Home
After seeing the second in a few days I thought this might be appropriate.

Our Lab we had as a kid once ate 12 hardboiled colored easter eggs mom had "hidden"!

My first Lab, Krista ate some trout off the grill one time. About 4-5 of them IIRC.

My present Lab, Jenny got an entire loaf of bread one time.

I guess these tales our pretty mild compared to some others!

How about yours?

We had a cocker/Pomeranian mix that went everywhere with Dad. She would often be left in the car with bags of groceries while Dad ran other errands. She never once touched anything. There was one time when someone picked Dad up walking home from uptown. Knowing that this was not something that he did, they inquired about it. He sheepishly admitted that he had left his keys in the ignition and the dog had apparently locked all of the doors jumping around to see who was walking by, so he was headed home for a spare set. Another time, I was going past our local drive-in, and there sat Dad, listening to the Twins on the radio, eating an ice cream cone and holding another for the dog. While I was watching, he absent-mindedly took a lick from the dog's cone. She looked at him with the most hurt expression.
Had a lab that ate a bacon grease covered brillo pad. And a cocker spaniel who used to eat road apples in the horse pasture
My golden ate a hole through the dry wall out to the siding in my bathroom.
My beagle routinely eats pine cones. Chews is more the appropriate word, but there ain't nothing left when he's done.

But the one time I worried, we came home to a huge mess of garbage he had gotten into. In that garbage was half a can of coffee grounds. Called the vet and he said just keep an eye on him for a few hours. That dog had the runs for a day or so but no other negative side effects. I thought for sure that was gonna cost me a trip in.
Cat [bleep] sandwich
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

Our Lab we had as a kid once ate 12 hardboiled colored easter eggs mom had "hidden"!

My first Lab, Krista ate some trout off the grill one time. About 4-5 of them IIRC.

How about yours?

Larry, I remember you telling the hard boiled egg story before, than gas had to be aweful!
Originally Posted by rchery59
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

How about yours?

Larry, I remember you telling the hard boiled egg story before, than gas had to be aweful!

"Cool Hand Lab"
When I was about 15 mom had the preacher and his wife over for Sunday dinner. She had fried a mountain of her famous chicken and it was piled up on a platter on the dinning room table. We were all sitting outside waiting for the guests to arrive. When we went in our GSP was up on the table scarfing fried bird as fast as he could go. Must have eaten about 2 chickens before we could stop him.
My beagle thoroughly enjoys a nice piece of dried branch from one of the Pin Oaks on a daily basis....there's never anything left and her teeth are perfect.
Wood chips and palm dates!
Camped out hunting at Christmas holidays with my college bud in east texas once. We had to break ice to bathe in a slough in Piney Creek bottom. My pointer got in the ice chest and ate a couple pounds of grandmothers sour cream butter. We didn't know it until we went to bed that night and found it up-chucked in the dead center of Arnies sleeping bag.

Hot damned that was funny -to me.
Of my four dogs, it is hard to imagine anything that Boo and Doodle won't eat.
[Linked Image]
My mom's lab has eaten a 10 lb honey ham, off the counter, as well as a box of Decon, never got sick.
When I was a flooring dealer, a customer locked a Golden Retriever in the bathroom and it ripped up the linoleum then ate a big section of it.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Cat [bleep] sandwich

We call them kitty snickers laugh
My heeler loves chasing anything you will throw. He will pull the cover off of a baseball and eat the entire ball, cover and all in about 10 min. He is about halfway through a "unbreakable" kong ball right now but its taken about a year. Once he gets a little nick in it, it goes significantly faster.

Shared a house once with a guy whose year-old yellow lab ate a bait worm, fish hook and a couple of feet of nylon line.

Those bird dogs do love string, don't they?
A friend of mine that is a vet says when a person starts a story "....my dog ate..." her immediate assumption is Lab.

They are stomachs on legs.

405wcf
Had a Cocker named Maggie that ate fiberglass insulation one time plus forever eating tinfoil out of the trash and a Corgi named Brownie that would eat the kids crayons at every chance he got.
Brought home a nice jumbo yellow perch back in February and was getting ready to fillet it, but when I looked for it where I'd left it in the snow it was missing. A little searching turned up part of it - the rear third was missing and my dog was wearing a guilty expression. I ended up filleting it anyway and giving her the meat. smile

I was more than a little surprised by her behavior. Normally I can leave her home alone for 10+ hours with a bag of trash in the kitchen and she won't touch it at all.
I bought 2 papa murphy family size stuff crust pizzas..uncooked I layed them on the hood of my trk and started in on our evenings beers ...came out to 2 empty pizza pans! and his (stupidest lab known top man btw) he was a big round pig as the yeast worked him over.. I cussed him out...a while latter he barfed up the biggest pizza I've seen to date! the dumb asz sob never learned at thing...still a box of rocks!
D-con and beer cans...
One time our lab ate 4 lbs of fudge out of the Christmas baskets we make each year, cellophane and all. Someone told me one time Chocolate can kill a dog, but ours must be superman (dog) - other than the 3 days of runs he had afterwards....
Originally Posted by 5sdad

"Cool Hand Lab"

grin

first thing I thought of!

"My boy can eat 50 eggs"
Originally Posted by bbassi
One time our lab ate 4 lbs of fudge out of the Christmas baskets we make each year, cellophane and all. Someone told me one time Chocolate can kill a dog, but ours must be superman (dog) - other than the 3 days of runs he had afterwards....

I thought mine was invinceable when he ate a pound and a half of fudge. He's a lightweight

Click it!

It's worth a minute of time.
Someone did a pretty good job with this. smile

Someone told me one time Chocolate can kill a dog ....

I've been hearing that all my life, even from vets, and I'm not buying it.

Every dog I ever knew of, at least once in its life, ate a 1/2 pound (or more) of chocolate and not a single one of them ever died from it.
My two labs have eaten several things including my wife's favorite baseball cap, my favorite baseball cap, a beefsteak tomato, three green peppers, about half a stapler off my desk, a cube of butter stolen out of the refrigerator, several tenis balls, a couple of the guaranteed indestructible Kong toys, the top off an apple pie my wife was baking in the thirty seconds or so she wasn't watching and a cantaloupe - the whole thing. I've probably forgotton a thing or two.

I can't recall they've been terribly sick over any of this.
I have owned GSP's all my life. Here are the ones I remember:

1. An entire blanket. Must have gotten bored in her kennel that night, in the morning it was gone. I figured it was in the laundry and thought nothing of it. Later, she started gagging and out of her mouth dangles a corner of the blanket. In order to keep her from suffocating I had to pull it hand over hand out of her. Ran it through the wash and it was pretty much good as new.

2. About 2/3 of a bottle of phenobarbitol. I believe it was a months supply. Showed no reaction, ever.

3. A beef roast she swiped off the cutting board while my mom wasn't looking. Mom chased her around until she could hardly walk. Once she had mom tired out, she ate the whole thing.

4. My buddy's duck stamp at 3 A.M. just before we were going to walk out the door to start setting up decoys. He drove all night from Nebraska and got here just in time. He was organizing everything to make sure he was legal and dropped the duck stamp. Dog snapped it up before either of us could react. He couldn't hunt until the post office opened later in the day.

5. Live frogs. Actually, she didn't really eat them, she liked to carry them around and suck on them. Whenever we were at my parents lake cabin she would catch a frog and carry it around for an hour or so, legs dangling out of her mouth. Frog flavor must only last an hour, because about then she would spit it out and go catch a fresh one.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Every dog I ever knew of, at least once in its life, ate a 1/2 pound (or more) of chocolate and not a single one of them ever died from it.

I've always suspected that little lie came from some fat bishes that took offense to us guys feeding our best friend their midnight snacks. grin
apparently it's dark chocolate which can kill a dog.
As a kid I can remember my dad going to the news stand every Sunday morning to get the paper with our dog in tow and every Sunday he got said dog a Hershey bar.
When my dog was just a pup she ate an entire plate of brownies, I was sure she was gonna die from all the chocolate but she pulled through.

On the other end of the delicious spectrum in the middle of winter my septic had backed up and was coming out of the cleanout. I hadn't been out back for a few weeks so didn't notice. Anyways the dog went out back and decided she was going to help clean up. Wouldn't have been such a problem if she didn't come inside and [bleep] puke on my white carpet. sick nastiest think I have every had the displeasure of cleaning up, ended up ripping up the carpet...
my beagle puppy has eaten anything and everything. my favorites were 4 cell phones, cat chit, shoes, toothbrushes, used maxipads---ugh---12 chicken bones (same time), trim from our wall, bugs, carpet, plastic BBs from airsoft guns, wood, socks, a blanket- in pieces, a kitten (when the cat had them we could not find her but the beagle did....ewww.

she also climbed my dresser somehow and grabbed a bottle of throat spray- the fluorescent green kind- and chewed it open on my new WHITE bedroom carpet.

i have caught her several times carrying lightbulbs around, as well as my glasses and a razor blade which i have no idea where she got.

best one? she stole a bottle of peroxide off the counter and ate a lot of it and drank it too. you guys with dogs know what happened next. i woke up to a dozen piles of puke. lol you'd think that would have taught her a lesson but noooo

deep breath....

...the carpet she could reach outside her cage, remote controls, extension cords, shoelaces, a baseball, a throwrug, coins, cat litter, rope, mulch, bark off trees, drywall...
2 $20 bills...
Having owned beagles and labs all my life-boy have I got stories!
My black lab Shane ate a shovel handle. Not just a chunk of it-the entire handle. I'm firmly convinced he'd have eaten the blade too if he could have figured out how.

My chocolate lab Hunter sniped a big steak off the dining room table right before dinner.

Our beagles used to eat all those chicken bones they've always told us not to feed them. Never an ill effect.

My buddy had a hunting basset. Laziest damned hunting dog I ever worked with. When Ned decided he was done, he just laid down right in the middle of the field and expected to be carried out. Every try to carry a fat basset? It's like trying to carry a 4 foot long bag of potatoes. Damned dog wouldn't run for anything-except if he got his chops on a sandwich or other lunch goodies. You'd swear that dog had been shot of of a cannon and zapped with a cattle prod at the same time.

My buddy's golden really like hunting pheasants. Problem was he really like eating them too. You'd better beat the dog to the downed bird or you didn't get it.

My chocolate lab ate an entire football one time. Must have been tasty. He had one of these balls the kids used to sit on and bounce all over the place-you know-the big one with the molded D ring on it to hang on to. He'd grab that ball by that d-ring and shake it from side to side just beating himself senseless with it. He finally popped it and.....you guessed it-ate the entire thing.
My old lab Tank was a stomach on legs. Years ago, when my ex-wife and I were in college, I had roasted a few pheasants for supper. After eating, we cleaned up and set the roaster at the back of the counter to cool while we both went to a night class. When we returned home a couple of hours later, ol' Tank had cleaned up the roaster. It was on the floor in the kitchen, 2 pheasants gone and a quart of gravy as well. That night he layed a slick of the most disgusting diarrhea I've ever seen from one end of that trailer to the other. Being broke college students we were at a loss as to what we should do to fix the problem. I cleaned and scrubbed for hours and it still smelled bad, so off to rent a carpet cleaner we went. That did it, clean and good smelling right away. When we were gone returning the carpet machine he did it all over again. The ex went after him down the hall, a few seconds later she came screaming back down the hall with Tank on her heals pretty pizzed off. I guess he wasn't in any mood to take her [bleep] when his belly was hurting. I laugh about it every time I think of it.

Another time he ate two pumpkin pies off the counter that my mom had made for Thanksgiving. She wasn't at all impressed with him for quite some time.

I could tell stories of the chit that dog ate for a long time. He just never quit consuming everthing that struck his fancy. Even twisted his stomach one time. Not sure that had anything to do with his eating habits, but it was an interesting experience. Hauled him to the vet at 1am and had to help with the surgery. He ate one tablespoon of wet dog food a day for a month after the surgery. Went from 100lbs down to maybe 70 - looked like death. Two months after the surgery you couldn't even tell it had happened.
My lab pup ate a pound of raw bacon once. She kept me up for a couple of days and nights running her outside as THAT rumbled through her system.

And I had a Cocker that had Cushing's Disease later in life and he ate an entire roll of paper towels. I thought it was going to kill him.
The Rottweiler trotted up to me one day, happily chewing on something metal. I shove my hands in her mouth, trying to retrieve it. No dice, she swallows it. I tell the then-wife, who a few hours later takes her to the vet, who take x-rays, sticks them on the viewer, and the wife says...

"that's my jewelry box key!!!!"

The next day, I recovered the brass key, which had turned an interesting rainbow of colors smirk
Our Springer Lucy once ate a road flare and some fiberglass insulation without a hint of a problem. The only evidence was the plastic striker cap. A couple years later, she and our other Springer Rambo paired up at my inlaws to eat a whole bag of Hershey kisses. That got them real sick, not to mention the shiny tinfoil pieces hanging out their south ends for a few days......

...an earring, a seatbelt, a holster, a couple belts, all the buttons off several dress shirts, electrical cord from my lamp, my tumbler, a couple plastic cups, countless book pages, a couple scented candles, lip gloss, my pill container (damn lucky she didn't get the pills out!)...lol
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
used maxipads---ugh--

toss in a couple chitty diapers and it sounds like my house, all in the same day too. And its a little "almost a real dog"
My lab was the best hunting dog I have ever hunted behind for field or water. However, he ate the all of the trim from around our patio, a garden hose he chewed in two as a puppy and I left in the yard to see if he would eat the rest of it, a few solid rubber retrieving dummies, the better part of a wooden dog house and a wooden porch swing and the wooden window trim in the back yard, copper lines to our a/c unit, dozens of Frisbees and golf balls when we lived near a golf course and Frisbee course and an entire 5 pound bag of Bil-Jac dog food my hunting buddy had stored in a compartment of his hunting trailer he put my dog in for 5 minutes as we traveled from one hunting area to another. And this from a dog that was exercised nearly every day for the first 8 years of his life. He is why I laugh and cry like a baby when I watch Marley and Me.

My current GSP will kill and eat every stray cat she comes across. I blame my daughter's cats because they used to beat the crap out of the dog when she was a puppy. I guess she is still getting even.

Perry
I just thought of another. It wasn't my dog but I saw the aftermath........a friends Brittney ate a used condom.

They had to assist in the removal late the next day..........ughhh.
I think I have pics of a door my lab ate a hole in when I left her one time back in the 80's. I'll search it out....
...two couches, a chair, a million pens/pencils, part of my weatherby vanguard stock, game pieces, a couple fitted sheets...

i keep remembering new things i came home to find...

I've always suspected that little lie came from some fat bishes that took offense to us guys feeding our best friend their midnight snacks. grin

its real chocolate thats the problem, not the highly processed chocolate flavored sugar in most candy....the issue is an alkaloid called theobromine and its actually toxic to humans aswell dogs are just more sensitive to it than we are....the farther you get from raw unsweetened bakers chocolate the less of it there is....

so high quality dark chocolate/bakers chocolate will kill your dog, the real cheap arse easter candy prolly has nearly none.....its also found in tea, real cola and acai berries(these seem to be one of the new "in" super foods)
One useless great mongrel of my mothers ate an old rotten eeg a couple of months ago...it took two miserable days to die and the vet could not keep it alive.

It was a great big useless garbage guts that would hoover up anything, not a good way to die though.
note to self never get a bird dog.

had a small terrier mutt as a kid that ate an entire bag of Hersey kisses foil and all.

my corgi eats dog schit and ate about a pound of my wife's deer jerky the night before we left for our elk hunt. he looked like a barrel with short legs. we walked a lot that night
^^^^^^^^^^^^

What Rattler said...

Herr Rommel ate a batch of brownies...and not knowing what kind of chocolate was in them, I took the safe route and poured a bunch of hydrogen peroxide down his throat....

Brownies reappeared momentarily! laugh
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
...two couches, a chair, a million pens/pencils, part of my weatherby vanguard stock, game pieces, a couple fitted sheets...

i keep remembering new things i came home to find...

you are killing me! That said, had that been by dog - I probably would have had his teeth pulled. grin
Cat [bleep] sandwich

the appropriate term is kitty roca
Ten pound roast left out to thaw . . . . .
bbassi, she is the cutest beagle ever and a cuddler, so she is still alive and has all her teeth. some are broken off from eating EVERYTHING but dog food. but still there lol

...used qtips, plastic wrap, taco bell wrappers, etc...

but do you think that damn dog will eat a piece of banana or apple i toss her? hell no. maxi pad? yeah. fruit? nahhh...

totally can't figure this damn dog out lol
My GSP ate a 10 lb bag of flower he sniped off the counter.
Made one hell of a mess, and he left "breadsticks" every where he went, for days.
Only thing I ever found that he wouldn't eat was grapes and tomatoes.
My dog, Sheeba, a part tundra wolf, german shepard, got out of the kennel when she was in heat. She ended up having 6 puppies. My wife was not having a wolfdog with 6 puppies in the house, so I kept them on my screened in porch at my cabin on the Shenandoah river. There was a campground adjacent to my property, along the river. I went to check on them on Sat. afternoon. There was a hole in the screen and Sheeba was gone. I started playing with the puppies, when I heard a crashing noise and Sheeba came through the hole in the screen. She proceeded to go over to the puppies and regurgitate about a dozen hambugers and hotdogs. Fresh off the grill, still steaming. About 5 minutes later, I hear raised voices from the campground. 6 or 7 guys, drinking beer and playing horseshoes started accussing 1 of their friends of eating all they're food. Apparently, Sheeba had snuck over and grabbed all their food off the grill without them seeing her at all. They all gave the fat guy hell for an hour or so. I couldn't stop laughing.
the little dog ate a bunch of ant traps, tons of paper products
my old dog would eat anything socks, a bag of water balloons, a pumpkin pie, foil pie pan and all. he learned he could punch holes in cans and bottles and suck out the insides, came home and he could barley walk, then i found a drained bottle of peppermint schnapps.
The current big dog is a sucker for beer, he won't eat most things but will steal beer, he will grab the bottle and tip it up to pour it down his throat, i can't leave beer with in reach of the dog. Same dog won't steal food off my plate, it's kind of wierd
Being around dogs all my life I have seen them eat things I would have never believed possible. The one thing that I still have a hard time with is catching my old border collie/heeler mix eating one of my porcupines I had stored in the cold shop. I sell them in the winter and had 20 of them or so on hand. I must have forgotten to close the door all the way. I walked in the next morning and there was a half eaten porcupine with quills and hair everywhere. She didn't have 1 quill stuck in her. That afternoon I was walking over to the barn, the dogs always poop along the grass between the barn and house, there was a dog turd laced with quills and hair. I have seen coyote turds laced with them but never my dog's.
I had a Lab (of course) who ate a pound and a half of Nestle chocolate chips one late Christmas eve. I called my vet and he said to watch him (I forget what I was watching for) and whatever I did, don't let him drink water.

Well I'd been home quite a while before I got ahold of the vet and I knew every time he drank, he would throw up more of the chocolate and I figured that had to be a good thing so I let him continue.

I sat with him, periodically cleaning up the mess, until about 4:00 AM when he quit drinking and throwing up and had been acting "normal" for a good long spell, at which point I put him out in the kennel and went to bed. When I went out in the morning to get him, he was all happy and active and surrounded by dozens of little things that looked just like Hershey Kisses.

He was a great dog, regardless.
My old doberman licked a 1 quart can of white lithium grease clean as a whistle. For a couple of days he could chitt through a keyhole at 30 feet. Loved raw taters right out of the bag as well.

Current yellow lab will pass up a T-bone steak in favor of a loaf of bread.

Denny.
my GSP will pass up a steak for a sip of milk.....the schipperkee loves bread....
Had a beagle/cocker mix that would go to the park across the street and steal kids hot dogs. My uncle saw him comeing home one afternoon with an entire round steak in his mouth. It dangled down between his feet and dragging the ground, and one pissed off family in the park! Seen him come home once with entire package of Farmer John wieners.

Buddys GSP ate four pounds of deer suasage, no breakfast that morning!

My black lab went through four garden hoses her first summer. Labs will eat ANYTHING!
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Cat [bleep] sandwich

Almond Roca
[Linked Image]
We had a lab that knocked a container of starter for Amish Friendship Bread off the counter and ate it all - about 3 quarts. It's a sweet sourdough starter.

That poor dog was in such terrible distress with awesome bloat for about 12 hours.

Same dog was a trash hound. she ate aluminum foil that had been wrapped around meat. That hurt upon exit.

She also ate plastic wrap. It's very tough for a dog to cut that with a sphincter.
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Cat [bleep] sandwich

Our doge eats it out of the litterbox, we call it kitty roca
Ali I can say is this thread makes me feel so much better!
I had a beagle that ate an entire 2# box of chocolate candy, my Dad stayed up with her all night letting her out when she needed to pass some of the chocolate. Aside from the mega-squirts for a day or so she was none the worse for wear. Another beagle gorged herself on the little mushrooms that pop up in the lawn in the spring. She was really sick for a few days and had to be slowly fed smal quanitites of very moist dog food until her system settled down. The mushrooms apparently were quite toxic. My grandmother's Manchester Terrier liked to hang around the corner Mom & Pop store. It like to pickup the chewing gum the kids disccarded, the dog would come home happily chewing away on whatever wad of gum she'd managed to find.
My golden lab was old..14-16? when left alone with a fresh baked and frosted chocolate cake on the dining room table.

It was too much temptation and was devoured before the old bat could return home.

My brother's birthday cake, he was happy to share it with Tammy.
Had a boxer that loved vasaline and bar soap. Had to keep the bathroom doors closed. Dog was never constipated.

I am currently being trained by my first Lab and after 10 months of, "Bodie! Don't eat that! Drop it!", I have concluded that he can eat anything without repercussions. He even tried to lick up some Hoppes! His current favorite thing is my pear tree, or what's left of it.
My old beagle ate the cheese and sauce encrusted aluminum foil wrapper from a sub sandwich.

That evening, in the back yard by the glow of the moon, you could see the twinkles in the moonlight.
Our old pug snuck a box of chocolate Girl Scout cookies into boys bedroom. Neatly opened box and ate em. Opened it like a human!!!!

While an asst. scoutmaster we were camping one weekend on scoutmaster a ranch. I had fried up a BIG mess of blackstrap as the boys patrol were all riding school bus out to ranch after school. I set bowl of said back strap in picnic table and went to making biscuits. Scoutmaster cocker gor on table and ate whole bowl!!!

She was miserable but happy.
My GSP has eaten the bottom foot off our living room curtains...twice. If you want to see a mad wife let her find her new set of curtains with half of them missing.
The kid's Legos are also fair game and crayons are another favorite.
Strangely she never bothers shoes or chews on wood trim or furniture, I guess I should be thankful for that.
That is something I'm glad to not have seen.
On the way back from hunting one Saturday a grouse turned up missing. No feathers, no mess so the dog didn't get blamed, Sunday I was on the way back out with the dog in the back seat. He starts gagging and pukes up just as nice as you please a complete grouse skeleton and some feathers onto one of the old IBM punch cards like your utility bill used to come on. Not so much as a feather off the punch card. Gotta love a neat dog.
Out first Airedale ate half a loaf of fresh hot bread and complained loudly for a day.
Our lab ate whole ham we had for a party - what a fun party it was after that:)

This lab will also hunt bushes for birds, when he kills a bird he will bring it to show and than eat it whole with beak and everything.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Another beagle gorged herself on the little mushrooms that pop up in the lawn in the spring. She was really sick for a few days and had to be slowly fed smal quanitites of very moist dog food until her system settled down. The mushrooms apparently were quite toxic.

actually just the opposite, the shrooms werent toxic....general rule is if the mushroom causes digestive upset it likely not poisonous....most poisonous mushrooms you eat just fine and drop dead a day or two later.....most shrooms have a chemical in them that causes digestive upset and not much else....and actually some of the gourmet ones have it aswell just in quantities that make only certain people sensitive to it sick but most people tolerate it fine in the lower dose.....
My black lab (a little over 1yr old at the time) got curious about a mini excavator I had on a trailer in my back yard over night. I woke up the next morning to find the seat completely chewed up, the travel control sticks chewed on, and the joysticks chewd up. It was an expensive day.
After reading about some of the canine trash compactors some of you guys have, I realize just how good of dog my Remmie is.

There are some tales of amazing consumption posted here, but the "What my dog ate" story that sticks with me the most wasn't posted here and didn't even happen with my dog. It happened with 2 of my ex-girlfriend's dogs before I even met her.

She was a fan of bull terriers, you know, the Spuds Mckenzie type dog with a face only a blind mother could love. At the time of the event, she had 2 of them. The story starts with the 2 dogs finding a good sized snake outside one day and having a rousing game of tug-of-war with it. The snake lost and one or both of the dogs chewed and ate the snake as a victory celebration.

Well, there was another sort of celebration that my ex had scheduled for that day. She was throwing a nice dinner party for some good friends that evening. As she reports, the party was going along nicely. Guests were enjoying food and drink. Conversation was pleasant and 2 dogs, slow and pleasantly tired from the day's outdoor activities, were quietly lounging out of sight under the dinner table.

Have you ever seen the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? Remember the big dinner scene where cousin Eddie's rottweiler, Snots, started yakking under the dinner table? Well, the same thing happened at my ex's dinner party. Except that in this case when the throwing up started, everybody present bent to look under the table to see what was going on. What was going on was one of the dogs had transformed into an ugly canine version of one of those fancy cherubic water fountains and instead of a cherub spewing sparkling H2O, they saw a distressed bull terrier spewing pieces of half chewed and only partially digested snake. sick

Even Wayne and Garth couldn't have partied through that.

Party off, Wayne. Party off, Garth.
We had a Beagle name Betsy when I was a kid and we kept her milk bones in a coffee can. We had a lake lot on an area lake and used to spend evenings out there in the summer picnicking. One evening I caught a big crawdad, probably 7-8 inches long, well being a kid I wanted to keep it as pet. The only container I could find to put the crawdad in was a coffee can similar to Betsy�s milk bone can. Poor Betsy wondered over to the can and stuck her snout in to snatch a milk bone, next we heard was her yelp, saw her leap back with the crawdad latched onto her nose and her back peddling out of there. Don�t remember if the crawdad got away or we let it go, but I know I could never get Betsy to take a milk bone out of the can on her own, you had to give it to her, she wouldn�t even look in the can.

Current dawg is a black lab named Katy, she is 2 years old and she is an angel, never eats anything she is not supposed to, well if you don�t count the 6 remotes, the walls in the laundry room, every tennis ball she can find, meat right off the grill at the deer lease, hamburger patties right out of the frying pan, raw bacon off the counter, all my shoes, boots, socks, towels, the hole she ate in the mattress, a catfish head she found on the lake shore, several other dead fish parts, dead birds, dead stuff in general, but otherwise no problems, she is an angel!
This is somewhat related. My grandparents used to have a poodle. Most nights of the week they used to play Gin Rummy on the kitchen table. Some nights they went out for dinner. The pack of cards and the scorepad were always left in the middle of the table.

They started noticing cards missing from the deck. No big problem. Just get a new deck. The cards going missing always seemed to happen after they went out for dinner.

Then one day, the cleaning lady showed my Grandma a cache of playing cards in the green velvet chair in the parlor. The cards were in perfect shape. Somehow the poodle was lifting the cards off the top of the deck without disturbing the deck or putting a tooth mark on the card, and then getting in the velvet chair, placing the card under the seat cushion and neither disturbing the cushion nor the satin pillow on top.

My grandfolks decided not to let the dog in on the fact. They only took the cards from the secret stash they needed and waited. I was spending the night when my Grandfather caught the dog in the kitchen picking a card off the top of the deck with her tongue. He complemented the dog on her trickery and told her the game was over. The dog never stole card again, but instead switched to stealing finger towels out of the guest bathroom and hiding them in the green chair.

As a kid I can remember my dad going to the news stand every Sunday morning to get the paper with our dog in tow and every Sunday he got said dog a Hershey bar.

Hunted quail last season with a guide and two dogs. The older bitch had some sort of genetic blood sugar problem and she used to fall down in a faint every now now and then. The vet advised the guide to toss her a snack-sized candy bar whenever she showed signs of needing it.

Saw her scarf two or three Baby Ruths while we were in the field.

Hunted quail last season with a guide and two dogs. The older bitch had some sort of genetic blood sugar problem and she used to fall down in a faint every now now and then. The vet advised the guide to toss her a snack-sized candy bar whenever she showed signs of needing it.

Saw her scarf two or three Baby Ruths while we were in the field.

you realize most milk chocolate in the candy bars on shelves has almost no chocolate solids in it....its mostly chocolate flavored sugar.....milk chocolate is mostly cocoa butter with very lil cocoa solids.....real baking chocolate and real dark chocolate has lots of cocoa solids which is where the theobromine is.....that is what kills dogs.....and if you eat enough of it it will kill you too....

Sheridan:

Wasn't challenging you by any means, and I understand what you're saying. I only mention the Baby Ruths as part of the great collective story about stuff we see dogs eating.

BTW, and again I don't doubt you, but do you have personal knowledge of a dog eating dark or baking chocolate and dying as a result?

I'm thinking it must be unusual.

- Tom
Last year after several hours of waiting I took a beautiful smoked corned beef brisket to the cutting board in the kitchen and turned to get some rye bread. I spread the bread with some good mustard and started to cut the meat, it wasn't there. I found my shepherd mix on the front room carpet chowing down. I gave serious thought about smoking him.

Sheridan:

Wasn't challenging you by any means, and I understand what you're saying. I only mention the Baby Ruths as part of the great collective story about stuff we see dogs eating.

BTW, and again I don't doubt you, but do you have personal knowledge of a dog eating dark or baking chocolate and dying as a result?

I'm thinking it must be unusual.

- Tom

there have been a number of scientific studies, not just anecdotal evidence....hell the LD50 rating is known not only for dogs but for cats and humans.....LD50 rating is how much is required to kill 50% of individuals/animals and is how they rate poisons and snake venoms and such.....actually cats are even more sensitive to it than dogs but because cats cant taste sweet they arent attracted to it and dont eat candy for the most part.....

how many homes actually have high quality baking chocolate laying around for a dog to get ahold of? damn few......how many house have chocolate candy laying around that has high amounts of cocoa butter but nearly no cocoa solids? most prolly.....this is why th e new myth that chocolate is harmless to dogs has come out.....50 or 100 years ago when families did 90% of their own cooking and bought alot less pre made stuff im guessing dogs died a hell of alot more cause it was more common for high quality baking chocolate to be in the average family pantry....

hell its known medically that the real high quality dark chocolate can cause problems in the elderly who arent in the best health if they eat alot of it.....

Animal Oral toxicity of Theobromine(mg/kg)
LD50
Cat 200
Dog 300
Human ~1,000
Mouse 837
Rat 1,265

Had a newf/retriever mix.
On my sons birthday she got out of where she was contained and ate an entire butter cream frosted birthday sheetcake.

It happened to be a homemade theme cake and the dawg was chittin cowboys and indians and horses etc all over the yard.
Eating 20 pounds of lead likely ain't good either.

yeah but it takes far less than 20 pounds of real chocolate to kill a dog....most people just have no clue that milk chocolate candy bars are actually a hell of a long way from real chocolate....
When I was about 11, my dog ate my entire bag of Halloween candy, with wrappers. I'd say at least 10 pounds. Other than highly annoying me, the dog was fine.
Hah! one advantage to cats is they don't eat chit like this. smile

ummm....

well, not counting half a hamster

only a few bites out of a thawing steak...

never mind, carry on smirk
Originally Posted by rattler

yeah but it takes far less than 20 pounds of real chocolate to kill a dog....most people just have no clue that milk chocolate candy bars are actually a hell of a long way from real chocolate....

Most folks likely don't give a [bleep].
Rattler, could a person get cats to eat chocolate if they put sardine oil on it? grin
Originally Posted by rattler

Most folks likely don't give a [bleep].

Some folks care more for their dogs than most humans as most humans tend to lean closer to being POS than most dogs.... count me as caring RE the info.
Had taken a whole chicken off the rotisserie and it was cooling on the kitchen countertop. Wife and I were in the living room and along came our Gr. Dane through the living room and quick-stepping it to the stairs. Headed upstairs with her prize hoping we wouldn't notice.

First, her gait was what caught our attention and she wouldn't look at us. We could see just the legs hanging out of either side of her mouth.

1flier
© 24hourcampfire