Home
Last Monday an Animal Control Officer showed up at my doorstep with a written warning about my dog barking. It supposedly happened the previous Saturday at 3:00 in the afternoon.

I was home on Saturday and it was a day like any another day with kids playing, dogs barking and nothing happened out of the ordinary. I was absolutely dumbfounded and perplexed about who in my neighborhood would have complained. I've lived here with my dog for almost five years, everybody gets along, and no one has ever complained.

I filed a request for who made the complaint and found out on Saturday that it was my neighbor two doors down. Sunday he was outside mowing the lawn so I decided to speak with him and give him a note with my name, address, and phone number along with a request to please call me if he or his wife has any problems with Scout barking.

Guess what? He didn't make the complaint. Somebody used his name to falsely file a complaint and Animal Protection is looking at their phone records with caller ID to find out who made the call.

Apparently it's a felony to falsely make a complaint and they consider it interfering with an Animal Control Officer's duties.

Somebody is in deep doo-doo.
Probably a low level employee somewhere....
Good. I hope whoever did it gets the screwing over he royally deserves.
People sure are cowards when it comes to this kinda schit.

My neighbor breeds hounds and every once in awhile they get a little happy in the middle of the night, He gets woke up wih a phone call shortly after I do and apologizes profusley and quites them down.

If I called the cops all the time they wouldn't have any time for the domestic disputs.
Well, I guess the fact one can get their tires cut ought to cut down on the number of dog disturbance calls coming in.
Well, congrats to you FH for taking responsibility and requesting he call you if the dogs a problem. I have contacted many dog owners over barking dogs and to this day have not had one yet that apologized or even quieted the dog no matter how nicely I asked them. Another thing to remember, there are crazy/weird neighbors in every neighborhood and the caller may just not be all there. But I guess he learned his lesson anyway....
Originally Posted by teal
Yep - and Issa's forming a committee to have hearings...

Although, what about this - he says he didn't do it.. So what if the AC folks do check their phone records and find out he DID call in with a different phone?

Can you follow up and find out the result FH?
Originally Posted by 12344mag

My neighbor breeds hounds and every once in awhile they get a little happy in the middle of the night, He gets woke up wih a phone call shortly after I do and apologizes profusley and quites them down.

If I called the cops all the time they wouldn't have any time for the domestic disputs.

You wouldn't believe how many people call the cops for barking dogs. People are sheep.
Originally Posted by Mac84
Originally Posted by 12344mag

You wouldn't believe how many people call the cops for barking dogs. People are sheep.
Well, to be fair, a dog barking after 10 pm when people are trying to sleep while leaving a window open for air is pretty darn irritating.. For a while we had a dog barking after that time and, even while a half-mile away, it would wake me up when the windows were open.. I think a person should be able to have windows open if they wish and not be disturbed by dogs that bark all night long..

I don't allow my dogs to bark outside after 10 pm - even though the one Boxer that usually does it has actually quite a low volume bark.. Neighbors should just use some common sense and keep their animals under control after dark..

FWIW...
I don't know your neighbor and if he is a straight up, then this should work it out

My first impression was he told you he didn't make the call because he thought you were about to kick his ass ( and he is also surprised that animal control gave you his name)
Exactly
Originally Posted by fish head
Sunday he was outside mowing the lawn so I decided to speak with him and give him a note with my name, address, and phone number along with a request to please call me if he or his wife has any problems with Scout barking.

I applaud the way you handled it.
Originally Posted by Redneck
a dog barking after 10 pm when people are trying to sleep while leaving a window open for air is pretty darn irritating.. For a while we had a dog barking after that time and, even while a half-mile away, it would wake me up when the windows were open.. I think a person should be able to have windows open if they wish and not be disturbed by dogs that bark all night long..

I've been down this path before- you do have a right to privacy and peace and quiet in your own home. Many towns and counties have established laws against private and/or public nuisance, and a lot of times they've been created because for this one very reason. Working it out with the dog owner is always the best approach.
There are some dog owners out there that couldn't care less who their barking dog(s) affects, and talking to them personally doesn't do a damn bit of good. In these cases, the only way to get their attention is to have someone from the law, remind them of the law.
Personally, I find the word 'neighbor' used far too loosely, and in a few cases, "good neighbor", a textbook oxymoron.
I probly would have put a flaming sack of excrement on his doorstep, but that's me. grin
I don't think folks should have to put up with a barking dog at any time, day or night. I don't mean a dog barking because a car pulled in the driveway. But a lonely dog barking for a length of time.

Just another reason I'm glad my nearest neighbor is a mile away. I used to live near a guy who had barking dogs and no amount of visiting or phone calls did any good. That is why some folks resort to calling the law.
Originally Posted by levrluvr
Originally Posted by Redneck
a dog barking after 10 pm when people are trying to sleep while leaving a window open for air is pretty darn irritating.. For a while we had a dog barking after that time and, even while a half-mile away, it would wake me up when the windows were open.. I think a person should be able to have windows open if they wish and not be disturbed by dogs that bark all night long..

I've been down this path before- you do have a right to privacy and peace and quiet in your own home. Many towns and counties have established laws against private and/or public nuisance, and a lot of times they've been created because for this one very reason. Working it out with the dog owner is always the best approach.
There are some dog owners out there that couldn't care less who their barking dog(s) affects, and talking to them personally doesn't do a damn bit of good. In these cases, the only way to get their attention is to have someone from the law, remind them of the law.
Personally, I find the word 'neighbor' used far too loosely, and in a few cases, "good neighbor", a textbook oxymoron.

I've got one to the North fits that bill.
Pizzes and whines about dogs running loose, but lets his four run loose day and night. They even come over and crap in my yard.
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I don't think folks should have to put up with a barking dog at any time, day or night.

Exactly, and I don't think a neighbor should have to personally call the dog owner to let them know their dog is barking. Can't they hear it too? A barking dog led David Berkowitz to start murdering people.
ive got a good neighbor but to be fair he was a friend in high school....my dogs cause issues sometimes but he just leans over the fence and lets me know.....but i also dont leave them out at night.....even my bird dog is kenneled inside so he doesnt spend all night barking....for the most part he doesnt complain bout noise they make during the day if i dont let them out to bark all night though there have been a few times when his boys were real sick he asked if i would keep the dogs in the house for the most part so he could rest easier and i ofcourse did so.....

Joel helps me, i help him and we get along great.....though i keep telling him he needs to feed his lil boys some growth hormone so i can start paying them to do my yard work laugh
When we built our first house in the country it was next to a guy who had his kennel in the back of his property and closer to our house than his. His 4 bird dogs barked all the time. I caught him out at the kennel one evening and mentioned his dogs barking. He ask me if I knew how to stop a dog from barking. I told him the I did since mine did not bark all night. He said try that. The next night I began the re-education of his dogs and after a few nights when my back porch light came on his dogs instantly shut up and after a week they rarely barked more then a few times. He was a good neighbor.

Perry
Originally Posted by PWN
When we built our first house in the country it was next to a guy who had his kennel in the back of his property and closer to our house than his. His 4 bird dogs barked all the time. I caught him out at the kennel one evening and mentioned his dogs barking. He ask me if I knew how to stop a dog from barking. I told him the I did since mine did not bark all night. He said try that. The next night I began the re-education of his dogs and after a few nights when my back porch light came on his dogs instantly shut up and after a week they rarely barked more then a few times. He was a good neighbor.

Perry

Just curious how you managed to get them to re-educate them??
Dogs create lots of problems around here. I have found a good fence is very helpful, and talking with people is vastly preferable to filing complaints.

Some dogs roam the area every day even though we have leash law that is county wide. If they get close enough I shoot them in the butt with a bb gun and they don't come back.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I probly would have put a flaming sack of excrement on his doorstep, but that's me. grin
and if you talk to many people with those dogs, that (or worse) is what you'll get. Best to let the police give a reminder.

I wonder if you call the police about a wild, noisy party at 2AM, do they let the people know who called on them?
Talking to a neighbor can get you in trouble too. All the neighbor would have to do is call the cops on you instead and claim you threatened him and the dog. NOPE...that is what cops and animal control are for.
So how do you train a dog not to bark at night?
Here's the deal ...

My neighbor that was listed did not call Animal Control. I'm 100% certain of that. He was pizzed off that somebody used his name to file a report and called Animal Control to inform them of that. They're sending, or have sent, an officer to his house so that he can sign a statement to that effect.

I want to find out who filed the complaint. If somebody in the neighborhood is having a problem with my dog I want know about it so that I can address the problem. If it's not somebody in the neighborhood then F'em. They deserve what they got coming.

Behind my house is a city storm drainage where people walk their dogs, kids ride skateboards, bicycles, etc ...

Every dog in the neighborhood barks when somebody goes by. It just what they do. I can only guess that it might be somebody that didn't like the sound of my dog's voice. He viciously barks but the whole time he wags his tail.

I will pursue it and find out when it becomes public knowledge. The thing is, I have no freakin' idea who it could be and it bothers me. I don't have any enemies.
laugh
I don't have any enemies.

I think you do now.
Not sure where you live, but cannot believe that a DA has nothing better to do than follow up on someone making a false animal complaint.

In our town you are supposed to film or record the problem animal just to make sure you aren't making false claims to hassle someone.

Buy your dog a $40 bark collar and everyone can live in peace.

I catch stray dogs ...then spray paint crosshairs... in chevy orange on both sides - then I turn them lose. I've never seen the same dog twice smile
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I catch stray dogs ...then spray paint crosshairs... in chevy orange on both sides - then I turn them lose. I've never seen the same dog twice smile

LOL
The Captain of Animal Control is the one that started the investigation and is pursuing this. It hasn't gone to a DA, yet.

You got to take into account that I live in the heart of nazi liberal Colorado.

I don't believe this is something worthy of a felony charge but that's how they feel about it. The other thing I found out during this fiasco is that here two strikes and you're out. It only takes one unverified phone complaint followed by one officer verified complaint and then you're issued a citation to appear in court and face a fine.

When I went to Animal Control to find out who the filed the complaint I had to pay $5.00 to get a copy of the report. Then I had to produce a picture ID to pick it up even though I had the original signed complaint in my hand.

I spoke to one of the supervisors there and asked them if someone has to produce a picture ID to file a complaint. Nope, all you have to do is drop a dime to rat somebody out.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with the way things are in Fort Collins. Colorado really is nazi liberal hell.
Seriously, shut your dog up and quit bitchin. Shut the dog up or get rid of it if you can't control it.
The Captain of Animal Control is the one that started the investigation and is pursuing this. It hasn't gone to a DA, yet.

I don't believe this is something worthy of a felony charge but that's how they feel about it. The other thing I found out during this fiasco is that here two strikes and you're out. It only takes one unverified phone complaint followed by one officer verified complaint and then you're issued a citation to appear in court and face a fine.

When I went to Animal Control to find out who the filed the complaint I had to pay $5.00 to get a copy of the report. Then I had to produce a picture ID to pick it up even though I had the original signed complaint in my hand.

I spoke to one of the supervisors there and asked them if someone has to produce a picture ID to file a complaint. Nope, all you have to do is drop a dime to rat somebody out.

This isn't the first time I've had issues with the way things are in Fort Collins. Colorado really is nazi liberal hell.

if its a 2 strikes and your out thing prolly a damn good thing your pursuing it.....
There's one other thing. The city recently passed new legislation that allows someone to anonymously rat out their neighbor. They're not required have their name listed on a complaint.

That's more that a little nazi-esq to me.
Seriously, shut your dog up and quit bitchin. Shut the dog up or get rid of it if you can't control it.

+1

Obviously different people have different levels of tolerance for dogs barking. That's why it's important to know your neighbors and to work out mutual understandings of what's acceptable if at all possible. I'm really surprised at the number of people who say call the cops first and don't talk to your neighbors. Those people must live in horrible places.

Generally speaking, barking dogs don't bother me, but I'm sure under some conditions a barking dog could keep me awake when I was trying to sleep and then I wouldn't be happy, but a dog barking during the day generally isn't going to bother me.

I don't think dogs barking briefly during the day are going to bother very many people; however, if someone in the neighborhood works the night shift, a dog barking during the day might bother him/her very much (understandable) - that's part of the reason it's important to know your neighbors.
There's one other thing. The city recently passed new legislation that allows someone to anonymously rat out their neighbor. They're not required have their name listed on a complaint.

It also protects legitimate people that complain against crazy people that let their dog bark w/o restraint. Same kinda people you don't want showing up on your doorstep and knowing you're the guy that complained about their stupid dog barking all night.

I think a lawyer might have something to say about that city legislation. Yes, an anonymous complaint can lead to a city employee checking out and independently assessing the situation, but there is no way under the Constitution that someone can file a complaint anonymously that leads to penalties without independent verification. For example, someone anonymously reporting a barking dog violation can't lead to prosecution unless it is independently observed by someone willing to testify in court; otherwise, there's no opportunity to confront your accuser in court, and our Constitution requires that safeguard.

Really? How would you have handled it?

Just to help you out if you haven't been able to read and comprehend what I've written ...

The first thing I did was find out who was having a problem with my dog.

I wrote a note with my name, address, and phone number and a request to please call me if my dog was bothering them. I wanted to resolve the problem by speaking to my neighbor.

He contacted Animal Control to inform them that someone had falsely used his name in filing a complaint.

I haven't done a thing since then and if you have a problem with how I handled the situation ... GFY.

I cant believe no one thought of this - someone wants you to not have a dog, a person planning to rob you would be likely to want to get rid of your dog.

I encourage my dog to investigate anything he wants to bark at. He is here to wake me when my property or life is threatened.
we happened to get "NEW" neighbors - unfortunately they have 3 "MUTTS" who want to bark at every sound. I can't even walk out in my back yard- without them all standing at the fence and barking.

I started by walking up the the fence and kick it hard and pretty much - "YELL' as loud as I can to shut the F up and go lay down . I started to piss on them thru the fence - - guess I needed to mark my territory--- much to my surprise they are now actually listening!!

I did have a polite conversation with the new neighbors but could tell , it went in one ear and out the other !

Now I know why I don't have neighbors. I'd hate to have a few of you [bleep] living next door to me.

I'd be God damned embarrassed if I ever called someone because of a barking dog, but I piss standing up.
I approached my neighbor 2 doors down about his dog yapping in the backyard for hours it was getting towards evening. I had finally had enough.

I do not know this guy and the fact that he has his ELDERLY Mother shovel snow should tell you something about him. She doesn't have some weird disorder that she likes to shovel snow:) I have talked to her and blew out the driveway behind HER car.

Back to the story. So I go over to his house and knock on the door. I hear the deadbolt move and nothing happens. I wait and knock again. The deadbolt moves again and the door opens a crack and I hear"YEAH". I asked him how long we were going to have to listen to his dog bark? he said" All night now". I believe I said as my veins in my forehead throbbed" Thats not going to happen ahole"
Well his dog continued to bark. I waited for awhile to see if he puled his head out of his keester.I normally don't call the Police for barking dogs but this was an act of self preservation. I knew if it didn't get handled. I was going to be in some sort of trouble. I apologized to the dispatcher when I called and asked her to pass it along to the Officer if she talked to him.

Not a huge deal but some people are truly inconsiderate. The older I get the less I am tolerating it. I am only 47 but should be a crotchety old bugger by 65:)

Bill
Yeah, I either feed the dog lead -or- an atomic hotdog and commit a felony...or let animal control handle it. When I called animal control they were appreciative and said the town was cracking down on barking dogs because it had become such a problem. I spoke to another neighbor that said they talked to the owners and the owners flipped out on them telling them this is the wild west, and that is what dogs do.
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback

I think a lawyer might have something to say about that city legislation. Yes, an anonymous complaint can lead to a city employee checking out and independently assessing the situation, but there is no way under the Constitution that someone can file a complaint anonymously that leads to penalties without independent verification. For example, someone anonymously reporting a barking dog violation can't lead to prosecution unless it is independently observed by someone willing to testify in court; otherwise, there's no opportunity to confront your accuser in court, and our Constitution requires that safeguard.

That's why it's always "the people" or "the state of" vs whoever. Right or wrong, they will prosecute on an anonymous call. But the responding officer will have to verify the infraction.

Longmont is not any better.

Few years back the not so nice city of Longmont CO came around to inform my son in law that the 1970 Chevelle that was parked in the drive way was a junk vehicle and needed removed or would be removed at owners expense in a certain amount of time that I do not recall. According to the city, since it was not currently licensed it fell under their junk ordanance and they had received a complaint. My SIL knows everyone in the neighborhood and spoke with all and came up with nothing.

Anyway, the car ran and was covered with a made to fit cover. So my son in law licensed the car and informed the city, al seemed ok for about six months. Then he relieved another notice that the car had not been moved and was again considered junk and violating their ordinances and thus was the second complaint. Looking up and down the street you could see many vehicles that
were covered/uncovered and had not moved forever. Again talking to neighbors finds none knowing anything and none of them have received notices for their unlicensed or stagnant cars. SIL goes to the city asking why he is being singled out and wants to know who the complaints have come from. In short, he is informed that they cant tell him that and he needs to comply with the notice. So after moving the car to my place it is about a week later he gets a knock on the door from a man that is interested in the car and wants to know if the SIL still owns it and if it is still available? SIL tells him that it is not. After said man leaves the neighbor across the street comes over and tells SIL that the man is the city planning director and after some two plus two the young kid that had been bugging the SIL for the better part of a year to sell him the car is this
mans son.

Guess what? He didn't make the complaint. Somebody used his name to falsely file a complaint and Animal Protection is looking at their phone records with caller ID to find out who made the call.

Apparently it's a felony to falsely make a complaint and they consider it interfering with an Animal Control Officer's duties.

Somebody is in deep doo-doo.

That's if you can believe your neighbor but it will come out in the wash.

It also protects legitimate people that complain against crazy people that let their dog bark w/o restraint. Same kinda people you don't want showing up on your doorstep and knowing you're the guy that complained about their stupid dog barking all night.

Your assumptions are dead wrong.

The complaint was on a Saturday at 3:00 in the afternoon. I don't let my dog bark unrestrained at night. He comes in the house at 8:30 or 9:00. He does what dogs do. He barks when there's something to bark at.

I've lived here with my dog for almost five years, I've spoke to everyone in the neighborhood, and no one has a problem with him. If they did I want to know about it so that aren't pizzed off.

According to Captain the person who made the complaint said that my dogs suffers from "separation anxiety" when I leave the house. It's total BS. I'm retired, I spend most of my time at home, and when I do leave my dog usually goes with me. It's the very rare occasion that he's left here alone and he pouts and stays put when I do leave.

Lastly, do my actions seem like that of a responsible or irresponsible pet owner?
Originally Posted by pira114

That's why it's always "the people" or "the state of" vs whoever. Right or wrong, they will prosecute on an anonymous call. But the responding officer will have to verify the infraction.

Yes, BUT the OP said the dog barking complaint would be a first offense under a "two strikes" ordinance (warning on first offense and penalty on second offense). An anonymous complaint (and it appears in this case the anonymous complaint law may not be in effect yet) can't be the first strike if it leads to some penalty for a subsequent offense. Therefore, a second strike that is in reality the first one that someone is willing to testify about in court would in reality be just the first strike if the first complaint was anonymous and not independently verified (delivering a complaint the following day would seem to indicate the original complaint was not verified by a city employee).

Now, that said, the dog barking ordinance could be re-written such that a first offense results in a penalty (and anonymous complaints would generate a warning that isn't considered a first strike), but if the ordinance remains one for which there is a penalty for a second offense, I don't see how constitutionally the first offense can be a first strike with the threat of a second offense/strike penalty if the first complaint is anonymous.
Don't forget we're talking about an ordinance. There's a lot of city and county ordinances that I feel fly in the face of the Constitution. Plus I was talking generalities, not specifically regarding the OP.

To that, it sounds like someone walking by got their panties in a bunch and are not man enough to even use their own name in a complaint. Let alone deal with it by talking.
Originally Posted by nathanial

Longmont is not any better.

Few years back the not so nice city of Longmont CO came around to inform my son in law that the 1970 Chevelle that was parked in the drive way was a junk vehicle and needed removed or would be removed at owners expense in a certain amount of time that I do not recall. According to the city, since it was not currently licensed it fell under their junk ordanance and they had received a complaint. My SIL knows everyone in the neighborhood and spoke with all and came up with nothing.

Anyway, the car ran and was covered with a made to fit cover. So my son in law licensed the car and informed the city, al seemed ok for about six months. Then he relieved another notice that the car had not been moved and was again considered junk and violating their ordinances and thus was the second complaint. Looking up and down the street you could see many vehicles that
were covered/uncovered and had not moved forever. Again talking to neighbors finds none knowing anything and none of them have received notices for their unlicensed or stagnant cars. SIL goes to the city asking why he is being singled out and wants to know who the complaints have come from. In short, he is informed that they cant tell him that and he needs to comply with the notice. So after moving the car to my place it is about a week later he gets a knock on the door from a man that is interested in the car and wants to know if the SIL still owns it and if it is still available? SIL tells him that it is not. After said man leaves the neighbor across the street comes over and tells SIL that the man is the city planning director and after some two plus two the young kid that had been bugging the SIL for the better part of a year to sell him the car is this
mans son.

Would not be a bit surprised if there was other corruption involved with that particular city employee. Would have been a good thing to tip off a responsible member of the local media so he/she could be looking for other improprieties.
FWIW,

The Captain said they would remove the complaint once my neighbor signs the statement indicating that it wasn't him that made the phone call. I talk to him all the time, we get along fine, and he's more pizzed off about it than I am.

The Officer that delivered the written complaint, which I had to sign, said it's not normal for them to act on a complaint if it's not from somebody in the vicinity. It has to be somebody that's living nearby for them to consider it a nuisance.

I got to say that I'm disappointed by the character assaults. If my dog was causing a problem, I'd man up, take care of it, and that's exactly what I tried to do before I found out it was a BS complaint.

I'm not whining about it. I thought it was an interesting story considering the way it's unfolded.
you must live in mayberry rfd if you get that kind of investigation out of the dog police. most places don't even do much more than file paperwork for holding up a 7/11.
FWIW,

The Captain said they would remove the complaint once my neighbor signs the statement indicating that it wasn't him that made the phone call. I talk to him all the time, we get along fine, and he's more pizzed off about it than I am.

The Officer that delivered the written complaint, which I had to sign, said it's not normal for them to act on a complaint if it's not from somebody in the vicinity. It has to be somebody that's living nearby for them to consider it a nuisance.

I got to say that I'm disappointed by the character assaults. If my dog was causing a problem, I'd man up, take care of it, and that's exactly what I tried to do before I found out it was a BS complaint.

I'm not whining about it. I thought it was an interesting story considering the way it's unfolded.

More than the complaint, I'd worry about glass in hamburger coming over the fence. Keep your eves and ears open.
I despise barking dogs, and the owners that allow it.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
So how do you train a dog not to bark at night?

Kick the living [bleep] out of it every time it opens it's yap.
...but a rolled up newspaper is best when starting from pup age, doesn't hurt and gets the message across very well.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I despise barking dogs, and the owners that allow it.

This^^^^
Some unknown person accused the dog of barking.
Doesn't mean it's true.
Why not give Jeff and Scout a bit of a break?

Lastly, do my actions seem like that of a responsible or irresponsible pet owner?

Yeah, if you piss off people with your dog and then get mad at the person filing the complaint, you're acting like an A-Hole and you need to get control of your dog and your intellect. Is that really difficult to get through your cranium? You are literally ruining the quality of their lives and devaluing their investment and the entire neighborhood with your selfish indulgence of a dog. If you can't take responsibility for your dog you shouldn't have one. No personal offense, but you need to get your head wrapped around the concept of responsibility for the dogs behaviour.
And you need to get your head around the idea that very likely his dog WASN'T barking at 3pm.
Sounds like it's a normal occurance, by his own admission, from OP-

"...Saturday and it was a day like any another day with kids playing, dogs barking and nothing happened out of the ordinary"

So who has no comprehension?
And you need to get your head around the idea that very likely his dog WASN'T barking at 3pm.

Dogs dont bark at 3 pm?

Bullshit. Fuggin total bullshit.
I fail to see where it was HIS dog listed as barking. Dogs - PLURAL, OP has said he has A dog. Do you understand the difference and how this would apply to his situation?

Dogs dont bark at 3 pm?

Bullshit. Fuggin total bullshit.

Again - DOGS barking not HIS DOG barking.
Nobody files a complaint on a silent dog.

Nobody.
Hey look, sounds like he thinks his dog barking isn't a big deal, but someone somewhere disagrees, or so it seems. It also sounds like he's in denial, like how could anyone not appreciate my dog? And how am I supposed to train it? Come on man, your dog barks, stop it.

Nobody.

Bullchit 100% right there because I've done it myself. Not so much the dog but the owner. Failure to curb - leaving their chit in my yard. Here's the clincher - I wasn't a pansy [bleep] that gave a false name.

And again - I'll type is slower for you - He mentioned DOGS barking in the neighborhood that day - a week prior to receiving the notice. There is no way to know with certainty that HIS dog was the one causing the ruckus that someone complained about.

Even if it was - even if this dog never shut up and was just a damned demon it doesn't change the fact someone was too much of a coward to admit they're the one's with an issue and I'm guessing the person "complaining" didn't realize that the OP could request to find out whom had the issue.

When you lie about who you are and throw some other guy's name on the report or are so inaccurate with your own name - the rest of the report is in question and the accuracy of just what or whose dog was going apechit.

I guess I just don't separate the lying coward that filed from the data in the file. One's bad - the whole thing is bad.

And you can't blame a dog for being a dog. They bark at times. That's why people HAVE them - to bark when things that shouldn't go down. OP states never had an issue in 5 years prior - guessing Scout's not a habitual howler - something caused him to bark (or not as the case may most likely be). 3pm and barks a few times - suck it up.

Nobody.

I file on loose growlers. smile
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Now I know why I don't have neighbors. I'd hate to have a few of you [bleep] living next door to me.

Nobody.

Thats BS and you know it. There are all sorts of AHOLES out there that have nothing better to do. Probabaly some PETA ahole or other LIBTARD obama voter.

Bill
You boys have a good supper. My dog won't be keeping anybody on edge today. Who'da thunk it was possible with a yappy Jack Russell?

Yeah, if you piss off people with your dog and then get mad at the person filing the complaint, you're acting like an A-Hole and you need to get control of your dog and your intellect.

LOOK AZZHOLE ...

Read the entire [bleep] thread and put into quotes where I've said that I'm pizzed off at the person that made the complaint.

I've lived here with my dog for five years and no one ever has ever complained to Animal Control about my dog. I know everyone, they know me, and they know my dog. We all get along just fine. I have a dog and he barks just like every other dog in the neighborhood. Less than some, more than others and never at night when people go to bed.

What part of that don't you [bleep] understand?

Who's the chickenschit MF'er in this? The azzhole that made a false complaint using somebody else's name or is it me who was concerned enough to find who it was so that I could peacefully resolve the situation?

With that said ... GFY. I won't debate with azzholes who have no [bleep] clue about the neighborhood I live in, who I am, or what my beliefs are.
Originally Posted by RWE

I think you do now.

Yep
The thief that wants your dog gone so they can rob you.
Barkin' dogs don't bother me.

Chittin' dogs do.

There's this old man down the road who has gone around the bend.

He wears plaid shorts and long white socks with garters,....got one'nem butterfly dogs that he's always walkin' here and there.

Well,....it thinks my front yard is a dog turd museum, or somethin,.....always stops here,...hunkers up and pinches one off right in my damn petunias while the old man stares off into space muttering about a USO tour he attended back in '44, and chit.

Anybody who wants to can call the law on both of 'em as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, if you piss off people with your dog and then get mad at the person filing the complaint, you're acting like an A-Hole and you need to get control of your dog and your intellect.

LOOK AZZHOLE ...

Read the entire [bleep] thread and put into quotes where I've said that I'm pizzed off at the person that made the complaint.

I've lived here with my dog for five years and no one ever has ever complained to Animal Control about my dog. I know everyone, they know me, and they know my dog. We all get along just fine. I have a dog and he barks just like every other dog in the neighborhood. Less than some, more than others and never at night when people go to bed.

What part of that don't you [bleep] understand?

Who's the chickenschit MF'er in this? The azzhole that made a false complaint using somebody else's name or is it me who was concerned enough to find who it was so that I could peacefully resolve the situation?

With that said ... GFY. I won't debate with azzholes who have no [bleep] clue about the neighborhood I live in, who I am, or what my beliefs are.

Feel better? Hey, you started this with someone complained about my dog and my suggestion is to control your dog. Real tough to figure out. I guess when the going gets tough, the tough start swearing when someone disagrees with them. And for the record, I didn't call you an Azzhole, but I did say you were acting like one.

LOOK AZZHOLE ...

put into quotes where I've said that I'm pizzed off at the person that made the complaint.

"azzhole that made a false complaint"

There, put it in quotes for you. Yeah, I can see you're not pissed at the guy.
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by RWE

I think you do now.

Yep

There's only one other person that owns gun at my end of the neighborhood. Everyone else, for the most part, is a puzzy liberal dem.

The good thing is I have a dog that barks when there's something to bark at and I can assure you that no one is going to rob me. My home is last place anyone would [bleep] with and besides that I live in an area that has zero crime or as close to it as you can possibly get.

No one has any fears about taking a walk after dinner, kids playing after dark, riding a bike, or leaving their garage door open. Nothing, nada, no concerns whatsoever about anything crime related.

That's the one good part about living in a nicer middle class segment of liberal hell Colorado. smile

LOOK AZZHOLE ...

put into quotes where I've said that I'm pizzed off at the person that made the complaint.

"azzhole that made a false complaint"

There, put it in quotes for you. Yeah, I can see you're not pissed at the guy.

You got it right. That was first time but I might have been a little pizzed off with you when I wrote it. I made you read the entire thread again though. grin

Wanna come visit?
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by RWE

I think you do now.

Yep

There's only one other person that owns gun at my end of the neighborhood. Everyone else, for the most part, is a puzzy liberal dem.

The good thing is I have a dog that barks when there's something to bark at and I can assure you that no one is going to rob me. My home is last place anyone would [bleep] with and besides that I live in an area that has zero crime or as close to it as you can possibly get.

No one has any fears about taking a walk after dinner, kids playing after dark, riding a bike, or leaving their garage door open. Nothing, nada, no concerns whatsoever about anything crime related.

That's the one good part about living in a nicer middle class segment of liberal hell Colorado. smile

Where I live if someone complained about your barking dog. You could be pretty certain that it would be someone scoping you out for the deed.
To many people have dogs that bark all night long and even though you do not get use to it. It is one of the things that you put up with.
Fireball,

Here's your next assignment ...

Read the entire thread, again, and put into quotes where I've said that I wouldn't take measures to stop my dog from being a nuisance.
If my dog don't bark at something that needs barked at when its outside I'm firing their asses. If my neighbors need barked at so be it as my dogs are good judges of character....sure am glad I don't live in town....
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Barkin' dogs don't bother me.

Chittin' dogs do.

There's this old man down the road who has gone around the bend.

He wears plaid shorts and long white socks with garters,....got one'nem butterfly dogs that he's always walkin' here and there.

Well,....it thinks my front yard is a dog turd museum, or somethin,.....always stops here,...hunkers up and pinches one off right in my damn petunias while the old man stares off into space muttering about a USO tour he attended back in '44, and chit.

Anybody who wants to can call the law on both of 'em as far as I'm concerned.

One of the neighbors cows got out the other day and shat in the driveway. That don't bother me none but if they showed up to drive their cows home wearin' what your ole boy does things could get dicey....
Originally Posted by JSTUART
...but a rolled up newspaper is best when starting from pup age, doesn't hurt and gets the message across very well.

You know, that's how I did it with a golden retriever back in my early days. Pretty much cost me one night's sleep laying by the door and bailing out with that rolled up newspaper, but he figured it out. And that was that.
What part of this don't some of you understand?

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
a good trained dog should not bark but once in a great while and only a couple barks unless hes trained to bark for a reason
Rig up a water hose in the house to a sprinkler by the dog pen. When fido starts barking at the moon, versus a prowler, hit the faucet a few seconds. The dog will learn not bark unless really agitated or fearful.
If you can't tell the difference in a serious bark and a racket from your mut, the dog needs an owner smarter than it is.

I always talk to my dogs and they can learn what they are supposed to do by inflection. A decent dog wants to please. When they prefer their way a swat to the butt is good to let them know you mean business. A good training aid is a length of cane split lengthwise three or four times and almost to the handle. The split prices are thin and rattle loudly together with a swat without being stiff enough to hurt.

Originally Posted by Ralphie
I don't think folks should have to put up with a barking dog at any time, day or night. I don't mean a dog barking because a car pulled in the driveway. But a lonely dog barking for a length of time.

Just another reason I'm glad my nearest neighbor is a mile away. I used to live near a guy who had barking dogs and no amount of visiting or phone calls did any good. That is why some folks resort to calling the law.

Amen! I don't let my dog keep on barking, regardless of time.
Last Monday an Animal Control Officer showed up at my doorstep with a written warning about my dog barking...

Originally Posted by Czech_Made
Sunday he was outside mowing the lawn so I decided to speak with him and give him a note with my name, address, and phone number along with a request to please call me if he or his wife has any problems with Scout barking.

BS.

I have no respect for a man who lets his dogs bark until his neighbor is forced to either confront him or call the police.
Originally Posted by pal
Last Monday an Animal Control Officer showed up at my doorstep with a written warning about my dog barking...

Originally Posted by Czech_Made

BS.

I have no respect for a man who lets his dogs bark until his neighbor is forced to either confront him or call the police.

If the neighbors aren't bothered by dogs barking some on a Saturday afternoon (and it appears there are a number of dogs in the neighborhood), then who cares if the dog is barking? The OP hadn't had any complaints about his dog barking in the five years he has lived in the neighborhood. After five years of no complaints, why should the OP have thought the level of barking on that Saturday was unacceptable?

Dogs bark - that's a fact of life. The level of barking that's acceptable - that's what neighbors communicating establishes.

I know of a family that would NEVER complain about a neighborhood beagle barking under any circumstances, but if they heard a couple barks from another type of dog, they were immediately on the phone. That family had owned beagles and obviously had a soft spot for beagles. Just one example of how people can be a little strange when it comes to dogs.

^^This ^^

Welcome to frickin' Sandymanginaville...
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
A barking dog led David Berkowitz to start murdering people.

goldang, I'm gonna have to keep a close eye on my dog mushing friends! whistle

Elf, step away from the gun! eek

David B. murdered folks cause he was a mentally disturbed freak job, he just blamed it on barking dogs.

You'd think if that was the case he'd have murdered dogs, not folks trying to get a lil action in their cars.
Just to help you out if you haven't been able to read and comprehend what I've written ...

The first thing I did was find out who was having a problem with my dog.

I wrote a note with my name, address, and phone number and a request to please call me if my dog was bothering them. I wanted to resolve the problem by speaking to my neighbor.

He contacted Animal Control to inform them that someone had falsely used his name in filing a complaint.

Some folks are very inconsiderate of others re the actions of their pets, but equally on the opposite side of the coin some folks are A-holes who complain at the drop of the hat.

Sounds like you are a responsible dog owner and a person who wants to be a good neighbor.

I have "inherited" a young Cocker Spaniel with more than a few problems I am trying to get straightened out..I am slowly getting there, but I have to be mindful that he can be a PITA to the neighbors with his barking and crying. He has settled to the point of spending nights in a large dog crate without barking, and now I am working on getting him used to being outside in a run without him kicking up a racket..

I have explained this to my neighbors and they are being very patient about the whole thing, but I realize I can only impinge on their good will for so long..
Originally Posted by Pete E

I have explained this to my neighbors and they are being very patient about the whole thing, but I realize I can only impinge on their good will for so long..

There's a responsible dog owner. Good attitude. We're all in the fishbowl together, gotta work together.

Wanna come visit?

Colorado? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Besides, I don't think I'd like your dog or suburbia! grin grin grin I like livin' in the sticks.

+1 I have 13 acres myself just so I don't have to listen to my neighbors [bleep] or fight. My dog barks when all is not right, I've learned to pay att'n to it ,kind like a alarm system that runs real cheap. Magnum Man
More liberal logic, it isn't the barking dog's fault, it isn't the owner's fault, is the rest of the world's fault for living in a neighborhood and not on a ranchette.

Here is a newsflash...nobody finds your pet as endearing as you do.
Never said it was anyone's fault, I just don't want to live next to a bunch of folks that sit to piss.
Bet it was the neighbors wife that called in the complaint.
Is she a 24/7/365 housewife?
Originally Posted by okie

One of the neighbors cows got out the other day and shat in the driveway. That don't bother me none but if they showed up to drive their cows home wearin' what your ole boy does things could get dicey....

It sure does get dicey when you get that stuff between your toes when you step in it. Been there done that you haven't lived unless you've had to go into a 100x100 foot pen with fifty or hundred head of steers in the pen being fattened up for the packing plant and sinking up to your knees leaving one of your boots in the muck and having to go pearl diving to retrieve the boot.
what's funny about this thread to me, is we have trained our dogs to bark. We leave the front door open which goes to a grated walkway where the pups can see out. They bark when they see someone approaching the house. They also bark inside the house and go on alert if they here something at night not quite right. Good burgler alarm. Never had a problem with the neighbors, their dogs do it to.
use a knife to split the dogs tongue, and it will talk like a bird.
I filed a request for who made the complaint and found out on Saturday that it was my neighbor...
I decided to speak with him...
Guess what? He didn't make the complaint. Somebody used his name to falsely file a complaint...
Apparently it's a felony to falsely make a complaint...

BS.

I have no respect for a man who lets his dogs bark until his neighbor is forced to either confront him or call the police. [/quote]

... After five years of no complaints, why should the OP have thought the level of barking on that Saturday was unacceptable?...

After 5 years of listening to his dog bark, his neighbor finally couldn't take it any more and called LE. Then, rather than taking care of the barking problem, he instead chose to confront his neighbor, who denied making the complaint. Now he's calling the complainer a felon. crazy
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Originally Posted by okie

It sure does get dicey when you get that stuff between your toes when you step in it. Been there done that you haven't lived unless you've had to go into a 100x100 foot pen with fifty or hundred head of steers in the pen being fattened up for the packing plant and sinking up to your knees leaving one of your boots in the muck and having to go pearl diving to retrieve the boot.

I have fond memories of standing in steaming cowpats during winter when I was a lad...there is a lot to said about a fresh cowpat when your bare toes are cold.
Originally Posted by pal

After 5 years of listening to his dog bark, his neighbor finally couldn't take it any more and called LE. Then, rather than taking care of the barking problem, he instead chose to confront his neighbor, who denied making the complaint. Now he's calling the complainer a felon. crazy

It's all evened out now as far as I'm concerned.

I just threw nine balloons filled with Round-Up over the fence into the felon's yard.

grin grin grin ... laugh laugh laugh ... crazy crazy crazy
Originally Posted by pal
I filed a request for who made the complaint and found out on Saturday that it was my neighbor...
I decided to speak with him...
Guess what? He didn't make the complaint. Somebody used his name to falsely file a complaint...
Apparently it's a felony to falsely make a complaint...

BS.

... After five years of no complaints, why should the OP have thought the level of barking on that Saturday was unacceptable?...

After 5 years of listening to his dog bark, his neighbor finally couldn't take it any more and called LE. Then, rather than taking care of the barking problem, he instead chose to confront his neighbor, who denied making the complaint. Now he's calling the complainer a felon. crazy [/quote]
---------------------------
Pal,

Despite your indicating I wrote it by "quoting" me, I didn't write "I applaud the way you handle it." Of course, you have missed some other key details in this thread, too.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
what's funny about this thread to me, is we have trained our dogs to bark. We leave the front door open which goes to a grated walkway where the pups can see out. They bark when they see someone approaching the house. They also bark inside the house and go on alert if they here something at night not quite right. Good burgler alarm. Never had a problem with the neighbors, their dogs do it to.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

All night long?
Never said it was anyone's fault, I just don't want to live next to a bunch of folks that sit to piss.

Holy schitt no doubt, talk about the pussification of 'Merica. Jesus.
Originally Posted by pal

It's all evened out now as far as I'm concerned.

I just threw nine balloons filled with Round-Up over the fence into the felon's yard.

grin grin grin ... laugh laugh laugh ... crazy crazy crazy

I will assume you are trying to be funny.
© 24hourcampfire