Home
Posted By: Karnis American Pickers - 12/31/11
Sitting here on the 'fire and the wife is watching the show. She just burst out laughing and said she couldn't believe what one of the guys said. I asked what it was:

"It's so hot up here, even the squirrels are handling their nuts with potholders."

Apparently they were scrounging around in some barn and the heat affected the thought process.

Yikes!
Posted By: eh76 Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Them boys need psychological help!
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I like them a great deal better than most of the other 'reality' show people--I don't follow any but have seen episodes here and there--. On one AP segment they showed them buying something they weren't sure was very valuable, but ended up being just that. It was like they spent $300 and found it was worth $10K or something on that order. What'd they do? Went back and split the profit with the senior they'd bought it from. Quite refreshing, if real, especially compared to say, the Pawn Stars vermin. I know business is business, but that one dude'd cheat his own mother out of a square deal, looks like.
Posted By: byc Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I like the show.
Posted By: Karnis Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Pretty good show seeing all that old stuff.
Posted By: tzone Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I like the show. I don't have cable or the dish, but will watch it when I get a change to. It's not too drama filled like a lot of the new show.

The guys seem to be fair guys too.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
my sons and I watch it whenever we can. my you gets boy wants to be a picker when he grows up.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I enjoy the pickers. Guess cause I have an interesting friend that does just that. After college he worked for the TX highway dept. as an anthropologist researching and digging up historical sites before construction took place. Now days he does just what those guys are doing running all over with a U-hall type truck and sometimes with a trailer.
Another interesting show is the guys that research past meteor showers and dig em up from some farmers field and sell for some really big bucks.
Posted By: Partagas Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Leighton? I didn't know that about those guys (splitting the profits with the previous older owner). That makes me like them even more. They don't seem like they are out to rip anyone off just make a profit on things. My 8 and 9 year old boys like watching the show with me.

Tzone, check out HULU or if you have netflix or amazon prime I bet you can catch slightly older episodes of the show on the internet. A buddy at work watches Top shot that way.
Posted By: saddlering Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I watch them, Yes they have gave back, a few times and have donated some things also! Not bad, for whats on TV today!
Posted By: gophergunner Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
The ones that kill me are the Storage War shows. I saw one episode where the bald headed tattooed guy named Ton found an old run of the mill Browning A-5 and immediately proclaimed it to be worth 3,000 dollars. Seems a tad high to me.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
You think they need help, wait until you see the new show that's coming out. Was over at a friends house last night and saw a teaser for a new reality show called.....wait for it......."Pit Bulls and Parolees"! I chit you not!

Some old greenie gal is spouting some crap about how pitbulls and parolees are just misunderstood and need a second chance yada, yada, yada....

So help me I wanted to shoot her TV....
Posted By: ColdBore Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by saddlering
Yes they have gave back, a few times and have donated some things also!

You guys do know that every move, every line, and every action is scripted on all of these so-called "reality" shows, right?

You see stuff like giving back, it makes you feel good (about the show), and you continue to watch.
Posted By: ingwe Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
And if you knew what they were getting paid for each episode,you'd know they can afford to "give back"....
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
another non reality reality show, fit only for morons. laugh
Posted By: ColdBore Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
And if you knew what they were getting paid for each episode,you'd know they can afford to "give back"....

Exactly.
Posted By: Bricktop Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
I like them a great deal better than most of the other 'reality' show people--I don't follow any but have seen episodes here and there--. On one AP segment they showed them buying something they weren't sure was very valuable, but ended up being just that. It was like they spent $300 and found it was worth $10K or something on that order. What'd they do? Went back and split the profit with the senior they'd bought it from. Quite refreshing, if real, especially compared to say, the Pawn Stars vermin. I know business is business, but that one dude'd cheat his own mother out of a square deal, looks like.
You can't buy into the bullshit story these "reality" shows spin. It's about 99.99% Hollywood hype. I talked to a mechanic a while back at one of the power plants I monitor. He's a big Winchester collector and was laughing about this other Winchester collector/dealer he knows in southern California. This southern California person derives a large portion of his current business by supplying the producers of some of these "reality" shows like "Storage Wars" and whatever in the hell that damned auction hunter show on Discovery/TLC is called. (And likely other shows as well.) These producers come up with a story arc and contact various suppliers with their wants. The suppliers in turn sell or lease them various old guns, memorabilia, furniture, tools, etc. The producers then have this stuff staged in a barn, storage unit, house or whatever and film their episodes right along with the mock surprise and shock. They complete filming and then return the items or sell them back minus any damage or wear that occurred during production.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Reality? Not. Every one of the shows is scripted. It's TV.
Posted By: johnw Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
i got no doubt that in order to maintain the "show", that the TV pickers resort to some hollywood tricks...
and i don't know these guys, but they are located a half hour drive away... one BIL drove over there to meet them and feels like they are the real deal...

"picking" in the rural midwest is a common and competitive game... most of the guys on my wife's side of the family are involved, some more than others...
they are typical 50s and 60s kids who remember the cool stuff that used to be around, and more or less have a clue where some of it wound up... they mostly came from farm families with sheds,attics and porches full of old "junk"... picking started off as a friendly grown up "show and tell"... then guys started showing their stuff in booths at tractor and toy shows...

the oldest BIL and his wife were both farm kids, and are typical pickers... her dad, at 91, still works as a cabinet and furniture maker, and gets into a lot of different homes, barns and sheds in his daily routine... he tips them off to a lot of neat stuff...

at times i could almost get excited about picking myself, but i have other pursuits...

as to them giving back a part of greater than expected profits, i can believe it... 2 1/2 years ago, after some serious surgery i was off work for nearly a year... i had to sell some silver coins to make ends meet, and i went to a private party with most of it...
now, i am not a coin collector, and neither is the guy i sold to, but he's been buying and selling since the 70s... he's picked up a little knowledge along the way...
i sold 2 small lots of coins to him a month or so apart, and on the second sale, he looked over the coins and remarked that some might have collector value... he thought that maybe i'd reconsider and keep them, but i was determined to sell... he wasn't sure of what they were worth, but he paid me market price for their silver value, and we parted...
3 weeks or so later, he called me and asked me to drop by... i stopped at his place a couple of days later, and he laid another $200 in my hand... he had sold them to a collector, and knowing i was off work and feeling pressure for money, he did a remarkably graceful thing in sharing his fortune with me...
there is still good in this world....
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I watch it off and on, but think it Jumped the Shark when they were hired by Shatner to furnish his place in Tenn (?) or the Pawn Star guys to find a 57 Chevy.
Posted By: Teal Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I don't care much about the sales and the value or even scripted or not - I just like seeing the neat stuff. Old Excelsior motorcycles, Ford memorabilia etc.
Posted By: croldfort Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
They came to my town and hit three guy's places within a two mile area. All are genuine, I know all of them. One is a building demolition man that been rat holeing stuff forever in his farm outbuildings, (the leg). This is the sequence, as I understand it.

Someone calls in the "discovery".
Someone comes to check on it.
Pickers arrive with film crew and look.
Deals are made.

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
My wife and I like to watch the show. It is better than most reality shows and the guys do seem pretty genuine for the most part.

As for the new show coming out that I seen advertized the other day eek

Its called American Stuffers. People bring their DEAD pets to this place to get them freezed dried in various poses. Then they fluff and manicure them so the "customer" can display them in there home.

W.T.F.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
My wife keeps hollering at the TV for Mike and Frank to stop by our house.

She wants to show them our garage�I have no idea why�
Posted By: 5sdad Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by Rooster7
My wife and I like to watch the show. It is better than most reality shows and the guys do seem pretty genuine for the most part.

As for the new show coming out that I seen advertized the other day eek

Its called American Stuffers. People bring their DEAD pets to this place to get them freezed dried in various poses. Then they fluff and manicure them so the "customer" can display them in there home.

W.T.F.

Older lady had two pet rabbits of which she was very fond. The two rabbits expired withing a few minutes of each other. She took them to a taxidermist to have them preserved. Not knowing if she wanted them stuffed or just wanted the hides preserved, he inquired, "Do you want them mounted." To which she replied, "No, side-by-side will be fine."
Posted By: rattler Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by teal
I don't care much about the sales and the value or even scripted or not - I just like seeing the neat stuff. Old Excelsior motorcycles, Ford memorabilia etc.

thats why i watch it and pawn stars.....could care less whether its scripted or not or any of the drama chit.....i just like seeing the neat stuff that turns up on the shows....
Posted By: Wtxj Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by Karnis
Sitting here on the 'fire and the wife is watching the show. She just burst out laughing and said she couldn't believe what one of the guys said. I asked what it was:

"It's so hot up here, even the squirrels are handling their nuts with potholders."

Apparently they were scrounging around in some barn and the heat affected the thought process.

Yikes!

LOL

Now when are we going to find the storage units in this area?
Posted By: rugerrunner Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I saw that episode TFF for sure
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Their best episode to date is "Hobo Jack". Coming up with the very rare Glenn Curtis V-twin engine was amazing.
Posted By: MColeman Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11

Like this?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
or this
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Mickey -exactly. I see stuff like that in person from time to time but it's WI and winter right now - don't get to see it much this week.
Posted By: SAcharlie Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
another non reality reality show, fit only for morons. laugh

You have such a delightful persona.
Posted By: MColeman Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
Mickey -exactly. I see stuff like that in person from time to time but it's WI and winter right now - don't get to see it much this week.

These were part of a cross country trip that started at Kitty Hawk, NC and went to CA. One guy found an old Indian in a basement not two weeks before the trip. There were a lot of old m'cycles and none newer than 1920. There was a four cylinder Henderson in perfect condition. I had never heard of Henderson motorcycles.
Posted By: AKHntr Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
I have never understood the people buying and saving antiques. I put them along the river bank to keep the river in place. All the trash goes in the river bank. Old junk needs to be used to our benefit and not collected and stored.
Posted By: dave09 Re: American Pickers - 12/31/11
SIL went to the "Pawn Stars" shop, talked with Ric and asked if "Those Boys are really that dumb" Ric said to him,"The show is totally scripted"

I stopped by when I was in Vegas met Ric, very nice guy!
© 24hourcampfire