Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck drink coke - 04/27/12
Have you read about the woman in NZ who died from drinking coke...ten (10) LITERS of it a day? .

Woman dies after drinking 10 liters of Coke a day Published April 19, 2012 NewsCore
AP A New Zealand mother of eight has died after drinking 10 liters of Coca-Cola a day, a coroner's investigation heard. Natasha Harris, 30, suffered a cardiac arrest that her partner believes was brought on by her massive soft drink intake. Harris, from the southern city of Invercargill, was vomiting six times a week in the months leading up to her sudden death in February 2010, but she attributed it to stress. The mom would become moody, irritable and have no energy without her daily dose of Coke, but the family did not suspect her habit was to blame, the Otago Daily Times reported. Her partner, Chris Hodgkinson, told Otago-Southland coroner David Crerar Wednesday that Harris guzzled at least 10 liters a day. "The first thing she would do in the morning was have a drink of Coke and the last thing she would do in the day was have a drink of Coke by her bed," he said. "I never thought about it. It's just a soft drink, just like drinking water. I didn't think a soft drink was going to kill her." Pathologist Dr. Dan Mornin told the court it was likely Harris had severe hypokalemia -- a lack of potassium in the blood -- brought on by her excessive consumption of soda. He said she died from cardiac arrhythmia, and that her soft drink habit, along with poor nutrition and too much caffeine, contributed to her death. Crerar has yet to determine a cause of death. In a statement to The Southland Times newspaper, a Coca-Cola representative said that "grossly excessive ingestion of any food product, including water" could be harmful. "We believe that all foods and beverages can have a place in a balanced and sensible diet combined with an active lifestyle," the statement added.
Posted By: Redneck Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
yeah, well, if ya drink ten liters of milk every day you'll die too..

Moderation - in ANYTHING is the key...
Posted By: k3yston3 Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
4000 calories and 1080g of sugar a day from the Coke alone...Yikes!
Posted By: Sponxx Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Originally Posted by Redneck
yeah, well, if ya drink ten liters of milk every day you'll die too..
Moderation - in ANYTHING is the key...

I've seen plenty of kids that would drink 1/2 gallon of milk a day and were severely anemic. Bovine milk does affect iron intake, and of course if you get filled with liquid of any kid you are not eating your good stuff.
I've also seen psychiatric patients end up in the ICU from drinking too much water... it ends up diluting your blood electrolytes. I love Cocacola (something about "I love coke doesn't sound right wink ), just not THAT much.
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
If I was going to drink a 'cola' it would be Coca-Cola. Having said that, I feel pretty confident I haven't drank 10 liters of it in the last 10 years.
Posted By: ironbender Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
I don't know how a person could drink 2-1/2 gallons of *anything*.
Posted By: Hemi Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
If you are drinking 10 litres of Coke a day something is wrong..... you have your mixing ratios WAY OFF! No way someone could drink 10 litres of Coke a day with the ratio of rum to Coke I mix smile
Posted By: Hubert Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
I drink the spiced rum, don't want no coke messing it up. grin
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
I've heard of several cases of people dying from drinking too much water. I don't know what a fatal dose is, but it's quite a bit, like several gallons a day.
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Yep, 'water intoxication' causing major electrolyte imbalances...
Posted By: T LEE Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
I like the occasional Coca Cola as well as an Amber Bock or a nice dram or two of good scotch, but come on, ten Liters of anything a day could kill ya!
Posted By: savage62 Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Obama gave us 10 liters of crap and looked what happending to us. An most are going to give him a chance to give you more dumb I say
Posted By: 340boy Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
The only time I have ever gone through 10 liters of anything(water, in my case), is on really long(50-70 mile) mountain bike rides-and I take snacks along that help with your electrolyte levels.

Can't imagine drinking that much soda.

As an aside, did anyone notice that the lady that died had 8 kids?
frown

Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Originally Posted by ironbender
I don't know how a person could drink 2-1/2 gallons of *anything*.

I know some liberals who can drink 2-1/2 gallons of koolaid no problem.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Years ago I knew a guy that drank a 12 pack of Mountain Dew every day. He was such a complete dumbschit, he couldn't figure out why he was getting a gut.

When I explained to him that he was taking in over 2000 calories a day in soda, he switched to Diet Dew.

He's probably dead.
After drinking about 4100 cal/day on top of whatever she ate, I suspect that her waistline (or should I say wasteline) would be 'impressive'.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
It could be worse, it could be fluoride.... eek
Posted By: T LEE Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
smile smile smile smile smile
A while back, there was a thread on here (I think) about a truck driver who weighed over 400 lb. He saw a surveillance video of himself trying to climb into his truck and decided he had to lose weight if we wanted to live. He lost over 200 lb by doing nothing but quitting drinking soda. He was putting away something like 30+ cans a day.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
It could be worse, it could be fluoride.... eek

Hey, as someone who works for the "Fluoride for America" lobby, I am deeply offended by your comments, sir.
grin grin
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Rock Chuck: I am a slightly skeptical person.
I am not compulsively skeptical though.
I have been under Doctors orders to drink 100 ounces of water (H20) a day - this is to combat production of Uric Acid induced Kidney Stones.
I am also a large person at 6' 3" in height - I still find it virtually impossible to drink that much water in a day!
The "victim" in this matter would need to drink 338 ounces of coke a day to reach her alleged "10 liters" per day "quota" - I do not believe that is humanly possible - especially for years on end!
Said woman could (in my opinion!) have overdosed on Coke after years of heavy use... BUT I contend it would be physically impossible to drink that much Coke, day after day, for years!
Its a shame this mother of 8 (eight) children is gone - what ever the cause.
Maybe the "liters" are smaller down in New Zealand (I doubt this) but take it from someone who is under Doctors orders to drink 100 ounces of water a day - I believe it would be humanly impossible to drink 338 ounces of ANY liquid, per day, for years.
I am old enough to remember when airline stewardesses were dropping dead whilst involved with eating nothing but bannanas for months on end, to maintain "airline inflicted" weight limits. Their young hearts simply gave out due to the over-consumption of this seemingly innocuous fruit?
Again, its a shame this mother is gone.
Moderation in everything is my motto (except for GUNS!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posted By: 700LH Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Play stupid games,
win stupid prizes.
google "Natasha Harris coke" and you'll get dozens of hits from different newspapers all reporting it. I can't say just how much she drank because I wasn't there so all we have to go on is what they report.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
I have been under Doctors orders to drink 100 ounces of water (H20) a day - this is to combat production of Uric Acid induced Kidney Stones.
I am also a large person at 6' 3" in height - I still find it virtually impossible to drink that much water in a day!

You need to switch to beer. 100 ounces/day, no problem. grin
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rock Chuck: I am a slightly skeptical person.
I am not compulsively skeptical though.
The "victim" in this matter would need to drink 338 ounces of coke a day to reach her alleged "10 liters" per day "quota" - I do not believe that is humanly possible - especially for years on end!
Said woman could (in my opinion!) have overdosed on Coke after years of heavy use... BUT I contend it would be physically impossible to drink that much Coke, day after day, for years!
Its a shame this mother of 8 (eight) children is gone - what ever the cause.
Maybe the "liters" are smaller down in New Zealand (I doubt this) but take it from someone who is under Doctors orders to drink 100 ounces of water a day - I believe it would be humanly impossible to drink 338 ounces of ANY liquid, per day, for years.
I am old enough to remember when airline stewardesses were dropping dead whilst involved with eating nothing but bannanas for months on end, to maintain "airline inflicted" weight limits. Their young hearts simply gave out due to the over-consumption of this seemingly innocuous fruit?
Again, its a shame this mother is gone.
Moderation in everything is my motto (except for GUNS!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I like to drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half of water a day.
Here's how I do it, for what its worth-
Get one of those big insulated 52 oz mugs, fill it with ice, and fill with some good water, purified, if you can get it.
If I can't get the purified stuff, I squeeze half a small lime or lemon into the water, helps kill the 'city water' taste for me.

Despite people talking about too much water, most people have the opposite problem:not getting *enough* water daily.
By "city water" taste, do you mean chlorinated?
By "city water" taste, do you mean chlorinated?

Mike,
Yes. Sorry, should have been more specific.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
New medical study reveals . . . . . .

Breathing is a major cause of death, because every person who breathes, eventually dies. grin
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if you meant Fe or other aesthetic components. My kids hate drinking "school" (muni) water for that reason. We are on a well at home.

Being in ChemE, I'm sure you know ways to remove the Cl.

Brita is an affordable method.
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if you meant Fe or other aesthetic components. My kids hate drinking "school" (muni) water for that reason. We are on a well at home.

Being in ChemE, I'm sure you know ways to remove the Cl.

Brita is an affordable method.

Brita is one I have used in the past, when I lived in town-worked very nicely.
Now, I live in the country and have a well. Much better.

Activated Carbon is, at least in a household scale, the most common method of chlorine removal. Activated carbon is derived from charcoal, and has an incredibly high surface area,I'm talking like 3000 square feet per GRAM of carbon!
The chlorine adsorbs on to the surface of the carbon.
Not sure how(if) carbon works with multivalent ions,such as metals, but I do know that carbon is good for removing organic chemicals as well.

Your Brita filter, I am pretty sure, uses activated carbon.

Yup. The Brita has ion exchange beads and charcoal polisher.
Yup. The Brita has ion exchange beads and charcoal polisher.

Cool. For all those years I had Brita, I never did tear a filter apart to see how it was made.
Can you believe it?
laugh

Now that I think about it, the Ion Exchange resin will remove many of the metal ions from the water stream.
(I'd like to know what kind of resin the Brita uses, some of the resins I use in my lab((made by Dow or Rohm&Haas)) run 30-50 dollars a pound. eek
Brita removes a lot/most metals.

The RO system we had in one of my labs had an AC prefilter to remove the Cl. The membranes were $700 each, IIRC. Chlorine is a killer.

Cool! I didn't know you worked in labs, Mike. I use RO at my place to get rid of the chlorine. I can't remember the concentration of Cl in my local water, but it is fairly high. Also a lot of limesalts presnt. Makes it fun trying to keep the boilers and heat exchangers free of scale.
mad
Certified lab rat. wink
Certified lab rat. wink

Me too.
I know. We need to have a beer sometime! wink
Yeah. I would like that. Gimme an excuse to get up to Alaska.
Never been up there. frown
Don't dawdle.
Don't dawdle.

No kiddin! Life starts to go by fast in your forties, I have noticed.
cry
Posted By: Sponxx Re: drink coke - 04/27/12
Originally Posted by the_shootist
New medical study reveals . . . . . .
Breathing is a major cause of death, because every person who breathes, eventually dies. grin

Actually birth is THE major cause of death wink. Sadly I've seen those born who died without ever even breathing.

At some point in med school I did the math about water intoxication - the deadred dihydrogen monoxide.
A 70kg male would need about 6-7 Liters of water to get symptoms of acute hyponatremia (low sodium). If it is chronic intake it might be even more water needed. Massive exercise with adequate volume of water replaced, but no electrolytes can also cause problems - Enter Gatorade et al.
A healthy adult needs 2 liters per day of water at least (60-70oz/day). Those with kidney problems as mentioned need more to dilute and prevent the crystal/stone formation.

Soda in general has a lot of phosphorous and sodium, which chronically might deplete your calcium and potassium balance, causing poor heart conduction and arrhythmias. Excess potassium (too many bananas) is actually deadlier than low potassium.
© 24hourcampfire