Home
Posted By: Teal Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
All -

When I comes to beers - I prefer stouts and belgians. Not a hop head.

Therefore I had to share. Came across Buffalo Sweat by Tallgrass Brewing out of Manhatten KS. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but believe is a great beer.

Hands down, the best stout I've come across in a VERY long time. It's an Oatmeal Cream Stout.

Prefer it over Left Hand's Milk Stout, over Guinness and even Guinness Foreign Extra.

I've been drinking it over my homebrew - that good. Of course now exact kits are available from Northern Brewer to make your own if you aren't in Tallgrass' distro. They're not clones - they are the real deal, put together in partnership with Tallgrass. It's essentially their recipie - scaled down for 5 gallons at a time.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: eh76 Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
You could be a pal and bring one over....
Posted By: Teal Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
I'm, quite literally, drinking the last of the pack right now.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
A&W Root Beer is the best
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
sumbich.... me here with my molson canadian....

grumble....
Posted By: jryoung Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
If you like Belgians, seek this out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: djs Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
I do like Belgian Abbey Ales, plus a number of porters and stouts. I recommend that you look for Left Hand Brewing "Smokejumper" Smoked porter!
Posted By: djs Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
Originally Posted by jryoung
If you like Belgians, seek this out.

[Linked Image]

anything by Ommegang is great. It was founded by a Belgian abby of monks and is now also brewed in NY state.
Posted By: Teal Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
Tallgrass also makes a Belgian Tripple - available in can, called Velvet Rooster. Supposed to be excellent. Am thinking I'll get some tomorrow along with more Sweat...
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beer recommendation - 06/21/12
A couple recommendations along the same.

One of the better Belgian styles somewhat readily available.

[Linked Image]

Not technically a stout, but one of the best dark beers one will find anywhere.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Teal Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
If you're a malt guy like me - I can also recommend "Old Chub" by Oskar Blues.

Great Scotch Ale.
Posted By: deflave Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
I love a good beer thread. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Travis
I've got a kriek going in fermenter #2 right now in the basement. Not going to bottle it till April 2013. Then bottle condition it a bit.

It's killing me...
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Thirty years ago I dank beer to get drunk - wasn't too fussy 'bout brands, and I don't believe lite (or lights) were even around.

Then I just quit drinking altogether for over twenty years. Now, I'll have a beer now 'n' then - but only for enjoyment of taste, and I don't recall the last time I've had more than two (probably thirty years ago). Now, I want taste - big, bold beer flavor. No tooty-fruity, no nuts, or berries - beer. I've found room temperature to be quite pleasing, and providing of the best flavor.
Posted By: jeffdwhite Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Man, you guys are killing me! I have only late in life (40's) discovered the joys of good beer - love the dark stuff. Live in a dry county, have to ride 40 miles to even get Guiness Extra Stout - which I'm sitting here getting buzzed on now. Have a friend from Il up near WI that brings me some good stuff on occasion, but it's not near often enough.
Been wanting to try a Dopplebock, but good luck finding anything like that around here frown
You'll enjoy following teal's posts then. He's pretty into making of all manner of beers. His man cave is to brewing, what mine is to reloading, the guy has some serious 'quipment.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by Mako25
Thirty years ago I dank beer to get drunk -

is there something else?

grin
Posted By: Pugs Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
You'll enjoy following teal's posts then. He's pretty into making of all manner of beers. His man cave is to brewing, what mine is to reloading, the guy has some serious 'quipment.

Indeed. I used to brew a bunch and really got out of it after I moved from the Pac NW to Md but it's really a hobby I could get into again.

Look forward to buying any Campfire member that stops by any number of these of their choice. http://fordhambrewing.com/our-brews/ they also have an Oyster Stout in the fall that is stunning and in season I'll be happy to guide for trout on the Middle Fork of the Patuxent which runs right next to one of their pubs http://www.ramsheadtavern.com/savage/ in an old denim and canvas mill.
Posted By: walt501 Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by northern_dave

grumble....

I'm right there with you Dave! Been drinking Molson Canadian - mainly while in Canada - since the late 1960's when it was the most popular brew. Everyone here in NW Ontario has long since switch to Labatt Blue. It's cheaper than Molson, but I'll never switch! Drinking a Molson while sitting in the old cabin watching the sun set out the screen door is just about as good as everyday life gets. If you listen carefully, you might be able to hear me pop the cap off another bottle of Molson from where you're located. smile
I'm under orders to do a Razberry Wheat next. I do think I'm gonna crank up a Buffalo Sweat tho - put it in a pin (small Firkin) and enjoy it on cask.

Also starting to play with the idea of building my own kayak so that might kill some brewing time.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Thirty years ago I dank beer to get drunk -

is there something else?

grin

It makes you sing and dance better.....Duh........ smile
Posted By: Brad Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by teal
I
Also starting to play with the idea of building my own kayak so that might kill some brewing time.

On my agenda

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...uck-10-light-recreational-kayak-kit.html

Think it's a great project for out at camp.
Well, if I'm in the east, I'll let you buy - but, if you come to Texas, the beer's on me. I don't know all that much 'bout 'em, but have the elbow-bend, then swallow routine down cold.

Look forward to buying any Campfire member that stops by any number of these of their choice. http://fordhambrewing.com/our-brews/ they also have an Oyster Stout in the fall that is stunning and in season I'll be happy to guide for trout on the Middle Fork of the Patuxent which runs right next to one of their pubs http://www.ramsheadtavern.com/savage/ in an old denim and canvas mill.
Well, if I'm in the east, I'll let you buy - but, if you come to Texas, the beer's on me. I don't know all that much 'bout 'em, but have the elbow-bend, then swallow routine down cold.
\

Be a pleasure. I also have a need to catch some big redfish and a gator trout or two so a deal might be made. Perhaps we can just have Leighton cook for us?
Originally Posted by Pugs
I

On my agenda

I'm looking at the Chesapeake 17 myself from them. (The Pocketship interests me a TON but not now) I also really like the Peeler with a 15hp.

Chesapeake 17

My boss currently has something like 7 boats and built his own Guillemot - he's a damned enabler.

I'm looking at the Chesapeake 17 myself from them. (The Pocketship interests me a TON but not now) I also really like the Peeler with a 15hp.

Chesapeake 17

My boss currently has something like 7 boats and built his own Guillemot - he's a damned enabler.

That's nice too. Their showroom is a block from the Audi dealership in Annapolis and their website does not do credit their boats when you see them in person.
What I'm trying to do is talk the boss into building one more and I'll help him. That way I can learn on his boat....

I'm very fortunate to be just a few hours from Hiawatha National Forest and the incredible amount of remote water up there. Want something me and the girlfriend can take, paddle and camp.
Be a pleasure. I also have a need to catch some big redfish and a gator trout or two so a deal might be made. Perhaps we can just have Leighton cook for us?

That works!

LT, stx, and KG can put a feed on!

I'm tellin' ya, it was near criminal what came off those grills, and boiling pots on Padre. The fishin' happened to be so-so (at best) that particular outing, but I'll tell ya what, I didn't care.

That is how topshelf the folks are - just amazing.

That works!

LT, stx, and KG can put a feed on!

I'm tellin' ya, it was near criminal what came off those grills, and boiling pots on Padre. The fishin' happened to be so-so (at best) that particular outing, but I'll tell ya what, I didn't care.

That is how topshelf the folks are - just amazing.

Having hunted pigs and fed off of LT a few times I gotta say you guys making the pig hunt next March is critical.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Not cheap, but my favorite beer in the world is the white ale. Unreal good.

www.myowlbarn.com/2011/02/hitachino-nest-owl-beer.html
Posted By: ironbender Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
I'm under orders to do a Razberry Wheat next.

You can save a lot of time and just run to 7-11 and get some wine coolers. wink
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by walt501

grumble....

Been drinking Molson Canadian since the late 1960's when it was the most popular brew. Drinking a Molson while sitting in the old cabin watching the sun set out the screen door is just about as good as everyday life gets. If you listen carefully, you might be able to hear me pop the cap off another bottle of Molson from where you're located. smile

Molson Canadian and their ales have been part of our family's life at our place in Ontario since the 1950's. I remember as a little kid making a beer run for my grandfather and uncle while they were cleaning fish. I enjoy both Molson and LeBatts, and have been known to buy a case of Brador or Extra Stock every once in a while.

You're spot on with watching the sun set in Canada, sitting in an old handmade rocker with a Molson out on the screened porch. It's one of the things I enjoy most.
Posted By: moore Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Miller lite!
Posted By: mathman Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by moore
Miller lite!

If you need to douche a sick horse.
Thirty years ago I dank beer to get drunk - wasn't too fussy 'bout brands, and I don't believe lite (or lights) were even around.

This got my curiosity up. Found this:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Miller Lite was essentially the first mainstream light beer. After its first inception as "Gablinger's Diet Beer," which was created in 1967 by Joseph L. Owades, a biochemist working for New York's Rheingold Brewery,[2] the recipe was given (by the inventor of the light beer process) to one of Miller's competing breweries, Chicago's Meister Brau, which came out with the Meister Brau "Lite" brand in the late 1960s. When Miller acquired Meister Brau's labels the recipe was reformulated and relaunched as "Lite Beer from Miller" (which was its official name until the mid 80s) in the test markets of Springfield, IL, Knoxville, TN and San Diego, CA in 1973, and heavily marketed using masculine pro sports players and other macho figures of the day in an effort to sell to the key beer-drinking male demographic. Miller's approach worked where the two previous light beers had failed, and Miller's early production totals of 12.8 million barrels quickly increased to 24.2 million barrels by 1977 as Miller rose to 2nd place in the American brewing marketplace. Other brewers responded, especially Anheuser-Busch with its heavily advertised Bud Light in 1982, which eventually overtook Lite in 1994. In 1992 light beer became the biggest domestic beer in America.

Haven't we suffered long enough? smile
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by moore
Miller lite!

If you need to douche a sick horse.

At least someone finally found a use for that stuff.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
It's all about the nitrogen.....
I sent some to a lab one time wondering what exactly is in that beer.

The lab report came back stating...........

my horse has diabetes!
Posted By: rugerrunner Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
I love the beer threads, Just had my first Velvet Rooster this evening, would glady enjoy again. Had a Buffalo Sweat a while back and that was good too. I gotta tell you for Ales if it says Stone Brewing on the label, shut up and drink it, you won't regret it a bit. Gotta love anything that says Alaskan onit too. My all time fav is Alakan White, can't get it in Kansas, sucks to be me, but I buy alot when I go back to Colorado for visits. Alaskan Summer is on my list and Alaskan IPA is one of the best/smoothest IPA's you will ever try. I just love trying anything from a small micro brewery, you never know what you are going to get, but you can rest assured that the guy putting it in the bottle/can is proud of it and wants to share. RustyL
[quote=rugerrunner] I gotta tell you for Ales if it says Stone Brewing on the label, shut up and drink it, you won't regret it a bit. [quote]

Someone might if they're not really into hops.
I grant you the hops part. Every Stone's I've tried has plenty. I guess thats an aquired taste thing. RustyL
Do you like Boulevard?
Teal, you ever try any of these? I've only had the red bottle, but it's very good.

[Linked Image]
Boulevard has some good stuff too. We can get their Wheat on tap around here, Their Pale Ale is fine, Tank Seven is better
I generally like well hopped beer, but a couple of the Stone brews are too much except for occasional consumption in moderate quantity. That's coming from a guy whose staples include Victory Hop Devil and Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.
Their PA and Hefe were our faves when I had to live in KS.
Lagunitas, Little Sumpin is pretty good too. Sierra Torpedo, Victory Golden Monkey is a Fav, Storm King is right up there
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Lagunitas IPA is a fine beer..
Posted By: jryoung Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Teal, you ever try any of these? I've only had the red bottle, but it's very good.

[Linked Image]

Chimay Blue was my longstanding favorite, until I found my friend that I posted above. I love it when Chimay 1500ml bottles come out around Christmas, I always grab a few.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
I love these threads. The only thing that gets me though is theres no way Ill ever get to try most of the beers shown in this thread!
Originally Posted by levrluvr

Molson Canadian and their ales have been part of our family's life at our place in Ontario since the 1950's.

Mt. Sutton/Mt. Saint Anne in QC, 1984. Six pack of Brador Dark for breakfast and ski down to the lift. Hit a spruce about 20' up jumping off a headwall at speed, wearing camouflage jumpsuit. Destroyed a set of K2s first day I ran them. Picked up by a bombshell French Canadian of 31. Next day, after some more BDs, I leaned with all my weight on my hand on an electric stove. Unfortunately for me the thing was on and glowing bright orange when I did that. I had four 3rd degree semicircles on my palm. Had the scar for maybe 5 years. The next year I turned 16. Ugh. Good times, but ugh.

Originally Posted by Pugs
I

On my agenda

A neighbor builds and runs his own 'yaks. They're truly a thing of beauty. The guy is obviously very talented and experienced with building them I'll ask for some casual thoughts on design, and general pluses and minuses and pass them on. Any idea what kind of water you'd be using it in?

I've only used the composites in freshwater bodies, but they're such neat rigs, and for some applications, nothing can touch a 'yak, as far as paddle-powered jobbies go.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
All -

When I comes to beers - I prefer stouts and belgians. Not a hop head.

Therefore I had to share. Came across Buffalo Sweat by Tallgrass Brewing out of Manhatten KS. I'm not affiliated with them in any way but believe is a great beer.

Hands down, the best stout I've come across in a VERY long time. It's an Oatmeal Cream Stout.

Prefer it over Left Hand's Milk Stout, over Guinness and even Guinness Foreign Extra.

I've been drinking it over my homebrew - that good. Of course now exact kits are available from Northern Brewer to make your own if you aren't in Tallgrass' distro. They're not clones - they are the real deal, put together in partnership with Tallgrass. It's essentially their recipie - scaled down for 5 gallons at a time.

[Linked Image]

Good to know.. I'll see if I can find some around here.. Stouts and Porters are some REALLY good stuff, usually..

Originally Posted by ironbender
I sent some to a lab one time wondering what exactly is in that beer.

The lab report came back stating...........my horse has diabetes!
Hmmm.. Grain Belt?
Posted By: levrluvr Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by levrluvr

Molson Canadian and their ales have been part of our family's life at our place in Ontario since the 1950's.

Mt. Sutton/Mt. Saint Anne in QC, 1984. Six pack of Brador Dark for breakfast and ski down to the lift. Hit a spruce about 20' up jumping off a headwall at speed, wearing camouflage jumpsuit. Destroyed a set of K2s first day I ran them. Picked up by a bombshell French Canadian of 31. Next day, after some more BDs, I leaned with all my weight on my hand on an electric stove. Unfortunately for me the thing was on and glowing bright orange when I did that. I had four 3rd degree semicircles on my palm. Had the scar for maybe 5 years. The next year I turned 16. Ugh. Good times, but ugh.

kg- you obviously missed the fine print on the Brador label stating "not recommended for breakfast" grin
I've actually forgotten how to start a '57 Evinrude after tangling with that stuff.
Try LeBatt's Extra Stock- it's got about the same taste, and kick.

It seems I have brewery just 20 minutes from the farm we bought here in Wisconsin, but I've yet to peruse the menu or take the tour. New Glarus Brewery in New Glarus, WI; supposedly makes some fine stuff. Road trip, soon.....
Jim
Posted By: djs Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Here are two of my favorities:

Left hand Brewing Co. - "Smokejumper" (a smoked porter)

Sam Adams Utopius - goes for about $300 a bottle and is very difficult to get. We used it to celebrate our granddaughter's birth - @5% alcohol!!! see: http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=f2f5d102-82aa-4971-ba34-452dc736573c
Posted By: tipmover Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
The Black IPA's seem to be a current trend among a few microbreweries lately.
They can be a hit or miss IMO..balancing the hops with the black patent character is where they can get off balance.
Alaskan Brewing Co. makes a good version that isn't too over the top.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
I thought this stuff was surprisingly delicious....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
i like cold beer....or free
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Lagunitas IPA is a fine beer..

Yep, but their regular Pale is easier going while still being well hopped. That makes for a better session beer.
Posted By: Poodleshooter Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Very cool to see a beer thread for malty beers!
Some of my favorites:

Belgian trappist ales-
Trappiste Rochefort 10
One of the best Belgian Quads
[Linked Image]

Also Kasteelbeer Donker or Triple are great Belgians.

Doppelbocks-
Sam Adam's Imperial Doppelbock is good, as is the old Spaten Optimator and Ayinger's Celebrator.

Rauchbiers-
Schlenkerla Marzen and Urbock

Posted By: bucktales Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter

Rauchbiers-
Schlenkerla Marzen and Urbock

+1 Schlenkerla!
In my past life, I was a frequent visitor to Bamberg where I always made it a point to visit their brewery and have a few "right from the well".
BTW, "Schlenkerla" in Frankonian dialect means "Staggering Man".

Rauchbier ain't for everyone. Takes a bit to get used to.
Posted By: djs Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Originally Posted by atvalaska

If it's free, I'll drink aything. If I'm buying, I want good beer.
I like smoky scotch but not smoky beer. crazy
Posted By: JPro Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
Dang, the beers you guys show are more like meals in a bottle. How can you possibly drink 10 of them while filling up deer feeders?
Originally Posted by JPro
Dang, the beers you guys show are more like meals in a bottle. How can you possibly drink 10 of them while filling up deer feeders?

Practice, practice, practice. grin

That's what Gatorade is for. I drink real beer when I want to enjoy beer.
Posted By: JPro Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12
I know, I know. I like a real beer sometimes too. But I do drink "near bear" when working outside (and filling up feeders). LOL....
I can't stand "lawnmower beer" so I don't punish myself by drinking it while working on stuff.
This thread reminds me of my favorite beer, Long Trail Ale from Bridgewater Corners, VT. You can't get it in California. It's mostly IPAs and Belgians out here, which I am not a fan of.

There are some notable exceptions to that though, like Anchorsteam, and Deschutes Brewing Black Butte Porter. That one is dee-lish. Red Trolley Ale is also really good.

Though sometimes, I just want to get drunk, and when that happens I tend to mix Budweiser and Jack Daniels.
I stuck a bottle of this Old World Pale Ale from Scotland in the fridge for later

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog-old-world-india-pale-ale/159833/

[Linked Image]

Tried them - they're rather common around here so I've never gone back to them. Prob should one of these days.
Posted By: Poodleshooter Re: Beer recommendation - 06/22/12

You can always water one of these beers down with about 20 gallons of seltzer water. Then it tastes just like Coors. For that matter, you can probably skip adding the European beer. Just substitute the seltzer water for Coors. They taste the same.

Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by atvalaska

If it's free, I'll drink aything. If I'm buying, I want good beer.

I pass on curr's light. I'd rather have nothing.
Posted By: Teal Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
Trying a La Fin Du Monde tonight. Pert good.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12

Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout tonight.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout tonight.

RIS from Leinies might be next...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
Root
Posted By: mathman Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
Tonight it's Full Sail IPA.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
Me and all the Mescins in W TX are having a Bud Light Lime this eve.
Yech! grin
Could be worse - could be Clamato....
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
DogfishHead 90 Minute IPA = tasty tasty!!!!
Ever had the 120?
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
Trying a La Fin Du Monde tonight. Pert good.

Maudite is another made by that brewery that is very good.
What happens when you mix Full Sail IPA with Famous Grouse and Johnnie Red?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? Hint: it's NOT 3.

To answer your question, you need to be with a drunken Scotsman on a sloop while shooting birds. And I'll never tell.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12
Originally Posted by tipmover
The Black IPA's seem to be a current trend among a few microbreweries lately.
They can be a hit or miss IMO..balancing the hops with the black patent character is where they can get off balance.
Alaskan Brewing Co. makes a good version that isn't too over the top.

Speaking of black beer, I really like Sierra Nevada Stout. There are maltier stouts, and there are hoppier beers, but few are better balanced than this. It is extremely drinkable and delicious, and only the 4 basic ingredients I believe. Delicious dark malty base that is well hopped - at least what I call well hopped (I know some guys are really jaded in the hop-head department grin ). I like hops but some of that hoppy stuff tastes more like unripened grapefruit mixed with turpentine. If that's what you are looking for, don't drink this beer. But if you like to take a sip and say "Mmm that's delicious!" then try this one:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Beer recommendation - 06/23/12

JPro,

To your advantage, there are a few "real" beers that are good for lawnmower duty. Founder's All Day IPA is a good one. It's billed as a "session beer" with 4.7% ABV and 42 IBU. It leans toward the hoppy side but is very drinkable, even quaffable (what beer isn't? grin ). One might consider it "light" compared to the other beers produced by Founders Brewery, but it is definitely real beer compared to But Light, Miller Latte, and Coops. I hope you can find it where you are and try it:

http://foundersbrewing.com/the-lineup/all-day-ipa

[Linked Image]

© 24hourcampfire