Home
Like the title says. Alot. No drugs, no underlaying tension or bad schit. Good kid, smart, healthy. Hung the moon. grin

Curious, as I never did as a kid, but am dealing with it now. Lots of folks on here have or have had kids, and I figured maybe somebody on here has dealt with it. Curious as to what you did and why.

Thanks
my brother use to when we were kids.
I used to when I was a kid. I grew out of it.
Really kinda freaky. Acts like he's awake, and if you didn't know any better you wouldn't know. Except the little things. Leaving lights on, incoherent speech, it was kinda funny at first, but I'm wondering now if I need to do something to stop it. IF I can do anything to stop it.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Like the title says. Alot. No drugs, no underlaying tension or bad schit. Good kid, smart, healthy. Hung the moon. grin

Curious, as I never did as a kid, but am dealing with it now. Lots of folks on here have or have had kids, and I figured maybe somebody on here has dealt with it. Curious as to what you did and why.

Thanks
No, but I've Sleep Walked before.
Really kinda freaky. Acts like he's awake, and if you didn't know any better you wouldn't know. Except the little things. Leaving lights on, incoherent speech, it was kinda funny at first, but I'm wondering now if I need to do something to stop it. IF I can do anything to stop it.

My 20 year old son did it a couple times IIRC. No big deal as long as they don't get hurt. I wouldn't yell at them or scare them!

Originally Posted by bucktail

Same here. Parents had to put locks on the doors high enough I couldnt reach them. When it first started, I would unlock the doors and go outside. I remember waking up 1 time outside, mom and dad were at the door watching me, to make sure I didnt get in the road.
make sure you can lock the doors to keep him from getting out of the house. my brother ended up at the neighbors once.

Yes I have. And it is spooky. Really spooky. He'll talk to you like he's awake and carry on a conversation, but he's not looking at you at all.

We just put him back to bed. He seems to do it when he's overly tired, which doesn't make sense, but who knows.
Originally Posted by bucktail

ditto
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Yes I have. And it is spooky. Really spooky. He'll talk to you like he's awake and carry on a conversation, but he's not looking at you at all.

We just put him back to bed. He seems to do it when he's overly tired, which doesn't make sense, but who knows.

Yes! Exactly.
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

My 20 year old son did it a couple times IIRC. No big deal as long as they don't get hurt. I wouldn't yell at them or scare them!

Wife followed him around last night and he jumped when he turned around and saw her and almost took a swing. Would not end well for him, sleeping or not. Very out of character, as in would never dream of it in waking life.

Thanks
It's just another sleep disorder.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/5_steps_stopping_sleepwalker

My Grandma, God rest her soul, was one of those morbid old southern gals who thought nothing of scraing the shixt out of kids. I loved Grandma, but just sayin'...

She told this story about some family that lived on the edge of a cliff above some body of water. They had a son who would go out at night, strip down, and dive into the water and swim. The catch was, he didn't know how to swim. Evidently the dad had been observing this and told the mom who waited up and watched him dive off. She screamed, knowing he couldn't swim. It woke him up and he drowned. Grandma told this right after hearing that I'd Sleep Walked.

Whether the story is true or allegorical, I have no idea, but like the link says, it can be dangerous.

Wife followed him around last night and he jumped when he turned around and saw her and almost took a swing. Would not end well for him, sleeping or not. Very out of character, as in would never dream of it in waking life.
No offense, and you can raise your kids however you choose, but "Would not end well for him, sleeping or not"? Gotta say that somebody with a sleep disorder like this, doesn't know what they are doing and aren't responsible for something like that. I think hitting him back would be counter-productive. Again, no offense.
They grow out of it. The key is keeping the locks on the doors high enough they can not get out.

BGG,

Connor, my 8 year old, has done it when he's extremely over-tired. He'll actually have a "conversation" that you're not really privy to.

It's been a while since it's happened but I generally just pick him up and put him back in bed. Freaked me out the first time....

George
oldest daughter would do it occasionally when she was younger....wierd as hell, she would walk into our bedroom, make some off the wall statement that prolly made sense in her dream and them walk back to her room and go back to bed and she would have no recollection of it.....she will be 18 in a couple months and hasnt done it for the last few years that i know about....
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I have seen my son do exactly that, once. Scared and puzzled me at the same time. I was looking in his eyes while talking to him and nobody was home. Eeek! I put him back in bed and that was that.
Originally Posted by Wingnut53
They grow out of it. The key is keeping the locks on the doors high enough they can not get out.

Exactly. My oldest use to do it, freaked me out the first few times, she did the talking thing too. But she grew out of it a couple of years after.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

No offense, and you can raise your kids however you choose, but "Would not end well for him, sleeping or not"? Gotta say that somebody with a sleep disorder like this, doesn't know what they are doing and aren't responsible for something like that. I think hitting him back would be counter-productive. Again, no offense.

None taken.

All I meant was he'd be woken up, rather quickly. Can't punish kids for things that aren't their fault. I was interjecting a little humor into an otherwise freaky situation. He's 10 not 20. smile
Originally Posted by NH K9

BGG,

Connor, my 8 year old, has done it when he's extremely over-tired. He'll actually have a "conversation" that you're not really privy to.

It's been a while since it's happened but I generally just pick him up and put him back in bed. Freaked me out the first time....

George

He first started this stuff a couple years ago when we had him on singulair. Had night terrors, and seemed to get real emotional. There's usually 1 month out of the summer when his allergies kick off, and the singulair was to help that. After dealing with the consequenses we said "f" the singulair and just give him sudafed. The sleepwalking seemed to disappear, but has recently made a resurgence. I can't link it to any meds, as he's not on any.

Yeah, my boy used to do it. It was kinda spooky the first few times. Had to make sure the doors were dead bolted and be extra careful by the stairs.

He hasn't done it now for about 5 years that I'm aware of.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Thanks
It's just another sleep disorder.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/5_steps_stopping_sleepwalker

My Grandma, God rest her soul, was one of those morbid old southern gals who thought nothing of scraing the shixt out of kids. I loved Grandma, but just sayin'...

She told this story about some family that lived on the edge of a cliff above some body of water. They had a son who would go out at night, strip down, and dive into the water and swim. The catch was, he didn't know how to swim. Evidently the dad had been observing this and told the mom who waited up and watched him dive off. She screamed, knowing he couldn't swim. It woke him up and he drowned. Grandma told this right after hearing that I'd Sleep Walked.

Whether the story is true or allegorical, I have no idea, but like the link says, it can be dangerous.

When it first started I tried to wake him up a couple times. Jesus that was never a good idea. Now, like others have said, we just tuck him back in and go on like it never happened.
BGG;
Our eldest used to do what you're describing and also went through a stretch of what we believe was called "night terrors" as well.

Link:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors.html

The two would be combined sometimes and she'd be absolutely inconsolable when we'd find her. It made having a wood stove problematic to say the least and we made sure the doors were all locked.

A friend actually had to install hook and eye latches on their doors - taller than the child could reach, as the child would wander outside while sleep walking. Again in winter in Montana that wouldn't be a good thing.

Our daughter is now 17 and is a well adjusted, wonderful young lady, so like others have said, she grew out of it.

It did make for some pretty sporty sleepless nights for awhile though for sure.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck with your youngster's sleep disorder.

Regards,
Dwayne
Our 6yo boy does it. He doesn't talk a great deal, but does occasion.

We really have to watch that he doesn't do things like pee in the bathtub or in his trash can like he did a couple months ago.

Basically we let him do his thing, but we always keep a sharp eye on him when we hear him get out of bed.
Originally Posted by tzone
Yeah, my boy used to do it. It was kinda spooky the first few times. Had to make sure the doors were dead bolted and be extra careful by the stairs.

He hasn't done it now for about 5 years that I'm aware of.

That's just it. If he doesn't use the bathroom, or wander into my bedroom I'd never know he was up. I wonder how often it happens I'm unaware of. Gonna have to figure something out.

Game cameras maybe? (that's a joke)
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BGG;
Our eldest used to do what you're describing and also went through a stretch of what we believe was called "night terrors" as well.

Link:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/sleep/terrors.html

The two would be combined sometimes and she'd be absolutely inconsolable when we'd find her. It made having a wood stove problematic to say the least and we made sure the doors were all locked.

A friend actually had to install hook and eye latches on their doors - taller than the child could reach, as the child would wander outside while sleep walking. Again in winter in Montana that wouldn't be a good thing.

Our daughter is now 17 and is a well adjusted, wonderful young lady, so like others have said, she grew out of it.

It did make for some pretty sporty sleepless nights for awhile though for sure.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir and good luck with your youngster's sleep disorder.

Regards,
Dwayne

AHHH you guys are going to give me nightmares!

His motor control doesn't seem well enough to go down the stairs, or manipulate door handles, but who knows? He has run full speed down the hallway.
My brother had a bout of same when he was a lad, it turned out to a tonsil infection.
Antibiotics cleared up the infection and the sleepwalking.

Unlikely to be your lads problem...but you never know.
Mine has done it a few times. Pretty similar to the other examples already given. Talks to us and appears to be awake but never remembers it the following day. Hasn't happened in a long time now, he is almost 12. Growing out of it maybe?
Do you have a local sleep clinic? You could see what they say. I never made it outside that anyone told me about.
BGG:
I'm truly sorry as that's not my intention whatsoever sir.

Our daughter's motor controls were such that she never mastered door handles that well either, though she did make it into our bedroom a time or two - so that's why I mentioned the deadbolt.

Our wood burner is upstairs from where we all sleep and come to think of it she never made the stairs either.

Anyway sir, I do wish you all the best with this and didn't mean to add to your family's angst in dealing with it.

Regards,
Dwayne
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Originally Posted by Wingnut53

Exactly. My oldest use to do it, freaked me out the first few times, she did the talking thing too. But she grew out of it a couple of years after.

Me & little brother both did it as kids. Parents swore we would also sleep walk at the same time & carry on a conversation with each other! We both grew out of it by the time we were in high school, though.

Little brother used to sleep walk outside. Parents would usually hear the back door being un-locked & the door open! They found him wondering around in the back yard several times. He never woke up during those episodes, & they would lead him back to the house & back to bed. He never once woke up during these episodes!
Fortunately for him, we didn't live in town on a busy street!

He says my 16 year old nephew does the exact same thing, now. Wonder if it's hereditary?
Will chime in on this one. It is a zoo around here at night wife and one of the girls both sleep walk. The wife will gasp and say they are in the house they are in the house.
I grab the 45 clear the house and go back to the bed room and she is sound asleep twice this year. Losing my hair. They both will walk down the stairs walk talk pour milk never drink it. It is crazy. Wife says she has always done it. Me and older daughter sleep sound no issues.
I did it when I was little. We had a dead bolt out of reach on the door because my parents caught me one time heading out to play in the snow. I had my hat, coat and boots on over my pajamas. I remember waking up on the floor one time with them kneeling next to me.

My son was getting night terrors for a stretch where he'd sit up with his eyes open and mutter things but he never got out of bed. We would just sit next to him and rub his back and speak to him quietly and after a few minutes he'd lay back down and close his eyes.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BGG:
I'm truly sorry as that's not my intention whatsoever sir.

Our daughter's motor controls were such that she never mastered door handles that well either, though she did make it into our bedroom a time or two - so that's why I mentioned the deadbolt.

Our wood burner is upstairs from where we all sleep and come to think of it she never made the stairs either.

Anyway sir, I do wish you all the best with this and didn't mean to add to your family's angst in dealing with it.

Regards,
Dwayne

No worries sir.

At a balmy -12 currently I'd think the shock would wake him up and send him back inside pretty quick.
be careful, many kids do sleep walk and grow out of it but if he is older it may be the sign of other problems, like sleep apnea.

I started sleep walking when I was probably around 19, I would dress my self, eat and and usually wake myself up in the livingroom of my apartment. One day however I woke up dressed for work trying to start my pickup, I was cognitive enough to open the hood and woke my self up slaming the hood of my pickup. Usually I just make frozen juice concentrate when I sleep walk. Then in Aug, I was put on a CPAP machine and low and behold if I use the machine I don't sleep walk, unfortunately with my current back situation I can't use my cpap so I pretty much sleep walk every night. Now I mix formula for the baby and leave bottles in his crib for him.
My youngest did it from about age 2 til 5 or 6...

Did it most often when he was over tired, or we got home late from somewhere...

first time was the worst as we had no idea til we woke up with him screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of a pitch black night.
he was almost 2 and had gotten into the laundry room and the door closed behind him. Guessing he woke up when he couldn't get it back open.

Spooky and startling, but not overly dangerous, if you are aware and take some precautions.

He also had some episodes of night terrors for a couple of years...
nothing will get you out of bed faster...

Best of luck...
Im 29 and I do it still. Seems like I will tie in something that I am participating in, example- after putting out ant poision I got up flipped on the lights and started wiping invisible ants out of the bed, When me and a bud used to hunt snakes I would get up and SWEAR there were snakes along the baseboards. I was working on my stove in the camper and that night I told my wife to get out of bed and let the stove repairman in the front door.

When I lived at home I got in the shower (fully clothed) and the cold water woke me up when I turned it on.

Walked outside a hotel room in Elk City OK in my skivvies one night and the door shutting woke me up, SOB nearly called the cops on me when I went to the lobby and got a new key in my drawers. (didnt have any other options)

I kind of halfway know what Im doing but cant really think straight, its like a VERY realistic dream.

My parents would just tell me to go back to bed and I would. My wife tells me im making no sense and ill try to explain it to her until I finally wake myself up and realize what Im thinking is happening is not real.

My son also had these Dwayne.

He was near impossible to wake up. There were times when I'd carry him outside on the deck, in winter so the cold air would wake him up. That worked well, actually.

He'd wake up and the poor little guy wouldn't know what was going on.

Like I said previously, he's been sleep walk/terror free for about 4-5 years now.
My sister did it when we were growing up and I remember dad putting a lock on the front and back doors so she couldn't go outside. After awhile she quit doing it.

My younger sister and I both did when we were kids. She did it more when we were young, then it seems she grew out of it. I haven't in several years, but did at least through college.

Someone mentioned peeing in a trash can.... All of my roomates through college told me about things I did. One was peeing in a trash can. He said he woke up and heard me peeing in it and said "You're peeing in the trash can!"...he said I answered "It's only a trash can"...I didn't remember a thing about it. Another followed me out as I got in my car in the middle of the night wearing nothing but my underwear...campus security was with him and told me all about it the next morning...said they woke me up and got me to go back inside...I didn't remember any of it.
My cousin used to do it especially after watching scary movies. Did it one time st my grandparents cabin. Scared the schit out of me.
Strikes me as a potentially serious thing that you should check with a specialist about.

Flying back from Rome one year sat behind a cordoned off section... seems the guy had sleep-walked off the 7th floor of his hotel... didn't look good. They were flying him to NYC for surgeries...
One of my brothers did. Dude did all kinds of weird/silly things. Be sure your kid don't sleep in the raw. Could get embarassing!

Brother grew out of it at about age 10.

Me: I talked in my sleep. Told stories, recited parts of books I'd read even. Strange. Brothers said I only held up one side of the conversation, so they never heard who I was talking to!
There's been two times I've walked in my sleep.

The first time when I was a teenager and I pizzed in the hallway in my parent's house in the middle of the night.

The second time I couldn't find my bathroom in the middle of the night and walked into my roommate's bathroom ... naked ... and pizzed in her toilet. I woke up when she asked "What the he!! are you doing?"
Not a child but my late wife. We had her in a hospital bed in the living room. The Dr put her on Ambien for sleeping problems. That stuff is terrible for sleep walking. If she came in the bedroom at night heading for the bathroom, I knew she was asleep. If she was awake, she'd use the other bathroom which was much closer. The big problem was that she couldn't always find the bathroom when asleep.

We got her off the Ambien and within a couple of days the sleep walking ended.
We had a young man in my Army barricks that walked in his sleep. He tried to push a wall locker over one night. The guys he woke up got him back in bed and he slept the rest of the night and didn't remember the incident the next day. This was not his first time. It got him booted from the Army.

He was a good and decent guy and didn't have a mean bone in his body. But after dark you didn't know if he was awake or sleep. kwg
We had a scout who did that.. we adults would take turns staying up at night, kind of like fire guard in the military, to be there when he did sleep walk.. seemed he would head for the campfire every darn time and we stopped him from walking thru it multiple times...

gal I went out with, had a 7 yr old son that would sleep walk...
it was like others above were saying, going to the bath room..

funny to watch them, as they mental of course are turned around...

Kevin would make it to the bathroom alright, but the clothes hamper faced the toilet... and as easily guessed, he's open the lid to the clothes hamper instead of the toilet and take his whizz into the clothes hamper...

then it was funny watching him trying to flush it...

it finally explained to his mom, of why the dirty laundry smelled so bad all the time...
There is a relationship to how tired one is, and the quality of their sleep. Maybe keep a journal under what conditions cause him to sleep walk. Was he overly tired that day, stay up late, etc. It could be something as simple as getting him to bed earlier. Any sleep type clinic will most likely want this info anyway.

Just a suggestion.

R.
I did once or twice when I was young.

I talk in my sleep right now...
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
I did once or twice when I was young.

I talk in my sleep right now...

You're good so long as you don't answer back smile
My youngest daughter did from 5-6 until about 15 or so. After the first time wife took her to a neurologist. She would sleep walk about every couple of months. Finally at about 12-13 she had a severe seizure at the school bus stop. While in the hospital she was tested & found to have epilepsy. She has been tested many times & continues to have violent seizures despite taking a host of meds. A couple of times flashing lights on fire engines caused a seizure. She finished college, has a good job, & is married, but will have to deal with epilepsy for the rest of her life. There is no know connection between sleep walking & other medical issues that I know of. I would however suggest visiting a specialist.
Thanks everybody for all the input and suggestions. I really do appreciate it.
Ken Howell...where are you??

" slept walked"

Thanks

My first born did. Often you could even have conversations with him though he wouldn't remember and he was in a different reality.
Gave us some anxious moments but he is now 25,gainfully employed, and married well.
Just one of those things you have to work with/through.
Wife used to. made sure there were 3-4 types of locks/chains on doors.

She was up one night washing dishes with no water... carried on conversation just fine.

Had seen it before with her, just went back to bed and she finally came back. Guess she finished.

Damn scary though.
I have lots of sleep walking stories. The worst was when I drove my parents car through the garage door. I started it, put it in reverse and backed through the door. Then I put it back in drive, pulled ahead, shut it off and went back in the house. I guess my Mom met me in the kitchen and asked what I was doing and I said trying to get some sleep. My Dad then asked what that crash was and I said "I shut the garage door"

The next morning I woke up to Dad yelling "WHAT IN THE SAM HELL?!!!"

Another time I would have ran through the window of my bedroom in my own house but luckily caught my knee on the dresser. I knocked that over and flew backwards into my closet and ripped the shelf and hanger down. I woke up coverd in clothes and everything I had on my closet shelf including a bucket full of change. My knee was split wide open.

Some friends almost lost their son. He was 3 years old and wondered out of their farm house at - 20*. They found him the next morning in front of the shop door barely alive. He was in the ICU for over 2 months. Doing fine now and he is about 14. Extremely lucky.
When my wife worked nights and kept her schedule all jacked up, she sleep walked and talked all the time. Me of course, never to waste an opportunity, would egg her on for great stories later.

The best walking story I found her with her dress shirt on, but the buttons were in the back, she'd put it on backwards, a pair of running shorts, and one lone cowboy boot. She was walking down the hall of our house with her shotgun in its case. Got to the closet by the front door, peered in it, shut it real quick and exclaims "we better not go through here, they'll see us". Never did find out who "they" were. After shutting the door to the closet she went back to bed.

Came home from work one day, her Tahoe was in the driveway, running, and at full operation temperature. She'd gotten home a good 8 hours earlier. I've often wondered if she was asleep as she drove home from work.

She was always talking in her sleep, I'd ask leading questions, she'd answer just as clearly as could be. Once when we were all staying at my parents, I got her to talking in her sleep and let my sisters listen in on the fun, they still laugh about it.

Once she got back to a normal work schedule the fun stopped.
I slept walked several times when I was very young. My mother and sister tell me of times when I would go to the refrigerator or trash can to take a whiz, if there were no one there to redirect me to the toilet, I would finish my business and go back to bed.

I guess it made for some lively conversation at the breakfast table sometimes. I don�t remember any of it, except for the conversation afterward.

I grew up almost normal�

Joel
I did it as a kid, grew out of it (for the most part).

I've talked in my sleep my whole life and still do to a certain extent. About once a week I wake up sitting up in bed, doesn't seem to harm anything? Present girl friend Hates it, but oh well...
Did that myself as a kid, but it did not last long. Not sure my folks knew it was happening actually. I'd wake up in odd places, go back to bed and that was that. Never went outside but I did wake up in the bathtub one night.

If you feel compelled to take protective action I would not be inclined to put locked doors between him and the bathroom, but I would block exit from the house and/or put obstacles in front of staircases.
Ours did-walked, talked etc. He would come out of his room and head down the stairs talking and acting crazy. We would forcefully tell him to go back to bed and that usually worked
Attributed it to growth spurts and I honestly think that was the cause. When the spurts ended, the sleep walking ended.
My youngest has been doing it more often. She has even come upstairs and sat by me and started talking. But her conversation makes no [bleep] sense and that is when I realize she's asleep. I just tell her to go back to bed and off she goes back to sleep walking zombie land.

But, since I have been making her go to the bathroom before bed (religiously) it has stopped. I read that somewhere. Has seemed to help.

I did it as a child. Almost fell down a flight of stairs. Kicked my mom. I still do these things but it's usually because I'm drunk.

Travis
I do believe that I'm going to start "sleep" walking. Apparently, I'll be able to get away with darn near anything.
SURPRISE!!!

Travis
My wife used to talk in her sleep. Not talking so much as griping. Mean, rude, ugly griping about pillows, blankets, just whatever. I'd argue back and she'd just be asleep. Wouldn't remember a thing about it the next day.

So one night I had enough. Figured she was asleep anyway, I might as well vent too. She wasn't asleep that time.....
© 24hourcampfire