Home
Posted By: boatme99 Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Do you wear a hat? If so, do you remove it when you enter a building?

Where I live, I'd say about 75% of the males (age 14>) wear a hat.
Out of those, about 97% do NOT remove their when indoors. Not even in a restraunt, while eating.
And I'm not talking just McDonald's here, I mean in nice restaurant s.
I think it shows a complete lack of manners and upbringing.
My father would've dope slapped me if I walked into a building and didn't remove my cover.
Oh, and NEVER place your hat on the table.
How about you?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
You might want to look up the Fedora Forum.

And it is not required to remove your hat when inside every building, certainly not in a foyer, Government building (post office), or fast food shop...rule of thumb is doff to women, social superior (boss)...when doffing NEVER present the inside of your hat to the other person, and hold at waist height.
Remove hat in house, work, church, indoors where you sit to eat, or when talking to an equal, etc.
Posted By: EdM Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I only wear one when I know I will be out in the sun for an extended period. It is always off when indoors. Actually hate wearing the thing. Same with sun glasses. Don't where them and never have.
Posted By: 66niteowl Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a hat a lot and I don't take it off when I enter a building, but when I was a youngster living at home I knew not to come to the table with a cap on. A lot of things have changed in the last several years, my grandmother used to put a dress and gloves on to go to town,but you don't see that anymore. But as far as a man removing his hat when entering a building does show respect and character.
Another thing different now than say 25 years ago in men wearing earrings, nose rings and other fragments of metal hanging off their lips, which has never been for me but hey Jack, to each his own.
Posted By: benchman Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Wear a hat almost all the time, and do not remove it when I enter a building. Went to a restaurant in NH once, an old guy mentioned if I did not remove my hat, he would do it for me. I was not pleased. He did not attempt to remove my hat. Turns out I am not all that civilized after all. Not that I want to be....
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I take mine off in the presence of ladies, or to eat. Other than that, it stays on.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Yep, I wear mostly a 24 hour campfire baseball cap, but sometimes a Crimson Trace one. Uncover inside and ALWAYS when at a table. I place it on a chair, not on the table.
Posted By: TBS Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
never, I have hair!!!!
Posted By: shaman Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a hat from about October 1 to about Memorial Day, pretty steady, and during the summer on weekends. I mostly take it off indoors and at meals. The reasons for wearing differ.

In the fall, it's starting to get cold, and I wear a hat long before I resort to a jacket. It is the easiest way for me to stay warm. That pattern lasts until about turkey season.

I continue to wear a hat after it warms up in the spring. The reason is that I have spring allergies, and I figured out that a good deal of my problem was from my hair catching the pollen and then transmitting it down into my eyes via sweat and oil. By wearing a hat in the spring, I keep my hair cleaner, and have less symptoms.

Memorial Day weekend marks the end of my allergy season, so I lose the hat on a regular basis, and only wear one in the summer to keep the sun and heat off. It's usually a boonie-type and it gets a good dousing of water before I go out, and if its really hot, I may stick an ice cube up there.

Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Everyday, all the time. Generally a felt Stetson or akubra year round. As a rule I never wear a straw.
Posted By: MColeman Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Yep. Baseball style cap. Right now it's a SEC Championship with an AU emblem on the side. smile The nicest restaurant I go to now is Cracker Barrel and I still wear it. Feel naked without it.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I sometimes wake up in the morning with mine still on.

So I guess that's a yes.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a ball cap most of the time, hat when working cattle.
take it off when I eat and put it on a hat peg or my knee. never the table.

Posted By: cra1948 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Wear a watch cap in the cold weather, ball cap on the water, on the tractor, wherever I'm exposed to a lot of sun, but only for that purpose. I take my hat off indoors. When I was a kid if you sat down at the table with a hat on there'd be hell to pay...same way today at our house. We are trying to teach our boys the practice and value of some of our long time social conventions. They say please and thank you and they say grace at every meal. There's enough ignorant white trash around here without our turning more loose on the world.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear one outside almost 100% of the time. I've had cataract surgery and the glare really gets to me.
One of the biggest causes of skin cancer in farmers has proved to be the baseball cap. Farmers used to always wear a brimmed hat but switched to baseball caps when seed companies started handing them out for advertizing. The cancer rate then soared. I've had precancerous scabs removed from both ears a couple times. I usually wear a brimmed hat as a result.

I'll wear it inside stores, etc. but never while eating, in church, or in someone else's house.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Hat's worn outdoors and in buildings. Exception being decent restaurants - it's removed and placed on chair..
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I hold mine in two hands in front of myself when talking to my banker.
Posted By: buckthumper Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a baseball cap all the time and it only comes off my head when I go to sleep. I feel naked without my hat.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Army taught me to uncover when entering a building unless under arms. Since I have a concealed carry permit and am under arms at most all times, I don't uncover. Besides I forget most times to remove it. grin miles
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I am with you TBS, I have hair and I heard wearing a hat makes you bald!!!!!
Flame on
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I only wear a hat when hunting/fishing/working in the sun. I wore a baseball cap a whole bunch as a kid, but I'm no longer a kid so I don't.

Never at the table.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
The fact that caps are referred to as "hats" points out how much time has changed things.

I wear a felt hat every time I step outdoors.

I remove it when entering a private home. If a damn caf� don't want me wearing it, they need to put hat racks right inside the door like they used to.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
Flame on

I don't know if wearing a hat makes you bald, but I know that being bald makes you wear a hat. smile
Originally Posted by curdog4570
The fact that caps are referred to as "hats" points out how much time has changed things.

I wear a felt hat every time I step outdoors.

I remove it when entering a private home. If a damn caf� don't want me wearing it, they need to put hat racks right inside the door like they used to.

Exactly. If a place doesn't want me spitting on the floor they should have spittoons like they used to.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14

I'm bald, so I wear a hat.

In restaurants, I look around and if I see that most of the male customers are wearing their hats while they eat, I'll leave mine on, too.

As a mark of respect for local custom. wink
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
Flame on
Sex makes you bald, not a hat.
Your bald ancestors had sex and you are the result. They were bald, you will be bald. My ancestors had lots of hair on top and so do I.
Real men chew or dip without spitting. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
I'm surprised you don't have gay friends.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm surprised you don't have gay friends.

No you're not.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
If I am out side, I have a hat on, inside, no. It is what mannerly people do, of which a lot of that is lost in the current younger generation, as shown by some of the responses.

As for hardware in guys faces, it only makes them look like they fell face first into a tackle box.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I've got a waxed hat around here someplace, but I haven't worn it in years. I do, however, wear a cap just about every time I leave the house. I take it off in church, menu restaurants, school, and people's homes. I take it off other times and places as it seems appropriate to me.
Posted By: temmi Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Yes I do

Most time I take it off inside

Always when at the table
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Usually a Stetson "gus" style western hat when I'm outdoors.
On hot summer days it's a Resistol straw hat.

Always take it off when I come in the house and hang it on a hat peg by the door.

Take it off in a restraunt where others aren't wearing hats or caps.

Some restraunts around here the waiters even wear caps.

Virgil B.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Most of life can be summed up in a Seinfield episode

What a great show

Hank
Posted By: PINEKNOT Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a hat unless I am sleeping or eating at the table, and church of course.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
One of the things about Bum Phillips I liked, he wore his trademark hat on the game sideline.
Save in the Astrodome, Bum said his mother taught him not to wear a hat indoors.
Originally Posted by boatboy
Most of life can be summed up in a Seinfield episode

Hank

If you're a Yankee....
Posted By: Semper_Fi57 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
What Bum actually said was that his mother taught him not to wear his hat in the house,and he said that the Astrodome was his house.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Left mine in the shop on the table saw yesterday. I wear hats when the weather dictates it. It is never raining indoors, though I wouldn't remove it in a grocery or convenience store.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Yes, military protocol conduct to a certain extent but add...most important, tip the hat to the ladies.

Ball cap, boonie and brimmed western felt or straw. I have the Stetson "Open Road" hat in various stages of condition. This one is my current go to meeting one.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: natman Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a cap almost always when outdoors. I don't automatically remove it when entering a building, but I do always remove it and hang it on the chair / my knee when seated at table.
Posted By: HugAJackass Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I don't bother with hats. They come with too many rules....
Posted By: Hoyt Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I've come to like wearing hats in my older age...still got plenty of hair just like hats...not crazy about caps.

If I could find one of these in the states it'd be my next one.

Christys' Crushable Western

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I have more than a dozen real hats, and probably twice that many caps. I always remove my "cover" when in a restaurant, but it bugs me that so few places these days have hooks or shelves to hold hats. Eating with a hat on is rude, crude, and a sign that your Mom was trailer trash. (Okay, apologies to your Mom. You? No.)
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Yes I wear a hat it's either a Felt or wool western style hat or a baseball cap in the winter it depends on on how I'm feeling and/or what the occasion is.

In the summer it's either a baseball cap or a wide brimmed western style with ventilation screen on the sides. Again the same rules apply as in the winter as to which I wear.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a ball cap all the time, except winter then it is a snow hat. Started wearing one long before I lost my hair. Fun to wear my Glock hat to work since I am surrounded by liberals.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Originally Posted by buckthumper
I wear a baseball cap all the time and it only comes off my head when I go to sleep. I feel naked without my hat.

+1 and I don't go to nice restaurants, The only place I take it off is the court house, out of respect for the judge
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
At last count I had over 125 caps of various strains. I have 2 very good Stetsons (one is over 60years old,bought while in gunsmith school) a couple of Fred Bear type fedoras a couple of booney hats from the army (when I was in they were called fatigue hats) An Australian Leather one I bought in Zimbabwe. So I wear a hat most of the time. I remove it in the house and in a restaurant. Always wear one when hunting as I am bald and that's a bad place to get sunburned.Rarely remove it when talking to someone but do if it is in a business atmosphere NEVER EVER wear a hat in my own house.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Always. Never know when I'm going to bang into something hard and sharp. Hair is not nearly as tough as cloth.
Besides, if I sweat, without a hat or bandanna, it always drips straight onto my glasses.
Then there's glare.
And wind.
"Fine" dining, with a menu, I'll either comb and go naked, or at least take it off when we sit down.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
A lot of traditions need to die. Lots of things USED to be considered disrespectful, but no longer are. I wear both caps and hats at various times depending on the need. Don't wear one to church or other formal meetings. But if I ever put one on I generally leave it on. Taking it off to show "hat head" is worse than leaving it on.

The exception is during prayer and National Anthem at sporting events. I'm not even sure about proper procedure for the National Anthem but have always removed mine. I notice many, including military do not.
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I wear a hat all day every day. Never could understand how the top of my head was anyone else's f"ing business.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
wear one every day. I put it on as I get dressed and take it off when I come home for dinner. Take it off at the dinner table and hang it on my chair. Take it off and hold it over my heart during national anthem at the kids ball games, take it off when I pull over to let a funeral procession pass. Don't go to church, but when I've worked in churches I've left it on. Funerals, no hat, unless it's Mom's family who are West Virginia hill folk. They wear bibs to the funeral so a hat shouldn't offend anyone. They do wear a tie with the bibs though....
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
I'd say "No" - but there are too many witnesses!
Living 40 miles due east of the location of 2d highest skin cancer rate, in the world, Santa Fe, NM (somewhere in Afghanistan is highest) - it is HIGHLY recommended to wear a hat with at least a 4" brim! I figure I've had enough things burned and frozen off my face, but every year, the Doc's find more.
I've worn a hat almost constantly (outdoors) for 30+ years. I mostly wear caps when the wind comes up - I've had more than 1 hat eaten by barbed wire.
Hat goes on, or under a chair in restaurants - I wish they still installed hat racks.

Mark
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/10/14
Have a lucky fishing ball-cap to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Wear a beanie when its cold outside.

Always remove hat upon entering a building.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Yes and yes.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Wear mine at all times,except in church or during the anthem.Am more comfortable with it on and anyone offended is free to ignore me.
Posted By: poboy Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Place a high-dollar Stetson on a hat rack at a restaurant and you may be hatless when you leave.
Posted By: Jesse_James Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
I have one unless I am in church.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Originally Posted by TBS
never, I have hair!!!!
no hat here either... unless fishing...or cold weather
Posted By: Pete E Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Wore a beret for many years, but never bothered with a hat or cap when in civvies. These days I wear a wax cotton ball cap if its raining, or a plain cotton ball cap for protection from the sun.
I don't generally wear a cap indoors, but then again regardless of the location/situation, I don't doff my hat or remove it when talking to someone..

For hunting, I have accumulated several hats, everything from camo ball caps, to traditional a British deerstalker which is actually a very practical piece of clothing...
Posted By: rem141r Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
i wear hats sometime. if its on, its on all the time. in/out, eating, buildings, etc. it took me a while after i got out of the service to get used to it, but now i have no problem. i don't see it as rude.
Posted By: Dale K Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
I wear a hat a lot and I don't take it off when I enter a building, but when I was a youngster living at home I knew not to come to the table with a cap on.

This^. Mom knocked the hat off my head at the table one time, that was enough. Lesson learned.

Whoever posted about ball caps and skin cancer is right. I usually coat my ears, neck and cheeks with sunscreen when I'm going to be outside for any length of time between April and October.

Dale
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Originally Posted by rem141r
i don't see it as rude.

That is because you were never taught proper manners.
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Walked into a Washington DC restaurant one time with some westerners wearing Stetsons. They were asked to remove their hats. They talked slowly and calmly to the manager, and they had dinner wearing their hats.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Walked into a Washington DC restaurant one time with some westerners wearing Stetsons. They were asked to remove their hats. They talked slowly and calmly to the manager, and they had dinner wearing their hats.

Any particular reason for their lack of manners?
Posted By: GeoW Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Outdoors, hat on except for occasions when otherwise is expected..

Indoors, hats off unless in a large public setting such as a mall... Always off if indoors if in a private place or in a sit down dining facility.

If I'm wearing a cap, the bill is always pointed in the direction I'm pointed and the tags removed from the git-go.

My hat is straight to a tad cocked to the right.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
I have a cap on unless I'm at work or at a funeral/wedding. On my own time its really no ones business what I'm wearing and I'm not sorry if it offends. Just the way I see it.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by rem141r
i don't see it as rude.

That is because you were never taught proper manners.

you have no idea what i was taught. your idea of manners means nothing to me or anyone else. go live in the 1800's and wear long pants at the beach or take your hat off anywhere you want. i have more important things to worry about.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
My late dad had good hair and I do now.

We only wore hats when it's very cold or on the boat.

Caps are in now. Some wear them backwards.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Nearly always wear a cap of some kind. Hardly ever wear any of my Cowboy hats, anymore. Unless I'm working out in the sun at the Ranch.

And I always remove my cap when I come in the house. If I'm eating at a Resturant, I always remove my hat. Just the way I was raised. Along with saying Yes Sir & Yes Mam to my elders.
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I only wear a hat when hunting/fishing/working in the sun. I wore a baseball cap a whole bunch as a kid, but I'm no longer a kid so I don't.

Never at the table.

+1 The older I get a hat tends to aggravate me.
When I do wear a hat it always is facing forward with a slight bend.

As a teacher and recently retired baseball coach I make students wear their hats correctly on designated hat days or they can take them off.

Same with my 6yr old son he knows how to wear a hat!!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Years ago, I belonged to the local Moose Fraternal Organization. They had a neat rule. Anyone sitting at the bar with their hat on meant they were buying a round of drinks for everyone. Cured that problem real fast.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Only when fishing or working in the sun, as I burn in about 2 minutes. I remember as a kid I tried wearing a ball cap because all my friends did, but I inevitably forgot it somewhere or lost it. Only time I've worn a hat every day is when I was wrangling for a sheep hunting outfit, it helped to keep the branches out of my eyes and face when riding through the thick stuff at night, and kept the rain of my head.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
boatme99;
Interesting thread you've begun here sir, it makes for a good read on a Saturday afternoon.

I've worn a hat since '81 and a ball cap before that. While I can't be sure of whether or not that's contributed to my low shampoo usage nowadays, I'm going to guess that genetics has more to do with it than hat wearing. wink

For hunting, riding horses or knocking around in the back country it's been a now very weathered Bailey for more than a decade.

The girls and I a few years back stopping for a tailgate lunch beside a mountain river.
[Linked Image]

I try to wear a better felt hat to work and such in winter, switching to straw in summer.

I do take it off indoors unless it's going into a store for say groceries or hardware.

In a restaurant I tend to leave it in the vehicle actually, but in the event I wear it to the building it comes off before entering and it gets to sit beside me on the seat, not on the table ever.

Funny though that until the Corb Lund song came out, I'd never known it wasn't acceptable to put a hat on the bed and if you did, then it had to be upside down.

Here for anyone interested is some Alberta advice on a few things in life.... wink

Thanks again for the thread and all the best to you this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: zxc Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/11/14
Some old peckerhead wore his cowboy hat all the way to Hawaii ( on da plane)last week complete with a 1965 rodeo buckle the size of f'in texass
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
So?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
I remember in high school I got in the shower and realized I still had my hat on. I still wear them a lot but I'm not that bad anymore lol
Posted By: zxc Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
Originally Posted by huntsman22
So?

Ok, I give you the buckle , but the big hat , kinda out of place in a 737 smile
Posted By: whelenndealin Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
I wear a hat pretty much all the time except the obvious exceptions (sleeping, national anthem, shower, etc.)and while eating when when my grandpa is around.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
I wear a hat every time I walk out the door.
Kromer in the winter and ball cap in the summer.
Really should wear a hat with a brim because my ears have really taken a beating over the years but I' haven't found one that the brim didn't get in the way of things about half the time.
And NO I don't wear it at or put it on the table,,, not even sure why that has to be said.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
Originally Posted by Furprick
So?

That's Hunts favorite hat.
Posted By: joshf303 Re: Do you wear a hat? - 01/12/14
Originally Posted by Furprick
So?

Get on one bound to Las Vegas bout early Dec.....grin