Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yeah but it will be a Turnbull restoration Mark, big difference. Most of the historical pieces they have redone, maintain their value. Regardless, at this stage in my life it's not somthing I'm looking to seel but rather pass on.

I just passed an old (but damn near new looking) Remington 100 Lightweight 20 to my nephew so if you're looking to pass it on to someone sooner rather than later I have a suggestion. grin

You got it. Seriously, but here's what you're up against, my Grandparents checked out at 101, 98, 96 and 97 respectively. My dad's 92 and still kicks as and my mom's 87 and can kick anyone's ass... smile

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/06/12.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yeah but it will be a Turnbull restoration Mark, big difference. Most of the historical pieces they have redone, maintain their value. Regardless, at this stage in my life it's not somthing I'm looking to seel but rather pass on.

I just passed an old (but damn near new looking) Remington 100 Lightweight 20 to my nephew so if you're looking to pass it on to someone sooner rather than later I have a suggestion. grin

You got it. Seriously...
What about me? What are you going to pass on to me, should you be plannin' on going any time soon? grin

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
See the post above....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Another nice stunt hunting rifle. smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Hi Jorge,

Got one 405, two in fact, one is at the gunshop to be restored, one 30-40 and 303 carbine ( you militaty calibers forbiden in frog's land wink ang one original russian cotract in 7,62x54R (military too)with original clip guide.
Two 71 in 348 one in .50Ak.

That's all for the moment....
Hope to find a 35Winchester 1895....

Love lever guns!

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You got it. Seriously, but here's what you're up against, my Grandparents checked out at 101, 98, 96 and 97 respectively. My dad's 92 and still kicks as and my mom's 87 and can kick anyone's ass... smile

Your kids are screwed if they are holding their breath for you to pass them along. Hope they have their own stash going by now. Would you make the twins quick draw for first pick?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BrentD
Another nice stunt hunting rifle. smile

No, that would be a POS 45/70 on Cape Buffalo or elephant. A 303 Brit with iron sights has probably killed more African Plains Game than all other calibers combined. Do you ALWAYS have to be such an rectal orifice? (rhetorical question)...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Nice, jealous here!

That's an understatement!

Jorge, that's a find! Please post some pics after Turnbull's gets finished with it. I am not quite envious enough yet. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

To all the campers here:

Sorry for my former post full of errors and badly writen: was trying my new smart phone. No good with bratwurst sausage like fingers...
Jorge would be happy to pay you a beer or two or bourbon if you come to the Shot Show, will be in Sin City from 12 to 18.
Could talk about lever and french big bore....

All the best to campers (Reps and Dems together)despite the results...

The frog

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the invte Frog, but my schedule precludes that for now. Anyhow, I took delivery of the rifle yesterday and it looks better in real life than the pictures. I have it soaking in Wipeout right now but I did manage to take some pictures yesterday. The Bluing is over 95% with only a few wear marks at the hinges. The only bad spot on the wood is on the right side aft near the buttstock but it can be fixed. The metal buttplate looks brand new! and the left side of the stock is close to perfect:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 11/08/12.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Told ya.

I hope this means you won't let anyone screw with it.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I would hardly call Turnbull restorations as "screwing" with it. Go to their website and see what they have done with bona-fide restorations. I'm still cleaning however many years of crap in the barrel. Got all the copper out as well as the powder fouling, now I'm dealing with the hardest part, carbon. LOTS of it. Range day tomorrow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That's one that I would shoot but would keep the finish original. I look forward to better pictures but for me, the originality of the finish is a beautiful aspect of this rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the invte Frog, but my schedule precludes that for now. Anyhow, I took delivery of the rifle yesterday and it looks better in real life than the pictures. I have it soaking in Wipeout right now but I did manage to take some pictures yesterday. The Bluing is over 95% with only a few wear marks at the hinges. The only bad spot on the wood is on the right side aft near the buttstock but it can be fixed. The metal buttplate looks brand new! and the left side of the stock is close to perfect:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is one grand old rifle. cool cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Check out the cool brass front sight!

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is one great looking and interesting rifle. I bet it will be loads of fun.

Hope you get to put a lot of lead down range and have some great hunts with it.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I know this thread seems trivial in light of our recent national catastrophe, but well, it's fun for me. Just returned from the range. Used three types of ammo, factory 150 Norma, 174gr FMJ Sellier & Bellot and Remington 180gr SPCL. Range fifty yards. Initial group is at upper left with subsequent corrections using a brass hammer to drift. Elevation is maxed out low and center of bull hits achieved using "lollypop" method holding at the tip of the vertical lower stadia. Not bad for a 97 year old piece. Oh yeah, the pressure's off as the gun has probably been reblued, so off to Turnbull it goes:

[Linked Image]

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know this thread seems trivial in light of our recent national catastrophe, but well, it's fun for me. Just returned from the range. Used three types of ammo, factory 150 Norma, 174gr FMJ Sellier & Bellot and Remington 180gr SPCL. Range fifty yards. Initial group is at upper left with subsequent corrections using a brass hammer to drift. Elevation is maxed out low and center of bull hits achieved using "lollypop" method holding at the tip of the vertical lower stadia. Not bad for a 97 year old piece. Oh yeah, the pressure's off as the gun has probably been reblued, so off to Turnbull it goes:

[Linked Image]

For a guy 97 years old, you are one bad sum'bitch shooting like that with open sights!

Dave

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah that pretty much confirms it, Jorge... you SUCK!

What a SWEET rifle! I love it!

While I wouldn't consider a Turnbull restoration to be "screwing" with it at all, it sure doesn't look to me like that rifle needs restoration, either, weird brown residue notwithstanding.

Great find Jorge. You obviously have great taste in rifles.

Back in '11 we had a 'fire get together of Michigan-area members and 405WCF brought his 1895 in his namesake cartridge. There were some real elephant guns there... one on par with a 458 Lot, but NOTHING kicked like that 1895 in 405 WCF. The first shot brought my right thumb squarely into my nose, but the second I leared to roll with it. The steel plate and massive drop for open sights threw me for a loop. Amazingly high cool factor though; great lion medicine for sure!

Thanks for sharing Jorge and congrats on the find.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a sweet rifle! Glad you are sending it to Turnbull, they are simply the best.

This thread did nothing but remind me how much a want a model 71! Writing Frog, you have a wonderful group of lever actions there!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.