN as a whole... outta New England. How much more of a Boston love fest can we get?... Another Red Sox movie / documentary, being advertised... how bout' a money trail movie, of the various taxes paid by sox / yanks to teams like the Twins, so that they can pay a catcher 189 mil, for 9 homers!
© 24hourcampfire