Home
Posted By: jorgeI ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Couldn't help myself was at Gander picking up another post-Obama AR and this was on the "internet" shelf:
[img]http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...fire-Rifle&i=UF101821472&uf=true[/img]

Made in 1915, 303 Brit caliber. I'm going to send it to Turnbull for restoration. I had so much fun with my jap 405 and it shoots so well, might as well go for the real thing and I love the caliber. Never seen one in 303 before
Posted By: Violator22 Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Nice, jealous here!
Nice. I have the Browning replica of that rifle in .30-06. Identical pattern. Never been crazy about the loading system, though.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
It's due in on Wednesday so I'll take better pics then. Condition was described as "good" so I'll see how far I need to go in the restoration. It first goes to the range though!
Posted By: Violator22 Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Nice, the 1895's are ONLY Winchester Lever action that I like.
Yes the loading system is cumbersome but hell it holds four down. I love my two Jap ones. One I installed a period correct recoil pad, Williams peep and barrel-band swivel. The other is a TR Safari Commemorative that I left as is. Both hold 2"groups at 100 all day long with either my loads with TSXs, North Forks or Hornady factory stuff.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
They are pretty cool, like all the Winchesters of that era.

One of these days I keep meaning to grab a Deluxe Model 71, which has always been one of my favorites.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
They were, as you might guess, really popular in Australia and Canada, but the .303 is kinda hard to find here. You got lucky....
Yes the 71 is another that I would like to own. It's on my list to buy soon/
Very nice Jorge,.will be expecting pics upon its return.

Would love to have one in 7.62x54R myself...
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
They were, as you might guess, really popular in Australia and Canada, but the .303 is kinda hard to find here. You got lucky....

Well, to b dertmined once I have it in my hands and see. I've bught from Gander before and their descriptions are very accurate. If she shoots I'll get her refurbished. Doug Turnbull does one hell of a job. The older I get, the more I like these old rifles.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Always wanted an 1895
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
They are pretty cool, like all the Winchesters of that era.

One of these days I keep meaning to grab a Deluxe Model 71, which has always been one of my favorites.
Me too. I've had the Browning replica of the standard rifle version of the 71 (.348 Win) for about twenty years. Amazingly accurate rifle with a set of Lyman receiver peeps installed. Right around MOA from a bench, which has always amazed me from a non-scoped rifle of that design.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

In military pattern?

I'll post some good pics once I get it on Wednesday (assuming I'm not so depressed I'm in a dark room with a Luger and one round smile ) so we can see what she really looks like, then eventually after Turnbull gets done with it.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I'll post some good pics once I get it on Wednesday (assuming I'm not so depressed I'm in a dark room with a Luger and one round smile ) so we can see what she really looks like, then eventually after Turnbull gets done with it.

What a waste that would be...and at least take out a couple libs first.

Looking forward to pictures of the rifle.
Posted By: hatari Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Sweet! Looks to be in great shape. Nice addition to the collection. .303 is a fun round to shoot and load for. It does not seem to be picky about powders and loads as some others.
Posted By: hemiallen Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
I had the chance to go visit Turnbulls earlier this year, and after I was told they had no more calenders to buy I asked if I could "hang out" and look over their inventory. After walking around the small room I realized one of the guys was still there, so I struck up a conversation after asking to handle one of the really nice guns on the wall ( for sale). We started talking about the game heads, and after the gentleman explaining the second heads Hunting story I hesitated and stated, I'll be your first name is Doug, he smiled and said, yes sir. One of the big bull Elk mounts had a very interesting story behind it, and when I departed to drive back north to the hotel I realized this was a very good decision to drive down there.

I did stop at Benjamin's store on the way home ( maybe 2 miles away), and was dissapointed they had no provisions to see or handle any of their firearms, but the display of old guns on the walls was interesting .

Turnbull's does some really nice restorations

Allen
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
uber-cool piece.....doesn't look like it really needs much except maybe a little steam work on that stock gouge, I'd be tempted to hunt it as is. what you going to have Turnbull do....full restore to new?
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Nice, the 1895's are ONLY Winchester Lever action that I like.

How can you not like the 71's or 64's? Got dropped on your head as a kid?

Yes the 71 is another that I would like to own. It's on my list to buy soon/

Likewise, although I do have a browning 71 carbine I picked up on GB. These are pics from the auction listing.

Attached picture Browning 71 Carbine Grade I - Pic 1.jpg
Attached picture Browning 71 Carbine Grade I - Pic 3.jpg
Posted By: ipopum Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
303 and the 30 Govt which I have in the 95 are peas in a pod. I had mine out and shot it thurs. nite. Plan to use it for deer this year.
Posted By: jpb Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/05/12
Couldn't help myself was at Gander picking up another post-Obama AR and this was on the "internet" shelf:
[img]http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...fire-Rifle&i=UF101821472&uf=true[/img]

Made in 1915, 303 Brit caliber. I'm going to send it to Turnbull for restoration. I had so much fun with my jap 405 and it shoots so well, might as well go for the real thing and I love the caliber. Never seen one in 303 before

Sweet!

Long sucker -- a long receiver and a 27.5 inch barrel. Bet it would "hang" nicely when shooting standing though.

John

to deerwacker and to jorge: you like 1895 and 71; pictures alreary shown but always good to remind. Note ve have an original 71, deluxe rifle to sell...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All these not to sell...And there're some more...

BR from frog's land

Dom
Posted By: Sycamore Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12

They say that was the most common chambering, but most (all?) were shipped overseas to the Tsar...

The only one I've ever seen was in a museum on Buda hill, a brilliant display of the rifles and pistols used by each combatant nation in WWI.

Sycamore
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
uber-cool piece.....doesn't look like it really needs much except maybe a little steam work on that stock gouge, I'd be tempted to hunt it as is. what you going to have Turnbull do....full restore to new?

I'll see once I get it in my hands Steve, full restoration is pricey but it seems I'm liking the "retro" thing with rifles and hunting more are more. I had a great time with the 405 in Texas a few weeks ago and if I can put them in a 2" circle at 100 yds with no problem, it's fun to close the range on critters before pulling the trigger. I'm hoping it's going to be my "election celebration" piece! smile

Jeff, if you have any loads, pass them on! jorge
Nice rifles Frog! what calibers?
Jorge, in case Ingwe forgot to say it : You SUCK grin

I look forward to seeing the pictures on Wednesday.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I'll see once I get it in my hands Steve, full restoration is pricey but it seems I'm liking the "retro" thing with rifles and hunting more are more. I had a great time with the 405 in Texas a few weeks ago and if I can put them in a 2" circle at 100 yds with no problem, it's fun to close the range on critters before pulling the trigger. I'm hoping it's going to be my "election celebration" piece! smile

Jeff, if you have any loads, pass them on! jorge
I agree with Steve. It looks like a nice, honest piece, as-is. Once the restoration is done, it's done. It'll never be original again.
Yeah but it will be a Turnbull restoration Mark, big difference. Most of the historical pieces they have redone, maintain their value. Regardless, at this stage in my life it's not somthing I'm looking to seel but rather pass on.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
grinBetween Sharps Rifles and 95 Winchesters,yer really going to Hell wid yerself there Brotha! grin
Posted By: Pugs Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
Yeah but it will be a Turnbull restoration Mark, big difference. Most of the historical pieces they have redone, maintain their value. Regardless, at this stage in my life it's not somthing I'm looking to seel but rather pass on.

I just passed an old (but damn near new looking) Remington 100 Lightweight 20 to my nephew so if you're looking to pass it on to someone sooner rather than later I have a suggestion. grin
Posted By: Mako25 Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
I'm tellin' ya - man's on a roll!
Don't you know it, even the double hasn't seen the light of day in over in two months. Really looking forward to this 95 in 303 for a hunting rig. BTW, I have the Sharps pretty well dialed in with that new 500gr PP Bill told me to get.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
jorgeI;
Thanks for putting up the photos of your new 95, it actually looks in pretty good condition.

From what I can glean talking to some of the hunters who grew up here and from looking at old hunting photos, the 95 was one of "the" rifles to have in our part of BC.

I'd say that the .30-40 was the most common I've run across, with the .303 and '06 being about equal and coming in 2nd, followed by the older rounds in no particular order.

As others have mentioned, I've seen very few 7.62 Russian 95's in a lifetime of being a gun guy - perhaps 2 is all I can recall.

Lastly, depending upon your particular rifle and as ingwe has mentioned to me as well, some .303 rifles will shoot .308" bullets - such as Partitions - amazingly well. Food for thought anyway in case you're not pleased with the results from the somewhat limited selection of .311" projectiles out there.

I do look forward to seeing it after the Turnbull crew has done their magic. While I've yet to see one of theirs in the flesh, the photos of the work they do are typically jaw dropping to me.

Thanks again, all the best to you and yours sir and good luck on your hunts and rifle project.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: GunGeek Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
Congrats my friend...The '95 is such a cool rifle, and a .303 just ups the cool factor. I've always lusted after a military carbine in .303...one of these days man, one of these days.
Thanks to all for the compliments. I've been poring over my Winchester book, and there is some stuff on the 95 but unlike the 70s details are lacking. This is the first 303 I've ever seen and according to the book they sold well, mostly in Canada and that makes sense. This rifle was at the Gander Mtn store in Minnessota. Manufacture date of 1915.
jorge, you'd be nuts to let a restorer lay their hands on a nice old piece like that. Old pieces like that have character. Making it look like it just shipped from the factory just erases all that. Don't do it. It's really a crime.

PS Do you think I should ship off my old Winchester Model 1890 (3rd Series) to Turnbull for a full restoration?

[Linked Image]
From your picture it does not look like it needs it. As far as restoration goes, there's restoration and there's restoration by experts. It happens to paintings by the Masters, vehicles, etc. If done RIGHT it does not detract from the value and in most cases it adds to it.
From your picture it does not look like it needs it.
Neither does your 1895. Every mark on it gives it added value, IMO.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
jorgeI;
If I can be indulged, I'll share just one 95 user's story with you from here in BC - to get your "interest up" in the rifle so to speak. wink

One of my hunting mentors was my buddy's late grandfather Jake, a small Mennonite man who grew up on a farm in the Peace River area near Fort St. John during the depression. His rifle of choice was a 95 in .30-40 that had less than no finish left on it, the wood resembling a pole fence rail in need of replacement.

Anyway sir, with this rifle he'd killed by actual count somewhere north of 50 moose including a BC book bull - the palms on it were just crazy big. He also told me that he'd taken a couple sheep and mountain caribou with it.

I asked about deer and he said that he had no way of knowing as he used to shoot them for his family and the neighbors who were in need as well in the '30's.

Jake had a particular hatred for bears though as they would wreck his family garden - in a time when the garden might mean them either making the winter or not. Somehow Jorge, in the fog of my memory I can't recall just how many grizzly bears Jake had killed with that 95, but I do recall thinking I'd have to have taken off my boots to count that high.

Then I asked him about black bears, whereupon he set down his coffee, looked me in the eye and replied, "Nobody would believe me if I told them Dwayne, so I just don't tell anyone a number"

He picked up his coffee again and before taking a sip muttered to nobody in particular, "Some weeks I shot a lot of them..." whistle

Anyway sir, hopefully you enjoyed the 95 story this election morning. Since my time with Jake, every 95 I pick up I wish it could talk to me - I'd bet that some like Jake's could keep me spellbound for days.

All the best to you and yours again.

Regards,
Dwayne
Originally Posted by Pugs

I just passed an old (but damn near new looking) Remington 100 Lightweight 20 to my nephew so if you're looking to pass it on to someone sooner rather than later I have a suggestion. grin

You got it. Seriously, but here's what you're up against, my Grandparents checked out at 101, 98, 96 and 97 respectively. My dad's 92 and still kicks as and my mom's 87 and can kick anyone's ass... smile

You got it. Seriously...
What about me? What are you going to pass on to me, should you be plannin' on going any time soon? grin
See the post above....
Posted By: BrentD Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
Another nice stunt hunting rifle. smile

Hi Jorge,

Got one 405, two in fact, one is at the gunshop to be restored, one 30-40 and 303 carbine ( you militaty calibers forbiden in frog's land wink ang one original russian cotract in 7,62x54R (military too)with original clip guide.
Two 71 in 348 one in .50Ak.

That's all for the moment....
Hope to find a 35Winchester 1895....

Love lever guns!

Dom
Posted By: hatari Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12

You got it. Seriously, but here's what you're up against, my Grandparents checked out at 101, 98, 96 and 97 respectively. My dad's 92 and still kicks as and my mom's 87 and can kick anyone's ass... smile

Your kids are screwed if they are holding their breath for you to pass them along. Hope they have their own stash going by now. Would you make the twins quick draw for first pick?
Originally Posted by BrentD
Another nice stunt hunting rifle. smile

No, that would be a POS 45/70 on Cape Buffalo or elephant. A 303 Brit with iron sights has probably killed more African Plains Game than all other calibers combined. Do you ALWAYS have to be such an rectal orifice? (rhetorical question)...
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/06/12
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Nice, jealous here!

That's an understatement!

Jorge, that's a find! Please post some pics after Turnbull's gets finished with it. I am not quite envious enough yet. grin

Ed

To all the campers here:

Sorry for my former post full of errors and badly writen: was trying my new smart phone. No good with bratwurst sausage like fingers...
Jorge would be happy to pay you a beer or two or bourbon if you come to the Shot Show, will be in Sin City from 12 to 18.
Could talk about lever and french big bore....

All the best to campers (Reps and Dems together)despite the results...

The frog

Posted By: jorgeI Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/08/12
Thanks for the invte Frog, but my schedule precludes that for now. Anyhow, I took delivery of the rifle yesterday and it looks better in real life than the pictures. I have it soaking in Wipeout right now but I did manage to take some pictures yesterday. The Bluing is over 95% with only a few wear marks at the hinges. The only bad spot on the wood is on the right side aft near the buttstock but it can be fixed. The metal buttplate looks brand new! and the left side of the stock is close to perfect:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Told ya.

I hope this means you won't let anyone screw with it.
I would hardly call Turnbull restorations as "screwing" with it. Go to their website and see what they have done with bona-fide restorations. I'm still cleaning however many years of crap in the barrel. Got all the copper out as well as the powder fouling, now I'm dealing with the hardest part, carbon. LOTS of it. Range day tomorrow.
Posted By: boltman Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/08/12
That's one that I would shoot but would keep the finish original. I look forward to better pictures but for me, the originality of the finish is a beautiful aspect of this rifle.
Thanks for the invte Frog, but my schedule precludes that for now. Anyhow, I took delivery of the rifle yesterday and it looks better in real life than the pictures. I have it soaking in Wipeout right now but I did manage to take some pictures yesterday. The Bluing is over 95% with only a few wear marks at the hinges. The only bad spot on the wood is on the right side aft near the buttstock but it can be fixed. The metal buttplate looks brand new! and the left side of the stock is close to perfect:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is one grand old rifle. cool cool
Check out the cool brass front sight!

[Linked Image]
That is one great looking and interesting rifle. I bet it will be loads of fun.

Hope you get to put a lot of lead down range and have some great hunts with it.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/09/12
I know this thread seems trivial in light of our recent national catastrophe, but well, it's fun for me. Just returned from the range. Used three types of ammo, factory 150 Norma, 174gr FMJ Sellier & Bellot and Remington 180gr SPCL. Range fifty yards. Initial group is at upper left with subsequent corrections using a brass hammer to drift. Elevation is maxed out low and center of bull hits achieved using "lollypop" method holding at the tip of the vertical lower stadia. Not bad for a 97 year old piece. Oh yeah, the pressure's off as the gun has probably been reblued, so off to Turnbull it goes:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RDW Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/09/12
I know this thread seems trivial in light of our recent national catastrophe, but well, it's fun for me. Just returned from the range. Used three types of ammo, factory 150 Norma, 174gr FMJ Sellier & Bellot and Remington 180gr SPCL. Range fifty yards. Initial group is at upper left with subsequent corrections using a brass hammer to drift. Elevation is maxed out low and center of bull hits achieved using "lollypop" method holding at the tip of the vertical lower stadia. Not bad for a 97 year old piece. Oh yeah, the pressure's off as the gun has probably been reblued, so off to Turnbull it goes:

[Linked Image]

For a guy 97 years old, you are one bad sum'bitch shooting like that with open sights!
Posted By: efw Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/10/12
Yeah that pretty much confirms it, Jorge... you SUCK!

What a SWEET rifle! I love it!

While I wouldn't consider a Turnbull restoration to be "screwing" with it at all, it sure doesn't look to me like that rifle needs restoration, either, weird brown residue notwithstanding.

Great find Jorge. You obviously have great taste in rifles.

Back in '11 we had a 'fire get together of Michigan-area members and 405WCF brought his 1895 in his namesake cartridge. There were some real elephant guns there... one on par with a 458 Lot, but NOTHING kicked like that 1895 in 405 WCF. The first shot brought my right thumb squarely into my nose, but the second I leared to roll with it. The steel plate and massive drop for open sights threw me for a loop. Amazingly high cool factor though; great lion medicine for sure!

Thanks for sharing Jorge and congrats on the find.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/10/12
What a sweet rifle! Glad you are sending it to Turnbull, they are simply the best.

This thread did nothing but remind me how much a want a model 71! Writing Frog, you have a wonderful group of lever actions there!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/10/12
Thanks again guys. On my 405s one I had a period correct Winchester buttpad installed and it really made a difference, especially in the trigger pull. My TR Safari I won't mess with, but Galazan's has a great leather wrap around pad that looks nice and also helps. Still, I never found the 405 to be particularly nasty. This 303 even with the curved still buttplate is a joy to shoot. I'm going to see the Turnbull folks at DSC and discuss options with them there. j
jorgeI,

Congrats and enjoy!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: ANOTHER 1895 WINCHESTER - 11/11/12
Another update lads, just returned from the range at both 50 and 100 yards and I have to shorten that front sight. The rear is fully depressed, but it still shoots way hay ~6"high@ 100. It's a beautifully machined solid copper blade, so I'll add that to the Trurnbull "to do" list.
© 24hourcampfire