Home
An amazing statistic

[Linked Image]

We hear all the time that the "rich don't pay their fair share of taxes" (123,000 Google search results for that phrase). Here's an analysis using recent IRS data that suggests otherwise.

1. In 2009, the top 400 taxpayers based on Adjusted Gross Income earned $81 billion as a group, and paid $16.1 billion in federal income taxes (see chart above).

2. In 2009, the bottom 50% of taxpayers, a group totaling 69 million, earned collectively more than $1 trillion and paid $19.5 billion in federal income taxes (see chart above).

Bottom Line: A small group of 400 of America's most successful earners in 2009, about the number of residents living in a typical apartment building in Washington, D.C., paid almost as much in federal income taxes as the entire bottom half of America's 138 million tax filers, which is a population equivalent to the combined number of residents living in America's 29 least populated states, plus the District of Columbia. What makes this disparity possible is the fact that an estimated 47% of individual income tax returns filed in 2009 had a zero or negative tax liability.

When you have only 400 Americans paying almost as much in federal income taxes as the entire bottom 50% of American filing income tax returns, I think we can dismiss any notion of the rich not paying their fair share of taxes. In fact, the IRS should publish the names and addresses of the Top 400 (or to protect anonymity, agree to provide a forwarding service), so that we can all send them "Thank You" letters to express our gratitude for shouldering such a disproportionate share of our collective tax burden.
Let's look at it this way, using your numbers:

- the TOP 400 earners paid 19.8% of their income in taxes.
- the BOTTOM 50% of earners paid 19.5% of their income in taxes.

Unmentioned is those between the bottom 50% and the top 400 (probably the (0.0001%) - they are the ones bearing the brunt.

I am just below the top 1% in earnings and within the top 1% in wealth, and I feel that top earners can and should pay more to support the nation.

You are free to write a check to the government anytime you feel motivated to do so.
Originally Posted by djs

Unmentioned is those between the bottom 50% and the top 400 (probably the (0.0001%) - they are the ones bearing the brunt.

I am just below the top 1% in earnings and within the top 1% in wealth, and I feel that top earners can and should pay more to support the nation.

http://www.fms.treas.gov/faq/moretopics_gifts.html
Happy to help.
From the URL:

Citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government may send contributions to a specific account called "Gifts to the United States." This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts, such as bequests, from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States.
Who's to say DJS hasn't sent a check, or even several checks, as gifts to the Gov't?

Why avoid his main point?

The middle 49.99% of the people bear the brunt.

I will add that it is shocking to me that 400 people have almost the same income as everyone in the bottom 50% (69 million people according to the post!!) of taxpayers!
flat tax across the board is the way to go.
DJS...Since when is 19.5 billion 19.5% of 1.05 TRILLION?
There is a math issue here. The bottom 50% did NOT pay 19.5% of their income in taxes.....they paid 1.9% of their income in taxes. Likewise they did not earn roughly the same as the top 400....they earned over 10 times that amount.

If you look close, the top 400 earned $81 billion. (On the graph it looks like 881 billion, but the first character is actually a dollar sign.) Wheras the lower 50% earned $1.05 trillion (or a thousand billion).

Edit: looks like others also spotted the math errors.
Shhhhh... Don't tell DJS about his math error. He thinks he's almost a 1%'er, too.
Originally Posted by djs

I hope your job doesn't involve math or reading graphs....you might want to try those numbers again.
Add the 50% of americans that pay no tax...

Kent
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Who's to say DJS hasn't sent a check, or even several checks, as gifts to the Gov't?

I will add that it is shocking to me that 400 people have almost the same income as everyone in the bottom 50% (69 million people according to the post!!) of taxpayers!

someone else needs to go to remedial math and graph reading school. and no, my friend, the group that bears the brunt is the top 25%, who pay more than 85% of all personal income taxes.
my friend, the group that bears the brunt is the top 25%, who pay more than 85% of all personal income taxes.

Bingo!
Originally Posted by djs

- the BOTTOM 50% of earners paid 1.95% of their income in taxes.

Liberals even change math to make their point.
Originally Posted by djs

You're numbers are screwed up.....besides they can quit fuggin spending and the welfare rats can go get a fuggin job.
Originally Posted by djs

Fact is most people under $40K a year pay near zero or get money back.
DOH!!!!

I read that as $881 billion.

And, that was my point. The poorest can't pay much; they just don't have it. The middle class can (and should) pay taxes, but they are stressed with daily expenses. The wealthiest can pay more (although I recognize they too have limits); how many 150' yachts can they use at one time.
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Originally Posted by djs

Fact is most people under $40K a year pay near zero or get money back.

Who pays little or no taxes in the USA? see: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3505
The poorest don't have much because the government gives them just enough to get them by without having to work for anything. Take away the handouts and people would get off their asses, get a job, become a tax payer and start contributing for a change.
Originally Posted by djs

And, that was my point. The poorest can't pay much; they just don't have it. The middle class can (and should) pay taxes, but they are stressed with daily expenses. The wealthiest can pay more (although I recognize they too have limits); how many 150' yachts can they use at one time.

and if you ever sat and watched what a hell of alot of those on the bottom waste their money on you wouldnt be so quick to write off they cant afford anything....around here a hell of alot of the kids in the lowest rungs are running around in designer shirts and jeans that cost $80 while im right at the 50% mark and i hit the Army-Navy surplus shop to buy $3 shirts for work.....
Originally Posted by djs
The wealthiest can pay more (although I recognize they too have limits); how many 150' yachts can they use at one time.

I hope they buy yachts by the dozen - that means jobs. If they don't buy yachts they invest - that means jobs.

You seem to think that government confiscation is a better alternative.
In Washington state a family of 4 on food stamps gets roughly 800 dollars a month from .gov to purchase their food and such, their cart is full of frozen pizzas, twinkies, cookies, steaks, etc...

My family of 4 is on a food budget of 600 per month (including laundary soap, cleaning supplies, etc...), we buy very little if any junk food, make all of our meals at home, and rarely eat a beef steak or eat out. Why should someone who doesn't work for a living get to live better than I do working full time?
Originally Posted by eh76

It's the only way. The law of the land even states everyone treated equally under the law why aren't we there. Can you say vote buying? Penis envey is Obama number one weapon.
Originally Posted by djs

I do not believe they should be forced to pay more to support the nation.

Anyone who feels they personally should pay more is free to do it.

There is a problem when people begin to decide what I owe for the same services (or less) than the next person.

Snake
Originally Posted by djs

bullschitt everyone pays their fair share....flat tax is the way to go.

BOTTOM LINE IS THE FUGGIN GOOBERMINT NEEDS TO CUT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS called free enterprise. That means if you have the guts to actually take a chance you may become rich in this country. Sit on yer ass and not much chance of it happening. Doesn't matter how many yachts they need if they come by the money honestly. FREE ENTERPRISE!!! Its their money. If you don't like this system go to a communist country and have a good time. ED K

It's the only way. The law of the land even states everyone treated equally under the law why aren't we there. Can you say vote buying? Penis envey is Obama number one weapon.

I disagree, and rather favor the Fair Tax concept as it is rooted in consumption.
Originally Posted by djs

DJS,

That's been tried before too. From PBS, no less. Class envy is a job killer.

"The theory behind the luxury tax sounded simple enough. Congress believed anyone willing to spend $100,000 or more on a new boat surely would be willing to pay an additional 10 percent to the federal government. But that didn't happen. Rather than pay the tax, many people in the market to buy a boat either didn't buy one, or bought one overseas. As a result, the luxury tax didn't bring in much money at all, and the customers' reluctance to buy put the boat-building business, particularly here in Rhode Island, out of business. We first visited Rhode Island in June of 1992. The luxury tax had been in effect for 18 months. Tens of thousands of jobs had been lost across the country, thousands in Rhode Island alone."

Kwame Holman looks at how a 1990 bu...e a luxury tax it instituted, back fired
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I disagree, and rather favor the Fair Tax concept as it is rooted in consumption.

sales tax??
Djs: You are living in bizarro land if you think the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country today are paying 19.5% of their income to the Feds in income taxes every year!
Do you even live in this country (United States of America!)?
And you make no sense what so ever with your "0.0001%" contention either.
Like ejh mentions the only fair tax (remember the equal justice under the law doctrine?) is a flat tax that applies to EVERY wage earner, not excluding hussein oblamer voters like is the norm today!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
djs' theory is the standard liberal class-envy angle. I mean how many times does one have to show the data indicating "the poor" pay ZERO income tax and the rest of us pay the lion's share, and even if we were to confiscate then entire wealth of "the rich" it wouldn't even begin to pay for all the entitlements for these no loads?

If it went that way the income tax wouldn't go away. When was the last time you saw a tax eliminated. So we'd be still paying a income tax and say a 20% comsumption tax you need to be careful what you ask for.
Originally Posted by djs

why should a person just because they earn more pay a higher % of their income to the government?

ML

+1000000000

ML
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Djs: You are living in bizarro land if you think the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country today are paying 19.5% of their income to the Feds in income taxes every year!

That has been pointed out to him over and over but he refuses to acknowledge his ignorance on the subject. Pretty much renders all his arguments worthless. Eh?

Do you even live in this country (United States of America!)?
And you make no sense what so ever with your "0.0001%" contention either.
Like ejh mentions the only fair tax (remember the equal justice under the law doctrine?) is a flat tax that applies to EVERY wage earner, not excluding hussein oblamer voters like is the norm today!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The numbers are not mine; I took them directly from the initial posting and offer no opinion as to their veracity. The initial posting said: "2. In 2009, the bottom 50% of taxpayers, a group totaling 69 million, earned collectively more than $1 trillion and paid $19.5 billion in federal income taxes (see chart above).�

"And you make no sense what so ever with your "0.0001%" contention either." Yes, I did just make up the ""0.0001%". I don't know what the actual number is but 400 taxpayers out of 131,113,969 tax returns is a small percentage -- you do the math. see: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_pay_taxes_each_year_in_the_US

The median income of US households is $46,326 (see: http://www.mybudget360.com/how-much-does...income-numbers/ ). I pay almost twice that in income taxes each year, so I'd certainly benefit from lower taxes; I am talking about equity in tax policy. If we want a strong military, solid Social Security and Medicare Programs (very popular among elderly conservatives), etc. the money has to come from somewhere.
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by djs

why should a person just because they earn more pay a higher % of their income to the government?

ML

1. They are better able to pay to support the nation.
2. they have more freedom (choice is often derived from the ability to pay, so they have greater freedom of choice)
3. They derive a greater benefit in terms of protection, rights, living standards and, health (they can afford broccoli, fresh vegetables and excellent medical care).
4. They get more and better tax breaks than others. E.G., if I wasn't able to write off a number of deductions, my tax bill would be about $45-48,000 HIGHER each year. Thank God for those deductions; I'll use them all I can, realizing that I get something many don't!

It is interesting that many here keep defending the wealthier when in fact, they are not there and probably never will be. If a magic fairy gave everyone $2,000,000, then there would still be a top 1.5% and they wouldn�t be in it, according to the laws of statistics.
Originally Posted by AlaskaFE

That has been pointed out to him over and over but he refuses to acknowledge his ignorance on the subject. Pretty much renders all his arguments worthless. Eh?

As I said previously, I just used the numbers posted by Steve (first posting). Not my numbers.
The numbers ARE yours.....you did the math coming up with 19%....you're a decimal place off. It averages to 1.9%
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
The numbers ARE yours.....you did the math coming up with 19%....you're a decimal place off. It averages to 1.9%

That has also been pointed out to him numerous times on this thread, he obviously doesn't see that he misunderstood the chart and or made an error in his calculations.
All one has to do is walk in and say your EBT card was stolen and they issue another.
Take it out on the street sell it for pennys on the $ buy drugs or booze
and then go back the next day for another.
49.1% of the country is on one form or more of assistance!
I know....was giving him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe in his world it is too easy to confuse billions and trillions and the number of zeroes in each.
Originally Posted by djs

2. they have more freedom (choice is often derived from the ability to pay, so they have greater freedom of choice)
3. They derive a greater benefit in terms of protection, rights, living standards and, health (they can afford broccoli, fresh vegetables and excellent medical care).
4. They get more and better tax breaks than others. E.G., if I wasn't able to write off a number of deductions, my tax bill would be about $45-48,000 HIGHER each year. Thank God for those deductions; I'll use them all I can, realizing that I get something many don't!

It is interesting that many here keep defending the wealthier when in fact, they are not there and probably never will be. If a magic fairy gave everyone $2,000,000, then there would still be a top 1.5% and they wouldn�t be in it, according to the laws of statistics.

Yup, there MIGHT be a small gain if they do what you suggest but then "...and Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They [socialists] always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them." Margaret Thatcher. So, what you suggest doesn't work at all. Yawn, next subject.

Originally Posted by djs
[quote=VarmintGuy]Djs: You are living in bizarro land if you think the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country today are paying 19.5% of their income to the Feds in income taxes every year!

The numbers are not mine; I took them directly from the initial posting and offer no opinion as to their veracity. The initial posting said: "2. In 2009, the bottom 50% of taxpayers, a group totaling 69 million, earned collectively more than $1 trillion and paid $19.5 billion in federal income taxes (see chart above).�

you're confusing dollars with per cent. $19.5 billion is less than 2% of a trillion dollars, not 19%.
Liberal math... what's a zero or decimal point here or there... it's the agenda that matters...

Kent
Originally Posted by djs

Completely irrelevant and goes against all sense of fairness. It is simply unethical to forcibly take more from one person than another simply because they have more.

What has that got to do with anything?

Not true. I paid about $50K last year in taxes and used virtually no government services, while many around me that don't work received a stream of welfare payments, free healthcare, baby sitting services, etc. while they also cost the government money by their burden on the criminal justice system by frequent arrests and incarceration.

There's no such thing as a "tax break". It's simply reducing taxes that shouldn't have been owed to begin with. The government setting taxes at an exorbitant level then expecting to be praised because they temporarily reduced them is much akin to me claiming that I gave you a car because I didn't steal your vehicle.

To anyone with a sense of fairness and decency it doesn't matter if they'll ever be in the top 1.5% or not, we can still tell right from wrong. I'll never be Chinese either, but I still feel sympathy for those living under the horrors of their communist system.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

grin
what happened to djs? where is SAcharlie to straighten us all out? crazy
Sulking. He went back and redid the math and found out he was almost in the top 100%.
Originally Posted by Mntngoat
Originally Posted by djs

ML

Because it gives people like obama leverage to play the penis envey game.
Originally Posted by Gregdoo

All of you are right. I did slip a decimal point. Sorry.
what happened to djs? where is SAcharlie to straighten us all out? crazy

I'm here man, I had several meetings this afternoon and had to drop off. The math was my error.

sales tax??

The Europeans favor a "Value Added" tax. Here's a quote from Investopedia:

"Definition of 'Value-Added Tax - VAT'
A type of consumption tax that is placed on a product whenever value is added at a stage of production and at final sale. Value-added tax (VAT) is most often used in the European Union. The amount of value-added tax that the user pays is the cost of the product, less any of the costs of materials used in the product that have already been taxed."

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/valueaddedtax.asp#ixzz1xFS5JPRy

You willing to put that on everything?
deleted, (didnt finish the thread)
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

You willing to put that on everything?

specify please. I am talking income tax only and ONLY after the goobermint cuts back on spending and eliminates redundancy. No I am not in favor of income tax and national sales tax.

I am referring to a flat rate income tax that applies to EVERYONE. If you feel the need to pay more tax to the goobermint to waste you go right ahead.

I am for the elimination of welfare and other social subsidy programs. People can get off their lazy asses and get a job. If there is going to be welfare they should perform some service...picking up trash is a good start. Even when I was a single parent raising 2 very young sons on my own and qualified for assistance I wouldn't take it. Hand outs are the easy/lazy way out.
Specify!
Simply a flat tax on all income; no exceptions no adjustments.
yep a same% on EVERYONE. I don't get any adjustments why should they?

You make $1 or $1,000,000 you pay the same rate top to bottom.

BUT in addition we need to gut goobermint services and ELIMINATE redundancy.
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

You willing to put that on everything?body
do you qualify for an earned income tax credit?

Because many of the low wages earners do and often receive more back via the earned income credits and in reality pay NO taxes and actually are given extra money in the form of these credts. This includes millions of illegal aliens.

The local Spanish YV and radio language stations adrvertise this fact heavily eavery tax season.

What a racket and you think we should pay more in taxes?

Originally Posted by djs

© 24hourcampfire