Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you wear a hat? If so, do you remove it when you enter a building?

Where I live, I'd say about 75% of the males (age 14>) wear a hat.
Out of those, about 97% do NOT remove their when indoors. Not even in a restraunt, while eating.
And I'm not talking just McDonald's here, I mean in nice restaurant s.
I think it shows a complete lack of manners and upbringing.
My father would've dope slapped me if I walked into a building and didn't remove my cover.
Oh, and NEVER place your hat on the table.
How about you?

Never appeal to a mans "better side", he may not have one.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You might want to look up the Fedora Forum.

And it is not required to remove your hat when inside every building, certainly not in a foyer, Government building (post office), or fast food shop...rule of thumb is doff to women, social superior (boss)...when doffing NEVER present the inside of your hat to the other person, and hold at waist height.
Remove hat in house, work, church, indoors where you sit to eat, or when talking to an equal, etc.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I only wear one when I know I will be out in the sun for an extended period. It is always off when indoors. Actually hate wearing the thing. Same with sun glasses. Don't where them and never have.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear a hat a lot and I don't take it off when I enter a building, but when I was a youngster living at home I knew not to come to the table with a cap on. A lot of things have changed in the last several years, my grandmother used to put a dress and gloves on to go to town,but you don't see that anymore. But as far as a man removing his hat when entering a building does show respect and character.
Another thing different now than say 25 years ago in men wearing earrings, nose rings and other fragments of metal hanging off their lips, which has never been for me but hey Jack, to each his own.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wear a hat almost all the time, and do not remove it when I enter a building. Went to a restaurant in NH once, an old guy mentioned if I did not remove my hat, he would do it for me. I was not pleased. He did not attempt to remove my hat. Turns out I am not all that civilized after all. Not that I want to be....

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take mine off in the presence of ladies, or to eat. Other than that, it stays on.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, I wear mostly a 24 hour campfire baseball cap, but sometimes a Crimson Trace one. Uncover inside and ALWAYS when at a table. I place it on a chair, not on the table.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never, I have hair!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear a hat from about October 1 to about Memorial Day, pretty steady, and during the summer on weekends. I mostly take it off indoors and at meals. The reasons for wearing differ.

In the fall, it's starting to get cold, and I wear a hat long before I resort to a jacket. It is the easiest way for me to stay warm. That pattern lasts until about turkey season.

I continue to wear a hat after it warms up in the spring. The reason is that I have spring allergies, and I figured out that a good deal of my problem was from my hair catching the pollen and then transmitting it down into my eyes via sweat and oil. By wearing a hat in the spring, I keep my hair cleaner, and have less symptoms.

Memorial Day weekend marks the end of my allergy season, so I lose the hat on a regular basis, and only wear one in the summer to keep the sun and heat off. It's usually a boonie-type and it gets a good dousing of water before I go out, and if its really hot, I may stick an ice cube up there.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Everyday, all the time. Generally a felt Stetson or akubra year round. As a rule I never wear a straw.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/10/14.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Baseball style cap. Right now it's a SEC Championship with an AU emblem on the side. smile The nicest restaurant I go to now is Cracker Barrel and I still wear it. Feel naked without it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sometimes wake up in the morning with mine still on.

So I guess that's a yes.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear a ball cap most of the time, hat when working cattle.
take it off when I eat and put it on a hat peg or my knee. never the table.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Wear a watch cap in the cold weather, ball cap on the water, on the tractor, wherever I'm exposed to a lot of sun, but only for that purpose. I take my hat off indoors. When I was a kid if you sat down at the table with a hat on there'd be hell to pay...same way today at our house. We are trying to teach our boys the practice and value of some of our long time social conventions. They say please and thank you and they say grace at every meal. There's enough ignorant white trash around here without our turning more loose on the world.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wear one outside almost 100% of the time. I've had cataract surgery and the glare really gets to me.
One of the biggest causes of skin cancer in farmers has proved to be the baseball cap. Farmers used to always wear a brimmed hat but switched to baseball caps when seed companies started handing them out for advertizing. The cancer rate then soared. I've had precancerous scabs removed from both ears a couple times. I usually wear a brimmed hat as a result.

I'll wear it inside stores, etc. but never while eating, in church, or in someone else's house.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hat's worn outdoors and in buildings. Exception being decent restaurants - it's removed and placed on chair..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I hold mine in two hands in front of myself when talking to my banker.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wear a baseball cap all the time and it only comes off my head when I go to sleep. I feel naked without my hat.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Army taught me to uncover when entering a building unless under arms. Since I have a concealed carry permit and am under arms at most all times, I don't uncover. Besides I forget most times to remove it. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am with you TBS, I have hair and I heard wearing a hat makes you bald!!!!!
Flame on

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (300_savage, 2ndwind, 673, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 375TN, 17 invisible), 1,753 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,874
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.