Home
Posted By: milespatton Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
Tried in the 4wd and had 60 views and no replies, so will try here where there is more traffic. miles

I have a 2011 Taco and when you put it in low four wheel drive there is a warning light flashing and beeping going on, which is annoying. Can it be turned off and how? Next is how to turn off the fasten seat belt buzzer? I found some instructions on line for the seat belt but it did not work. I wear my seat belt most all of the time but when getting in and out around the farm it would be nice if it was turned off. Thanks for any help.
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
Miles

Go to the local junk yard and cut a seat belt out of a salvage taco. Seat belt issue solved. I don't know about the 4wd light though.

Best of luck.

Dave
Posted By: CostaMan Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
buy a real truck
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
The 4wheel low buzzer/light is because you aren't in 4wheel low, you are doing something wrong.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
The seat belt I just buckle it behind me on my F150. I too wear it for on-road use but off-road it's silly.
The 4wheel low buzzer/light is because you aren't in 4wheel low, you are doing something wrong.

It has done it every time that I have used it, which is seldom. Automatic transmission, in neutral, shift to L4. miles
Posted By: fish head Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
It should be obvious if you're in low four wheel drive or not. It's a huge gear change.

Just a WAG but maybe it's not fully engaging. After you shift into 4LOW try backing up and see if that does anything.

If it doesn't take it to the shop and find out what's wrong.
Posted By: redmtn Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
I use these when I'm out hunting, takes care of the seat belt issue :

[Linked Image]][/url]
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
Miles, I've had four Tacos, currently a 2012. I use 4 Low often in the winter. None of the trucks gave me an alarm using 4 Low. Something is wrong for sure. Sorry I don't know what exactly is wrong but you should not be getting the alarm.

Bob
Originally Posted by milespatton

It has done it every time that I have used it, which is seldom. Automatic transmission, in neutral, shift to L4. miles

Are you or aren't you in 4 wheel low?

Sometimes you may need to back up a few feet then put it in drive to get it to lock in. I only had to do this once.
Originally Posted by redmtn

[Linked Image]][/url]

I've never seen these! grin Where did you get them?
Posted By: bucktales Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
Originally Posted by RS308MX

[Linked Image]][/url]

Hmm, I can use one myself!
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
Me too. Where can you get them?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
Originally Posted by bucktales

[Linked Image]][/url]

You all are missing the big picture. You shouldn't have to need the damn things. If you want to wear your seatbelt, wear it. If you don't want to wear it, the damn car shouldn't be telling you to. My 2006 and older vehicles I could program out the dang dinger. The 2007 and newer vehicles I've had, I could never get them to shut up.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by bucktales

[Linked Image]][/url]

You all are missing the big picture. You shouldn't have to need the damn things. If you want to wear your seatbelt, wear it. If you don't want to wear it, the damn car shouldn't be telling you to. My 2006 and older vehicles I could program out the dang dinger. The 2007 and newer vehicles I've had, I could never get them to shut up.

Life is what is not what should be.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

Life is what is not what should be.

Amen, brother!
Are you or aren't you in 4 wheel low?

Yes, it is in 4L and working, just flashing light on dash and and alarm beeping kinda like a backup beeper on heavy equipment. miles
Do you have it in first gear?

[Linked Image]][/url]

Search Ebay for
2X Toyota Emblem Eliminate Alarm Seat Belt Buckle Clasp Insert Plugto Stop Alarm
Works for my Tacoma
Just ordered a pair on Ebay for $5.98 with free shipping. miles
Do you have it in first gear?

Automatic, in drive which starts out in first gear. miles
Do you put it in low four wheel drive when the vehicle is moving, or is the tranny in neutral?
Stopped, tranny in neutral. miles
After you enter 4 wheel low, try manually moving the automatic shifter to "L".

IIRC you are not supposed to exceed 5MPH in 4wheel low so it is set up to warn you if you are not in low/first gear.
Could be. I was just doing what I did with my Ford. miles
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
in response to the seat belt thing I just unpluged the wire harness under the seat in both the Wife's' Nissan and my Chevy
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/12/13
did anyone but me think WTH when they read the title of this thread.
Miles, check your owners manual. There's a section in there about warning buzzers. By the way the toyo owners manuals are about the most useless POS I've seen. You get to page 153 before they tell you what to do before driving off the dealers lot. Do you know not to exceed 55MPH for the first 1000miles?
I get really aggravated with owners manuals. I knew that they had a speed limit but I paid no attention to it. I was always told by mechanics to break them in like you drive them. miles
Tried in the 4wd and had 60 views and no replies, so will try here where there is more traffic. miles

I have a 2011 Taco and when you put it in low four wheel drive there is a warning light flashing and beeping going on, which is annoying. Can it be turned off and how? Next is how to turn off the fasten seat belt buzzer? I found some instructions on line for the seat belt but it did not work. I wear my seat belt most all of the time but when getting in and out around the farm it would be nice if it was turned off. Thanks for any help.

I have a 2012 tacoma 4X4. The only time it beeps and flashes in 4lo is if I didn't put it in 4lo correctly. The beep and flash is to warn you it is not in 4lo even though the switch is on 4lo. Once the truck is in 4lo, the beeping and flashing stops.
Yup my experience as well
Once the truck is in 4lo, the beeping and flashing stops.

I will have to try again and if it still does it, take it to the dealer. miles
Once the truck is in 4lo, the beeping and flashing stops.

I will have to try again and if it still does it, take it to the dealer. miles

First, make sure it went into 4hi before shifting into 4lo. If I go from 2high to 4lo, it never works. I also have to have trans in neutral, clutch in while turning it to 4lo. Then I have to let off the clutch while still in neutral. Usually goes right in but sometimes I have to repeat 2 or 3 times.
One last thought, Did you have your foot on the brake? I always do.
Then I have to let off the clutch while still in neutral.

Automatic. miles
Then I have to let off the clutch while still in neutral.

Automatic. miles

Skip the clutch part then.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/13/13
Originally Posted by stxhunter
did anyone but me thing WTH when they read the title of this thread.

Yup, I was trying to think what the #2 combo at taco bell was. Now I want some chips and salsa.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/13/13
i was thinking why would you put #2 on a taco.. lol
Posted By: clos Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/13/13

[Linked Image]][/url]

I need some of those.
I need some of those.

I ordered a pair off Ebay for less that six dollars and free shipping. They are called "Toyota seat belt alarm stop". miles
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/14/13
Please let us know how they work, miles.
I will. I know that one will get a lot of use if it works. I have two small dogs that together are heavy enough to trigger the passenger seat belt alarm when I take them to the vet. I intend to use the other a lot around the farm but I intend to keep fastening my seat belt when out on the highway. I still hate that it is a ticketable offense even though I think it is a good idea to wear a belt. I hate the government telling me I have to. miles
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/14/13

Oh, I thought you wanted me to try the #2 at Taco Bell.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/14/13
I was amazed that my buddies new company supplied Toyota p/u had a tailgate mounted backup camera. I wonder if the tailgate can be stolen as easily as a plain old trucks can? What will those bring on Craigslist?? 4 wheeling with him was a heart breaking experience in that the truck tries to out think you the whole time.

My theory on things like this is "Just because the technology exists doesn't mean I need it." I look for things that suit my needs and no more for simplicity sake, but most of the time we are given no choice. Kind of like the "Buy American" chant- I would if I could find American to buy!!! If China is all that's offered for sale, I can't really buy American now can I?
On trucks, I realize my choices are not realistic for most people. I have a 1978 Toyota with 70K original miles (and no air conditioning!), a 1999 Dodge Cummins Diesel, and a 1995 F350 with 65K on it.

I get tired of my kids wanting every single new device invented within 4 miliseconds of it's introduction. I don't even try to reason with them anymore, they're lost to the corporate advertisers.

Part of the problem of vehicle overcomplication is govt regulations imposed on auto manufacturers and part of it is competition to make the newest gizmo and claim more market share, corporate greed. I figure at some point I have to quit driving 1978 Toyotas but in the meantime I'm happy to stay a few decades behind the new technology.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Oh, I thought you wanted me to try the #2 at Taco Bell.
I thought everything at Taco Bell is #2.

Actually, I thought it was another Lesbian thread and I clicked on it in hopes there were pics.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/14/13
Let's be fair, EE. It may not be #2, but it sure brings it on.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I was amazed that my buddies new company supplied Toyota p/u had a tailgate mounted backup camera. I wonder if the tailgate can be stolen as easily as a plain old trucks can? What will those bring on Craigslist?? 4 wheeling with him was a heart breaking experience in that the truck tries to out think you the whole time.

My theory on things like this is "Just because the technology exists doesn't mean I need it." I look for things that suit my needs and no more for simplicity sake, but most of the time we are given no choice. Kind of like the "Buy American" chant- I would if I could find American to buy!!! If China is all that's offered for sale, I can't really buy American now can I?
On trucks, I realize my choices are not realistic for most people. I have a 1978 Toyota with 70K original miles (and no air conditioning!), a 1999 Dodge Cummins Diesel, and a 1995 F350 with 65K on it.

I get tired of my kids wanting every single new device invented within 4 miliseconds of it's introduction. I don't even try to reason with them anymore, they're lost to the corporate advertisers.

Part of the problem of vehicle overcomplication is govt regulations imposed on auto manufacturers and part of it is competition to make the newest gizmo and claim more market share, corporate greed. I figure at some point I have to quit driving 1978 Toyotas but in the meantime I'm happy to stay a few decades behind the new technology.
I hate to say this but in 1978, I was sixteen/seventeen and had already internalized "Buy American" from my Dad. In 1978 you really could but now you can't due to folks in 1978 buying Toyotas when they could have been buying Chevy's and Ford's. Maybe you got yours used though.
Originally Posted by FlaRick
Let's be fair, EE. It may not be #2, but it sure brings it on.
My wife just had to go to this new Pizza place the other night and it sucked big-time. TB was open afterwards and I got a Burrito Supreme. I don't know how they can sell that crap because it gave the suckass first restaurant a legit run for the money on sucking hard and deep.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/14/13
I got the 1978 Toyota used from a customer in trade. My desire to drive old technology superceded my desire for American when the rare opportunity to aquire this low mileage truck came along. I'm pretty sure the 1978 money that Toyota made selling this truck here is well dispursed and is water under the bridge.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I got the 1978 Toyota used from a customer in trade. My desire to drive old technology superceded my desire for American when the rare opportunity to aquire this low mileage truck came along. I'm pretty sure the 1978 money that Toyota made selling this truck here is well dispursed and is water under the bridge.
The point is that people bought this stuff long before it was the only option available. Not to say that it was totally the public's fault. The big boys dearly love to ship jobs elsewhere.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
did anyone but me think WTH when they read the title of this thread.

I was thinking about ordering Mexican food!! grin
Ethan, I bought a used Tacoma in 1990 because US manufacturers simply refused the build the vehicle I wanted at a price I could pay.
I can only relate my experience with Chevys. To get into 4wd low range: select 4wd high/ shift to neutral/ be moving approx. 1mph/ select low range. My truck won't shift to low range if stopped or going to fast.
Well, I finally thought about it when I was not on a hard surface and tried putting it in 4H and pulling forward a couple of feet and then going to 4L, and there I was in 4L with no beeping and flashing. I did have to go forward and reverse a couple of times for it to go back to 4H from 4L. Maybe I just need to use it more and slick things up. miles
Mine's an '07 and a stick, but it was tricky at first and got easier to engage into 4low as it got some time/miles on it. Also, I seem to remember something about having to push the knob in while turning it from 4hi to 4lo.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/24/13
Mine is a 2005. I had one day on a slick hillside in Colorado that the damned thing just would not go into low range. I probably lost 30-40 ft in elevation, jockeying back and forth before giving up and easing back down for a harder run at the slope in 4-Hi (barely made it to the top). Never had that problem before or since--quien sabe.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Try #2 on Taco questions - 07/24/13
First and foremost, men should not own automatic transmissions.

Yes, I do know it can be quite impossible in todays world.
© 24hourcampfire