Home
Posted By: Sauer200 Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
I need some recommendations on cutting up a log splitter that was fabricated from a steel I beam. The top and bottom plates are one half inch thick by eight inches wide the center piece is about ten inches high. I currently have at my disposal a four and a half inch angle grinder, a saws all and a circular saw.Will abrasive blades for the circular saw work for this? I do not have a torch or welder.
Thanks
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Find a torch.
Posted By: burner Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
You will have a tough time cutting the center piece with the circ saw. Think of the max depth of the circ saw (probably @ 3" per side) and you're going to have a large 4-5" section of the center part of the beam that won't get cut. The sawzall could finish the job there.

I would strongly recommend renting a torch for a job like this.

Is this cut needing to be pretty, or just cut? Sawzall would do it all with enough blades and time. It may or may not be pretty either way.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Take a bunch of grinding. You would probably get way tired of this project before you finally got it cut.

If it was mine, I'd cart it down to a local welding shop and get them to cut it with a torch per my directions. I'd then take it home and smooth it up, using my grinders.

IMHO,

DF
As long as time and lung cancer are of little concern, just buy about 100 thin discs and proceed with caution.

You need a torch or a demo saw.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
The Sawzall will take forever and a 4.5" grinder with cutoff discs will be only marginally faster. Your circular saw will work with abrasive blades but they're rather thick and they will take some time as well. You'll also go through several of then making one cut.
I'd look into one of the dedicated metal cutting carbide tooth blades for your circular saw. Barring a torch that will be your quickest option but it will put a lot of wear and tear on your saw.

I'd borrow or rent a torch.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
hack saw
and you'll have an arm like Popeye!
My cobra torch will make short work of any beam!
And leave a cut as smooth as any saw.
Posted By: tzone Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Originally Posted by crowrifle
Find a torch.

This ^^^^^ is how it needs to be done.
Posted By: 257wby Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Originally Posted by Sauer200
I need some recommendations on cutting up a log splitter that was fabricated from a steel I beam. The top and bottom plates are one half inch thick by eight inches wide the center piece is about ten inches high. I currently have at my disposal a four and a half inch angle grinder, a saws all and a circular saw.Will abrasive blades for the circular saw work for this? I do not have a torch or welder.
Thanks

I'd sell the log splitter complete and get a new beam cut to your specs.
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
This unit is getting cut up for scrap.It is in a tough location or I would just drag it out whole.
The circular saw is an elcheapo that I bought many moons ago so if it dies oh well.I never thought of renting torches. That may be FUN!!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Find Chuck Norris. He'll do it with his bare hands. laugh
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Find Chuck Norris. He'll do it with his bare hands. laugh

A few more years in the weather and I might be able to do that my self!
Posted By: poboy Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Torch, but I've had good luck with a sawzall blade called "The Torch". Cut some 2'' angle iron really well.
This unit is getting cut up for scrap.It is in a tough location or I would just drag it out whole.
The circular saw is an elcheapo that I bought many moons ago so if it dies oh well.I never thought of renting torches. That may be FUN!!

If you need any tips, let me know. I did the job professionally before (hence my handle) and can provide advice if necessary.
Originally Posted by poboy
Torch, but I've had good luck with a sawzall blade called "The Torch". Cut some 2'' angle iron really well.

Yes, those "torch" blades are good...I forget what brand they are, Milwaukee perhaps?
Originally Posted by burner
Originally Posted by poboy

Yes, those "torch" blades are good...I forget what brand they are, Milwaukee perhaps?

I believe Milwaukee is the brand.
a cheap ( diposable ) circular saw and an abrasive blade will worry through it.

It beats a hack saw....
A.) Torch (best option)

B.) Stihl "Demolition saw" with a 20" Abrasive cut off wheel.

WEAR a dust mask !

GTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ima2ITyMV4c
That's not "Torch Cutting" in that vid,....it's metal butchery.

Over 50 years into metal trades, I'm just not real big on grinders.

Few Louisiana pipe fitters are, actually.

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

WEAR a dust mask !

GTC

Good advice! Actually I find myself wearing a dust mask/safety goggles for almost all sanding/grinding projects.
See if you can rent a plasma cutter.
Posted By: old70 Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
C4 and a ribbon charge. It'll look like it was done with a torch, but be a lot louder.
Posted By: 14cm Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
torch
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
.270 Winchester w/ Barnes boolits

GTC

Funny thing, and you've likely seen it too...many a great welder have I worked with, bit those who were truly good with a torch were few. It seems everyone wants a #4 tip to chew through sched 40.....lol.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12

why even do anything to it all beside drag it to the scrape yard and sell it...at the price of scrape iron, you will not get any less out of it being in one big peice, than it will be worth your time and cost to cut it up.
Originally Posted by high_country_

GTC

Funny thing, and you've likely seen it too...many a great welder have I worked with, bit those who were truly good with a torch were few. It seems everyone wants a #4 tip to chew through sched 40.....lol.

Torch cutting is an art as much as a science. I did it for over a year. I'm not an expert, but before I left, one of the guys at the yard told me "You're the second best torch-cutter we've ever had," next to a guy who had done it for @ 8 years. It takes patience, skill, and forethought. I enjoyed the work while I did it.
Originally Posted by burner
Originally Posted by high_country_

GTC

Torch cutting is an art as much as a science. I did it for over a year. I'm not an expert, but before I left, one of the guys at the yard told me "You're the second best torch-cutter we've ever had," next to a guy who had done it for @ 8 years. It takes patience, skill, and forethought. I enjoyed the work while I did it.

Well I may have very well been the guy that your yard man was talkin about..... smile
Posted By: jstall Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
As a welding instructor for the last 25 years, I can tell you that circular saw and abrasive wheel is going to get old real quick on thick I-beam. A torch will make short work of that project.In any event, good luck with whatever you choose.
Originally Posted by jstall
As a welding instructor for the last 25 years, I can tell you that circular saw and abrasive wheel is going to get old real quick on thick I-beam.

Wy Ya,....thats about as close as you can get to screwin a monkey with a football...
Having half assed my way through any number of projects like this before, I can tell you from experience. Rent the torch, or take it to a professional. It'll be cheaper in the long run.
You can cheap out and go oxy/propane to save a buck. I would expect to use up about $50 worth of cut off wheels....not including the lung cancer or time at the eye Dr......and should you drop, crack, run one out of balance.....just throw it away.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
What's the problem? 2 or 3 cut of blades for the circular saw, cut through on top and bottom.

Couple cut-off blades for the 4-1/2" grinder, remove the guard and cut through the web...

Nothing to it, just takes time and a little patience...

Be prepared to get covered with grinding dust.

Phil
Posted By: Lonny Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Do yourself a favor and rent a oxy/acet torch if necessary.

By the time you worry through that beam with circular saw and 4.5" grinder, you'll need a new one of each along with having a pile of spent wheels/blades.
Posted By: RWE Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Has anyone suggested finding a torch yet?
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
If you have the ability to use a cutting outfit, and want to spend the money and time to rent a cutting out fit to cut one beam for scrap have at it.

Otherwise what you have will cut through it in less than 20 minutes and most of that will be tied up in changing wheels.

Place your marks and make a lite cut first 1/8" to 1/4", then set the saw for a 1" cut and have at it... the lite cut will guide the saw.

Same in cutting the web.

Have done it quite offten... and blades for the two are fairly cheap.

Phil
Cheap is the idea.
I am doing this as a favor for a neighbor and I fear it is going to end up costing me money that I don't want to spend right now!

No good deed goes unpunished!

I just didn't want to start into this and end up not being able to finish it with the equipment at hand.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
You want cheap? Get that neighbor to do it himself! smile
Originally Posted by BarryC

I am afraid that the sparks would ignite his oxygen! shocked

Posted By: SLM Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
Originally Posted by Greyghost
If you have the ability to use a cutting outfit, and want to spend the money and time to rent a cutting out fit to cut one beam for scrap have at it.

Otherwise what you have will cut through it in less than 20 minutes and most of that will be tied up in changing wheels.

Place your marks and make a lite cut first 1/8" to 1/4", then set the saw for a 1" cut and have at it... the lite cut will guide the saw.

Same in cutting the web.

Phil

Care to make a wager on that statement? smile
Posted By: Loggah Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
This is what i use works every time, !!! grin Don

[Linked Image]
Posted By: blanket Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
By the sounds of it the best route would be to just give the thing to a scrapper to remove it
Posted By: jstall Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/17/12
An 8" I-beam, 1/2" thick, with a 10" web in 20 minutes, with an abrasive blade on a circular saw? I don't think so!
Originally Posted by blanket
By the sounds of it the best route would be to just give the thing to a scrapper to remove it

Winner!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by BarryC

I am afraid that the sparks would ignite his oxygen! shocked

Can't happen.
Posted By: FVA Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by Greyghost

Same in cutting the web.

Phil

Care to make a wager on that statement? smile

Yeah, that is wishful thinking. Cut off wheels for grinders are a great thing but to a I beam as described they are but a decent air rifle on a water buff hunt.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by Loggah

[Linked Image]

LOL!!!,..I bet i does! grin
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Can you get the thing in a pickup? Just take it to any metal shop and have them torch or saw it in half. Won't take them 10 min and is a lot easier than renting a torch.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Put an ad in craigslist and sell it. Let the buyer worry about moving it.
Zip discs. Take it apart weld by weld until it managable enough to man handle it.

Or find a fawking torch.
Posted By: blanket Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Kind of obvious that not many have had to pay for the disks to cut some POS like this apart with a grinder, or anything short of a gas axe, nor had to do it. Russ
Posted By: blanket Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
If you could get it in a truck, why would you pay to have it cut???
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Mix up a bit of thermite.......
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by Loggah

[Linked Image]

That will work.
Can I borrow it this weekend? laugh
Posted By: Loggah Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
grin I'll probably be using it tomorrow!! with the economy the way it is,Saturdays are a busy day in the scrapyard !!!
Posted By: jimone Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Smoke wrench.
Posted By: Jtown Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/18/12
Cut it yet? Gonna cost a fortune in cut off wheels.
Originally Posted by blanket
Kind of obvious that not many have had to pay for the disks to cut some POS like this apart with a grinder, or anything short of a gas axe, nor had to do it. Russ

More than obvious ive cut a [bleep] ton of steel using various techniques and given the OPs options, dismantling the [bleep] splitter via welds is the best option short of letting the son of bitch rust over the course of 175 years.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/20/12
Originally Posted by jimone
Smoke wrench.

Gas axe. wink
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/20/12
Thanks

I used a 4.5" angle grinder to cut a 10" I-beam whilst building my house 3 years ago. If I remember right it took three of the 1/16" disks. Possibly four, but I'm pretty sure it was three. They were the cheap $0.99 disks. I was impressed with them. Seems like it took 10-15 minutes, if you don't rush them along they'll last a while longer.
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/20/12

Shovel.

HOle.

Backfill.

Posted By: Crockettnj Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/20/12
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Mix up a bit of thermite.......

Not sure if you were serious or not, but that's actually not a terrible idea.

Though imo the craigslist / let the buyer take care of it is the best route if you can pull it off.
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/20/12
I was being serious........
Posted By: bea175 Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/20/12
use a file
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/23/12
Originally Posted by archie_james_c

More than obvious ive cut a [bleep] ton of steel using various techniques and given the OPs options, dismantling the [bleep] splitter via welds is the best option short of letting the son of bitch rust over the course of 175 years.

Does this imply that cutting it where it was welded would be easier?
we were surveying the situation and if I can cut it into three smaller pieces I could winch them onto a truck.

I like the thermite suggestions!
Posted By: burner Re: Cutting a steel I beam? - 05/23/12
Sure, think of it as reverse-engineering it.

I used to torch-cut things along bolt holes or areas of welds if possible rather than making a new cut. If I can lop off the head of a couple of bolts (or smear a couple of welds) it's easier than making a new cut.
© 24hourcampfire