Home
Is she going to be rich?
"Action"starts about 3:30.

yeah, the state of AK is going give her some money to support her drug habit. Bad call trooper.
ruh roh.... i bet he looses his job.
wow, it's going viral. It'll be national news in a day or so.
Originally Posted by Coach_W
ruh roh.... i bet he looses his job.

I would be very surprised if he didn't. The State is going to write her a check, and the other Trooper with him is probably going to get suspended at a minimum.

If either Trooper wrote anything but the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about the whole confrontation, then they will certainly lose their jobs.

It is obvious that Trooper #1 in the ballcap has not learned how to talk with people and learned when to disengage.

Makes me wonder who his FTO's were... frown

Ed
Originally Posted by Calvin
wow, it's going viral. It'll be national news in a day or so.

Good. That cop need to be in jail. His partner also need to be in jail for failing to stop the illegal arrest.

UNTIL WE START PUTTING THESE THUGS IN JAIL, THIS WILL NOT STOP.
Com'on, man. Didn't you see her assault the officer right before he threw her to the ground?

Nothing to see here, just move along.
Mike, was that on the Peninsula?

Ed
No, Ed. That was on/in Kodiak a few days ago, but it's all the talk on Soundoff this AM.
No Miranda either.

Fuggin cop.
Troopers are importing a lot of "troopers" from the lower 48. Should be a hard/fast rule that troopers have a minimum amount of time in AK before becoming a trooper. Damn tv show..
Originally Posted by ironbender
No, Ed. That was on/in Kodiak a few days ago, but it's all the talk on Soundoff this AM.

Are any of the local politicans responding to this, or do they also need to be replaced?
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Are any of the local politicans responding to this, or do they also need to be replaced?

If I was a politician in AK I'd be throwing this trooper under the bus so fast... Cant support that.
I'm betting there's a couple of Troopers standing tall in Anchorage about right now, wishing they were somewhere else.

The guy who is Colonel right now is not known for his tolerance for breaking the rules, much less the law.

The Commissioner, being part Native, won't be too enthused about this either. Both are "old school" Troopers who play by the rules.

Ed
Troopers are importing a lot of "troopers" from the lower 48. Should be a hard/fast rule that troopers have a minimum amount of time in AK before becoming a trooper. Damn tv show..

The reason for importing them is that they can't find enough people in the State that can pass all of the entrance requirements.

I agree about the TV show.

The rules used to be that you had to be assigned to an urban post, Anchorage, Juneau, or Fairbanks for a minimum of two years after FTO before you could even think about being transferred anywhere else. When the State got that rule changed (against the Troopers Union protests) in the late '90's, you started seeing guys that did not know how to talk to people and treat people firmly but with dignity, being put out in the Bush.

When your back up maybe days away, you learn to do two things really well. You learn how to talk WITH people and you learned how to fight. The talking part eliminated a lot of the fighting part.

Ed
OOOPS, those coppers are still better men than me, I can't tolerate that workin' with the public horsechit. mad

Gunner
Two other points here;

First, he didn't ask her questions he could use against her as evidence, so no Miranda warning was required.

Second, AST is one of the most politically manipulated LE agencies I have ever seen. They cannot move without some politician in Juneau having a say in it. So, the concern (?!)) that the politicians won't be involved is not something to worry about. Politicians and the media will be all over this like stink on the schit it is.

Ed
Originally Posted by gunner500
OOOPS, those coppers are still better men than me, I can't tolerate that workin' with the public horsechit. mad

Gunner

No, you are the better man, because you realize your short coming, and didn't violate the public trust while accepting tax payer money.

Gunner

No, you are the better man, because you realize your short coming, and didn't violate the public trust while accepting tax payer money.

Oh no my friend, I close screaming loud mouths, can't listen to them. grin

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner, the Trooper in the ball cap should have shut his mouth and walked out of the door BEFORE the other Trooper did. They were there on a 9-11 call, they had determined that there was no emergency, and he was standing there, lecturing her on her life.
I would be willing to bet that the Trooper with the sunglasses KNEW that the confrontation was wrong and did not want any more part of it, that's why he stepped outside. He wasn't inside to see what she did, he just saw the door go back open and his partner go after the female, and he reacted.

Hopefully he does the right thing from here on out and writes it up as it really happened.

Ed
Gotcha, again you gentlemen are much more suited to crowd control, I like peace and quite and preferred to work alone. wink

Gunner
Boy, she's a wiggler. Did you see how quickly she unbuckled the seatbelt and was piling out when he caught her.

I have the same question as she did. What was she arrested for? Do any of the local rags give the cop's side of the story?
Maybe I missed something but I don't see anything wrong with the arrest. She was home free and the officer was leaving when it looked like she made a move on him.
If she did indeed make contact, however slight, I think it will go as a good arrest.
http://www.ktoo.org/2013/05/02/trooper-arrest-investigated-after-youtube-post/

Then, as Mitchell was preparing to leave, he wrote that Waite attempted to move behind him and came into what he called �virtual body-to-body contact�. Mitchell said he saw Waite reaching her arm toward him, which he considered a �prelude to a physical assault.�

Out of concern for his safety, Mitchell wrote that he shoved her away. He told Waite she was under arrest and he and the other trooper, Boyd Branch, forced her to the ground in order to handcuff her.
In the video, Waite is heard asking why she is being arrested and saying she was simply reaching for the door when she was thrown down.

She continues to ask why she is being arrested and struggles with the officers before ultimately being forced into the troopers� vehicle.

The cop admits she never touched him, but he choose to charge her with assult because he thought she might touch him.

When you hear his side of the story he sounds like even more of a dirt bag control freak.
Update:

http://www.adn.com/2013/05/01/28869...tion.html#storylink=omni_popular#wgt=pop
Originally Posted by Longbob
Boy, she's a wiggler. Did you see how quickly she unbuckled the seatbelt and was piling out when he caught her.

I have the same question as she did. What was she arrested for? Do any of the local rags give the cop's side of the story?

Longbob, lacking any other details, it appears that she was arrested for POTT. Pissing Off The Trooper. That is why she is going to get a check for her and her attorney(ies) and the Trooper is going to wish this was Groundhog Day so he could get a "do over". The "Disorderly Conduct" charge won't even make it to court. You can't be charged with that in your own house. She didn't assault the Trooper at any point we could see, so his reaction was excessive use of force by their own S.O.P., adding bonus points to her check.

Ed
Originally Posted by Tracks
Maybe I missed something but I don't see anything wrong with the arrest. She was home free and the officer was leaving when it looked like she made a move on him.
If she did indeed make contact, however slight, I think it will go as a good arrest.

You must be a cop.

And no, the arresting officer in his statment admitted she never made contact with him.
The more that comes out, the worse it looks for the troopers in my opinion. Am I the only one surprised that the second trooper was a male? I thought it was a bit of a dyke female.
it looked like she was reaching for the door as the trooper started to leave.

You must be a cop.

And no, the arresting officer in his statment admitted she never made contact with him.

Sure a hell not a cop, and I'm not a fan of badge heavy behavior and the blue code that all cops must defend the actions of all others, but I'm not stupid enough to make a move like that.
What she thought and what the officer thought may be different thing, but in that situation I think I would perceive a threat.
After watching the cops - armed to the gills and wearing body armor - force thiri way into homes of law abiding American citizens in Boston - and FORCING these people from their own home so that the cops could look big and bad while they looked for the bombers I hade a 3 foot by 5 foot sign made that is mounted on the brick wall next to my garaage door. The sign says this:

"This is the home of a FREE American citizen.

This is NOT a crime scene.

If you have no warrant - leave immediately.

You have MY PERMISSION to send ONE UNARMED person to my front door and I will meet them and answer any appropriate questions.

If you approach with arms, or more than one armed person approaches MY HOME they will be met with all resistance poossible by a 66 year old disabled, FREE American.

I will NOT be treated as a criminal, or a person who is helpless. The law of this nation is based on MY FREEDOM - not on your need to appear as if you know your ass from your elbow."

And some people are surprised that so many guns and so much ammo is being sold. If only the European Jews had known what was coming in 1930 they would have been able to stockpile weapons and ammo and remain free or go down fighting.

Terry

it looked like she was reaching for the door as the trooper started to leave.

Yup, look closely at her hand as it reaches past him. Her hand is already positioned to grab the edge of the door as it passes out of our sight.

He was out of control. His affidavit doesn't exactly jibe with the video.

Her bail amount ($100) tells me that the Magistrate doesn't buy into the whole assault thing either.

Ed
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

The reason for importing them is that they can't find enough people in the State that can pass all of the entrance requirements.

The rules used to be that you had to be assigned to an urban post, Anchorage, Juneau, or Fairbanks for a minimum of two years after FTO before you could even think about being transferred anywhere else. When the State got that rule changed (against the Troopers Union protests) in the late '90's, you started seeing guys that did not know how to talk to people and treat people firmly but with dignity, being put out in the Bush.

When your back up maybe days away, you learn to do two things really well. You learn how to talk WITH people and you learned how to fight. The talking part eliminated a lot of the fighting part.

Ed

That sentence was a truism I learned early on in my career. You can even reduce it to just leaving a person with their dignity averts 99% of the complaints. I worked with guys that felt like John Q. Public could have his dignity IF the LEO decided he could. Bad, bad move. That starts more fights and generates more complaints than anything else. If the contact is a turd, he knows he's a turd, you know he's a turd, by random people passing by watching may not know it. Leave them with their dignity if at all possible and the job gets A LOT easier.
I hear ya Bluesman, and good on ya, I like that approach.

Gunner
This could have been avoided by not letting the cops into the house.

"No officer, no one here dialed 9-1-1. Everything is fine. Have a nice day."

Gunner

Ahhh, A man that knows his limits! Important part of life.

Join the club my friend, The general public sucks to be around, they think way to much of themselves and care about no one.
I hear ya Bluesman, and good one ya, I like that approach.

Gunner

If you were the cop, then this would have never happened. She would have had to wait until you bent over and squeezed yourself out of the door. There would have been zero attempt to reach around you. laugh
I don't agree with things but I do wonder why the video was edited and the background noise drowned out alot Could she have spit on or at him?

Edited to ad that after reading the addendum statement above I think there is more here than we initially see. If he did as he stated and reacted to what he thought might be a physical assault he has to go through with the arrest after he shoved her
WWATD?

What would Andy Taylor do?

smile
10-4 12344mag, cant stands none of dat chit.

laugh I aint that big Longbob.

Gunner
This could have been avoided by not letting the cops into the house.

"No officer, no one here dialed 9-1-1. Everything is fine. Have a nice day."

Nope. The 911 call came in. The person who answered the door was on parole. That whole residence is subject to search at any time without a warrant. That's a basic condition of parole.

I agree it could have been avoided. They could have come in, looked around, made sure no one was being injured, tried to figure out WHO called, and then left.

This was just bad all around.

Ed

We know that just from the first few minutes of the video.

Ed
I'm not a cop, but a my co-worker is a former one. He said that since she went to shut the door that in itself was enough as you ahve to maintain visual contact of your partner at all times. If that's true than ok, but still a little over the top for me.
What do you mean by the visual contact? I understand in general from several levels, but she was attempting to close the door behind him. The visual contact would have never been lost.

And I agree with you that this was way over reacting by the trooper.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I don't agree with things but I do wonder why the video was edited and the background noise drowned out alot Could she have spit on or at him?

The newer smartphones, particularly the iPhones clip a LOT of audio. I have to deal with this everyday. It doesn't come as any surprise at all to me and I don't believe it has been edited at all.

Ed
Originally Posted by Hudge
I'm not a cop, but a my co-worker is a former one. He said that since she went to shut the door that in itself was enough as you ahve to maintain visual contact of your partner at all times. If that's true than ok, but still a little over the top for me.

Ok, so let me get this straight:

If a cop is walking out of your house, and you go to close the door behind him, he can throw you to the ground and charge you will assult because closing the door could cause him to loose visual contact with you????

Your friend IS KIDDING, right???
gitem_12, PM inbound

Ed
The more that comes out, the worse it looks for the troopers in my opinion. Am I the only one surprised that the second trooper was a male? I thought it was a bit of a dyke female.

Its the blue and yellow stripe down the leg.... the uniform screams dyke. laugh

She didnt touch him. Or spit on him... Read the GD link. She moved to close the door, as anyone does when someone is leaving their house. Trooper turns his back on her then over reacts...

Still GirlFriend gonna get payed!

Lesson here: NEVER LET THE POLICE IN YOUR HOUSE WITHOUT A WARRANT.

Did you miss the part about a parolee living there? They don't need a warrant.
If she's on parole probably don't have any rights.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

Did you miss the part about a parolee living there? They don't need a warrant.

I guess I did miss that... I should have read the GD link closer laugh... Still a rule to live by for us non felons wink
Aren't we all?

We're only free because of the kind and gracious forebearance of the ruling authorities, don't you know...
Probably a good time to revisit this. A bit long, but it is a fascinating video.

Oh yeah...I was thinking of my house!
Originally Posted by Hoyt

What I understand from what I've read, is that the girl arrested was not on parole, but her boyfriend's mother. The mother is an owner (maybe renter) and is the one that let the cops in.

It's still not clear who is the owner of the pot plant nor who made the 9-1-1 call.
The dark haired chick said she made the call. You can see her near the end of the vid.
Originally Posted by Hoyt

What I understand from what I've read, is that the girl arrested was not on parole, but her boyfriend's mother. The mother is an owner (maybe renter) and is the one that let the cops in.

It's still not clear who is the owner of the pot plant nor who made the 9-1-1 call.

From what is on the video, the pot and bong are in the room where the girl and her boyfriend live, not in the main part of the house. It was the boyfriend's Mom who let the Troopers in and she was the one on probation or parole.

Ed

After watching the Video, I would guess the Girl will get richer , the cop demoted or lose his job and the Tax Payer will foot the bill for more Police Stupidity and Abuse. When are the cops going to learn, everything they used to get away with is now on video and they can't just deny it like in the past?

There you go. I saw that attempted assault right away. Besides, she was ugly, a loudmouth and a druggie. Lucky for her they didn't taze her mouthy azz.

Just glad the Trooper got home safe. That's the only thing that's important here.

Oh yeah, did I mention that she was ugly? The skank deserved what she got and more.

note to Webmaster - please add a sarcasm button.
Where would these situations be without iPhones and youtube?
Where would these situations be without iPhones and youtube?

Keep in mind, these cops KNEW they were being taped and still assulted and kidnapped her. Imagine what they would of done otherwise.
Originally Posted by FlaRick

There you go. I saw that attempted assault right away. Besides, she was ugly, a loudmouth and a druggie. Lucky for her they didn't taze her mouthy azz.

Just glad the Trooper got home safe. That's the only thing that's important here.

Oh yeah, did I mention that she was ugly? The skank deserved what she got and more.

I sure seem to be finding myself on the wrong side of things lately. grin

It's ok if you think she's hot; everybody is entitled to their own opinions and that doesn't make you on the wrong side of things.

You're ok by me man!
Don't think she's hot, but I based my opinion on some things I've seen strongly defended here by several Leos.
Guess I miss some of the finer points of what is good and not.
Get a hostile actor that makes a sudden move while a cops back is turned and it looks agressive to me, but I haven't been trained to make those decisions
She's got a nice ass.
Be interesting to see what happens to the troopers, but I'm the parolee will be getting called in to take a drug test before it's all said and done.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
She's got a nice ass.

You're a sick bastid. smile
That's what happens when a person is not prepared to do their job, for whatever reason. Could be that he's not cut out for LE or just the wrong day to deal with a loud mouthed bitch. For whatever reason, his partner is the only one I feel sorry for.
Probably ain't partners no mo'.
Lets see she is unarmed -120 lbs- She must have been gonna slash him with her fingernails and he got scared. Lawyers will be all over this. ED K
No Miranda either.

Fuggin cop.

Miranda only applies to a custodial interrogation (i.e., she has to be under arrest or its functional equivalent before Miranda warnings are required prior to interogation).
The officer said she was under arrest
She went to close the door. Technically, if she made contact with the cop, it could be a battery, but how chicken [bleep] can we get?? Really? The true animus of the arrest is the cop is pissed cause he had nothing on her.

Jordan

Cop's actions were way, way over the top. I am on the chick's side 110%.

Jordan
Originally Posted by RobJordan
No Miranda either.

Fuggin cop.

Miranda only applies to a custodial interrogation (i.e., she has to be under arrest or its functional equivalent before Miranda warnings are required prior to interogation).

She was cuffed, which means it was a custodian situation, but since they did not ask here any questions after they cuffed her, that's why the Miranda question is irrelevant.

Of course that still doesn't change the fact that they Assulted her, kidnapped her, and knowingly and intentionally charged her with a crime she did not commit.

Its the blue and yellow stripe down the leg.... the uniform screams dyke. laugh

She didnt touch him. Or spit on him... Read the GD link. She moved to close the door, as anyone does when someone is leaving their house. Trooper turns his back on her then over reacts...

Still GirlFriend gonna get payed!

Amen on that one.
She was on parole which negated the need for a warrant.
There is no evidence she was on parole is there? Even if she was on parole, she can't be arrested arbitrarily. BTW, once she told the officers she was reaching for the door, any PC they allegedly had for assault (on the basis of her reaching) was substantially diluted.

Also, they say they arrested her for disorderly conduct---in her own home, and because she did what exactly---prior to the arrest? Give me a frigging break.

BTW, one of the few things Kalifornia got right is a n arrestee has the right to resist an unlawful arrest or an arrest effectuated with excessive force.

Jordan
Correction. The mother is a felon and on parole. They all lived there. You can get that at the beginning of the video. The parole part that I mentioned was only in relation to not needing a warrant. I didn't mean it had anything to do with her arrest.

I do think the arrest was unjustified and the officer overreacted. It isn't looking good for him or his partner.
If there was an agent from the department of corrections on scene who made entry, with the police as back up, a warrant would not be required. I did not see any evidence of a doc parole officer. Police departments all over the country use that tactic all the time. If they want to see inside someones home, that is on supervision, and you have no probable cause, just grab a DOC guy and you don't need a warrant.
She wanted the last word, which was slamming the door on him when he left, he was not prepared to allow her that satisfaction, so she got arrested. People have been arrested for a lot less but then most of them did not have it on video. I think the cops are going to have to pay for not allowing her the small satisfaction of slamming the door.
Originally Posted by Mustang22
If there was an agent from the department of corrections on scene who made entry, with the police as back up, a warrant would not be required. I did not see any evidence of a doc parole officer. Police departments all over the country use that tactic all the time. If they want to see inside someones home, that is on supervision, and you have no probable cause, just grab a DOC guy and you don't need a warrant.

Parole is a different ball game, at least here in Utah. Every LEO in the State can stop and/or search parolees at any time. Probationers are a different story.

Edited to add, and you also don't need Probable Cause when dealing with/searching probationers or parolees, the standard is Reasonable Suspicion. In a probation/parole violation hearing, the burden of proof is "preponderance of the evidence", not "beyond a reasonable doubt".
Originally Posted by n007
She wanted the last word, which was slamming the door on him when he left, he was not prepared to allow her that satisfaction, so she got arrested. People have been arrested for a lot less but then most of them did not have it on video. I think the cops are going to have to pay for not allowing her the small satisfaction of slamming the door.

I think you nailed it.
looked like she was reaching for a coat to me not to slam door, anyway you look at it, it will not be good for LEO

I think you nailed it.

I think that's right too, but she's got a right to slam the door on his dumb ass. Jack booted thug piece of schit.

I think you nailed it.

I think that's right too, but she's got a right to slam the door on his dumb ass. Jack booted thug piece of schit.

I'd wager from your previous posts, if she were black, your tune would change. Talk about a piece of schit.
Originally Posted by saj
The officer said she was under arrest

Right, but there was no interrogation after that---just her screamin'. So no requirement to Mirandize. Not sayin' I agree with the cops at all. They were way badge heavy.
Listening to her and the armchair lawyer terms she was tossing around almost makes me wonder if it was a setup to cause exactly what happened with the hope being a payout of sorts. She seemed to enjoy the drama and role of actress to a degree.

The whole situation is unfortunate in many ways.
What she thought and what the officer thought may be different thing, but in that situation I think I would perceive a threat.

You must live in a considerably more exciting world than most of the folks I know. When I'm leaving a house and someone reaches for the door I don't think ASSAULT!
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
Listening to her and the armchair lawyer terms she was tossing around almost makes me wonder if it was a setup to cause exactly what happened with the hope being a payout of sorts. She seemed to enjoy the drama and role of actress to a degree.

She is a typical example of somebody that just hit the pipe. Guys that can't suffer fools have no future in LE.

Yeah, she wanted it. Wanted it bad. And then she got it.

Watta bitch.
Gestapo police work there. I can't imagine the terror that girl went thru from being assaulted by those two dip chits then being kidnapped. Makes by blood boil to watch this.
She got what she wanted.
First let me say that I respect law enforcement. I have not walked in their shoes so I dont know what its like, but that did not look good. Some cops need to get a better understanding of the law. They were way out of line and should probably lose their jobs on that one.
It wasn't good. He can't do the job. She won.
Too much of this in a lot of lines of thinking and work: "I'm big, you're little; I'm smart, you're dumb; I'm right, you're wrong!"
Originally Posted by ltppowell

She is a typical example of somebody that just hit the pipe. Guys that can't suffer fools have no future in LE.

I bet that is a major understatement.
Cop was probably on steroids.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Too much of this in a lot of lines of thinking and work: "I'm big, you're little; I'm smart, you're dumb; I'm right, you're wrong!"

Nah...she just bested him. If you let depraved people upset you, your days as a cop are numbered.
Well, I'm not a cop or a lawyer, but to me that looks like kidnapping under color of law. IMHO those LEOs should fry.

I think you nailed it.

--------------------------------------------------------

Right on Ghostinthemachine ..!
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Ed

That sentence was a truism I learned early on in my career. You can even reduce it to just leaving a person with their dignity averts 99% of the complaints. I worked with guys that felt like John Q. Public could have his dignity IF the LEO decided he could. Bad, bad move. That starts more fights and generates more complaints than anything else. If the contact is a turd, he knows he's a turd, you know he's a turd, by random people passing by watching may not know it. Leave them with their dignity if at all possible and the job gets A LOT easier.

The incident of this thread will play out as it will play out, but the highlighted areas of these two posts really needs repeating.

Human nature is human nature. We humans will give up a lot and suffer a lot but don't try to take away our pride or dignity. I've seen too many videos where the police try to "control" the situation come hell or high water - screaming at the person in question over and over - and agitating the situation to the point of violence when they could have used some interpersonal skills to calm down the situation.

It probably sounds trite, but "How to Win Friends and Influence People" should probably be as much required reading for police as the current book of statutes.

Yes, I know some situations call for control - someone about to shoot someone else, for instance - but treating a person with dignity and respect whether they deserve it or not would go a long, long way to stopping trouble before it starts. There would also be a lot fewer youtube videos of this nature...
Pat,

The post above mentions kidnapping as have a few others. Don't know if it goes that far, but at what point does an officer need to inform the person what they are being arrested for? I have never been arrested so I don't know these things. Just curious if they are supposed to tell you as they are cuffing you or can it wait until they get to the station or what.
Be interesting to see how this plays out.
Pat,

The post above mentions kidnapping as have a few others. Don't know if it goes that far, but at what point does an officer need to inform the person what they are being arrested for? I have never been arrested so I don't know these things. Just curious if they are supposed to tell you as they are cuffing you or can it wait until they get to the station or what.

I don't know about Alaska State law. In Texas, it is not required by statute, but is required by most Department's policy. In reference to "kidnapping", that is foolish. False arrest is the term.
No Miranda either.

Fuggin cop.

She was cuffed, which means it was a custodian situation, but since they did not ask here any questions after they cuffed her, that's why the Miranda question is irrelevant.

Of course that still doesn't change the fact that they Assulted her, kidnapped her, and knowingly and intentionally charged her with a crime she did not commit.

Nailed it.
Pat,

I don't know about Alaska State law. In Texas, it is not required by statute, but is required by most Department's policy.

I am reading your post as most department policies want you to inform the person as they are being arrested and not at a later point. Right?

Either way, it seems to me the best policy is not to make it any worse by resisting and mouthing off. Just don't say a damn thing until your lawyer shows up. Period.
In most cases you would be correct, especially if you are guilty. On the other hand, innocent people can not make their situation worse by telling the truth. And yes, Departments usually require that they tell a person what they are being charged with, if asked.
Foolish? Probably. I'm referring to the plain language meaning of the term, not the legal definition. I beg your pardon.
Have you seen this?

Sure. I've seen people that would otherwise be in the pen for murder walk away because they told their story too.
Just curious. Not trying to bust your balls. I have a lot of respect for the men in blue and there were some interesting points brought up in the video that I had never considered.

It seems there is so much room and opportunity for error even when an innocent person tells their story. It drove home the message to me that there is plenty of time to tell that story with an attorney present.
Some things threw me. Here if we are invited in a residence and see paraphernalia it's considered an open view search and its an arrest. Had that video been here she would have gone on the possession charge. Not to mention the screaming would have been dis-con. However. As Ed pointed out to me on the phone. It is entirely legal to have up to four ounces of pot in your residence in Alaska. And you cannot be arrested for disorderly conduct in your home in Alaska. Thought that was interesting how much state statutes differ.

But I bet we are the only county in the nation where it is illegal to wash a donkey inside on Sundays
Just curious. Not trying to bust your balls. I have a lot of respect for the men in blue and there were some interesting points brought up in the video that I had never considered.

It seems there is so much room and opportunity for error even when an innocent person tells their story. It drove home the message to me that there is plenty of time to tell that story with an attorney present.

Seeking legal counsel is always the best way to go if you are guilty of a crime. I suppose if the inconvenience and price of "lawyering up" every time a person is approached is not an issue, than more power to them. Also, you gotta remember this...cops could care less, but attorneys have a vested interest in their retention.

Seeking legal counsel is always the best way to go if you are guilty of a crime. I suppose if the inconvenience and price of "lawyering up" every time a person is approached is not an issue, than more power to them.

No, its the best way to go period. Never underestimate the ability of some power-hungry prosecutor (or cop) to twist innocence into guilt.
It seems to me to be self fulfilling. If one is approached by an officer in general terms is one thing. I have conversations with them on a regular basis. They (and you) are just people. Why not be courteous.

But if one detains me then there is no upside of answering their questions. Only equal position or downside. It is then up to the officer to determine if it goes any further. They can either let me go or take me in. Either way I haven't made my position any worse by keeping my mouth politely shut.

Seeking legal counsel is always the best way to go if you are guilty of a crime. I suppose if the inconvenience and price of "lawyering up" every time a person is approached is not an issue, than more power to them.

No, its the best way to go period. Never underestimate the ability of some power-hungry prosecutor (or cop) to twist innocence into guilt.

Like I said. Makes us no difference. It's your time and money.
In most cases you would be correct, especially if you are guilty. On the other hand, innocent people can not make their situation worse by telling the truth. And yes, Departments usually require that they tell a person what they are being charged with, if asked.

You are seriously naieve if you think law enforcement cannot and will not take innocence and try and transmute it into guilt.

That's exactly what happened, hope she gets paid accordingly!!
What would you guy's figure that's worth? I'd say 50-75k?
It seems to me to be self fulfilling. If one is approached by an officer in general terms is one thing. I have conversations with them on a regular basis. They (and you) are just people. Why not be courteous.

But if one detains me then there is no upside of answering their questions. Only equal position or downside. It is then up to the officer to determine if it goes any further. They can either let me go or take me in. Either way I haven't made my position any worse by keeping my mouth politely shut.

This stuff is so subjective, it's almost not worth discussing. If you matched the description of a fleeing felon and the answer of a few simple questions guaranteed your release, would you refuse?
Pat,

I don't know about Alaska State law. In Texas, it is not required by statute, but is required by most Department's policy. In reference to "kidnapping", that is foolish. False arrest is the term.

Alaska State Law does not require it by statute. The guiding reference is the 9th Circuit, then SCOTUS, who have said that a person must be formally charged and taken before a judge within 48 hours of arrest. That was 24 hours until the mid-90's. I don't remember the exact case, but I do remember it came out of California.

That said, AST's policy is to inform the person at the time they are taken into custody of what the initial charges will be. That is usually about the time the cuffs go on.

His silence on the charges is going to be another piece used against him. His affidavit does not mesh with the video, either. How the D.A. saw fit to file those charges is beyond me. Rookies everywhere.

Longbob, Pat is shooting straight when he said the correct term is false arrest. That, and excessive use of force go beyond state criminal courts straight to Federal court where it is known as a Title 1983 violation, which is a civil rights violation. The penalties are severe, both for the officer and the agency.
Once the 1983 violation is established, it is usually a matter of how many zeroes go on the check.

Even if this Trooper walks, his credibility is shot. He will be a big ass target for every defense attorney and prosecutors will be very hesitant to file charges on any resisting, assault, or Disorderly Conduct arrest he brings in. He is now a walking liability for AST.

Ed
I didn't watch the whole thing. I wonder how there happened to be a video camera going the whole time? Or was that explained later on?

That made me think of a set up. Although the cop sure was preachy on the tape.

Sycamore

This stuff is so subjective, it's almost not worth discussing. If you matched the description of a fleeing felon and the answer of a few simple questions guaranteed your release, would you refuse?

I would absolutely refuse in that scenario. Again, there is not a guarantee of my release by answering a few simple questions.

You are seriously naieve if you think law enforcement cannot and will not take innocence and try and transmute it into guilt.

It can happen, but you are the na�ve one if you think that being uncooperative, for no reason beyond paranoia, with LE is your key to happiness.

Boloney. She was closing the door behind him out of impatience for him being there too long.

I would have stayed back until he was across the threshold and closed the door (actually I wouldn't have let that snide punk in in the first place, but have no parolee in my house either) but there was absolutely no reason for him to react that way just because HE felt uncomfortable with a little girl!

They continued because they had to. Once he had her on the floor and knew he was being recorded he had to keep up the facade of legitimate arrest. People with that much power (real, or in this case perceived) just can't admit they're wrong.

I hope those two get canned and their careers ruined. We need more of that. I respect police in general, but too many things like this building up are really giving them a bad name. My best friend growing up is an officer and treats everybody like a perp or a potential victim in need of big brother to protect them. Seems to me too many guys like that create a bad situation for the many good ones out there.

In my friend's defense, he is working in inner city where those stereotypes are largely true... Sad state we're in today!
Pat,

Alaska State Law does not require it by statute. The guiding reference is the 9th Circuit, then SCOTUS, who have said that a person must be formally charged and taken before a judge within 48 hours of arrest. That was 24 hours until the mid-90's. I don't remember the exact case, but I do remember it came out of California.

That said, AST's policy is to inform the person at the time they are taken into custody of what the initial charges will be. That is usually about the time the cuffs go on.

His silence on the charges is going to be another piece used against him. His affidavit does not mesh with the video, either. How the D.A. saw fit to file those charges is beyond me. Rookies everywhere.

Longbob, Pat is shooting straight when he said the correct term is false arrest. That, and excessive use of force go beyond state criminal courts straight to Federal court where it is known as a Title 1983 violation, which is a civil rights violation. The penalties are severe, both for the officer and the agency.
Once the 1983 violation is established, it is usually a matter of how many zeroes go on the check.

Even if this Trooper walks, his credibility is shot. He will be a big ass target for every defense attorney and prosecutors will be very hesitant to file charges on any resisting, assault, or Disorderly Conduct arrest he brings in. He is now a walking liability for AST.

Ed

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like that mouthy bitch has the trooper by the balls and he is in a world of hurt on this one. I won't have to go out on much of a limb and say that officers like Pat would have never let it escalate to that point.

Experience and patience has its rewards.

Wow! Thanks for the detailed response. It sounds like that mouthy bitch has the trooper by the balls and he is in a world of hurt on this one. I won't have to go out on much of a limb and say that officers like Pat would have never let it escalate to that point.

Experience and patience has its rewards.

Thanks for the compliment. The truth is that a good cop wouldn't stand around and listen to some dopehead skank...much less feel the need to preach to her.
I get it, but I don't condone it. I couldn't be a trooper, don't have enough cool hand luke in me to do so.

he's probably gonna wish he'd handled that much differently

and there's no way a citizen (even a mouthy one) should have to put up with physical abuse from public employees.

some lawyer on Kodiak is a happy camper tonite

dayum that's gonna leave a mark in my pfd! lol
Bud, I don't envy the job you do, but thank goodness you do it with honor and help keep our state on the right side of things.
Watched the vid read the thread. I feel sorry for any guy who ever has to deal with a white trash bitch like that. All she had to do was talk reasonable,calmly and intelligently without all the [bleep] handwaving and body laguage to those troopers. there wouldn't have been any problems. I think she was looking to stage an incident also for financial gain. Why all the bullschit unless looking for some gain? Magnum Man
Bud, I don't envy the job you do, but thank goodness you do it with honor and help keep our state on the right side of things.

Yeah a big +1 there.

We have a fine force in the Michigan State Police here.

Of course it's inherently problematic pidgeon-holing all members of ANY group! I am a banker... I understand!
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Watched the vid read the thread. I feel sorry for any guy who ever has to deal with a white trash bitch like that. All she had to do was talk reasonable,calmly and intelligently without all the [bleep] handwaving and body laguage to those troopers. there wouldn't have been any problems. I think she was looking to stage an incident also for financial gain. Why all the bullschit unless looking for some gain? Magnum Man

I see. So, if your manners don't meet the government's criteria for "niceness", they reserve the right to kick the schit out of you, drag you from your home and make up a crime to justify their actions? And its all your fault for having bad manners. Now I get it. Glad to have you lay it out there for us in black and white so we know exactly what we are up against. mad

Jordan
Because she felt threatened and wanted space?

I don't think that what she did was wrong at all. Unwise yes, but I can't blame her. I hate people that I trust and respect sanctimoniously wagging their finger at me. Make it someone I mistrust and don't respect and it'll be tough for me to control myself.

She can't be older than what? 19 or 20? She is just a kid.

A better question is why the agent of the state who had a job to do didn't do what he ought and leave. He was supposed to be the professional on a mission there; she was just upset at her home being invaded and getting an unsolicited sermon.
You're right. He needs to go ahead and get DOJ. He likes to argue way too much to survive in law enforcement.
Originally Posted by efw

Yeah a big +1 there.

We have a fine force in the Michigan State Police here.

Of course it's inherently problematic pidgeon-holing all members of ANY group! I am a banker... I understand!

Get a rope! whistle
Ha ha he needs a "promotion" to Holder's right hand man smile !

I see. So, if your manners don't meet the government's criteria for "niceness", they reserve the right to kick the schit out of you, drag you from your home and make up a crime to justify their actions? And its all your fault for having bad manners. Now I get it. Glad to have you lay it out there for us in black and white so we know exactly what we are up against. mad

Jordan

I did read it that way at all. She could have acted like a human and spoke reasonably or not at all. She did her part to escalate the situation. The trooper should have far better control than that. He was definitely in the dominant position.

She got his goat and he did about the most stupid thing he could have.
You're right. He needs to go ahead and get DOJ. He likes to argue way too much to survive in law enforcement.

And he probably won't.

The bottom line here is, someone should have been the adult there and no one stepped up to the plate.
What I hear Magnum Man saying is, if she had not been so reactive, he would have had no reason to be reactive and it would have ended differently. That is true.
The Trooper should have had the maturity and professionalism to never let it get to where it did. He didn't and now people will pay.
I can guarantee you that her attorney will be subpoenaing his personnel file and training file and those of the other Trooper.

BTW, the reason I have been so vocal about this situation is that I used to work for AST before I went to work for Anchorage P.D. That is my old alma mater, so to speak, and it disturbs me on a personal level to see that crap happening there.

Ed
Fifty years ago she wouldn't have been talking like that......

Life/respect has morphed into life/drama i have no use for the later....
granted this guy was in the wrong.

but I have had some interaction with Alaska State troopers, some of the guys have simply been outstanding, but every one has been professional.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, and most of you guys realize that guy had a bad day. None of us know what happened to him before he made that call. Still his behavior was unexcusable.

but as a whole our troopers run a damned fine outfit.
Originally Posted by efw
Because she felt threatened and wanted space?

I don't think that what she did was wrong at all. Unwise yes, but I can't blame her. I hate people that I trust and respect sanctimoniously wagging their finger at me. Make it someone I mistrust and don't respect and it'll be tough for me to control myself.

She can't be older than what? 19 or 20? She is just a kid.

A better question is why the agent of the state who had a job to do didn't do what he ought and leave. He was supposed to be the professional on a mission there; she was just upset at her home being invaded and getting an unsolicited sermon.

Her home wasnt "being invaded". She let them in, also. She is on parole/probation which means they can make a warranties search any time they want to

Her home wasnt "being invaded". She let them in, also. She is on parole/probation which means they can make a warranties search any time they want to

Actually, it wasn't just "her" home and she wasn't the one who let them in. She's the girlfriend of the son of the parolee who invited the Troopers in when they showed up to assist the Medics on a possible suicide call.

They did a walk-through, saw the bong & some weed in plain sight in the son & girlfriend's room, and the confrontation began. Notice that "Mom" the parolee, was outside during the confrontation.

Ed

Actually, it wasn't just "her" home and she wasn't the one who let them in. She's the girlfriend of the son of the parolee who invited the Troopers in when they showed up to assist the Medics on a possible suicide call.

They did a walk-through, saw the bong & some weed in plain sight in the son & girlfriend's room, and the confrontation began. Notice that "Mom" the parolee, was outside during the confrontation.

Ed

Ok. I got confused from our earlier conversation. Main point being that they were invited into the residence
After 32 years enforcing the laws of the United States, it really twists my trust of what is being hired now. The new generation of police officers are not being taught law enforcement, but tyrannical tactics just to show their superiors that they are producing stats. It really makes me sick to see law enforcement erode to this level. I sure am glad I am popping smoke in October. Even the fnugs I deal with now have the same attitude. My superiors depend on me to "train" the new generation in law enforcement. They don't want to learn from me, they think I am archaic and don't know WTF I am doing in this "new" LE world. The problem lies in that the new generation watches too much T.V. and think that the bad practices they are watching are o.k. because it is on national television.

I gotta stop now, I am getting pretty disgusted!

Allen
Allen, it's more than that. It's a whole attitude of this just being a job, not a way of life.

It's a matter of not forcing the hiring process to wean out people with no life experience, particularly life experience that involves high stress or one that causes you to think and respond instead of reacting.

Another poster commented on life/drama and they were spot-on. Our society is conditioned to think emotionally, not pragmatically. You cannot do this job well and think emotionally.

That is the core problem behind what you are experiencing, too. They do not have a system that makes them rely on senior officers and their hard-earned good judgement as well as a peer pressure to perform at their highest level.

Their expectation is to be the one who has all of the answers. Even though they have no clue what all the questions are.

Someone else complained about non-Alaskans being recruited and hired at AST. There are just not enough emotionally, mentally, and physically strong enough individuals who WANT to be a Trooper in Alaska. It is tough to find good candidates anywhere in the US, thus we see some of the problems with immature, irresponsible officers. Agencies have to have bodies to fill the needs, and they take what they can get.

It is frustrating.

Ed

Based on that standard,there wouldn't be an Italian walking around free!
I agree Ed. Thanks for expanding/explaining in words I could not. I have such a hard and strong respect for true Law Enforcement and you put things in a perspective that is easier for a law enforcement officer to comprehend. It is easy to say that one is just going to retire and forget all about the lack of integrity in modern day law enforcement, but when it is your life, you cannot ignore the bastardization of a coveted and proud legacy.

Allen
Why do you think I have clung to this thread like a tick? It grieves me to see someone wearing a uniform I once wore acting like that.
Any of my peers, much less my FTO's would have drug that idiot out of there by his collar LONG before it got to the shoving stage.

The ONLY way an AST Trooper can do his/her job in the Bush, alone, is if they have the respect of the people they serve. That demands that the dignity and honor of that uniform not be discolored by treating people with a lack dignity and respect, even while you're kicking their ass.

You HAVE to stand above the emotion swirling around you or you will fall.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this guy's actions are going to haunt him, and his fellow Troopers, for a while.

Ed
The bong and pot is a non issue ... Raven vs State of Alaska. Small amounts of pot in your home for personal use is legal and has been since 1975. The Trooper had no buisness starting this confrontation over the pot.

http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/publications/authors/brandeis/1113.06.ravin_v_state.html

In 1975, in Ravin v. State, the Alaska Supreme Court held that the Alaska Constitution�s right to privacy protects an adult�s ability to use and possess a small amount of marijuana in the home for personal use. The Alaska Supreme Court thereby became the first�and remains the only�state or federal court to announce a constitutional privacy right that protects some level of marijuana use and possession.
Originally Posted by ropes

The bong and pot is a none issue ... Raven vs State of Alaska. Small amounts of pot in your home for personal use is legal and has been since 1975.

http://justice.uaa.alaska.edu/publications/authors/brandeis/1113.06.ravin_v_state.html

In 1975, in Ravin v. State, the Alaska Supreme Court held that the Alaska Constitution�s right to privacy protects an adult�s ability to use and possess a small amount of marijuana in the home for personal use. The Alaska Supreme Court thereby became the first�and remains the only�state or federal court to announce a constitutional privacy right that protects some level of marijuana use and possession.

For a non-parolee/probationer, you're absolutely right. The mixed issue here was that there was a parolee/probationer in the home. Your assertion of Ravin is why the Troopers didn't arrest ANYONE for that bong & weed.

Ed
Ed after reading your thoughts on this matter I'm going to have to strongly reconsider us having a drink together.

Yep, I've thought it over, I'm pretty certain I'm going to need to buy the first round.

Kudos to you for having the respect you do for the badge and what it represents. Tis one of the most honorable things a LEO can do imo, respect what his dept. and that badge stand for.

If a cop is walking out of your house, and you go to close the door behind him, he can throw you to the ground and charge you will assult because closing the door could cause him to loose visual contact with you????

No, he's not kidding, and he was LE in the military. In the video it shows only one trooper in the house as the other stepped out. When she went to shut the door, the visual contact as he called it would have been lost. Also, calling him my friend is not nice, relationship stays at co-worker, as he's a darn Obama voter.
Problem is the officer losing visual contact is not probable cause the young lady committed a crime. You don't get to pretend someone committed a crime because somehow you lost visual contact with your partner. What, we got a statute that says causing a cop to lose visual contact with his partner is a crime? Don't think so.

Just sayin.
Originally Posted by ropes
The bong and pot is a non issue ... Raven vs State of Alaska. Small amounts of pot in your home for personal use is legal and has been since 1975. The Trooper had no buisness starting this confrontation over the pot.

And it gets worse, He's tellin her she's got a drug addiction problem and is in denial? WTH?
I sure am glad I am popping smoke in October.
Congratulations and best wishes to you, Allen. It was a pleasure to have met you and from the short time we spent together I could easily recognize you (and Ed) were truly one of the good guys. I, too, regret the direction law enforcement has taken in the last decade or two, but there is no doubt in my mind, you and many others on here did an honorable profession proud, and I thank you for that sincerely. But it's certainly not just law enforcement that has become something of concern, but the whole society, country, and in fact the whole world. I fear there is no going back to where we were, and am certain I don't like where we are. That may qualify as a dilemma. grin But one we all face and will have to deal with on our own terms. I'm sure we will. All the best to you, Officer.
Pat,

Isn't that just semantics?
I think the trooper didn't approve of her behavior/lifestyle based on the lecturing. He didn't like her. He was looking for a reason to arrest. He incorrectly identified one.

Buh-bye.
There are some really great posts on this thread by some really great LEOs I'm thinking.

Several of these posts ought to be read by that Trooper.

No, he's not kidding, and he was LE in the military. In the video it shows only one trooper in the house as the other stepped out. When she went to shut the door, the visual contact as he called it would have been lost. Also, calling him my friend is not nice, relationship stays at co-worker, as he's a darn Obama voter.

How would the visual contact been lost? The other officer was outside, the second officer was walking out the door, and she was attempting to close the door behind him. The visual contact with the partner wouldn't have ever been lost at that point.

I think your coworker is wrong in this case if he is trying to use that as a justification.
I alweays said that if I were to make the hiring standards, I would NOT give much consideration to college degrees. I would look for the guy/gal who has been a clerk in a Stop-n-Rob on the overnight shift. They know how to deal with people. I would also want for my hires to have spent a weekend in the lock-up for disorderly conduct. When one has the power to take away someone's liberty they had better know EXACTLY what that means. The trooper in this call is a complete nitwit. I WILL say however, that on ANY call, it is best for your survival NOT to allow an argumentive anyone to get within arms reach of you, PARTICULARLY from behind you. This is what is known as a clusterphuck.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Congratulations and best wishes to you, Allen. It was a pleasure to have met you and from the short time we spent together I could easily recognize you (and Ed) were truly one of the good guys. I, too, regret the direction law enforcement has taken in the last decade or two, but there is no doubt in my mind, you and many others on here did an honorable profession proud, and I thank you for that sincerely. But it's certainly not just law enforcement that has become something of concern, but the whole society, country, and in fact the whole world. I fear there is no going back to where we were, and am certain I don't like where we are. That may qualify as a dilemma. grin But one we all face and will have to deal with on our own terms. I'm sure we will. All the best to you, Officer.

If this thread lasts much longer, there will be somebody labeling them both as cop-haters and lumping them in with TRH on all future LEO threads. grin grin

FWIW....... I came thru WELCH,TX on my way home from Seminole yesterday. I saw reason to re-visit it in a couple weeks when the cattle are moved out.

Y'all are welcome. grin
What you may not understand is that other cops who act so stupidly make it far more really dangerous for everyone else as the schitheads out there are always looking to push the envelope. It is NOT getting better and worse yet, it was very MUCH my experience that the "college boys and girls" that there is a penchant for hiring are much quicker on escalating the force levels. It has everything to do with when someone prerceives a real threat. Someone who has never had their asses kicked are more fearful in general and quicker on the trigger of force.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by RickyD

If this thread lasts much longer, there will be somebody labeling them both as cop-haters and lumping them in with TRH on all future LEO threads. grin grin

FWIW....... I came thru WELCH,TX on my way home from Seminole yesterday. I saw reason to re-visit it in a couple weeks when the cattle are moved out.

Y'all are welcome. grin

What on earth were you doing in Seminole? Or Welch for that matter? That's just 10 miles downth road from me.

Y'all are welcome. grin

There you go again, hijacking a perfectly good cop-hating thread with great news! grin

Time to dust off some gear. I told my lovely bride the other night that I needed to get out your way.

Ed
yeah, the state of AK is going give her some money to support her drug habit. Bad call trooper.

They all go the same way....girl gets lawyer....lawyer fills paper work
years go by...state gives girl $$$$ .... girl pays lawyer $
cop sees that his career is over and gets a new job.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
It has everything to do with when someone prerceives a real threat. Someone who has never had their asses kicked are more fearful in general and quicker on the trigger of force.

Amen, Brother! We have a society where it's not OK to get into a fist fight, so academy recruits have NO idea what it's like to hit someone or get hit. They got their education about fights the same place they got their firearms skills, TV and the movies.

We had to make the recruits get on their knees to box because if we let them stand up they would never engage and hit each other. Then, once the academy was over, they were quick on the trigger when a confrontation was taking place because they didn't trust their own abilities to handle themselves.

It is evident from the video that the pretty boy with the sunglasses was that type. Did you hear him, in the video, AFTER the girl was in the back seat but not secured, telling the other Trooper that they needed to call for back up? shocked confused. BTW, the sunglasses propped up on his head would have NEVER happened when I was there.

You want someone to treat you like a professional, then act and dress like a professional.

Ed
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I alweays said that if I were to make the hiring standards, I would NOT give much consideration to college degrees.

When everybody in America has a college degree, then half the college graduates in America will be dumber than the average American.

"You want someone to treat you like a professional, then act and dress like a professional."

Contrary to popular mythology,THIS was the key to the old time Texas Sheriff's ability to successfully enforce the law in his county with less than a tenth of the personnel that are required in some cases nowadays.

Having a reputation as being a fair-minded man meant that he had ALL like minded citizens supporting him. It's really hard to get away with crimes if the whole county believes in Law Enforcement.

I think it's a "chicken-egg" argument as to whether the War on Drugs changed the citizenry, or the cops, first.

But it sure as hell changed their relationship.
If I told you, Ed or Allen would have to kill you. grin

[you will have PM shortly]
"You want someone to treat you like a professional, then act and dress like a professional."

Contrary to popular mythology,THIS was the key to the old time Texas Sheriff's ability to successfully enforce the law in his county with less than a tenth of the personnel that are required in some cases nowadays.

Having a reputation as being a fair-minded man meant that he had ALL like minded citizens supporting him. It's really hard to get away with crimes if the whole county believes in Law Enforcement.

I think it's a "chicken-egg" argument as to whether the War on Drugs changed the citizenry, or the cops, first.

But it sure as hell changed their relationship.

Public perception of LE changed when the public agreed more LE was the answer to any problem relating to crime.

Quotas were raised. Standards were lowered. Dickheads were hired.

That video is a good example.

Travis
Jim, when we hire a new officer usually a couple of the senior guys get to sit in on the oral interview. I'm not allowed anymore. Because I made one candidate cry

I bluntly asked her whether she looked at the toilet paper after she wiped or not.
She clammed up and began sobbing and said she wasn't answering such an embarrassing question. I then asked her how then did she ever intend on honestly answering an integrity question on the witness stand she had a meltdown right there. I was chastized for being cruel and told that she was a very well educated young woman and did not deserve Neanderthal treatment. She wasnt hired and I haven't been asked back
I was ... told that she was a very well educated young woman. She wasnt hired ...

For the rest of her life, every time she looks at the toilet paper, she'll get a little tear in her eye.
Originally Posted by eyeball
There are some really great posts on this thread by some really great LEOs I'm thinking.

Several of these posts ought to be read by that Trooper.

BIG +1
Jim, when we hire a new officer usually a couple of the senior guys get to sit in on the oral interview. I'm not allowed anymore. Because I made one candidate cry

I bluntly asked her whether she looked at the toilet paper after she wiped or not.
She clammed up and began sobbing and said she wasn't answering such an embarrassing question. I then asked her how then did she ever intend on honestly answering an integrity question on the witness stand she had a meltdown right there. I was chastized for being cruel and told that she was a very well educated young woman and did not deserve Neanderthal treatment. She wasnt hired and I haven't been asked back

That settles it.

You're awesome.
EW I just didnt like her disposition. Everything was about her accomplishments. I just got a sense that the world revolved around her And her whole demeanor just made the hair in my neck stand up. She may very well have made a good cop but when she got that bothered by a question that I thought should rank on the low end of the self conscious scale. What would she do in a real stressful situation. She is a children and youth worker now and apparently does well at that job.

We hired a 19 year old right outbid the academy whose only previous work experience was as a pizza delivery guy. He was scared of his own shadow and wouldn't take charge of a scene unless there were other guys there to cover him. He didnt last either

I've always felt that my best weapon is my ability to talk. Most of the time if I make the people I interact with see in just a good ole boy from the sticks. I normally don't have many escalated confrontations like the video. But there are exceptions, and i feel it's just as important of a weapon to know the difference
I hire and fire in a similar environment to yours; where college degrees amount to more than over-priced TP.

We as a society have fed this idea that a degree is the path to a good life. A good life is one where you don't have to work (so much for putting in your time!) and everything can be about ME.

We've created monsters. I have college grads working for me who are less mature and have less work ethic than my 10 yo! They think the degree allowed them to arrive rather than just to enter the race!

Seriously though. That was a great way to illustrate that candidate's limitations!
I would look for the guy/gal who has been a clerk in a Stop-n-Rob on the overnight shift. They know how to deal with people. I would also want for my hires to have spent a weekend in the lock-up for disorderly conduct.

....and make 'em teach for a year in a big city public school... grin

Constantly amazed here how similar these taped LEO altercations are to what can happen in the classroom.

He coulda defused that whole altercation with a simple "yes ma'am you're right" or some such, heck, ANYTHING positive other than lecturing her about her probable drug use.

Doesn't matter if she's yelling or screaming; if she's within her rights, she's within her rights, period. OF COURSE she was PO'd, as she repeatedly explains, who want Cops in their house?

Handle that situation correctly and always be pleasant and polite in the future and that whole family coulda ended up waving as they passed. Maybe even helped keep the general peace with timely information on other events in that community.

Or so it seems to me, but then EVERY verbal confrontation I have has about twenty witnesses.

Really? Alaska State Patrol is looking for hires? Damn, our lives are simply not long enough to do all the things we could, else I'd be filling out an app right now.....

Birdwatcher
I'm thinking he's a trooper because he didn't want to deal with the schitt that teachers have to put up with.
I don't knock all college degrees. I have one. But my instructors all spent full careers as cops. One of them retired as chief of a local city dept another retired as the former commander of NYPD bomb squad. He was more than eccentric but a good prof. Another was a retired SP Lt. A judge and a lawyer. And was one of the best professors I had. Those teachers were the direct result of the college hiring a CJ program director who had walked the walk and talked the talk. Sadly I don't know if there is much of that being done anymore
Just a few words on this video.

Show Me THE MONEY!

Except for getting a little cash out of this deal, the best thing she could have done was to say, get out of the house!
She should have explained she was crying because she might get an increadibly stupid partner such as yourself.

Good to see LO not rubber stamping a pass to the brainlessphuk.
That would be tough to watch happen to someone. No cop hater here but I hope she gets paid big time for going through that. Since when the hell do cops cover peoples mouths???
???? If a question like that could break her into tears, she would be absolutely destroyed in a cross examination on the stand. The defense would absolutely LOVE to have a cop like that. They would win every case.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
She should have explained she was crying because she might get an increadibly stupid partner such as yourself.

Good to see LO not rubber stamping a pass to the brainlessphuk.

I have to ask. How that makes me a stupid individual?
I don't believe he had considered just what happens with people who get rattled so easily in this job.
I'm a cop and this arrest is BS.

The trooper should lose his job but won't because of the union. Thats the problem now days you can't weed out bad apples and that reflects bad on the rest of us...
Alot of people don't Jim. I always get quizzical looks when I ask the question about the T.p. lol

I wouldn't want to partner with anybody who answered "no."
I'm hoping Iron keeps us informed on the progress of this.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I wouldn't want to partner with anybody who answered "no."

Afraid of the stink eye? Lol.

There is a serious point to asking that question
Originally Posted by LBP
I'm a cop and this arrest is BS.

The trooper should lose his job but won't because of the union. Thats the problem now days you can't weed out bad apples and that reflects bad on the rest of us...

Your honesty is refreshing, sir!
EW I just didnt like her disposition. Everything was about her accomplishments. I just got a sense that the world revolved around her And her whole demeanor just made the hair in my neck stand up. She may very well have made a good cop but when she got that bothered by a question that I thought should rank on the low end of the self conscious scale. What would she do in a real stressful situation. She is a children and youth worker now and apparently does well at that job.

We hired a 19 year old right outbid the academy whose only previous work experience was as a pizza delivery guy. He was scared of his own shadow and wouldn't take charge of a scene unless there were other guys there to cover him. He didnt last either

I've always felt that my best weapon is my ability to talk. Most of the time if I make the people I interact with see in just a good ole boy from the sticks. I normally don't have many escalated confrontations like the video. But there are exceptions, and i feel it's just as important of a weapon to know the difference

I wonder if you are archaic or the norm around the US. I hope there are more like you being hired now, and I wish there were more like you in my neck of the woods.

+1 on the post earlier, a lot of officers with good attitudes on this thread. its good to see.
Any updates?
Any updates?

The two Troopers are under an internal investigation, and that may never be made public due to union policy. The girl is out on bond, but charged with the normal cop butt kicking list of charges.
Thanks!
While in Kodiak I saw the secondary trooper several times in uniform and obviously going about business as usual. I did not see Trooper Mitchell, but was told by a KPD officer that he had seen him in uniform.

Lots ofstraight-laced folks told me Mitchell is a dirt bag. he has a rep for always bruising wrists when cuffing folks, even the quiet compliant type. He has had many complaints for this according to several folks.

Concensus I heard was the partner is a good quiet guy caught in a bad spot.

Skyler Waite has been charged with four offenses, including disorderly conduct... but several have said there is no such charge possible in your own home?

Here is a link to the State website page that lays out the record.
http://www.courtrecords.alaska.gov/eservices/?x=ybaH4yey-xTGBv2OcOjzoQZgx*zIhONB83gx1vrDVhcpZ6us-VsQDzSGTb-5VC-fC5JzIEioAlfWmZhxbjPNvQ

They have also charged her with assault in the 4th and resisting arrest... Thinking that is a major stretch.
Looks like the first pre-trial hearing is Monday... Seems reckless to go forward with this as the Troopers are not going to look good in the end.
Thanks for the updates, Mister.

Hoping it'll all square itself away, and leave the everyday folks PAYING for the circus, satisfied with the center acts.

GTC
I'm astounded that they are moving forward with this at all.

Seems like the girl oughtta be getting calls from some pretty heavy-duty attorneys about now.
A reputable lawyer- there are some - often stays out of sight as long as possible when a client has a "slam dunk" case.

I know of one instance where the law firm's deal with their client was to only take their third of whatever settlement exceeded my company's initial settlement offer.

A potential defendant in a personal injury case is allowed to negotiate directly with a potential plaintiff until they are informed that he has retained counsel.

I'd say that this qualifies as a slam dunk as far as SOME amount of payout is concerned.
I don't knock all college degrees. I have one. But my instructors all spent full careers as cops. One of them retired as chief of a local city dept another retired as the former commander of NYPD bomb squad. He was more than eccentric but a good prof. Another was a retired SP Lt. A judge and a lawyer. And was one of the best professors I had. Those teachers were the direct result of the college hiring a CJ program director who had walked the walk and talked the talk. Sadly I don't know if there is much of that being done anymore

Some folk here are against hiring ex soldiers as cops, but potentially they do bring a lot to the job. They have generally seen a bit of life and walked in the the "real world" so to speak. Personally I wouldn't hire anybody under 30, and preferably an ex NCO which would hopefully ensure only people with the appropriate level of maturity would be taken on..
© 24hourcampfire