S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

WEAR a dust mask !

GTC

Good advice! Actually I find myself wearing a dust mask/safety goggles for almost all sanding/grinding projects.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
See if you can rent a plasma cutter.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
C4 and a ribbon charge. It'll look like it was done with a torch, but be a lot louder.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
torch

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
.270 Winchester w/ Barnes boolits

GOA
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's not "Torch Cutting" in that vid,....it's metal butchery.

Over 50 years into metal trades, I'm just not real big on grinders.

Few Louisiana pipe fitters are, actually.

GTC

Funny thing, and you've likely seen it too...many a great welder have I worked with, bit those who were truly good with a torch were few. It seems everyone wants a #4 tip to chew through sched 40.....lol.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sauer200
This unit is getting cut up for scrap.It is in a tough location or I would just drag it out whole.
The circular saw is an elcheapo that I bought many moons ago so if it dies oh well.I never thought of renting torches. That may be FUN!!

Thanks for the suggestions!

why even do anything to it all beside drag it to the scrape yard and sell it...at the price of scrape iron, you will not get any less out of it being in one big peice, than it will be worth your time and cost to cut it up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by high_country_

GTC

Funny thing, and you've likely seen it too...many a great welder have I worked with, bit those who were truly good with a torch were few. It seems everyone wants a #4 tip to chew through sched 40.....lol.

Torch cutting is an art as much as a science. I did it for over a year. I'm not an expert, but before I left, one of the guys at the yard told me "You're the second best torch-cutter we've ever had," next to a guy who had done it for @ 8 years. It takes patience, skill, and forethought. I enjoyed the work while I did it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by burner
Originally Posted by high_country_

GTC

Torch cutting is an art as much as a science. I did it for over a year. I'm not an expert, but before I left, one of the guys at the yard told me "You're the second best torch-cutter we've ever had," next to a guy who had done it for @ 8 years. It takes patience, skill, and forethought. I enjoyed the work while I did it.

Well I may have very well been the guy that your yard man was talkin about..... smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As a welding instructor for the last 25 years, I can tell you that circular saw and abrasive wheel is going to get old real quick on thick I-beam. A torch will make short work of that project.In any event, good luck with whatever you choose.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jstall
As a welding instructor for the last 25 years, I can tell you that circular saw and abrasive wheel is going to get old real quick on thick I-beam.

Wy Ya,....thats about as close as you can get to screwin a monkey with a football...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Having half assed my way through any number of projects like this before, I can tell you from experience. Rent the torch, or take it to a professional. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can cheap out and go oxy/propane to save a buck. I would expect to use up about $50 worth of cut off wheels....not including the lung cancer or time at the eye Dr......and should you drop, crack, run one out of balance.....just throw it away.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What's the problem? 2 or 3 cut of blades for the circular saw, cut through on top and bottom.

Couple cut-off blades for the 4-1/2" grinder, remove the guard and cut through the web...

Nothing to it, just takes time and a little patience...

Be prepared to get covered with grinding dust.

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do yourself a favor and rent a oxy/acet torch if necessary.

By the time you worry through that beam with circular saw and 4.5" grinder, you'll need a new one of each along with having a pile of spent wheels/blades.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone suggested finding a torch yet?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you have the ability to use a cutting outfit, and want to spend the money and time to rent a cutting out fit to cut one beam for scrap have at it.

Otherwise what you have will cut through it in less than 20 minutes and most of that will be tied up in changing wheels.

Place your marks and make a lite cut first 1/8" to 1/4", then set the saw for a 1" cut and have at it... the lite cut will guide the saw.

Same in cutting the web.

Have done it quite offten... and blades for the two are fairly cheap.

Phil

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Cheap is the idea.
I am doing this as a favor for a neighbor and I fear it is going to end up costing me money that I don't want to spend right now!

No good deed goes unpunished!

I just didn't want to start into this and end up not being able to finish it with the equipment at hand.

Last edited by Sauer200; 05/17/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You want cheap? Get that neighbor to do it himself! smile

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BarryC
You want cheap? Get that neighbor to do it himself! smile

I am afraid that the sparks would ignite his oxygen! shocked

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

410 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,158
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.