Home
Posted By: kamo_gari Netsuke - 03/22/12
Got lucky and read a blurb in an online newsletter about an upcoming estate auction featuring an extensive collection of Asian antiquities, art and really, a shytload of cool stuff.

Apparently, the lot was being sold by the estate of a former CIA/state department type, who hailed from the North Shore, but spent several decades in his professional life in several Asian nations, and had become a fairly serious collector over the time he was there, and beyond, once retired. There were amazing pieces of furniture and museum quality stuff. Looked to me as if Mr. CIA was able to duck around some of those pesky international laws about booty from raided tombs and whatnot... wink

I was pretty shocked when I found that among the items to be sold were a large group of 'netsuke', which are Japanese carvings/figurines. They were used as both fashion/status symbols, as well as serving a practical purpose in that they were used to serve as a knot for thin belts used in their garb of the era. They were made of many different materials, including wood, antler, bone, stone and teeth. Teeth of elephants were probably the most common material used with the best, and most expensive netsuke. Some are made of mammoth ivory, and for many years sea turtle shells were utilized. Many of the high quality ones are signed, BTW.

I spent more money than I'd hoped, but Mrs. KG was thrilled. We'd only managed to find a handful in the last ten years, one at a time, in a swap meet/flea market here, a little thrift shop there, you know. I added 30 to the collection in a day. The auction itself was funny, but that's a story for another day, maybe... wink

Post-war Japan saw many of its little treasures like these leave. On the block also were two genuine, real deal katana, with one dating to 1348, and the other to 1510, I believe. Hey, to the victor go the spoils; that's the rule. smile The point I guess is that original, high quality pieces like this are somewhat rare here. Those I have seen can get very pricey (and more so in the country of their origin, interestingly).

To stumble across a collection of so many authentic ones, at a price that stung a bit but didn't hurt? Hell man, their loss is my gain on this one. I realized early on that I was going to be able to get some deals, as there were descriptions that were wrong, no recognition of some cultural significance (there are several that are old Japanese fairytale/ghosts/goblins/mythical beings. One described the piece as 'laughing man with box and baskets'. The baskets, if you look closely, are filled with fish, and the 'box' the man is holding is actually an abacus, accurate with detail down to the last bead. Stunning workmanship displayed in many of them. Most are Meiji era (1868-1912), but some are older, and a few are newer.

In any event, I'm very happy with them. If anyone has any of these they would consider selling, PM me please. I guess I'm something of a wannabe netsuke 'collector' now... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1982.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1990.jpg[/img]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
As always, very interesting. You get into some truly amazing stuff. Happy for you.
Posted By: ironeagle_84 Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
neat stuff there.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
What does the writing on the crab say..?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Interesting heritage. Yours it founded in fine art and culture. Mine is to drink whiskey stored in barrels burned with swamp sludge, paint my naked body blue and charge enemy lines screaming at the top of my lungs.

Guess which of us is more civilized. grin

Thanks for posting such beautiful art.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Nice! you my friend bring, a little something diffrent, to the fire! please keep it up!
Posted By: rattler Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
reading a book on mans long fascination with ivory......netsuke were mentioned......i guess ivory netsuke were one of the few ways lower class businessmen were allowed to show off as they werent really allowed much in the way of valuables to flaunt which is what kinda spearheaded the wonderful lil art form....
Posted By: 1096here Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
A little culture now and then does wonders for the Fire. Thanks for the interesting post. Now, can we have a translation, please.
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Very cool!
I had a few netsuke at one point a few years ago. Maybe 6 or 8 diffent ones.
I gave them to friend who appreciated them more than me.
There was a really cool litttle turtle that I had with characters on the plates of his shell.
I would love to see more photos Leighton.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Thanks for the words, gents.

Scott, I am ethnically 50% Japanese. The other 50% is Scottish. I come from two island people. Both like to drink, fight and fish. wink

My mother is a naturalized citizen, having first come to the U.S. in the early 60s. She sports a thick, Keelie/East Ender accent to this day that many find difficult to understand.

As a MacArthur blood relative (aunt has traced our highland roots back for 8 or 9 hundred years), you and I hail from the same lines. So, thanks for the reference, but I understand well the people you descend from. Better than most, maybe. wink
Posted By: Steve Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Those are pretty cool Leighton.
Posted By: okok Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
That crab is a jewel.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Originally Posted by okok
That crab is a jewel.

Thinking the same...alot of those pieces are phenomenal...my dad picked up a few pieces of netsuke in the early '70s

that stuff looks exceptional..but the crab is my fave!
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Thanks for the words, gents.

Scott, I am ethnically 50% Japanese. The other 50% is Scottish. I come from two island people. Both like to drink, fight and fish. wink

My mother is a naturalized citizen, having first come to the U.S. in the early 60s. She sports a thick, Keelie/East Ender accent to this day that many find difficult to understand.

As a MacArthur blood relative (aunt has traced our highland roots back for 8 or 9 hundred years), you and I hail from the same lines. So, thanks for the reference, but I understand well the people you descend from. Better than most, maybe. wink

I remembered that you were half Scot when I wrote it. But you my friend seemed to pull the more civilized from both sides.
Originally Posted by Scott F

I remembered that you were half Scot when I wrote it. But you my friend seemed to pull the more civilized from both sides.

Thank you, sir. It's taken years for me to cultivate that utter fabrication into something that will occasionally actually fool people. 'Civilized' and I have met on only the briefest and most rare of occasions, to be honest. He called me a boor and I broke a beer bottle over his head at our last meeting, I believe...

whistle grin wink

Oh me lad, the motherland does flow in ye vanes! grin
Posted By: stray round Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

You mean painting your naked body blue isn't a high art form? They also made quite a bit of art when they weren't doing an excellent job of killing their neighbors.

Any ever read, "How the Scots Invented the Modern World and Everything in It"?

Here's proof. Behold my clan crest and tartan, and that which seals the deal beyond any shred of doubt: after having gotten at the whisky unsupervised. *Under* the table, fighting a buddy's duck dog for the last piece of cake--half eaten no less--that the bold swine had just nicked off the table and ran under the table with to eat on the sly.

"No so bloddy fast there, mate! Yers didnae PAY for ony o that cake did ye? Rrrrrright, gies it here ye bastard!"

Case closed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

deleted
Posted By: T LEE Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Absolutely beautiful stuff KG
Posted By: eh76 Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Beautiful art KG!
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Well please excuse my ignorance but do netsuke serve a purpose or are they just pretties?
Posted By: Gadfly Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Here's proof. Behold my clan crest and tartan, and that which seals the deal beyond any shred of doubt: after having gotten at the whisky unsupervised. *Under* the table, fighting a buddy's duck dog for the last piece of cake--half eaten no less--that the bold swine had just nicked off the table and ran under the table with to eat on the sly.

"No so bloddy fast there, mate! Yers didnae PAY for ony o that cake did ye? Rrrrrright, gies it here ye bastard!"

Case closed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

deleted

I am part Scotts-Irish , but I never really identified as such, or got much into the relationships of the clans (although the sound of bagpipes effects me greatly....must be genetic!). I am curious as to the significance of the cinched belt in your clan crest.
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Well please excuse my ignorance but do netsuke serve a purpose or are they just pretties?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netsuke
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Leighton,

Beautiful treasures you have there!

Thank you for sharing them and their history.
Not that I needed to know your history of wearing skirts... grin

Ed
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Dude, that crab netsuke is very cool. The rate you're going that display case will be filled by summer! If'n you need some more bone for that case, let me know what your looking for and maybe I can help.
Just another boy with some of his new toys, I guess. Big thanks for the offer, Hunter. For years I've fantasized about trying to learn how to make them, using antler, wood and bone, but haven't made any effort, though I have plenty of moose, deer and caribou antler that I hoped to some day use to carve on. Never gotten around to it, though. Probably a good thing. I think realize deep down in my inner self that I was born totally devoid of any artistic skill, and trying to carve somethnig beautiful would surely end in disaster. wink But then, all is not lost, maybe. If I can't make anything beautiful, at least I can recognize and admire some of the beautiful things others bring to life.

Thanks for the kind words and comments. I appreciate them.
P.S. I'd be happy to share some more pics of the little guys. I got out my macro lens for the crab, but I think some shots showing the whimsy and detail of the others will be appreciated as well.
its neat to see the stuff, its the sorta stuff that winds up on my shelves aswell though my collection of stuff isnt as extensive as yours....this is one of my favorite pieces:

[Linked Image]

also have an ivory polar bear carving(think its walrus ivory) that i bought at an estate sale nearly 20 years ago.....will have to get a pic of it...
Very cool, Rattler. Love to see more from you--or any other members. I know there's at least one fellow here with incredible skill, who's shared carved/painted fish (I seem to recall a jaw-dropping brookie). Things like that of such delicate beauty and incredible detail are just amazing to behold to me.
Rattler, Is that soap stone?
i believe so, its fairly soft for a rock....
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
What does the writing on the crab say..?

Signature.
What does BTW stand for?
'By the way'.

First day on the web, bud? wink
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
L, I hate to even ask, but what kind of coin does a no joke 1300-1500 era Katana run these days? I can't imagine a cooler thing to own.
laugh Many of the high quality ones are signed, BTW

Missed the coma. smile
I know to get a present day made Jananese Katana you are talking $1500-3000, a true relic from the 13th century would be awesome!
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I know to get a present day made Jananese Katana you are talking $1500-3000, a true relic from the 13th century would be awesome!

I agree. I own 4; two long swords and two short. Both very well made, but are reproductions from the 30s or so.

The ones they had at the auction went for silly cheap money, relatively speaking. I *almost* pulled the trigger on one. Of course, had I brought one home, it'd have been brought back to life that night, on *me*. wink
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
I would be satisfied to just hold one from that era and take a LOOONNGGG look at it!

The craftsmanship that went onto those old blades is nothing short of incredible.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I would be satisfied to just hold one from that era and take a LOOONNGGG look at it!

The craftsmanship that went onto those old blades is nothing short of incredible.

Ed

Agreed. Mind-boggling, the quality and levels of workmanship achieved in the form of swords from that time period. Not to mention the badassed factor. wink

Here's a suit of 'armor' and the tools of the trade used by a 15th century samurai being displayed at a very traditional onsen we stayed at a couple years ago with Mrs. KG and her grandma.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow, that is awesome. Love the literal English translation, sword a long one. Lol.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Netsuke - 03/22/12
Neat!

Any closeups of the fish monger with the abacus?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Neat!

Any closeups of the fish monger with the abacus?

If I get up early enough before work tomorrow, I'll gladly take some shots of some of the others and post up. I'm very fond of the fish guy as well. wink
Posted By: rattler Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12

Ed

Agreed. Mind-boggling, the quality and levels of workmanship achieved in the form of swords from that time period. Not to mention the badassed factor. wink

for the time period? hell it is outstanding metal craft for any time period.....cant reproduce it now other than to do it the old way, sure you can use auto hammers instead of apprentices manually hammering but other than that you still need a master craftsman to make them today to the same level of quality...
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12
It is odd. The kinda crappy Japanese steel is what lead to the developement of the 'folding' method of forging those swords. With modern steel the folding to remove impurities really isn't needed. The sword spine needed to be soft and flexible to absorb shock, the edge was to be stiff and razor sharp. This is called differential hardening and I don't think anyone really knows who first figured out the clay on the spine of the sword to differ the tempering trick...

Though L and hopefully other's would like this video. This guy's reaction time and pure skill is super human:

Crappy shots (horrible light in my pad after sun sets), so quit after taking only a few, but here are a the ones I took that a couple folks asked for. When I have time, I'll get some proper ones taken and loaded up.

Thanks again for all the input.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1998.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1996.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Netsuke%20and%20Portugal%20food/IMG_1995.jpg[/img]
Wow, that is awesome. Love the literal English translation, sword a long one. Lol.

That's what she said... blush whistle

Fought it for hours, but in the end simply could not resist. Apologies for my moment of weakness...

grin

Thank you for sharing them and their history.
Not that I needed to know your history of wearing skirts... grin

Ed

The 'skirts', eh? OK, I can see I am dealing with another hater. Wait a sec. Are you...you're not...an Englishman, are you? Well, if so, here's one use of the 'skirt' for ye, mate.

[Linked Image]

blush whistle wink
Another instance where I am not bothered a whit by rocking a...well, a kind of traditional garb that modern men might see as a, well... OK, a man dress, I guess. Though it admittedly pained me some to write that, I like to keep an open mind, brother. After all, sometimes it ain't all about what your buddies think.

wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Chako%20and%20Tad/japanseries1077.jpg[/img]
What does BTW stand for?

I erred in my last response. A thousand pardons. I didn't do my proper research. I read about it, and the 'BTW' often appears on the finest netsuke. They're the initials of a man who washed ashore on a Japanese island in 1701, the sole survivor of a spice trader shipwreck. The man's name was Buford T. Wustice.

Alrighty then, I believe it's time to call it a night...

wink Just funnin' ya bud. wink

Originally Posted by rattler

for the time period? hell it is outstanding metal craft for any time period.....cant reproduce it now other than to do it the old way, sure you can use auto hammers instead of apprentices manually hammering but other than that you still need a master craftsman to make them today to the same level of quality...

I stand corrected on my poor choice of words, and I agree.

Way back when, finished 'katana' (the so-called long swords), prior to being presented to a wealthy client--be it a lord or samurai--who'd commissioned them, the swords were tested. The best and most practical medium available? Cadavers.

A properly made katana, battle ready, in the hands of a skilled swordsman, would consistently cut bodies hung from trees in half with a single, powerful stroke.

'Looks nice, but lemme' test this here blade out, Charlie. You didn't exactly take it easy on the price, y'know...'

'Aw quit yer bitchin'. If you can't whack those three bodies in two with a slice apiece, I'll eat my hat'

Good times.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12
In one of my first philosophy classes at UA when the section on moral relativism was taught, the example of testing a shinken was given.

Except in our example the book read that it was acceptable for samurai to 'test the sword' on the peasant class. A shinken (real/true sword) would cut through a peasant from clavical to just above the opposite hip bone. If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.
If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

Someone please bust out with some variety of a Kobe beef joke soon. It'll be a crime if someone doesn't swat this outside hanger right over the fence...
Posted By: djs Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12
The DC area has many former government employees who've served extensively overseas and picked up a lot of "stuff". I've bought several interesting firearms from some of these folks.
Posted By: stray round Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12
Kamo, great pictures!

I'm just amazed at so much art condensed is such a small piece.
Any idea what tools were used for such intricate carving?
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Netsuke - 03/23/12
If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

Someone please bust out with some variety of a Kobe beef joke soon. It'll be a crime if someone doesn't swat this outside hanger right over the fence...

If it was a West Texas cow like those curdog4570 showed in his thread, the Katana wouldn't make it through the hide, much less all the way through the body!
Only way the Katana could cut through a cow is if it WAS Kobe beef...tender, tasty, gooooood! grin

(How'd I do, Leighton?)

Ed
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12

If it was a West Texas cow like those curdog4570 showed in his thread, the Katana wouldn't make it through the hide, much less all the way through the body!
Only way the Katana could cut through a cow is if it WAS Kobe beef...tender, tasty, gooooood! grin

(How'd I do, Leighton?)

Ed

6.9 Not too bad for a first swing. wink smile
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12
OK, how about;

The Japanese HAD to come up with Kobe beef because they sure couldn't make a knife sharp enough to cut beef from anywhere else!

BTW, WHO but the most inscrutable Japanese would think of applying "couch potato" methods to cattle to make them fatter and more tender? laugh

AND develop metallurgy that has taken centuries of study to even come close to duplicating?

Not to mention sashimi, sushi, and miso! grin

Ed
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12
A shinken (real/true sword) would cut through a peasant from clavical to just above the opposite hip bone. If the samurai was feeling more generous, cutting through livestock from top of backbone through bottom of stomach was also an acceptable test.

Clavicle Schmavicle....everybody knows the real test of a shinken is that neat Onion/Volcano trick they do at BeniHana's..?
Hey Ed, you need to ask DW444 for some lessons. Only took him one line to knock you out of contention. wink smile

Well played, DW. 9.6! wink

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v16036274NPTQq7zE

Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12
Thanks KG...Never been to BH's, just watched it on Youtube...

BH's is one of those "rich folk" restaurants,..maybe one of these days I'll get a nickel raise at work and be able to take my girl out for something special.!

wink wink wink.. grin

BH's is one of those "rich folk" restaurants,..maybe one of these days I'll get a nickel raise at work and be able to take my girl out for something special.!

wink wink wink.. grin

A little known, unwritten law is that any person of Japanese ancestry who willingly dines at a BH must hang their heads in shame for 2 years. Clapping at any eggshell flips into the chef cap adds 3 years (aggravated clowning).
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12
KG thanks for pointing me to the information about what a Netsuke is.
After reading it I gather that is is a doo hickey to keep a little bag or box hitched to the belt of a kimono. Seems like to me that the ancient Japanese folks would have done better to just invent pockets and be done with it.
Then they would have had time to figure out the intricatecies of a fork. grin
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12
Neat finds, KG. I wouldn't mind getting a katana sometime, just to admire the workmanship. Not sure what else I could use it for - not even hunting pigs grin

I always suspected the lessons learned from making great blades jump started Japan's steel industry, in the industrial age. The 6.5mm Arisaka rifles from the '30's were superbly strong rifles.

Posted By: DuxHateMe Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12
Originally Posted by Scott F

You've not seen him after a half-dozen double JDs washed down with Budweiser. At that point, other words besides civilized come to mind more readily. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Netsuke - 03/24/12

wink wink wink.. grin

A little known, unwritten law is that any person of Japanese ancestry who willingly dines at a BH must hang their heads in shame for 2 years. Clapping at any eggshell flips into the chef cap adds 3 years (aggravated clowning).

OK, I'll retire my stand-up comedian hat and listen to DW444 for a while.

BTW, there is a Japanese Steakhouse in Nashua, NH that tops ANYTHING that BeniHana's can put forth, including the table-side entertainment!

The Onion Volcano is pretty cool. The first time you see it. laugh

Leighton, if you get to Anchorage, go to Kumagoro restaurant downtown on 4th Avenue. Not bad for a hole-in-the-wall place. Most JAL air crews make that their home when in town.

Ed
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe

You've not seen him after a half-dozen double JDs washed down with Budweiser. At that point, other words besides civilized come to mind more readily. [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Now he's done it. You want to see who's making these unfounded rumors up? Behold the Merganser King. eek grin

Plus, that whole JD night thing got blown all out of proportion. DuxHateMe had me laughing at the same time I was trying to knock back a triple Jack at the casino, and I ended up inhaling half of it into my lungs. Next thing you know, I hit Apache Gold... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/Javelina%20AZ%202010/AZ2010javelinahunt046.jpg[/img]
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
KG thanks for pointing me to the information about what a Netsuke is.
After reading it I gather that is is a doo hickey to keep a little bag or box hitched to the belt of a kimono. Seems like to me that the ancient Japanese folks would have done better to just invent pockets and be done with it.
Then they would have had time to figure out the intricatecies of a fork. grin

8.8. Not bad for a come out roll. smile

BTW, there is a Japanese Steakhouse in Nashua, NH that tops ANYTHING that BeniHana's can put forth, including the table-side entertainment!

Leighton, if you get to Anchorage, go to Kumagoro restaurant downtown on 4th Avenue. Not bad for a hole-in-the-wall place. Most JAL air crews make that their home when in town.

Ed

I'm pretty close to Nashua. Might have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, bud. As far as the other spot, I'm thinking you'll have to show me some time in person, but the fact that the JAL folks get in there is most encouraging. wink
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12

Ed

I'm pretty close to Nashua. Might have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, bud. As far as the other spot, I'm thinking you'll have to show me some time in person, but the fact that the JAL folks get in there is most encouraging. wink

It's a date! Of course, there's another place, Yamato Ya, that I like, too, but I understand that they have moved and some of the reviews aren't as good as the earlier incarnation. I guess we'll just have to go sushi hopping!grin

Ed
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
I luv sushi on the South end of town is pretty good.

I'll have to try Kumagoro one of these days.

The last couple nights I rolled up sushi at home, wife and kids devoured it so I guess it was ok.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
laugh Many of the high quality ones are signed, BTW

Missed the coma. smile

And I missed your gem-quality words above the first time around. Pure awesome. Sorry to hear about your coma, BTW. You bumped your head, like really, really hard, I assume?

grin grin

A couple more crappy shots. Sorry about that. Too grumpy and usually rushing off to work when the sun's up.

OK, there's a twist in here. Who'll be the first to spot it?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He's wearing glasses????

Ed
It's going to be a long night...

lol
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
its a white guy with glasses
It's actually Gene Simmons of Kiss fame.

wink
No other guesses? C'mon, now...
Posted By: DuxHateMe Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
BTW, love those netsuke.

And I think the reason you inhaled your JD was the consumption of this immediately prior.....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: DuxHateMe Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
As to the twist.....the faces change on the two pieces but the body and "hair" remain the same.....photoshop vs. interchangeable parts?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
its barney frank.
As to the twist.....the faces change on the two pieces but the body and "hair" remain the same.....photoshop vs. interchangeable parts?

We have a winner; well done Mr. Starling. wink That particular netsuke is of a mythical, creepy old woman with wild hair, called Yomamba (no, not 'yo mama' crazy ) . I forget exactly what she does in the world of Japanese folklore, but I think it may have to do with snatching bad children, and her ability to quickly change appearances.

The netsuke's 'face' is spherical, and it spins on a single axis inside the head. Spin it up or down with a finger, and she goes from mild-mannered old woman to Gene Simmons, or something like that.
BTW, love those netsuke.

And I think the reason you inhaled your JD was the consumption of this immediately prior.....
[Linked Image]

Ah, the Apache Gold special demon dog. Yes, we've done battle, the AGSDD and I. I want a rematch. Actually, on second thought, no I don't.

wink
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
well, I was about to say a guy in drag, not an old lady smile
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
well, I was about to say a guy in drag, not an old lady smile

Well see, your hesitation cost you. Gotta' fire off those guesses quicker, bud. You could have been a contender! wink smile
Posted By: Boggy Creek Ranger Re: Netsuke - 03/25/12
KG thinking on it some I believe you ought to commission one of the netsuke carvers to do you one to honor your heritage. As I understand it you are both Japanese and Scot so you could have a smurf, as they paint themselves blue, holding a fan and a katana. I think that would be cool.

Or you could just go on and sew pockets on your bathrobe and forget the whole deal.
A Smurfurai warrior. I kinda' like it...

wink
A Smurfurai warrior. I kinda' like it...

wink

Wearing an appropriate plaid kilt! grin

Ed
Argghhhhhhh!

wink
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Netsuke - 03/26/12
Sans undies! (Good enough for the Queen!)
Mark
Posted By: Porkypine Re: Netsuke - 03/26/12
KG,having spent some time on Hokiado I developed an appreciation for most of the Japanese art forms, however I was always especially fond of netsukes. I only have three presently and they are in Colorado and I'm in Texas.

On this computer I only have pics of the most recent one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've tried my hand at carving them and discovered that I'm totally inadequate..

[Linked Image]

I wish I had pictures of the other two netsukes, Hotai and A Fisherman, they're nice...
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/26/12
Inadequate my eye. You're very talented, that's easy to see. Wow, and way cool! As stated, I've always wanted to try my hand at it, and have plenty of material to start with, but never got around to it--until now. You've inspired me. Seriously.

If you don't mind, might you share your insight as to tools you've used (I've thought about it before and am thinking Dremel tools, dental picks, files and sandpaper/emery cloth)? Also, what materials have you tried, please?

Too cool! Domo, tomodachi!

The turtle is vegetable ivory, the other two are elk bone. As far as carving is concerned, I'm not much of a traditionalist, I've carved horn and bone using everything you've listed plus regular wood carving tools, pocket knives, razors, sanders, scrimshaw tools and about anything available, short of dynamite, to remove the stuff that's covering up what I want to see...

I started carving wood 40 years ago and somewhere along the line I decided I needed an elk horn belt buckle so I started carving horn and bones.

I apologise for hijacking your thread but here are some of the other cavings that I've got pictures of down here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm getting too old to do much these days. My vision isn't sharp enough and I'm too shaky for real precision.

One bit of advice, If you use a dremel tool or it's ilk get some fine steel tips as well as the larger ones and be prepared for bone horn or ivory to smell terrible when you carve it....
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/26/12
Hijack away! I love it. The teacup/mug in particular is fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing. If you have more, please, post up more pics. Thanks for the suggestions, too. Much appreciated.

Begging your pardon, but what exactly is 'vegetable ivory'?
Posted By: rattler Re: Netsuke - 03/26/12
vegetable ivory is the seeds of a couple species of palm trees.....of course its not ivory but the carving characteristics are close to it....real fine grained, fairly hard and the like....
Vegetable ivory is a product made from the very hard white endosperm of the seeds of certain palm trees. Vegetable ivory is named for its resemblance to elephant ivory.(as per Bing)

It's called a Tagua Nut or Corozo nut. It looks and cuts like ivory but you have to be careful that what you're carving is generally round because it has a hollow center.

I made the teacup for my mother who collected cups. It's about 1 1/4" high. the body is elk horn, the handle is mulie horn.

Thanks

Porkypine, on your netsuke, i dont think your totally inadequate, just need more practice in the style.....your carving in general is very good, far better than i could do....
Rattler, I don't think more practice will do me much good at my age. The problem was and is, a lack of patience. I never have been good at the tail end of a project, I want to get it done!

KG, I have this book at home and it's great. Netsuke Japanese Life and Legend in Miniature by Edwin C. Symmes Jr

It's available on Amazon as well as a number of other titles.
i lack any artistic bone in my body.....i appreciate and buy others work grin
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Netsuke - 03/27/12
Originally Posted by rattler
i lack any artistic bone in my body.....i appreciate and buy others work grin

You ain't alone. wink Porky, thanks a bunch for your input and explanation (and you, rattler).

Few last pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_2031.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_2029.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_2045.jpg[/img]
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: Netsuke - 03/28/12
KG, those are awesome, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: LongRanger280 Re: Netsuke - 03/31/12
I have a collection myself,as well as some kind of a horn that is made from a tusk.Not sure if it is elephant,mammoth,or some sort of a walrus...it'sabout 12"ong and 2 1/2'in diameter with a few sqaured bands near the pointed end. Also have a complete chess set carved from ivory, but no board to go with it. I got it all from a lady that I once worked with. My wife has been after me to sell it all, as she thinks it just clutters up the cases and she complains about dusting it all the time. I think it was valued at arounf $3500.00 when I have it checked about 10 years ago.

The markings on the crab are likely the signature of the artist that carved it. Many certain artist bring premiums for their work,as they are long dead.
Posted By: LongRanger280 Re: Netsuke - 12/05/12
Kamo Gari,

I have a pretty good collection of Netsuke and other bits and pieces of ivory and Rose wood carvings. I had them appraised by an expert about 7 years ago. He detailed each piece. There is also a ivory chess set. Some are Mammoth tusks, others elephant, and if I remember correctly maybe Narwhal or some type of sea lion tusks. there is also a Swahili tribal ceremonial horn that is made from an elephant's tusk.

We are looking to put them up for sale, so if you would like some pics and to get first shot at any of this stuff before we list them on Ebay, let me know.

Thanks,
Longranger280
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Netsuke - 12/06/12
Wow! The detail is truly amazing!
Posted By: rob p Re: Netsuke - 12/06/12
I never heard of Netsuke before. I've got to look around now! My Dad was in MacArthur's occupying force in Okinawa. I have an embroidered tablecloth, some painted chopsticks, painted wooden plates, tea cups... I never looked that closely at figurines in the house.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Netsuke - 12/06/12
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire