Home
I started out thinking today would be a special day for me -- and it was, but it's also overwhelming to think of the work I now have to do. I took delivery of the book I just published. It's called Growing Up With Guns.

I'd like to say the book turned out very well, but I shouldn't be the judge of that so let's just say I'm pleased, but the day was a little strange. You'd expect excitement, pride, and all those emotions. But I was alone when it came and suddenly felt overwhelmed at the marketing challenge, and need to get about 100 copies out as quickly as I could (pre-orders, courtesy copies to people who read the Advance Reader Copy, copies to friends who helped, etc.) To tell you the truth, publication day is a little anti-climactic.

I'm not expecting to be flooded with Campfire orders, but there's an outside chance one or two of you might want to know about it. Thus, the reason for this post.

[Linked Image] Here's the lowdown from the front flap (it's a paperback with flapped covers):
Growing Up WITH GUNS...
...is a book about growing up in rural America. It�s a book about using guns responsibly, about hunting ethics and battling against hunter stereotypes, about hunting philosophy and conservation. It�s about how to think about hunting.

The target audience is hunters, but non-hunters will see that hunters aren�t the bloodthirsty exterminators some people think they are. Every reader will gain a better understanding of what hunters really are, why hunters love hunting, and the role hunters must play if wildlife is to thrive in the future.

Growing Up With Guns examines the hunter�s role as predator and conservationist, offers thoughtful opinions about hunting in today�s world, plus a few personal recollections told with humor.

50 chapters in four sections cover:
>> the days when people didn�t automatically assume guns were for killing people
>> the predator who cares about his prey species and his impact on species that aren�t his prey
>> the hunter as a non-consumptive user of wildlife, and why hunting is life-giving.
>> tips and strategies that will make you a better hunter.

Published by The Everyday Hunter Press

I've learned that I'm not much of a salesman, so I find it hard to ask people to buy it. But I have some pretty good cover comments so if you believe what any of these people say, maybe you'll think it's worth a look -- here are some of the cover comments:
Ron Spomer, Host of Winchester World of Whitetail TV: �Articulating your passion for hunting just got easier. Sorensen covers the positive role hunters and modern wildlife management play in perpetuating wildlife. Details come in bite-sized chunks that are easy to digest and understand.�

Charles J. Alsheimer -- Field Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting: �Growing Up With Guns will not only change the way you look at hunting, it will make you a better person in the process.�

Bernie Barringer -- Editor, Bear Hunting Magazine: �It�s part entertainment and part educational, but mostly Growing Up With Guns is a compelling, well-reasoned defense of the hunting lifestyle.�

Patrick Carrothers -- President, Havalon Knives, www.Havalon.com, : Growing Up With Guns is a prophet�s voice in the wilderness, warning of a cultural disconnect from reality, from nature and from God. Steve presents a compelling defense of hunting as a fundamental tradition and part of the fabric of American freedoms, as well as tested tactics and strategies every hunter can use in the field.�

Marc Anthony � Pro hunter & freelance writer, www.NonTypicalHunter.com, :�Every anti-gunner, anti-hunter, and main stream media personnel out there needs to read Growing Up With Guns. Steve Sorensen's reflection on the sportsman's way of life should be the template for hunters to be judged by.�

Bill Winke � www.MidwestWhitetail.com, Albia, Iowa:Growing up with Guns reminds of the wide-eyed joy I had as a young man enjoying the freedom of roaming and hunting the wide-open country of rural Iowa. Steve�s writing style is very pleasant to read. You will enjoy every chapter.�

Russell Thornberry � Alberta, Canada, www.RussellThornberry.com, :Growing up with Guns should be the primer for Wildlife Conservation Education in America. It contains the essential truth about who funds conservation and why � what animal rights fanatics want to keep hidden. Kudos to author Steve Sorensen.�

Daniel E. Schmidt �- Editor-in-Chief, Deer & Deer Hunting:�A thinking man�s book on hunting, conservation and clean-living American values. It�s unlike any other book you�ve read about the subject. Sorensen�s thought-provoking approach will educate, enlighten and challenge anyone who loves the outdoors.�

That's about half of them, and about all I can say, except for the fact that I'll be leaving the pre-publication offer up at www.EverydayHunter.com until I catch up with everything.

Someone will ask if I'll be publishing an e-book. That's the plan, but I don't know when that will happen. I need to climb the learning curve on that, or find someone who can do it for me.

Steve.
Is it still $15 if I order today?
Yes. I'm leaving the pre-pub offer up at least for a few days because I don 't have time to change it. As long as it's up, the offer stands.

Steve.
Sounds like a good read, I put in my order.
I want to order one, will you please do me the honor and autograph it for me?

Also I wanted to know how long it took to write the book
Congrats and best wishes.
Signed copy, no problem. Start to finish about 5 months.

Steve.
Great! I sent you a email, For some reason I thought it would take longer than 5 months.
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Yes. I'm leaving the pre-pub offer up at least for a few days because I don 't have time to change it. As long as it's up, the offer stands.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I did order one. After I read it, I'll give it to my DIL for Christmas. She thinks I'm some sort of caveman because I love hunting. Ken
I just ordered one for my husband for Christmas (and I plan to read it first before he gets it).
Originally Posted by kend

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I did order one. After I read it, I'll give it to my DIL for Christmas. She thinks I'm some sort of caveman because I love hunting. Ken

The book should be good for her.

Steve.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I want to order one, will you please do me the honor and autograph it for me?

Also I wanted to know how long it took to write the book

Plus one for me too. I'd like an autographed one. Can you pm me with order info?

I'm in and looking forward to a great read.

Steve

Steve.

Please do.
Steve, glad you posted this about your new book, just ordered a copy. BB
Steve

Congratulations. Writing is easy compared to promoting. Pm me and I'll try to help you with some promotion ideas that have helped sell my books. It's a tough slog, but eventually, if you have a good book, word of mouth starts selling them. My second book just overtook my first in sales, but the first book got my name out there. The second one is selling because of that, more than my promotional efforts. Most of what I'll tell you can be done quite easily, but it will take a bit of time.

Best.

Dan
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Steve

Congratulations. Writing is easy compared to promoting. Pm me and I'll try to help you with some promotion ideas that have helped sell my books. It's a tough slog, but eventually, if you have a good book, word of mouth starts selling them. My second book just overtook my first in sales, but the first book got my name out there. The second one is selling because of that, more than my promotional efforts. Most of what I'll tell you can be done quite easily, but it will take a bit of time.

Best.

Dan

Thanks, Dan.
When I get a chance to breathe, I'll contact you.

Steve.
Do it. Also, if you have a link to the place where people can buy the book, go to sites like: owly or tinyurl and create a short link. Get me the link and I can start tweeting about it. That will help get the word out more quickly. With each tweet, I'll include the link to the book. I can't guarantee results, but at least a lot of people who aren't on this forum will see it.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Great! I sent you a email, For some reason I thought it would take longer than 5 months.

Got your email. Thanks.

Yes,it actually did take longer than 5 months. Most of what is in the book was written over the course of the last 6 or 7 years. It took 3 months to re-write it and massage it into a book, then get the printer lined up and all the back-and-forth with them took another 2 months.

Normally, it does take a lot longer than 5 months.

Steve.
Just ordered Steve,exactly what I was looking for to pass on to my grandson's..Thank you
Steve, I made a short link and started tweeting about the book. I'll try to add a tweet every day I'm on promoting my own stuff. This is what I tweeted.

Tired of the negative stereotypes given to being a gun owner? Growing Up With Guns by Steve Sorensen http://ow.ly/qqjSs #Humor #Hunting
Congratulations - my book on Kindle is consistently earning me $300 to $350 a month. Not bad for a niche book.

I love the subject matter you chose. You should be able to reach a broader audience.
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Steve, I made a short link and started tweeting about the book. I'll try to add a tweet every day I'm on promoting my own stuff. This is what I tweeted.

Tired of the negative stereotypes given to being a gun owner? Growing Up With Guns by Steve Sorensen http://ow.ly/qqjSs #Humor #Hunting

Thanks, Dan. Maybe it'll help. And maybe I need to join Twitter.

Steve.
I'm in , Pastor. sounds like a great read, I am looking fwd to it..
Me too.... Just ordered it. Looks like a refreshing change of pace.
I, likewise just placed an order. Thanks in advance for what is going to be a pleasure to read!
If you can autograph the one I just bought, I would appreciate it as well. I have a two daughters, one is three, the other is 6 months, hope they appreciate it later as well.
Thanks, PM coming with name and email to match it up.
Jon
I expected a couple of Campfirers to order, but I'm amazed at how many want the book. Whatsa matter? Is Christmas coming? Does everyone have $15 and don't know how to spend it? Are you guys nicer than you pretend to be?

All I can say is "Thanks." No, I can also say, "Keep the orders coming!"

Steve.
All orders placed through PayPal are going out in tomorrow's mail. I will reply to those who are sending payment through snail mail when I get the mail, and send the books out as quickly as possible.

Surprised, and humbled, at the response. Could it be that most Campfire-ers are better than they pretend to be? Thanks.

Steve.
I've sent all books that I've received payment for. (Some snail mail payments � nothing wrong with those � will probably start showing up today.) Those of you whose books I send Saturday should have it in your hands by today.

The book is now on Amazon: [i]Growing Up With Guns[/i] on Amazon.com. Those who have ordered books from me � I'd really appreciate a review on Amazon to help other shoppers.

Thanks.
Slogging through the marketing maze....

Steve.
Congratulations on your endeavor.
Just saw this thread and ordered. Congratulations and best wishes for success. Look forward to a good read.
Steve

Just read your thread and ordered the book, can not wait to get it. I grew up in Wyoming County on the other side of PA and like you I could not wait to start hunting with my family.

I just had an interview with Ray Eye on "Eye on the Outdoors," on KFNS Radio - 590 The FAN and KFNS 100.7 FM in St. Louis, Missouri.

Went well. He heard about my book and squeezed me in for a few minutes. He said he'd do a longer interview in a few weeks when he has more time.

So far, some great feedback on my book, both locally and around the country.

Steve.
I can't wait to get my copy, preacher! When God closes one, He can always open another door....
I have finished the book, it was very good! I really like the way the jackets are done, heavy duty and half folds back on themselves. Thanks for the personalized autograph referencing Matthew 6:33 !! How are the sales doing?
Glad you like it. I've had nothing but positive feedback on it, and I am happy with the quality of the book. I've found a couple of mistakes in it, but if it keeps selling and I need to do another printing, I can correct those. I plan on doing an e-book version, but that might not be for a few months. Mistakes will be corrected there, too.

Sales are going OK. I'm satisfied so far, but I lost a bunch of time for promoting it. The book came to me Nov. 1, and then I went to Texas to hunt Nov. 12 for 10 days. That would have been only a small hiccup in my marketing, except for the fact that my computer went belly-up the first time I opened it in Texas, and I couldn't do anything about it.

When I got back I had to have it diagnosed; the problem was likely a soldering joint in the motherboard. I ended up ordering a new computer and by the time it arrived and I got everything transferred over I lost almost a month.

Still, by the end of the year, I figure I'll have moved about 25% of my books. (That includes complimentary copies to editors, friends who helped, family etc.)

One thing I need is reviews. I have two on Amazon.com, but the more the better. (Hint, hint.)

Thanks.
Steve.
[Linked Image] Here's a P.S. that I should have included in my last post.

Never let an opportunity to make a sale slip by. So, for those who haven't jumped into this thread, my new book Growing Up With Guns is available at Amazon.com for $16.19 plus shipping, or at my own website www.EverydayHunter.com where I'm running a special right now for $17.99 with FREE First Class shipping. (That's a better deal than Amazon.)

Thanks.
Steve.
I'd like to order one -current price?

Mark
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I'd like to order one -current price?

Mark

$17.99 with FREE First Class Shipping. You can go to www.EverydayHunter.com for that deal. Or, in case you'd rather send a check I'm PM'ing you my mailing address.

Thanks.
Steve.
My wife just bought me a stocking stuffer and she doesn't even know it. Can't wait to read it Steve.

Mike
Steve, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your book - we must be "brothers from another mother" - so many similar experiences and points of view. Great job, I am glad I have the book. Bruce
Originally Posted by Odessa
- we must be "brothers from another mother" - so many similar experiences and points of view.

You're not the only one who has said that, Bruce. Thanks.

Steve.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
My wife just bought me a stocking stuffer and she doesn't even know it. Can't wait to read it Steve.

Mike

The book is on its way, Mike. Thanks.

Steve.
Congratulations, just ordered it.
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Congratulations, just ordered it.

Thanks. The book is on its way today.

Steve.
© 24hourcampfire