Home
...and risking finding God sitting on the pot. Or Cthulhu.

Pretty wild, though.

World's most powerful laser to tear apart the vacuum of space

Due to follow in the footsteps of the Large Hadron Collider, the latest "big science" experiment being proposed by physicists will see the world's most powerful laser being constructed.

Capable of producing a beam of light so intense that it would be equivalent to the power received by the Earth from the sun focused onto a speck smaller than a tip of a pin, scientists claim it could allow them boil the very fabric of space � the vacuum.

Contrary to popular belief, a vacuum is not devoid of material but in fact fizzles with tiny mysterious particles that pop in and out of existence, but at speeds so fast that no one has been able to prove they exist.

The Extreme Light Infrastructure Ultra-High Field Facility would produce a laser so intense that scientists say it would allow them to reveal these particles for the first time by pulling this vacuum "fabric" apart.

They also believe it could even allow them to prove whether extra-dimensions exist.

"This laser will be 200 times more powerful than the most powerful lasers that currently exist," said Professor John Collier, a scientific leader for the ELI project and director of the Central Laser Facility at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Didcot, Oxfordshire.

"At this kind of intensity we start to get into unexplored territory as it is an area of physics that we have never been before."

The ELI Ultra-High Field laser is due to be complete by the end of the decade and will cost an estimated �1 billion. Although the location for the facility will not be decided until next year, the UK is among several European countries in the running to host it.

The European Commission has already this year approved plans to build three other lasers that will form part of the ELI project and will be prototypes for the Ultra-High Field laser.

Due to sited in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania, each laser will coast around �200 million and are scheduled to become operational in 2015.

The Ultra-High Field laser will be made up of 10 beams, each twice as powerful as the prototype lasers, allowing it to produce 200 petawatts of power � more than 100,000 times the power of the world's combined electricity production � for less than a trillionth of a second.

The huge amounts of energy needed to produce a laser beam of this strength is stored up over time before it is fired to produce large laser beams several feet wide that are then combined and focused down onto a tiny spot, much like sunlight through a magnifying glass.

At the focal point, the intensity of the light will produce conditions that are so extreme they do not exist even in the centre of our sun.

It will cause the mysterious particles of matter and antimatter thought to make up a vacuum to be pulled apart, allowing scientists to detect the tiny electrical charges they produce.

These "ghost particles", as they are known, normally annihilate one another as soon as they appear, but by using the laser to pull them apart, physicists believe they will be able to detect them.

It could help to explain the mystery of why the universe contains far more matter than we have been able to detect by revealing what so called dark matter really is.

Professor Wolfgang Sandner, coordinator of the Laserlab Europe network and president of the German Physics Society, said: "We are taught to think of the vacuum as empty space, but it seems even a true vacuum is filled with pairs of molecules that come into our universe for an extremely short time.

"An extremely powerful laser should be able to pull these particles apart and keep them in existence for longer.

"There are many challenges to be over come before we can do that, but it is mainly a matter of scaling up the technology we have so we can produce the powers needed."

The Science and Technology Facilities Council, which provides funds for Britain's involvement in major science facilities including the Large Hadron Collider at CERN in Geneva, has marked out the ELI as a key area it wants to focus on.

Scientists at the Centre for Advanced Laser Technology and Applications at Rutherford Appleton Laboratories in Dicot, Oxfordshire, are already developing technology that will be essential for producing such powerful lasers.

The Centre is thought to be one of the prime candidates for where the Ultra-High Field laser could be located, but it faces competition from sites in Russia, France, Hungary, Romania and the Czech Republic.

As well as offering new insights in to undiscovered realms of physics, scientists say the ELI lasers will also produce new laser based treatments for cancer and medical diagnostics.

Dr Thomas Heinzl, an associate professor of theoretical physics at Plymouth University, said: "ELI is going to take us into an uncharted regime of physics. There could well be some surprises along the way."
Capable of producing a beam of light so intense that it would be equivalent to the power received by the Earth from the sun focused onto a speck smaller than a tip of a pin, scientists claim it could allow them boil the very fabric of space � the vacuum.

Where can I buy tickets? smile
One of these days, we're going to pick a lock, open a door... and REALLY not like what we find on the other side.
That should cut baked potato time down from about 5 minutes to maybe 2 seconds.
they may cause another big bang..
Sounds like something out of a science fiction novel.
I will be very interested to see where this goes.
Regan was a pioneer in this area.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
One of these days, we're going to pick a lock, open a door... and REALLY not like what we find on the other side.

have a good friend that thinks we already have with travel as fast as it is, being able to get to most places on the globe within 24 hours......only piece of the puzzle left is something like the Spanish flu to hit again....

he is convinced some bug combined with modern travel is gona knock us back to the dark ages.....
The question I have is: Why? What's the point? Just to waste more taxpayer dollars?
Got to stay ahead of the Chinese.

Pandora's Box isn't just a Fairy Tale. It is a warning.

Ed
As well as offering new insights in to undiscovered realms of physics, scientists say the ELI lasers will also produce new laser based treatments for cancer, medical diagnostics and interesting new crowd control methods at OWS gatherings

grin
Sounds to me like it would make a hell of a weapon.
Originally Posted by Redneck
The question I have is: Why? What's the point? Just to waste more taxpayer dollars?

Sounds like what folks used to say about the airplane, or space travel, or modern medicine, the computer, etc...

And the end nears....

[Linked Image]
We don't have any more space shuttles to send Harry Stamper and his group of misfit oil drillers and geologists to blow up any killer asteroids threatening to destroy the Earth, so these lasers could come in handy.
Well, of course that's the first thing I would do with such an awesome device. Boil the very fabric of space and see what happens!

NOT! eek

Do the morons think they're making tea??? mad

Even more amazing than the technology is that these dumbazzes consider themselves smart. crazy
What kind of Leupie would you have to put on that thing?
grin Thanks for talking me down. I was fixing to go disrupt high school science classes. smirk
and to think i was gonna hack into the power grid and build one in my basement.....how bout if i dial the power back and promise not to boil the fabric of space?.....im just gonna [bleep] with the fabric of space a lil.....i wanna see what happens when yah shoot it at a gopher.....
Originally Posted by rattler
i wanna see what happens when yah shoot it at a gopher.....

Sort of a super-duper 22-250 cal VMax on steroids, like.
grin
thinking i can hit 6 ft to the right and still get him.....
wondering if the results are as bad as dividing by 0?

[Linked Image]
Probably worse...

Can you imagine the size of the capacitors they will be using to hold that charge? What happens if one of them lets go?

Can you say "The Worlds' Largest Electric Bomb?" I knew you could! laugh

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Probably worse...

Can you imagine the size of the capacitors they will be using to hold that charge? What happens if one of them lets go?

Can you say "The Worlds' Largest Electric Bomb?" I knew you could! laugh

Ed

always wanted to be the first on my block to level a block......or three.....
Good point. Just to be safe use a big pile of 10pF caps.

Nearly happened in the States about twenty years ago when there was an outbreak of what was thought to be Ebola in [bleep] at a lab outside Washington..

Turned out not to be Ebola but a very similar virus that infected [bleep] but not humans..The US came very close to a major catastrophe as the authorities didn't think they would be able to control the outbreak once it got into the human population..
Originally Posted by Steve

One of my BIL's used to work "pulsed power" projects for General Dynamics (military lasers) and currently (pun intended) holds the record for building the worlds' largest electric bomb. The capacitor they were testing, roughly twice the physical size of a 55 gal drum (he declined to give the capacity laugh ), malfunctioned and destroyed the test chamber which was constructed of 6" thick reinforced concrete slabs, collapsing the roof, and blowing the walls out.

They successfully created the capacitors needed for the project and he has since moved on to other pulsed power projects for other companies.

Ed
Originally Posted by Pete E

Nearly happened in the States about twenty years ago when there was an outbreak of what was thought to be Ebola in [bleep] at a lab outside Washington..

Turned out not to be Ebola but a very similar virus that infected [bleep] but not humans..The US came very close to a major catastrophe as the authorities didn't think they would be able to control the outbreak once it got into the human population..

that is an interesting story, scary chit....

ebola's a SOB but its not a nation wide killer.....time lag from initial infection to dead is to damn quick.....give a bug like ebola the flus life cycle and......well....we would prolly be begging for bothe the Spanish flu and Black Death to hit us at the same time instead....a zombie apocalypse would sound down right fun in comparison.....
Originally Posted by rattler

that is an interesting story, scary chit....

ebola's a SOB but its not a nation wide killer.....time lag from initial infection to dead is to damn quick.....give a bug like ebola the flus life cycle and......well....we would prolly be begging for bothe the Spanish flu and Black Death to hit us at the same time instead....a zombie apocalypse would sound down right fun in comparison.....

Google "The Hot Zone" which is a book about the incident and IIRC the virus in question was about as contagious as flu, but luckily could not infect humans..

In another incident, a few years back a lab in the UK was shut down and a researcher got into a lot of trouble when it was discovered he was trying "cross" a form of cancer and a virus which causes the common cold..I don't recall the exact details, but I think it was a GM type experiment, but the problem was that it was being carried out in a lab with a very low bio security level. Quite why he was doing it or what he hope to achieve, I don't recall...
have read it.....with ebola is pretty contagious in some ways more so than the flu but its life cycle is so short and its lethality rate so high.....an entire ebola epidemic is measured in weeks.....from a similar starting population a bad flu bug will bounce around the globe for two years or more because its incubation period is much longer.....

in the scheme of things cause ebola is such a quick killer its actually fairly easy to contain....

got a good buddy thats a microbiologist and studies chit he cant talk to me about, ask him what he worries about and he wont tell yah some exotic disease like ebola even factoring an accident like happened at that [bleep] research facility....its something like the Spanish Flu.....its got the right life cycle to slingshot around for a long time ensuring that damn near everyone gets exposed.....

ebola has a higher lethality rate, usually well over 70% infected die.....but a 70% lethality isnt much when yah measure the amount of ppl exposed in the hundreds or thousands.....a 3%(low end figure on the spanish flu) mortality rate dont sound like much till you figure the flu lives long enough to get exposed to billions....
I sometimes wonder about this kind of stuff. With the universe being so vast there has to be other intelligent life. I wonder if it is typical for technology to advance at a rate that the typical race wipes itself out most of the time by messing with chit they don't comprehend.
Hopefully they will not push the earth off of its orbit. The recoil from a laser that size should be astonomical.
Originally Posted by crosshair
I sometimes wonder about this kind of stuff. With the universe being so vast there has to be other intelligent life. I wonder if it is typical for technology to advance at a rate that the typical race wipes itself out most of the time by messing with chit they don't comprehend.

Th Darwin effect on a galactic scale?
Quote-
Dr Thomas Heinzl, an associate professor of theoretical physics at Plymouth University, said: "ELI is going to take us into an uncharted regime of physics. There could well be some surprises along the way."
-End Quote

Did you ever wonder why so many galaxies contain large black holes? Might be nature's Darwin Award for those who poke around with the fabric of space time.
Sounds like a severe case of over penetration.
Originally Posted by DayPacker
Hopefully they will not push the earth off of its orbit. The recoil from a laser that size should be astonomical.

omg! if the shot is made from the wrong direction, the earthen might stop it's traditional spin? and if it stops spinning, it might fall over on it's side and go wobbling through the heavens, before stopping at the edge of a great abyss??
You know, when they detonated the first atom bomb they had no way of knowing that the reaction would stop. Speculation was that it could have gone on until the earth was consumed.

When they detonated the hydrogen bomb one of the scientists said that for a few moments he thought they lit the atmosphere on fire.

Who know when they could be right. They only have to be right one time.
n another incident, a few years back a lab in the UK was shut down and a researcher got into a lot of trouble when it was discovered he was trying "cross" a form of cancer and a virus which causes the common cold..I don't recall the exact details, but I think it was a GM type experiment, but the problem was that it was being carried out in a lab with a very low bio security level. Quite why he was doing it or what he hope to achieve, I don't recall...

It should come as no surprise.... Obviously it's to increase food production.

It's for the children.

Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by DayPacker

omg! if the shot is made from the wrong direction, the earthen might stop it's traditional spin? and if it stops spinning, it might fall over on it's side and go wobbling through the heavens, before stopping at the edge of a great abyss
Now that's funny.
Ironically funny... but...

Are you trying to be clever? smile

My thoughts, as well.
Hard to find a hard enough backdrop for that thing.
I mean, people get exited when you shoot a .22 into the air on New Years Eve, and rightfully so.
There were a lot of surprised people that found out the earth wasn't flat.
Originally Posted by watch4bear
There were a lot of surprised people that found out the earth wasn't flat.
Especially those from Iowa.
Just gotta wonder if when they shoot tha dang thing off, if'n they is gonna hit somebody's planet that is a gonna SHOOT BACK ! Gotta go practice my duck and cover drills. Also would suggest these scientists strap their asses on to the porcelein waste conveyance so when the inevitable "HOLY [bleep]" happens, they are prepared to deal with it without leaving a trail of waste behind them to mark their passage into the unknown. Can you imagine how embarassing it would be to have our first ambassadors to another dimension arrive covered in their own feces?

Flower Child
I thought aliens were going to invade us because we are violent and increasing our technology. wouldn't this be the lynch pin in the whole deal?

I can see a committee of aliens sitting around a large desk made of some silvery material all debating our future, then someone flys in with the story on our giant lazer, and they say, ok enough is enough lets vaporize earth. boom, we're all dead. ask the democraps, it will happen, we must plan for it.
Imagine the global warming from a laser this size? Wait until Al Gore hears about this.
Originally Posted by Karnis

Leupie ... ? No, no.

Strap the Hubble to that bad boy. grin
Originally Posted by fish head

Leupie ... ? No, no.

+1 laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Ed
Originally Posted by fish head

Leupie ... ? No, no.

Thought about that but I think the lenses were put in backwards. I'd hate to think what the muzzle flash would be on that one. eek
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Steve

One of my BIL's used to work "pulsed power" projects for General Dynamics (military lasers) and currently (pun intended) holds the record for building the worlds' largest electric bomb. The capacitor they were testing, roughly twice the physical size of a 55 gal drum (he declined to give the capacity laugh ), malfunctioned and destroyed the test chamber which was constructed of 6" thick reinforced concrete slabs, collapsing the roof, and blowing the walls out.

They successfully created the capacitors needed for the project and he has since moved on to other pulsed power projects for other companies.

Ed

Sounds like a project a guy I know worked on:

Stop a 500hp electric motor from full rpm to full stop in 1/2 of a revolution with a combination of electrical, and mechanical brakes....

Didn't work, but the end results were VERY loud and impressive !!
© 24hourcampfire