Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe
As to the twist.....the faces change on the two pieces but the body and "hair" remain the same.....photoshop vs. interchangeable parts?

We have a winner; well done Mr. Starling. wink That particular netsuke is of a mythical, creepy old woman with wild hair, called Yomamba (no, not 'yo mama' crazy ) . I forget exactly what she does in the world of Japanese folklore, but I think it may have to do with snatching bad children, and her ability to quickly change appearances.

The netsuke's 'face' is spherical, and it spins on a single axis inside the head. Spin it up or down with a finger, and she goes from mild-mannered old woman to Gene Simmons, or something like that.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe
BTW, love those netsuke.

And I think the reason you inhaled your JD was the consumption of this immediately prior.....
[Linked Image]

Ah, the Apache Gold special demon dog. Yes, we've done battle, the AGSDD and I. I want a rematch. Actually, on second thought, no I don't.

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, I was about to say a guy in drag, not an old lady smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
well, I was about to say a guy in drag, not an old lady smile

Well see, your hesitation cost you. Gotta' fire off those guesses quicker, bud. You could have been a contender! wink smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KG thinking on it some I believe you ought to commission one of the netsuke carvers to do you one to honor your heritage. As I understand it you are both Japanese and Scot so you could have a smurf, as they paint themselves blue, holding a fan and a katana. I think that would be cool.

Or you could just go on and sew pockets on your bathrobe and forget the whole deal.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
A Smurfurai warrior. I kinda' like it...

wink

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
A Smurfurai warrior. I kinda' like it...

wink

Wearing an appropriate plaid kilt! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Argghhhhhhh!

wink

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sans undies! (Good enough for the Queen!)
Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
KG,having spent some time on Hokiado I developed an appreciation for most of the Japanese art forms, however I was always especially fond of netsukes. I only have three presently and they are in Colorado and I'm in Texas.

On this computer I only have pics of the most recent one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've tried my hand at carving them and discovered that I'm totally inadequate..

[Linked Image]

I wish I had pictures of the other two netsukes, Hotai and A Fisherman, they're nice...

I am not ppine, please don't confuse me with him....
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Inadequate my eye. You're very talented, that's easy to see. Wow, and way cool! As stated, I've always wanted to try my hand at it, and have plenty of material to start with, but never got around to it--until now. You've inspired me. Seriously.

If you don't mind, might you share your insight as to tools you've used (I've thought about it before and am thinking Dremel tools, dental picks, files and sandpaper/emery cloth)? Also, what materials have you tried, please?

Too cool! Domo, tomodachi!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The turtle is vegetable ivory, the other two are elk bone. As far as carving is concerned, I'm not much of a traditionalist, I've carved horn and bone using everything you've listed plus regular wood carving tools, pocket knives, razors, sanders, scrimshaw tools and about anything available, short of dynamite, to remove the stuff that's covering up what I want to see...

I started carving wood 40 years ago and somewhere along the line I decided I needed an elk horn belt buckle so I started carving horn and bones.

I apologise for hijacking your thread but here are some of the other cavings that I've got pictures of down here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm getting too old to do much these days. My vision isn't sharp enough and I'm too shaky for real precision.

One bit of advice, If you use a dremel tool or it's ilk get some fine steel tips as well as the larger ones and be prepared for bone horn or ivory to smell terrible when you carve it....

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hijack away! I love it. The teacup/mug in particular is fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing. If you have more, please, post up more pics. Thanks for the suggestions, too. Much appreciated.

Begging your pardon, but what exactly is 'vegetable ivory'?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
vegetable ivory is the seeds of a couple species of palm trees.....of course its not ivory but the carving characteristics are close to it....real fine grained, fairly hard and the like....

Last edited by rattler; 03/26/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Vegetable ivory is a product made from the very hard white endosperm of the seeds of certain palm trees. Vegetable ivory is named for its resemblance to elephant ivory.(as per Bing)

It's called a Tagua Nut or Corozo nut. It looks and cuts like ivory but you have to be careful that what you're carving is generally round because it has a hollow center.

I made the teacup for my mother who collected cups. It's about 1 1/4" high. the body is elk horn, the handle is mulie horn.

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Porkypine, on your netsuke, i dont think your totally inadequate, just need more practice in the style.....your carving in general is very good, far better than i could do....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rattler, I don't think more practice will do me much good at my age. The problem was and is, a lack of patience. I never have been good at the tail end of a project, I want to get it done!

KG, I have this book at home and it's great. Netsuke Japanese Life and Legend in Miniature by Edwin C. Symmes Jr

It's available on Amazon as well as a number of other titles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i lack any artistic bone in my body.....i appreciate and buy others work grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rattler
i lack any artistic bone in my body.....i appreciate and buy others work grin

You ain't alone. wink Porky, thanks a bunch for your input and explanation (and you, rattler).

Few last pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_2031.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_2029.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/IMG_2045.jpg[/img]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
KG, those are awesome, thanks for sharing!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,238
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.