Home
Posted By: boatme99 Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Seeing posts about different types of music, I just want to say-I'm in my late 50s so I grew up with everything from Frankie valli (puke), to punk and beyond. But in the last few years I've found that I've drifted almost exclusively to classical and jazz. And yes, I did listen to both all while growing up. I don't even want to listen to my old music anymore, I'm finding it boring.
What's really bad is I now live in Tennessee (think Nashville processed country)and am severly limited in radio fare.
How about you other folks in my age group? Tired of Yes, CCR, Willie?

Don't like polka.
With the exception of head banging stuff, there's really not much I can't appreciate provided there is actually some talent.
That includes Classics, Contemporary Christian, Jazz, R&B, Big Band, Blue Grass, Country, Classical, Zydeco wink really most everything. OK, so I don't like rap. As a 'yoot' I actually didn't mind it all but way back then they weren't rapping about raping women and killing cops. I used to hate country as a young gun. Now if I was limited to only one genre, I guess that would probably be it.
No whiny cry in your beer Country,extreme Heavy Metal,Rap of course.. just good vintage Rock+Roll, some newer contemporary stuff,the Blues and good old Motown cool
Posted By: agazain Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
South African (believe it or not) LIKE.
(C)rap DISLIKE
Can't stand most country music. Grew up in the eighties, and graduated around the time grunge hit. Took a few years for grunge to grow on me. When I played guitar, it was more classic blues based rock. Now I hardly listen to any music. If I do it's old motown or classic rock.

PS. When I was in high school, I would listen to gangster rap because it pissed off the older folks. Now that I am older, I listen to it sometimes to piss my friends off.
Posted By: Youper Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
All genres have samples I do not like, but rap, jazz, and modern country are the most consistent performers of same. Classical, rock, bluegrass, and oldtime most consistently provide samples I like. Within classical I avoid modern composers such as Stravinsky. Most seem annoyed by opera, but I enjoy it. In the winter I often do my reloading on Saturday afternoons, and catch the Met on NPR while doing so.
Posted By: EWY Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
I am in my early mid 50's and grew up with two older brothers, so I heard everything from the early Beatles and Stones on up. I still like some of the "classic" rock, but I really can't take the Beatles. My favorite music is from the 90's grunge period. I like some new music but don't listen to music as much as I used to. The last CD I bought was by Shine Down and I also got the last release by Offspring, a band I really like.
No Rap. Can't take much country other than "classic" country or whatever they call the music by Waylon Jennings and his contemporaries. I listened to it as an escape from the disco era (puke).

Ernie
Posted By: Redneck Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Too many 'likes' to mention.. But dislikes are easy:

RAPcrap
HIPHOPcrap
Classical, particularly Piano or Violin Sonatas, and Brazilian Jazz are my favorites.

Give me Chopin or Babel Gilberto any day, over the Lady GaGa and Whitney Houstons.

Babel Gilberto Samba da Bencao
Posted By: maddog Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Originally Posted by Redneck

RAPcrap
HIPHOPcrap

+1!!!

maddog
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Music Stores:
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I rarely look for anything in the Popular section or even in Country ...
I do however in Blues - Bluegrass/Traditional - Jazz - Classical - Alternative ...

Jug Band music is still 'hep'.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
I am 60 and have been listening to music for longer than that. (Mom sang and played the radio a great deal.) I still like rock from the mid-fifties throught the mid-sixties, country from roughly the same time frame, and old hymns. Never have been able to stomach big band or jazz. Many things that have devolved in more recent times can be discounted because they have nothing to do with music.
I like good music.

I dislike bad music.

Brian.
Posted By: antlers Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
I like classic rock and country.
I don't like rap or hip hop...and I don't like people who like it.

Not really. smile
Not a fan of Rap or old school country, some of it that is more rock tempered I can take. Dig Classical a bit.

Prefer bands like Pantera, old Metallica, anything with loud obnoxious guitars. Played guitar in bands off and on for years, so love guys like Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, etc..
I like Motown, Blues, Southern Rock, Rockabilly, Zideco, Texas song writers, and Bob Marley.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
anything bit cRap
FlyboyFlem and Redneck got it pretty right.
Hip-Hop Horsehooey! cry
Posted By: Walker Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Classical music probably takes up close to 90% of my listening time, and it's been that way for about four years, now. I still occasionally like to dig out some early jazz, bluegrass, or classic/progressive rock, though. And I rarely listen to country, anymore, but it does happen.

As for classical tunes, ... some of my favorite composers are Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Sibelius, Schubert, Bruckner, Dvorak, Ravel, Faure, Janacek, and Ives. Mostly instrumental, but some vocal, too. As for opera, I just say "No". grin I mean, .... Who writes those plots?? whistle
Posted By: eh76 Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
No whiny cry in your beer Country, Reba McIncryer

defined it for ya...
likes old school country the kind that makes most folks drink

modern rock, 50's and early 60's rock

grunge and some of the 80's pop music.
I like pretty much everything but Rap, can't stand that schit!
Posted By: HawkI Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
I don't care much for rap or "music" that a computer made, nor "hat" acts.
Posted By: okok Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Anything but Opera and Rap, country in small doses.
'Smart' country doesn't annoy me, the rest of it does. Heard a song this AM about a 'Red Cup' for beer...truly moronic music made specifically for the vast moron market.

Hate rap, hate teeny pop, hate jazz, hate black music, hate busy classical, hate big band, hate...the list goes on.

I enjoy smart & melodic music, the genre is not that important. Nope, I'm not fussy.

RAPcrap
HIPHOPcrap

+3
Posted By: Tony Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Where I essentially now live, in the "city" of Atyrau Kazakhstan, the hotel has MTV'ish "stuff" (I am clueless?) on all of the time. I sit and recognize no one, which ain't all bad because what I see really sucks. I was in university, central coast of California, when MTV arrived and it was a great watch, especially when the neighbors across the street, either Keith or Fofo, dropped by... crazy
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Hate rap, hate teeny pop, hate jazz, hate black music, hate busy classical, hate big band, hate...the list goes on.

That means you hate essentially all rock music as well.

I enjoy smart & melodic music, the genre is not that important. Nope, I'm not fussy.

No, you're just a hipster.

Brian.
Originally Posted by swervinbob
PS. When I was in high school, I would listen to gangster rap because it pissed off the older folks. Now that I am older, I listen to it sometimes to piss my friends off.

I didn't say I liked it. I had a friend who went through a divorce, and we were rooming together. He would come in from work and turn on his cry in my beer country music. And worse yet, he would sing along with it. In my bedroom, I would turn on G&R or Soundgarden real loud to drown it out. Then I found out he liked those bands, so I would plug the speakers into my computer and download some Tupac. Pretty soon all the music stopped.
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit

No, you're just a hipster.

Brian.

I'm a hipster? Nah, I like what I like. I'm not real sure what a 'hipster' is though. Sounds like a dork? Guessing.

I've been a musician for the last 30 years, and I can play 'just about anything' on a guitar, so thrill me with some more of your acumen.
Posted By: rkamp Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11

Likes: Jeff Beck, Weather Report, Peter Bernstein, Joni Mitchell....

Dislikes: Nazi Black Metal, Narco-corridos, Kenny G.
I've been a musician for the last 30 years, and I can play 'just about anything' on a guitar, so thrill me with some more of your acumen.

So what would you play over a 2-5-1 progression in C# ?

Brian.
I'm still trying to figure out what smart and melodic is, if he hates every kind of music.
I like a lot.
Mostly the late 70's to early 90's rock, tunes of my youth.
Some 80's country.

Dislikes?
(Ok, who hates me now? laugh )
Led Zeppelin, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Maddona, Springsteen, Jethro Tull.
And mostly all rap (ok, some Kid Rock is do-able}.

So what would you play over a 2-5-1 progression in C# ?

Brian.

Whatever came to me...and sounds tasteful in an elevator. Simply the most over-used and cliched chord progression in music history, other that a basic blues riff...country music don't count. laugh

I just stated what I disliked, didn't mean to offend you or anyone else.

Do I have to like Jazz music in your world? I can appreciate it when it's well done, but I don't have to like it.
Posted By: okok Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
Dislikes:
Neil Young.
Doors.
Springstein.
Heart.

Posted By: Maarty Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/15/11
I have teenagers so I dislike anything they listen to (it's a requirement of being a parent)

Seriously though I dislike most modern music.
Whatever came to me...and sounds tasteful in an elevator. Simply the most over-used and cliched chord progression in music history, other that a basic blues riff...country music don't count.

Nice way to dodge my question.

I just stated what I disliked, didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Do I have to like Jazz music in your world? I can appreciate it when it's well done, but I don't have to like it.

You stated that you disliked all black music, which essentially rules out every form of contemporary music.

Brian.
Posted By: Walker Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/16/11
You stated that you disliked all black music, which essentially rules out every form of contemporary music.

Nah, I'm not a moozik major, but I think maybe we could cut him a little slack, there.

If I were to say that I hate all Mauser rifles, would that rule out every modern bolt-action rifle, for me? Kind of the same thing, no?

Anyway, arguing about music can only create dissonance and disharmony 'round the fire. laugh whistle
Posted By: 700LH Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/16/11
Rap isn't music.
Posted By: Walker Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/16/11
Originally Posted by 700LH
Rap isn't music.

Everybody knows that. Black folks know that.

They just do it to piss me off.
Posted By: Dess Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/16/11
Originally Posted by 700LH
Rap isn't music.

Got that right.

Not fond of that mexican polka music at construction sites either.

A good mariachi (spelling) band is fun to watch though.
My taste are about as far apart as you can get

Marty Robins
Roger Miller
Willie Nelson
Gordon Lightfoot
Conway Twitty
George Strait
Sinatra
Sublime
The Offspring
Greenday
Korn
Enimen

and for some strange reason Shakira oh yeah she's f'ing hot and has a killer voice And that's just the tip of the ice berg. I hate most black music unless it's Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, or someone else with actual musical talent
Originally Posted by Walker
Nah, I'm not a moozik major, but I think maybe we could cut him a little slack, there.

If I were to say that I hate all Mauser rifles, would that rule out every modern bolt-action rifle, for me? Kind of the same thing, no?

The implication that a black player sounds worse (or better) than a white player of equal skill and competency is a little wack, to say the least.

Brian.
Posted By: Walker Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/17/11
The implication that a black player sounds worse (or better) than a white player of equal skill and competency is a little wack, to say the least.

The problem is, he never made that implication, Brian, as far as I can tell. Those are your words, not his.

To wit:

He says he hates "black music". He does not say that black players sound worse (or better) than white players "of equal skill and competency".

Notice that he also hates "busy classical". Last time I checked, most classical orchestras were employing mostly pasty white guys and orientals. I think you may have jumped to an unfair conclusion about poor ol' Ghostinthemachine, Brian. Admittedly, I could be wrong. Maybe he hates Austrians and Norwegians, ... but I would be very hesitant to make such a hasty assumption.

Maybe Ghostinthemachine will comment on this, himself, to set the record straight.
I like music. I don't like noise.
He says he hates "black music". He does not say that black players sound worse (or better) than white players "of equal skill and competency".

"Black" music is usually made by black musicians, hence the correlation.

I just think it's a very ignorant thing for someone to say "I hate black music". So that means Tiny Tim is fantastic and BB King sucks? Clay Aiken is good but Otis Redding is awful?

Brian.

"Black" music is usually made by black musicians, hence the correlation.

Brian, just yesterday you informed us that essentially all rock music is "black music".

So, by your own definition, rock music is usually played by black musicians ????

When you find yourself in a hole, it's usually best to stop digging.
Posted By: okie Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/17/11
Lotsa likes and dislikes. A most recent pop like is Adele 21. She has a set of pipes...My most liked genre is country but not exclusively so...
Posted By: Plinker Re: Okay, music likes/dislikes - 10/17/11
Originally Posted by Plinker

Worse than Ibuprofen.
Never understood why a certain lifestyle required you listen to certain music. I like to hunt, I am a taxidermist, shooter etc, and I think newer country it awful. I also don't wear wranglers or a cowboy costume either though. Nothing wrong with rap, there are a lot of talented artists out there, Dr Dre, Tupac, Snoop, Lil' Wayne. Today's rap is more like motown than some guy standing there rhyming on a microphone.
Brian, just yesterday you informed us that essentially all rock music is "black music".

It is.

So, by your own definition, rock music is usually played by black musicians ????

If you want to play semantics with me, you need to define "black music" first. I'm all ears.

When you find yourself in a hole, it's usually best to stop digging.

Whatever you say sweetheart.

Brian.
I like music from just about every genre, except for RAP and anything that has come down the line since.

Jazz, R&B, and classical music are my favorties though.
© 24hourcampfire