Home
I remember seeing something about this, and, I have some great, huge tomatos. I suppose I could suffer and bury them under a lot of bacon and lettuce..I am looking for alternatives. Thanx guys.
I'd go with Plan A
The only way I've ever had or made a mater samich is with white bread, mayonnaise (Best Foods) and maybe a sprinkle of S&P.

Simple is good. smile
white bread, mayo on each slice of bread. light salt and pepper on both sides of the tomato.

eat one, then fix and eat another.
Maters
Dukes
Salt
Pepper
Bunny bread
Ain't no way to make a good tomoto sandwich without lots of rare roast beef, American cheese, sweet onion, iceberg lettuce and plenty of mayo.
Originally Posted by fish head
The only way I've ever had or made a mater samich is with white bread, mayonnaise (Best Foods) and maybe a sprinkle of S&P.

Simple is good. smile

Except delete that nasty slimy mayo and substitute the "Tangy Zip of Miracle Whip".

I can hardly wait for our first vine ripened mater. That crap from the grocery does not compare.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Ain't no way to make a good tomoto sandwich without lots of rare roast beef, American cheese, sweet onion, iceberg lettuce and plenty of mayo.

That's a roast beef sammich..
Originally Posted by rem_7

More like a truck stop sub.
I guess I will suffer with thick cut grilled bacon, 'merican cheese, mayo, lettuce, pickles, salt and a lot of pepper, and just a touch of onion. Sandwich heaven.

First tomato is mere days away from being picked.

Exactly. The only fit use for raw maters is as a seasoning, not the main ingredient.
The best? Slice the tomatoes, season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Put them on French bread and broil a minute with a little mozzarella.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I guess I will suffer with thick cut grilled bacon, 'merican cheese, mayo, lettuce, pickles, salt and a lot of pepper, and just a touch of onion. Sandwich heaven.

First tomato is mere days away from being picked.

And that's a Subway Jarrett special.

Maters, mayo and white bread mens!
I think I'd do this...grasp whole tomato, take bite. Add a little sea salt, slurp out pulp. Repeat till 'mater is devoured.

Why bother with bread and condiments?
and there you have it. French bread Pizza.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The best? Slice the tomatoes, season with salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Put them on French bread and broil a minute with a little mozzarella.

Geeeezuussss. That's a TRH Italian special.
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
I think I'd do this...grasp whole tomato, take bite. Add a little sea salt, slurp out pulp. Repeat till 'mater is devoured.

Yuck. Even slugs won't eat plain maters.
Good fresh white bread Dukes mayo one large thick slice of tomatter and salt and pepper.
Just to rub it in on those who are waiting for their 1st harvest...;)

[Linked Image]
Wheat bread with mayo, fresh spinach, sweet onion slices, Swiss cheese, avocado slices, and thick slices of juicy sweet maters.
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I remember seeing something about this, and, I have some great, huge tomatos. I suppose I could suffer and bury them under a lot of bacon and lettuce..I am looking for alternatives. Thanx guys.

Meaner.....I have tomato plants about 24" tall cry
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Except delete that nasty slimy mayo and substitute the "Tangy Zip of Miracle Whip".

Miracle Whip = Satan's smegma
Originally Posted by mathman

shocked eek we agree shocked
Ain't fair, my "maters" are about 3 wks away from turnin red, but when they do I got hundreds of em. They got so thick I pulled 2 plants out yesterday, If they ever ripen I'll be eating them forever smile
forget the bread, just throw em on a plate and smother them in sugar...mmmm mm!
Originally Posted by byc
Maters
Dukes
Salt
Pepper
Bunny bread

Dukes?
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by byc
Maters
Dukes
Salt
Pepper
Bunny bread

Dukes?

A kind of mayo. Never seen it myself.
Originally Posted by byc
Maters
Dukes
Salt
Pepper
Bunny bread

Dukes?

BYC says its hopped up on vinegar, ive read Sam mention it multiple times. I wanna try it but will have to order it here.
Slice some of those great, huge tomatoes you have. Butter some Texas Toast on both sides and brown both sides. Slice up some good sweet onions, break off some big flat pieces of iceberg lettuce, and cook some big honkin' patties of ground round. Build your sandwich out of all that, season to taste, and use your favorite condiments. Chomp...!
How people eat that garbage called miracle whip is beyond me.

Helmans, center cut of mater, pepper, light lettuce, onion, and a couple slices of bacon.

I like fresh maters plenty good but I've never cared for them as the main dish.
u could sent them to me ...mine are green and have to ripen on the vine ...after I pull them out in early sept frown the wife would give up her r..........
Slice those 'Maters thin. Season them with salt and pepper. Throw them in the nearest garbage can.

Fry an egg, add bacon, some sliced onion and mayo on french bread.

Forget you ever thought about doing anything with a 'Mater except making sauce or salsa.
Start with fresh Italian bread. Add sliced tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil and a little vinegar. Add fresh mozzarella cheese. Broil until cheese begins to melt. Add slice of bread on top and enjoy!!

Bob
Your choice of bread, mayo, tomatoes, s&p. That's it!

ABSOLUTELY NO MIRACLE SMEGMA. That [bleep] should be outlawed.

Cheese, roast beef, bacon, lettuce, mustard, all good stuff in their own applications, but that is not a Mater Samitch.

I love Miracle Whip...I can't stand plain old mayonnaise. I'd rather eat my own puke than taste anything that contains plain old mayonnaise.
Butter some toast, add slices of garlic mettwurst, tomato and S&P to taste. Simple.
Originally Posted by smithwr
How people eat that garbage called miracle whip is beyond me.

Helmans, center cut of mater, pepper, light lettuce, onion, and a couple slices of bacon.

Perfection is with couple slices of extra sourdough bread, slightly toasted.
Originally Posted by pahick
forget the bread, just throw em on a plate and smother them in sugar...mmmm mm!
home grown crack imo......
+ 1 on the miracle whip, and add a slice of yellow american cheese, lots of salt and pepper.
If I could still chew and swallow, my favorite "'mater sammich" would comprise a huge slice of tomato, a big slice of onion, and a slice of cheese between the usual two slices of (preferably home-made) mayonnaised bread.

Only some crisp bacon could make that any better.

If I had no cheese, I could get along quite nicely with just the tomato and the onion. (In no sandwich do I ever include anything that I don't have. laugh )

That reminds me of another oldie � the "love" sandwich � two slices of bread so stuck on each other that nothing can come between 'em. (Had a few of those on occasion � don't really recommend 'em.)
Got to find some good maters. These old sand grown things from Fla and Calif as well as the hydroponic water grown things, you know , the ones with a stem the size of a plum stem ain't fit to eat.

Got to find some fresh maters from red loamy dirt to be fit to eat. Add mayo, fresh bread, salt and pepper to taste.

Nap time wink
I love tomatoes, and Cheesy can attest to this fact, the soil in SW MO makes for some acidic flavorful tomatoes. Used to have them with every meal in the summertime growing up, slices as big as a saucer.

but I've never had a mater sandwich.

and I ain't doing no white bread, thank you, I'm addicted to Dave's Killer bread, never thought I'd see the day I'd give $5.50 for a loaf of bread, but that's all I buy.

when our maters ripen on our plants I'm gonna have to try one, I believe I could like it as much as I love tomatoes.

often substitute sliced tomatoes for hashbrown with a bacon and egg breakfast.
Mater . . . I can't do it, I'm silly enough without sounding like a bubba! Tomato sandwich is nothing more than fresh sourdough rye bread sliced thin, covered with real butter, then shingled with thinly sliced cold - really cold tomatoes - so they don't squish, a little shake of salt and enjoy. Simple, easy and delicious.

I make my own rye bread, letting the sourdough sponge sit for two days before making the dough, then adding plenty of caraway and poppy seeds. Fresh bread and ripe tomatoes, better than whiskey and women.

The other sandwich I like is thinly sliced cucumbers lightly pickled in diluted apple cider vinegar, a dash of salt and pepper with a little olive oil. After at least an overnight soak, they are stacked on a sandwich rye, or on top of some homemade San Francisco style sourdough bread. Sometimes I go hog wild and do a tomato and cucumber sandwich. Completely abandoning all reason for a debauch into flavor one can also gently stack a few slices of smoked salmon on top of the cucumbers and tomatoes, and extend it even further with a sprinkle of chopped green onion or a thin slice of white or yellow onion.
White bread, miracle whip, garden maters, s&p.
Why complicate it?

Simple is good. smile

This is it in the simplest form. A blt rocks, but isn't just about the maters...
Disregard all of the above.

Toasted whole wheat
mayo
sliced tomato
sliced cheddar

That is all.

Simple is good. smile

yep
why waste time waiting for them to ripen fried green maters or green mater pickles yum
All these posts and NOBODY mentions Blue Plate!
You boys have alot to learn.................
Something about toasted bread, wheat or white, no matter, makes the perfect tomato sandwhich; as long as there is s&p and both sides of bread lathered in miracle whip.
Something about toasted bread, wheat or white, no matter, makes the perfect tomato sandwhich

yes
Thick cut bologna, tomatoes, mayo, toasted bread.

Originally Posted by raghorn

It's in my 'fridge.

What I can't get over are the public admissions of liking Miracle Whip. Blech!
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will in fact try them all as I have a lot of tomatos, love them and always interested in new ways to have them. I also will be using Hellmans/Best Foods mayo only.
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570

Meaner.....I have tomato plants about 24" tall cry

My plants are 5 ft tall and I have had to stake my cages from falling over. Best tomato crop I have ever had. My only complaint is that I am in need of a shower after picking them in all this humidity.

Best Sammich
Tomato sliced about 1/4"
Mayo
White bread toasted
Tony Chachere's Bold seasoning

I like Bacon on mine too but some days it is too damn hot.
Makin a mater sandwich has gotten so complicated. So many varietes of maters out there now. I like my mater about bread size and with a tart taste. Now, some those maters are bigger than the bread and worse yet, some of them are sweet. If I wanted something sweet, I'd eat a apple.
Lot of opinions...and most are no d*mn good.
well excuuuuuuuse me.
apologize...heated topic. lol

Maters (thick sliced)
Dukes (both pieces of bread)
Salt (liberal amount)
Pepper (liberal amount)

Lays Ruffle chips
Tall cold sweet tea
Well, since the thread specified the BEST 'mater sammich, I suppose I'll have to try all the ones listed and judge for myself.

Or, as I did just yesterday with my first two ripe ones, simply wedge them, sprinkle with fresh-picked basil and a spritz of olive oil, and enjoy - still warm from the sun.

BTW, the secret to hefty 'maters is to use a golf club shaft as your stake. Why? Because they'll be slicers.

Simple is good. smile

This is the only way to eat big beefsteak tomatos!

Originally Posted by sse
Lot of opinions...and most are no d*mn good.

Miracle Whip and margarine, all we need to know. eek
Originally Posted by raghorn

It's in my 'fridge.

What I can't get over are the public admissions of liking Miracle Whip. Blech!

Never laid eyes on it. East coast only?
man. Nothing better than tomato or cucumber sandwiches with fresh bread and JFG mayo.

I'm hungry!
I recently tried the Mayo with Olive Oil. It is great. I like MW sometimes, too, but not traditional mayo.
I don't know all of its distribution.

http://blueplatemayo.com/stores
I don't know all of its distribution.

http://blueplatemayo.com/stores

Thanks. Put zip, state, and 100 miles......No results. Must not be a west coast thing.
Originally Posted by pixarezzo

I did that last night! Darn good!
Originally Posted by byc
Maters
Dukes
Salt
Pepper
Bunny bread

Dukes?

BYC says its hopped up on vinegar, ive read Sam mention it multiple times. I wanna try it but will have to order it here.

Actually, check your local Wal-Mart(I know, awful store). I saw it in mine the other day for the first time. They just got it in.
The only mater samwich:

Dukes mayo ( prechilled ).

Fresh baked sour dough bread ( can substitute your favorite ).

GERMAN JOHNSON tomato center cut steak about 1 inch thick.

Fresh cracked sea salt.

Fresh cracked black pepper.

Frosted beer mug of 2 % moo juice.

Eat till you puke.

Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I recently tried the Mayo with Olive Oil. It is great. I like MW sometimes, too, but not traditional mayo.

Same here, Olive Oil mayo has a nice flavor to it.
© 24hourcampfire